Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: THE NON-WEAK WEEK  (Read 21424 times)

TCB

• Because I can!
Re:THE NON-WEAK WEEK
« Reply #60 on: June 21, 2004, 09:32:37 AM »

Early each day to the steps of St Paul’s,
The little old bird killer comes.
In his own special way to the people he calls
“Come kill the birds with my crumbs.”

It doesn't have quite the same ring to it.

“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #61 on: June 21, 2004, 09:34:03 AM »

I agree, DR MBarnum, that they're cute as can be. I just hate their actions in my urns! Dig up the lawn all you want, but stay away from my urns!
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #62 on: June 21, 2004, 09:34:46 AM »

From THE LOST WEEKEND:

Don: Shall we dance?
Gloria: You're awfully pretty, Mr. Birnam.
Don: I'll bet you tell that to all the boys.
Gloria: Why natch! Only with you, it's on the level.

Matt H.

« Reply #63 on: June 21, 2004, 09:35:51 AM »

Looking forward to the AFI Tribute to Meryl Streep tonight/. SHould be a good show.

MBarnum

« Reply #64 on: June 21, 2004, 09:36:07 AM »

Thanks for the obituary Panni. I had forgotten that she was married to Artie Shaw. I am sure that was an interesting experience.

I will have to rent The Lost Weekend soon. It is such a wonderful film.

Panni

« Reply #65 on: June 21, 2004, 09:39:21 AM »

Thanks for the obituary Panni. I had forgotten that she was married to Artie Shaw. I am sure that was an interesting experience.

I will have to rent The Lost Weekend soon. It is such a wonderful film.

That it is. And Doris is wonderful in it. Natch.
Her son Jonathan is, I believe, the only child Artie S. ever had with all his wives.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #66 on: June 21, 2004, 09:47:59 AM »

DR Jason, look what all your talk did to the ads at the top of the page. :)

Remember, we're not supposed to talk about what goes on "up there".  :-X

It seems like whatever is posted in the first post affects it...hmmm. ::)

Or not.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2004, 09:48:51 AM by George »
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #67 on: June 21, 2004, 09:50:35 AM »

Thanks for the Doris info, DRPANNI.  Yes, sad news.  Miss Dowling was terrif in THE LOST WEEKEND and THE BLUE DAHILIA (as Alan Ladd's straying wife.)  A recent bio of BIlly Wilder tells the story that he and Doris were thisclose to marriage...until Wilder met a woman named Audrey.  Doris also co-starred as Mark Damon's mother in THE PARTY CRASHERS, the last film of Miss Frances Farmer.

Hmmmmmm....I weighed 145 in school....the most I have ever weighed is about 220.  My goal (the same as other DR's is to be below 200 lbs - although 190 would be nice.)  I am now at 208 lbs, so I am getting there, slowly but surely.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Panni

« Reply #68 on: June 21, 2004, 09:54:37 AM »

The obit doesn't mention Doris' stage work (I first wrote DD - but that's something else in my HHW-speak!). She was, for example, in a fabulous 1973 Broadway revival of THE WOMEN with a cast to die for...
Kim Hunter, Dorothy Loudon, Myrna Loy, Alexis Smith and
Rhonda Fleming (!).

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #69 on: June 21, 2004, 09:59:14 AM »

I must confess that I have never seen THE BLUE DAHLIA.
“One thing’s universal,

Panni

« Reply #70 on: June 21, 2004, 10:06:43 AM »

One Doris Dowling Story and I'm outta here... Doris and my DD Rachel had a very Auntie Mame-type relationship. Not that Rachel was straight-laced or uptight. Far from it. In fact, she was very much like Doris in her way. Thus, when they met, they became instant friends, despite the fact the Doris was, shall we say, a mature woman, although still gorgeous and vital, and Rachel was around 6! So one day Doris announced that she and Rachel were going for a "girls day out."  Which they did. They were gone for ages and when they returned, Rachel was outfitted head to toe in brand new tres sophisticated gear - totally gorgeous and just too too - including a hat - not a baseball cap - but a chapeau. Doris announced, "This is how she should always dress, darling."  (Not an exact quote, natch, but it's been a few years and it makes for a good button to the story.)

