Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: THE DROWSY ME  (Read 40479 times)

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
Re: THE DROWSY ME
« Reply #60 on: April 16, 2012, 10:27:39 AM »

Page three!
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #61 on: April 16, 2012, 10:28:45 AM »

Thanks for the wishes.

Speaking of TITANIC the musical, I'm listening to DEATH TAKES A HOLIDAY and I must say I'm prone to saying it's another unmitigated disaster.  I actually like a lot of the music, but, oy, Yeston's lyrics are pretty lame "at times.

"Be Italian
You rapscallion."

Need anyone say more? (Thankfully, that line was deleted from the movie.)
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

Doug R

« Reply #62 on: April 16, 2012, 10:31:39 AM »

I entirely skipped the miniseries this weekend.  Saturday night my sister and I opted to watch GREAT EXPECTATIONS which I had DVR'ed.  I enjoyed Gillian Anderson's creepy performance but she was *not* playing Miss Havisham (more like a less lucid Ghost of Christmas Past.)  Overall, I found it way too emo in tone--hard as it is to imagine, but they managed to suck the joy out of the book for this adaption.

I enjoyed the first half very much.  But the second half was too dreary for words.  The adult Pip was BORING and uninvolving and dull.   Whoever cast him did it for looks, not talent. 

Agree partly on Gillian Anderson.  She was a bit too young in appearance, and seemed less like Miss Havisham and more like what you suggested..."the ghost of Christmas day before yesterday".  They needed a Martita Hunt!!!

Yes, the first half was very good but it didn't hold up after that and Estella was just..... wrong.

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #63 on: April 16, 2012, 10:32:55 AM »

Thanks for the wishes.

Speaking of TITANIC the musical, I'm listening to DEATH TAKES A HOLIDAY and I must say I'm prone to saying it's another unmitigated disaster.  I actually like a lot of the music, but, oy, Yeston's lyrics are pretty lame "at times.

"Be Italian
You rapscallion."

Need anyone say more? (Thankfully, that line was deleted from the movie.)

How about:

It melts, but not in my breast

With "my" a melisma.  Oy and vey.
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

Doug R

« Reply #64 on: April 16, 2012, 10:33:31 AM »

At the lunch get together I had a delicious plate of bacon egg and chips and several (I won't say how many!) pints of beer.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #65 on: April 16, 2012, 10:45:10 AM »

The production of Titanic that I posted links to yesterday was the Australian production.

After viewing this production I felt it was like seeing it for the first time. I saw the equity tour without the elaborate NYC sets. I have practically no memory of this theater going experience.

Because it SUCKED!!!!!   Well, that's not totally true - it was sung well.  But the physical production was SO bad.  I saw it twice, once in LA (special trip just to see it) and once in SF.  Same production.  I loved the score, I think I just closed my eyes  LOL

I tend to agree. I liked the idea of not showing the ship during the song where they board. And I love most of the music, but I remember a few really cheap moments, one that looked like black garbage bags being used for water at night. Another was of the tiny boat sinking.

But I also remember a sea of beautiful voices, especially in "Ladies' Maid."

The Broadway production was one of my least favorite evenings of the theatre: poor libretto, ugly set, lousy direction, an unbearable Victoria Clark, but every time the music began there was finally some drama,
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Ginny

« Reply #66 on: April 16, 2012, 10:47:00 AM »

TOD - broiled, baked, or poached fish.  Not fried - the coating may be too crunchy.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Ginny

« Reply #67 on: April 16, 2012, 10:47:21 AM »

Off to pick up my Mother - bye for now!
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #68 on: April 16, 2012, 10:48:27 AM »

BK, as I walked up to my apartment building, there was a middleaged gent leaving it. He looked familiar but I couldn't place him. He recognized me at once. It was Ray Marchica. He's playing a jazz date with my neighbor Mark Soskin.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #69 on: April 16, 2012, 11:27:57 AM »

The production of Titanic that I posted links to yesterday was the Australian production.

After viewing this production I felt it was like seeing it for the first time. I saw the equity tour without the elaborate NYC sets. I have practically no memory of this theater going experience.

Mike, I think that that's the region 2 version that I was able to <ahem> "acquire" (download) and burn to a DVD.  Even though I burned it on a regular (US) blank DVD, it still plays as a region 2 DVD.
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #70 on: April 16, 2012, 11:29:18 AM »

Good morning, all!  I slept later than I intended, and now i am dressed and moving about. When the alarm went off, I was dreaming about a release party for the Herbert songs.

So, I began this post about 30 minutes ago to be interrupted by bad news on the recording front. I believe we've lost our leading man and still haven't confirmed our juvenile lead. Damnation!

