Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Down

Author Topic: THE NON-WEAK WEEK  (Read 21601 times)

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
Re:THE NON-WEAK WEEK
« Reply #90 on: June 21, 2004, 11:51:16 AM »

And one for Mahler!

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #91 on: June 21, 2004, 11:53:32 AM »

And speaking of Mahler... My earlier Doris-Rachel story answers the question... "Does anyone still wear a hat?"

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #92 on: June 21, 2004, 11:56:34 AM »

Hey, Jason. I received and just answered your PM.

Jennifer, I haven't fed them for a long time, but I used to feed the squirrels in Union Square Park here in NYC. I like the squirrels more than the pigeons, which poop on everything and fly around in packs.

On our NYC sojourn a few weeks ago we were greeted to a park sign forbidding the feeding of pigeons!

"Feed the Birds, Ten bucks or three days"

der Brucer (noting the absence of "No Hunting" signs)
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #93 on: June 21, 2004, 11:57:50 AM »

Well...WEL...that was back in the day when the most important thing on a television news show was what they were talking about now....not what they would be talking about in the next half hour.

Now all three network affiliates here have 90 minutes of news divided into three half hour blocks.. 5, 5:30, and 6 o'clock.  Most of the time is spent saying...coming up at 5:30 or coming up at 6 o'clock.  And of course they can charge more for advertising time in the highest rated half hour.  There is NOT 90 minutes of news in Indiana every day.  And the special and exclusives are mostly silly manufactured stuff.  How many reports can we have on asbestos and lead paint?  And of course SEX stories during sweeps week are the order of the day....lingerie clubs, strippers, and prostitution never make the promos until May and November!

I also remember when the "newsbreaks" first started.  In between network shows there would be a minute or so of news.  Now the "newsbreaks" tell us NOTHING, they just tell us to watch the eleven o'clock news for the details on some fantastic story.....   My favorite was a couple of years ago when the woman came on to breathlessly tell us:  "Water in some Indiana counties  is full of poison...is your life in danger?  Watch Channel 8 news at eleven for details!"  Can you imagine the panic some people may have felt?  Turns out that a couple of wells on abandoned farms had seepage from the unused septic tanks.....  Typical.....
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

DERBRUCER

« Reply #94 on: June 21, 2004, 11:59:25 AM »

They don't eat the pigeons, they just scare them away. The pigeons are too smart to get scared by those silly fake owls and hawks on rooftops and windowsills all over NY. You need to use the real thing to scare them away.

Try sautéing a little garlic in butter - that should scare them away!

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #95 on: June 21, 2004, 11:59:36 AM »

Oooh... I almost forgot to tell you all!

Yesterday I saw the Olympic torch as it passed TWO blocks away from my house during the Montreal torch relay marathon.  

It was very exciting... especially seeing how many people showed up to cheer the runners on :)

In 1984, when the Olympic torch passed through Olympia, it was about four blocks from my house!  After it passed and people were leaving and crossing the four lane (two in each direction) road, no one was watching where they were going.  This girl right in front of me got her foot run over by the front passenger tire of a slowly passing car!  The driver didn't know what was going on and it took a few seconds for him to realize that he needed to back up.  I saw it happen, but was walking too fast to do anything.  There were enough people around the girl to help her, so I don't feel guilty about not being able to...not that I would've known what to do, anyway.  I think I'd heard later that she was okay.
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #96 on: June 21, 2004, 12:04:43 PM »

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]WE'RE
BAAAAACCCCCKKKKKKKK!!!![/move]
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #97 on: June 21, 2004, 12:06:14 PM »

Welcome back JMK & family!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #98 on: June 21, 2004, 12:06:51 PM »

For WEL and all the rest of us of a certain age....our first teacher, Miss Frances!  ;D

DERBRUCER

« Reply #99 on: June 21, 2004, 12:08:02 PM »

Remember, we're not supposed to talk about what goes on "up there".  :-X

"A Little Mermaid" reference?

MBarnum

« Reply #100 on: June 21, 2004, 12:15:24 PM »

....lingerie clubs, strippers, and prostitution never make the promos until May and November!