William E. Lurie

« Reply #71 on: June 21, 2004, 10:06:52 AM »

Jose---
Isn't the third hour of Today a repeat of the first?  I know they used to do it that way so the show could run in different time zones and show either hours 1 & 2 or 2 & 3 for a complete show.

I'm taping the AVENUE Q and the rest on Regis this week.  And tonight I'm seeing three of the puppeteers (Jennifer, Stephanie and John) in a puppet-free concert since they want to show they can do other things too.
Years from now when you talk of this --- and you will --- be kind.

Jennifer

« Reply #72 on: June 21, 2004, 10:07:57 AM »

It seems like whatever is posted in the first post affects it...hmmm. ::)

Or not.

Not on this page.  Although I cannot figure out whose post did do it.

Jennifer

« Reply #73 on: June 21, 2004, 10:10:41 AM »

For any of you interested in the next season of The Amazing Race (IMO, one of the absolute best reality shows), the team listings are up:

http://www.cbs.com/primetime/amazing_race5

This is really a great show. There are 11 teams of 2 and they race around the world. You get to see amazing places, interesting relationships, and cool activities.  Very fun show.

Jennifer

« Reply #74 on: June 21, 2004, 10:15:57 AM »

Jose---
Isn't the third hour of Today a repeat of the first?  I know they used to do it that way so the show could run in different time zones and show either hours 1 & 2 or 2 & 3 for a complete show.

The Today show used to only be 2 hours.  But now it's 3 hours.

They used to do what DR Jose described here too (showing the Today show from 7am-9am then Regis & Kelly from 9-10am, and then the last hour of Today at 10am).  But they stopped doing that. So now it's Today show 7-10am. And Regis at 10am (delayed one hour). Although another channel here does show Regis live at 9am.  Okay if anyone understood that... :)
« Last Edit: June 21, 2004, 10:17:37 AM by Jennifer »

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #75 on: June 21, 2004, 10:22:35 AM »

Jose---

I'm taping the AVENUE Q and the rest on Regis this week.  And tonight I'm seeing three of the puppeteers (Jennifer, Stephanie and John) in a puppet-free concert since they want to show they can do other things too.

No.  That's NPR.  Well, NPR's "Morning Edition" and "All Things Considered" are actually two hours long.  Depending on the market, they usually run in three or four hour slots with the "first" hour being repeated.

As for "Today" - the third hour is a new hour of stuff.  It's usually more on the lite side - lifestyle stuff, entertainers, additional songs from any performers they had on in the second hour, etc.  The local affiliates, however, are only obigated to run the first two hours.  Well, that's how it was when they added the third hour two(?) years ago.  I'm not sure they're required to run all three hours now.  *In DC, they run "Today" from 7:00-10:00, and then they follow up with a full hour of local news.  Quite the "info" morning.

When they show it in different time zones, the hours are kept in the same order - otherwise, all the internal promos would be out of sync.  The only time that order is changed or interrupted is when a major news story breaks.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #76 on: June 21, 2004, 10:25:58 AM »

oohh.. Spooky - DR Jennifer and I posted about the same topic at the same time!!!!

JINX!
Make Your Own Luck.

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #77 on: June 21, 2004, 10:27:23 AM »

DR MBarnum: You FEED the squirrels????

Well, it's either FEED them or EAT them!

SO, to keep on DR Jane's good side, let's feed them

der "never-met-a-rodent-I didn't like" Brucer
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

Donald

• So dramatic!
« Reply #78 on: June 21, 2004, 10:33:48 AM »

The brand new Broadway Radio Show went up late last night......it's called "June Moon".....hope you all enjoy.

Also, next Sunday will be an all new "Covers" show with David Levy......that show will run for 2 weeks as I will be vacationing in Hawaii.  A new show will post on July 11th.

Thanks!