So, I've been looking at British baritones for replacing Andrew as Sir John Copeland. My thoughts are this:
James Cleverton:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3liGTuqYCto

Richard Morrison
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CxTrjScVw1c

~~~Continued Casting Vibes for Elmore!!~~~

THIS short clip of James Cleverton as Don Giovanni is rather nice. ;)
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #71 on: April 16, 2012, 11:29:30 AM »

Betsy and I have managed to stay married for 18 years as of today.  I have a sneaking suspicion it's been easier for me than for her.

A Very Happy Anniversary to JMK and Betsy!! ;D

George

« Reply #72 on: April 16, 2012, 11:29:38 AM »

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #73 on: April 16, 2012, 11:33:32 AM »

elmore, I remember Ray very well - terrific drummer.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #74 on: April 16, 2012, 11:34:12 AM »

I slept till eleven, which I needed.  Juliana will be here in thirty minutes and I am seeing A New Brain this evening, so there is a LOT to do this afternoon before I leave.

John G.

« Reply #75 on: April 16, 2012, 11:36:15 AM »

Because it SUCKED!!!!!   Well, that's not totally true - it was sung well.  But the physical production was SO bad.  I saw it twice, once in LA (special trip just to see it) and once in SF.  Same production.  I loved the score, I think I just closed my eyes  LOL

I tend to agree. I liked the idea of not showing the ship during the song where they board. And I love most of the music, but I remember a few really cheap moments, one that looked like black garbage bags being used for water at night. Another was of the tiny boat sinking.

The Broadway production was one of my least favorite evenings of the theatre: poor libretto, ugly set, lousy direction, an unbearable Victoria Clark, but every time the music began there was finally some drama,

Miss Vicki chirping about the first class didn't set your heart to do a dit-dit-da-dit-da-dit?
― Voltaire

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #76 on: April 16, 2012, 11:40:06 AM »

For our Titanic nutcases Aficionados:

FEASTING ON THE TITANIC

Contains history, details, photos, and recipes

The authors are Rehoboth friends - a Book Editor and an Epiccopal priest (a gay couple)

der Brucer

Please note- no damn Tofu in sight!

(Oh dear - does failure to provide a Tofu option doom an establishment to disaster?)
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

Matthew

• You there, why are you so late?
« Reply #77 on: April 16, 2012, 11:48:47 AM »

Spending the day in manual labor - love it, actually.  "Refreshing" the bark in the backyard (while the barking continues in the house)

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #78 on: April 16, 2012, 12:27:28 PM »

Miss Vicki chirping about the first class didn't set your heart to do a dit-dit-da-dit-da-dit?

The one-note role was as obnoxious as Hyacinth Bucket and went on far too long. There were characters that could have been developed a little more by cutting her part back.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #79 on: April 16, 2012, 12:30:04 PM »

DR Vixmom,

CONTINUED HEALING VIBES FOR YOUR MOTHER!

ORAL SURGERY VIBES!

Jane

« Reply #80 on: April 16, 2012, 12:34:13 PM »

Bad one, der Brucer. It was wise to post and hop off.

;D

Jane

« Reply #81 on: April 16, 2012, 12:35:16 PM »

Thank for the continued vibes for Mom.  They have been working--Mom was feeling great this weekend and in excellent spirits. 

:D

Jane

« Reply #82 on: April 16, 2012, 12:35:56 PM »

VIBES THINGS WILL SOON CHANGE FOR DR ELMORE!

Jane

« Reply #83 on: April 16, 2012, 12:36:36 PM »

Betsy and I have managed to stay married for 18 years as of today.  I have a sneaking suspicion it's been easier for me than for her.

;D

Jane

« Reply #84 on: April 16, 2012, 12:38:20 PM »

Jeff & Betsy,

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #85 on: April 16, 2012, 12:39:42 PM »

Good morning, all!  I slept later than I intended, and now i am dressed and moving about. When the alarm went off, I was dreaming about a release party for the Herbert songs.

So, I began this post about 30 minutes ago to be interrupted by bad news on the recording front. I believe we've lost our leading man and still haven't confirmed our juvenile lead. Damnation!

So, I've been looking at British baritones for replacing Andrew as Sir John Copeland. My thoughts are this:
James Cleverton:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3liGTuqYCto

Richard Morrison
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CxTrjScVw1c

~~~Continued Casting Vibes for Elmore!!~~~

THIS short clip of James Cleverton as Don Giovanni is rather nice. ;)

He's not as well built as Simon Keenlyside or Christopher Maltman, who seem to do a lot of semi-nude operas!

Jane

« Reply #86 on: April 16, 2012, 12:40:40 PM »

Nice new avatar, Ginny.
I entirely skipped the miniseries this weekend.  Saturday night my sister and I opted to watch GREAT EXPECTATIONS which I had DVR'ed.  I enjoyed Gillian Anderson's creepy performance but she was *not* playing Miss Havisham (more like a less lucid Ghost of Christmas Past.)  Overall, I found it way too emo in tone--hard as it is to imagine, but they managed to suck the joy out of the book for this adaption.

I enjoyed the first half very much.  But the second half was too dreary for words.  The adult Pip was BORING and uninvolving and dull.   Whoever cast him did it for looks, not talent. 

Agree partly on Gillian Anderson.  She was a bit too young in appearance, and seemed less like Miss Havisham and more like what you suggested..."the ghost of Christmas day before yesterday".  They needed a Martita Hunt!!!

I had heard this was excellent & that I should watch it.  I had my doubts about Anderson as Miss Havisham.  I think I'll pass on this, at least for now.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #87 on: April 16, 2012, 12:41:30 PM »

Don't much like Titanic The Musical myself....although I enjoyed some of it.....haven't listened to the CD for many years.....

Just never understood the NEED for a musical on the subject since stage technology would always limit the visuals.....even if the production is at its most lavish.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jane

« Reply #88 on: April 16, 2012, 12:42:04 PM »

DR Ginny I also like your new avatar very much.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #89 on: April 16, 2012, 12:42:24 PM »

I think NUDE opera is more enjoyable....well....SOME nude opera.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Up