Wow, I didn't even know they had such things in Indiana! LOL!

I agree...sometimes local news can be very silly. Here if we get even a dusting of snow up in Portland they will have 24 hour news reports and any other newsworthy stories be damned! That just drives me crazy....

..and if Salem were to fall into a sink-hole taking the entire populace with it the Portland stations (there are no Salem TV stations any more) would only mention it in passing...if at all! LOL!
« Last Edit: June 21, 2004, 12:15:43 PM by MBarnum »

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #101 on: June 21, 2004, 12:29:36 PM »

Kind of like in BEGINNING OF THE END....a whole town disappears, and the media covered it up.   How do you begin to cover up a thing like that?

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #102 on: June 21, 2004, 12:40:18 PM »

Still haven't found out what happened in chat, but I guess I'll get it from the Noel's mouth, since I'm about to join he and Joy for lunch.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #103 on: June 21, 2004, 12:52:32 PM »

Actually, most of the boxes are labeled.  It's just that the boxes are on top of each other in stacks and you can't always see the labels without removing the stack in front.  I'm sure there is a better way to organize but I haven't figured it out yet.  If there were shelves, now that would be a different story.  The boxes with music are also all labeled, but the box you want is always at the bottom and these boxes are HEAVY.
DR WEL was certainly on the right track, BK.  Having the boxes numbered, in a clear manner, is the best start.  

What I would add to this is keeping a catalog, in a loose-leaf binder, with a contents list for each box in the catalog.  I used to do this sort of thing for a living, where I would have to purge old, closed insurance claims files from the shelves and send them to storage.  When someone wanted one of those files, it was (relatively) easy for me to look up which box contained the file and have it pulled from storage.  Of course, on occasion someone would want a file that I'd pulled and boxed but not yet sent to our storage facility.  And yes, that box would almost always be the one on the bottom of the stack.  There's no getting around that.

I almost wish I were on the West Coast, so I could help with this project.  Damn, I was a good clerk!   8)
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #104 on: June 21, 2004, 01:18:41 PM »

TOD: Yeah, right!  Uh-huh!  Sure!  :D

DRMatt:  What are those dates you're going to be in New York?  Have you filled up all your evening time or do you have time to go out and have nice dinners?

« Last Edit: June 21, 2004, 01:19:15 PM by RLP »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #105 on: June 21, 2004, 01:21:50 PM »

LOL...enjoy the lunch MR BK.  It's just that some of us are completely uninterested in Mr Bill Clinton....and some of us can't believe it.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #106 on: June 21, 2004, 01:22:44 PM »

Okay if the ads at the top of the page start advertising squirrel toys and food I will be mad.

OMG, you people ARE CRAZY!  Squirrel feeders?  Squirrel toys?  Squirrel food?  Okay am I the only one who doesn't care for them?  

Yes, Jennifer, you are!   :D

“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #107 on: June 21, 2004, 01:25:55 PM »

Remember, we're not supposed to talk about what goes on "up there".  :-X

Which explains why we talk so much about what goes on "down there".
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #108 on: June 21, 2004, 01:29:39 PM »

LOL...enjoy the lunch MR BK.  It's just that some of us are completely uninterested in Mr Bill Clinton....and some of us can't believe it.

Perhaps, if you had referred to President Clinton as Mr. Bill Clinton last evening, instead of the way you did, no one would have been offended.
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #109 on: June 21, 2004, 01:31:14 PM »

No, I say what I think.  It doesn't matter anyway.  No need to continue the discussion here.

DERBRUCER

« Reply #110 on: June 21, 2004, 01:34:34 PM »

Wow, I didn't even know they had such things in Indiana! LOL!

I propose an entry for the Indiana Film Festival:

Hong Kong's NIGHT CORRIDOR to premiere at 2004 Pride International Film Festival in Manila, Philippines.

2004 Pride International Film Festival, in cooperation with Pure Film Arts Syndicate HK, will premiere director Julian Lee's "Night Corridor".