Donald
DONALD FELTHAM
Host of the Broadway Radio Show

MBarnum

« Reply #79 on: June 21, 2004, 10:34:36 AM »

Thanks for the Amazing Race link Jennifer! I love that show...one of the best reality/games shows around. It is great fun to see the different countries that they get to travel through...such beautiful sights and interesting towns and cities.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #80 on: June 21, 2004, 10:42:33 AM »

... In the meantime, I've been dealing with a bunch of incoming e-mails this morning from my colleges Arts Alumni list.  Apparently, some sort of worm got into their system... So as everyone has started replying to them to be removed from the lists, everyone else on the list is also getting those responses.  So...  I've been getting about 3-4 every five minutes...  Some I read, some I don't.  However, the last one did state the the school was currently in the process of "destroying" their e-mailing list.. We shall see.
Make Your Own Luck.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #81 on: June 21, 2004, 10:46:19 AM »

I believe those unmentionables picked up their topics from AFI and Meryl Streep in MattH's post.
“One thing’s universal,

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #82 on: June 21, 2004, 11:05:20 AM »

DR Jennifer, I put out peanuts for the squirrels in the back yard each day. Usually I do it in the morning before I leave work. They are hungry little rascals!

Boy, you get off easy! At about 6 AM I venture out to be greeted by 4-6 anxious squirrels (if I'm late, I get very accusatory looks). They retreat a bit and watch while I fill the redwood Squirrel feeder mounted on the Fir tree with a "Premium Nutritional Fortified Squirrel Food" which I buy in 10 lb bags. I then put an ear of dried corn on a spike mounted on the retaining wall (dried ears of corn come in 6.5 lb bags). I then fill the large metal cage bird feeder (also affixed to the Fir) with a large Birdola seed bar (which the squirrels enjoy more than birds because they can swing on it like a jungle-gym while they eat)! Then I fill the lamp-post bird feeder with "Vitamin and Mineral Enriched Fruit Flavored" Wild Bird Feed (50lb bags). The feeder is mounted atop a tall slender metal pole, and has a large plastic cap that covers the top (with a small "filling hole" in it). The seed trickles down thru small slits in the base for the birds. The squirrels look real cute with their tiny little paws shinning up the pole to feast at the feeder. (They soon figured out that they could climb on the retaining wall support beam and make an Olympic jump and grab onto the feeder ledge and then pull themselves up. They have long ago figured how to pull off the cover, enlarge the feeding hole, and hop inside for an easier feed. )  These chores complete, we then move on to the Large White Oak and fill the Woodpecker Feeder with a nice Woodpecker Feed Bar and then fill the Suet cage with a "Nutty Treat" suet cake.

Then it's back to bed - and time to watch the morning Carnival of the Animals. Grackles and Squirrels competing for everything. Blue Jays and Cardinals waiting for an empty slot. The Crackles are sloppy eaters, and scatter seed all around the pole feeder, and the Mourning Doves scrounge on the ground for the food. The squirrels are also pretty sloppy with the ear of corn, so corn kernels dropped over the wall are eagerly gobbled up by Cardinals or Blue Jays. Should a squirrel leave the corn ear unattended, a Jay will swoop down and snatch a kernel and fly away.

When the Rosy Breasted Female woodpecker shows up, she tries to shoo the Crackles away from the feeders on the Oak - with reasonable success. When her Hubby shows up, he just attacks the Crackles and drives them away (he has been known to chase them through the trees cawing "and don't come back!").

During courtship time, the Female Cardinal sits in the grass - then the male goes and grabs some food and comes back and pops it into her mouth.

Now the feeder dance is becoming more entertaining because we have juveniles getting their first "wings".

The Blondes (Bonnie and Buster) now sit on my bed, front legs on the window sill, and wildlife watch with me.

der Brucer (thinking the orphans in Africa should eat as well as my menagerie)

We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

MBarnum

« Reply #83 on: June 21, 2004, 11:19:37 AM »

Der Brucer, what fun! I need to get some appropriate squirrel feeders soon. I had one feeder attached to the base of the large tree but it collapsed under the weight of a plump pussycat who was climbing the tree and used it as a step (I didn't mention Freddy's name so as not to embarrass him...oh...oops!). Now I just place some peanuts on the stones around the tree...sometimes, however, the crows will get to them first.

