Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Down

Author Topic: TWO SHIPS PASSING IN THE NIGHT  (Read 12673 times)

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
Re: TWO SHIPS PASSING IN THE NIGHT
« Reply #120 on: March 28, 2012, 11:44:49 PM »

PAGE FIVE DOLLY DANCE!!

Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #121 on: March 28, 2012, 11:48:45 PM »

Well, I'm off.  Tonight, I'm going to see Capital Playhouse's production of Hello, Dolly!

I'm sure that it'll be a lot of fun.  Be back later!

:D

Tonight I saw an absolutely delightful local production of Hello, Dolly!.  The director/choreographer was not a local person and talking to the music director after the show, I learned that he was in a national tour with Carol herself!

And what was really great, he (the director/choreographer) used Gower Champion's original choreography...adapted for the small cast, of course.  It was touching, fun, energetic, very well sung and Dolly was a delight. :D
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #122 on: March 28, 2012, 11:53:34 PM »

The best part was that this spot in their season is when they announce the shows for next season (and season subscribers can resubscribe)!  They're going to do:

Buddy: The Buddy Holly Story
Nuncrackers
Next to Normal
Oliver!
Legally Blonde: The Musical

George

« Reply #123 on: March 28, 2012, 11:56:48 PM »

I have various cast recording for all these shows except for Buddy...that was just one cast recording that I never got.  I remember that a friend of mine told me about the time that went to London and actually saw the original production.  She absolutely loved it.

George

« Reply #124 on: March 28, 2012, 11:59:00 PM »

This message was brought to you by the Onion:

Marching Band Fundraiser

The Onion would like to apologize for erroneously stating that the Fillmore High School marching band car-wash fundraiser will be held Sunday from 1 p.m. to 4 p.m. It will actually be held Saturday from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. The Onion recognized the time and date given were incorrect at the time of publication, but you, dear reader, have no idea—no idea at all—how control over the world's facts becomes a seductive temptress, ceaselessly tormenting our only too-human editors to feel the raw, exhilarating, godlike power of manipulating the truth for our own selfish ends. The price of a car wash is also $5 not $8.

That is hysterical!!

George

« Reply #125 on: March 28, 2012, 11:59:27 PM »

Had a nice chat with one of my former interviewees who entertained me with stories of Raymond Burr's fondness for Marines on leave.

Ooo...do tell! ;)

George

« Reply #126 on: March 28, 2012, 11:59:33 PM »

(PMs are fine, too!)

George

« Reply #127 on: March 29, 2012, 12:00:11 AM »

And THIS post ties the day with the second lowest posting day.

George

« Reply #128 on: March 29, 2012, 12:00:37 AM »

And THIS post passes the second lowest posting day.

:)

George

« Reply #129 on: March 29, 2012, 12:00:50 AM »

Tomorrow will be a very busy day for me.

George

« Reply #130 on: March 29, 2012, 12:01:23 AM »

We're having a staff meeting at 10:00 am, so I have to make sure that I get up on time and actually get to work on time. ::)

George

« Reply #131 on: March 29, 2012, 12:01:37 AM »

Then there will be normal working stuff during the day.

George

« Reply #132 on: March 29, 2012, 12:03:31 AM »

Then tomorrow night, I'm ushering for the 1924 silent movie, Peter Pan, as part of the Washington Center for the Performing Art's Silent Movie Series with Dennis James on the Wurlitzer Theater Organ!

George

« Reply #133 on: March 29, 2012, 12:05:10 AM »

Here's what the WCPA website says:

The Washington Center is proud to present...our fourth year of screening three classic silent films with live music. This season we commemorate the year the original Liberty Theater opened on the current site of the Washington Center with three exciting films:

The series provides a contemporary opportunity to experience a style of entertainment from the Golden Age of Hollywood, and official Center organist Dennis James offers an intriguing look into the history of each film, as well as a new, original score played on the Center’s beautifully restored Andy Crow Wurlitzer pipe organ.

Dennis James has dedicated his professional career to the continuation of the theatrical traditions of, and public interest in, the theater pipe organ. From the time he began concertizing while still in his teens, James has been at the top of the theater organ profession. He has played virtually everywhere pipe organs are to be found, from preserved movie palaces through the United States and Canada to concert halls and theaters in Europe, Australia, and New Zealand.

George

« Reply #134 on: March 29, 2012, 12:06:30 AM »

I love going to these silent movie events.  They don't get a lot of people in the audience, but the ones who come, just love it.

George

« Reply #135 on: March 29, 2012, 12:09:32 AM »

A few years ago, there was a tour group from Australia(!) who were on a tour of the US where the organist was playing.  They came all the way from AUSTRALIA to the UNITED STATES just to see silent movies with live organ accompaniment!  It was so cool and they loved coming to Olympia and other places around the country.

George

« Reply #136 on: March 29, 2012, 12:11:58 AM »

The organist is Dennis James and there's a reference to Olympia on his Wikipedia page:

James is the newly (2010) appointed "Theatre Organist for the Washington Center" a professional position in the Washington Center for the Performing Arts in Olympia, Washington, and also the newly appointed (2010) "House Organist" for the Coleman Theatre, Miami, Oklahoma and "House Organist" for the Lynwood Theatre on Bainbridge Island, Washington, while continuing as the regular silent film organist for the Stanford Theatre in Palo Alto, California), California Theatre in San Jose, California and Poncan Theatre in Ponca City, Oklahoma.

George

« Reply #137 on: March 29, 2012, 12:13:31 AM »

So that's going to be my busy day, tomorrow. :)

George

« Reply #138 on: March 29, 2012, 12:14:05 AM »

But I also really would like to see the silent "Peter Pan" movie.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Up