Night Corridor, a dark gay thriller, was premiered at the 2003 Hong Kong International Film Festival, and was based on Lee's own novel featuring metaphorical exposition, painterly detail, and enough sordid stuff to get your blood pumping. It also features a stand-in
for the Devil Incarnate, some creepy shenanigans involving twins, a planned devil spawn, and more hidden revelations than any film has a right to. All the above could be looked upon as a validation of the film's artistic aspirations, of which this feature means stunningly
more than its plot and genre classifications would allow.

der Brucer

"...metaphorical exposition...painterly detail..  sordid stuff.." What a treat for the Ladies Auxiliary!

"...Devil Incarnate...creepy shenanigans..devil spawn.."

Whatever happed to "Lions and Tigers and Bears, Oh My!"?

DERBRUCER

« Reply #111 on: June 21, 2004, 01:42:28 PM »

Daily Levity - PART ONE

Two Arabs boarded a flight out of London. One took a window seat and the other sat next to him in the middle seat. Just before takeoff, an American sat down in the aisle seat.

After takeoff, the American kicked his shoes off, wiggled his toes and was settling in when the Arab in the window seat said, "I need to get up and get a coke."

"Don't get up," said the American, "I'm in the aisle seat. I'll  get it for you." As soon as he left, one of the Arabs picked up the American's shoe and spat in it. When he returned with the coke, the other Arab said,  "That looks good, I'd really like one, too."

Again, the American obligingly went to fetch it. While he was gone the other Arab picked up his other shoe and spat in it. When the American returned, they all sat back and enjoyed the flight.

As the plane was landing, the American slipped his feet into his shoes and knew immediately what had happened.

"Why does it have to be this way?" he asked. "How long must this go on?" This fighting between our nations? This hatred? This animosity? This spitting in shoes and pissing in cokes?"

der Brucer (who is so disappointed he missed chat last evening. I sure do enjoy a good Feather Ruffle - why that's almost as much fun as correcting BK's constant usual regular often sporadic uncustomary posting errors.)

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #112 on: June 21, 2004, 01:43:57 PM »

TOD: Yeah, right!  Uh-huh!  Sure!  :D

DRMatt:  What are those dates you're going to be in New York?  Have you filled up all your evening time or do you have time to go out and have nice dinners?

Actually, I'm going with three friends, and we'll be bumming around together during the entire trip. Oh, yes, every night has a musical already booked (and Saturday matinee, too!) Basically a month from now. I can't wait!
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

DERBRUCER

« Reply #113 on: June 21, 2004, 01:44:54 PM »

Daily Levity PART TWO:

News Anchor Dan Rather and Peter Jennings,  NPR Reporter Cokie Roberts and a U.S. Marine were hiking through the desert one day when they were captured by Iraqis. They were tied up, led to the village and brought before the leader.

The leader said, "I am familiar with your western custom of granting the condemned a last wish. Before we kill and dismember you, do you have any last requests?"

Dan Rather said, "Well, I'm a Texan; so I'd like one last bowl full of hot, spicy chili." The leader nodded to an underling who left and returned with the chili. Rather ate it all and said, "Now I can die content."

Peter Jennings said "I am Canadian; so I'd like to hear the English National Anthem one last time".  The leader nodded to a terrorist who studied the United States and knew the music was the same as to 'God Bless America'.  He returned with some rag-tag musicians and played the music.  Jennings sighed and declared he could now die peacefully.

Cokie Roberts said, "I'm a reporter to the end. I want to take out my tape recorder and describe the scene here and what's about to happen. Maybe someday someone will hear it and know that I was on the job till the end."

The leader directed an aide to hand over the tape recorder and Roberts dictated some comments. She then said, "Now I can die happy."

The leader turned and said, "And now, Mr. U.S. Marine, what is your final wish?"

"Kick me in the ass," said the Marine."

"What?" asked the leader. "Will you mock us in your last hour?"

"No, I'm not kidding. I want you to kick me in  the ass," insisted the Marine. So the leader shoved him into the open, and kicked him in the ass.

The Marine went sprawling, but rolled to his knees, pulled a 9mm pistol from inside his cammies, and shot the leader dead. In the resulting confusion, he leapt to his knapsack, pulled out his M4 carbine, and sprayed the Iraqis with gunfire. In a flash, the Iraqis were dead or fleeing for their lives.