How I wish we had cardinals in Oregon...they are so beautiful!
« Last Edit: June 21, 2004, 11:20:01 AM by MBarnum »

Matt H.

« Reply #84 on: June 21, 2004, 11:22:03 AM »

The obit doesn't mention Doris' stage work (I first wrote DD - but that's something else in my HHW-speak!). She was, for example, in a fabulous 1973 Broadway revival of THE WOMEN with a cast to die for...
Kim Hunter, Dorothy Loudon, Myrna Loy, Alexis Smith and
Rhonda Fleming (!).

I saw that production (as I've mentioned here several times over the years), and it was one of the most hilarious, entertaining evenings in the theater I've ever had. Comparing it to the Cynthia Nixon version which aired a year or so ago on PBS put the newer version to shame. Those fabulous ladies knew how to milk those lines for EVERYTHING they were worth. They were all simply sensational.

Jason

« Reply #85 on: June 21, 2004, 11:28:02 AM »

MBarnum: Cardinals are the state bird of Kentucky. I'll try to get a couple of pictures of them if I can while I'm home next week.

William E. Lurie

« Reply #86 on: June 21, 2004, 11:30:15 AM »

Thanks for the info on the TODAY show.  I think the last time I saw it Dave Garroway was still the host (with J. Fred Muggs as his sidekick).  In those days they did only three hours but the the third hour was a duplicate of the first.  The order shown depended on the timezone.  It was on live from 7:00 to 9:00 in both the Eastern and Central timezones, but only the second hour was on both at the same time with the other hour coming first in the East and second in the Midwest.  I guess videotape made that unnecessary, although I don't know when a third hour of new material was added.  Since in-show promos were almost unheard of then, it didn't matter which order they were shown in but I do remember they said goodbye to viewers who had seen both hours and told other viewers to stay tuned for the next hours, so it was no secret that they were doing this.

In the Eastern timezone there would then be an hour of local programming, while in the Central timezone the network morning shows would start immediately after TODAY at 9:00 and be shown at the same time in the East where it was 10:00.  And for several years, the program that started off the NBC morning lineup was DING DONG SCHOOL with Miss Francis (actually Dr. Francis Horowitz).  It was very low key... Miss Francis was sort of a female Mister Rogers except she didn't change into a sweater and sneakers.
Years from now when you talk of this --- and you will --- be kind.

Jennifer

« Reply #87 on: June 21, 2004, 11:40:23 AM »

Okay if the ads at the top of the page start advertising squirrel toys and food I will be mad.

OMG, you people ARE CRAZY!  Squirrel feeders?  Squirrel toys?  Squirrel food?  Okay am I the only one who doesn't care for them?  

Stuart

• No one is alone.....
« Reply #88 on: June 21, 2004, 11:49:44 AM »

For any of you interested in the next season of The Amazing Race (IMO, one of the absolute best reality shows), the team listings are up:

http://www.cbs.com/primetime/amazing_race5

This is really a great show. There are 11 teams of 2 and they race around the world. You get to see amazing places, interesting relationships, and cool activities.  Very fun show.

I must admit that I do like AMAZING RACE very much.....people always pooh-pooh me when I tell them I watch it, but I always tell them it's sort of like watching a travelogue.  But an interesting one!

The lowest adult weight I have ever been, I believe, was 140.  It is the weight to which I always aspire when I am dieting, which is constantly.  The highest I ever recall seeing on a scale was 185 or 187.  I don't recall which it was....all I know is that I was unhappy about it.  I am currently somewhere between 140 and that number.

Panni

« Reply #89 on: June 21, 2004, 11:50:51 AM »

I have a bathroom window which almost touches a brick dividing wall. Yesterday two squirrels got into a mock fight out there. The noise was unbelievable. The Wonderdog went to hide. Squirrel attack!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Up