As the Marine was untying Rather, Jennings and Roberts, they asked him, "Why didn't you just shoot  them?  Why did you ask them to kick you in the ass?"

"What!?" said the Marine, "And have you three liberals call ME the aggressor

DERBRUCER

« Reply #114 on: June 21, 2004, 01:46:17 PM »

Gee, I wish I said that!

“O'Reilly positions himself as a populist worried about illegal aliens' getting across the border and taking our jobs. (I'm worried about illegal aliens' not getting across the border and leaving us with jobs, such as mowing the lawn and painting the house.)”

P. J. O'Rourke

The Atlantic Monthly | July/August 2004

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #115 on: June 21, 2004, 01:46:46 PM »

LOL...all of the terrible things that were said here on the main board about Ronald Reagan and the daily bulletins here about GWB's performance...and I never say a thing.  It doesn't matter.  Everyone has a right in America to think and say what he thinks.  That's what's great.

But I say one word IN THE CHAT ROOM when you know who's name is brought up - and the world caves in.

I will see you AFTER the election, maybe, HHW.

I have not begun to tell you what I think about that man, and it is not important that it be expressed here.  But until last night, or today, I thought I was free to do so, if I wished.  

DERBRUCER

« Reply #116 on: June 21, 2004, 01:51:26 PM »

OMG, you people ARE CRAZY!  Squirrel feeders?  Squirrel toys?  Squirrel food?  Okay am I the only one who doesn't care for them?  

Might I then presume you support the bearing of firearms for the purpose of limiting the squirrel population?

der Brucer

::Exits Stage Right singing..:

Spring is here, a-suh-puh-ring is here.
Life is skittles and life is beer.
I think the loveliest time of the year is the spring.
I do, don't you? 'Course you do.
But there's one thing that makes spring complete for me,
And makes ev'ry Sunday a treat for me.

All the world seems in tune
On a spring afternoon,
When we're poisoning pigeons in the park.
Ev'ry Sunday you'll see
My sweetheart and me,
As we poison the pigeons in the park.

When they see us coming, the birdies all try an' hide,
But they still go for peanuts when coated with cyanide.
The sun's shining bright,
Ev'rything seems all right,
When we're poisoning pigeons in the park.

Lalaalaalalaladoodiedieedoodoodoo

We've gained notoriety,
And caused much anxiety
In the Audubon Society
With our games.
They call it impiety,
And lack of propriety,
And quite a variety
Of unpleasant names.
But it's not against any religion
To want to dispose of a pigeon.

So if Sunday you're free,
Why don't you come with me,
And we'll poison the pigeons in the park.
And maybe we'll do
In a squirrel or two,
While we're poisoning pigeons in the park.

We'll murder them all amid laughter and merriment.
Except for the few we take home to experiment.
My pulse will be quickenin'
With each drop of strychnine
We feed to a pigeon.
It just takes a smidgin!
To poison a pigeon in the park.

Tom Lehrer (who else!)

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #117 on: June 21, 2004, 02:04:50 PM »

Why not?

Because BK asked us not to do so within a day or so of their first appearance.

Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Jed

« Reply #118 on: June 21, 2004, 02:14:04 PM »

Topic d'jour...

I was a spherical child.  The last time I was under 200 lbs, I was probably in 4th or 5th grade.  I had a 36-inch waist by age 9.  I'm still a rather large guy, but thankfully not to the extremes I used to be!  I'm six-foot even, with a very large bone frame, currently probably about 260-265, I'd guess (haven't actually stepped on a scale in years), with a 42-inch waist.  Not really sure, but I'd guess I've maxed out around 285-290 at some point.  Best weight I've been was at the end of summer 2000.  Six shows a week in repertory summer stock, plus working outdoors 30 hrs/wk, got me down to 235ish.
I sat beside the class clown... and I studied him

Jed

« Reply #119 on: June 21, 2004, 02:17:38 PM »

It's hot and it's monotonous...

Current weather report from Jedland... 95 degrees.  So very, very thankful that we only have 14% humidity!  Still a few hours to get warmer...
I sat beside the class clown... and I studied him
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Up