Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: THE DROWSY ME  (Read 40567 times)

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
Re: THE DROWSY ME
« Reply #90 on: April 16, 2012, 12:42:27 PM »

Good morning, all!  I slept later than I intended, and now i am dressed and moving about. When the alarm went off, I was dreaming about a release party for the Herbert songs.

So, I began this post about 30 minutes ago to be interrupted by bad news on the recording front. I believe we've lost our leading man and still haven't confirmed our juvenile lead. Damnation!

So, I've been looking at British baritones for replacing Andrew as Sir John Copeland. My thoughts are this:
James Cleverton:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3liGTuqYCto

Richard Morrison
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CxTrjScVw1c

~~~Continued Casting Vibes for Elmore!!~~~

THIS short clip of James Cleverton as Don Giovanni is rather nice. ;)

He's not as well built as Simon Keenlyside or Christopher Maltman, who seem to do a lot of semi-nude operas!

Or Zachary Stains...but I still wouldn't kick him out of bed. :D
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #91 on: April 16, 2012, 12:44:35 PM »

For our Titanic nutcases Aficionados:

FEASTING ON THE TITANIC

Contains history, details, photos, and recipes

The authors are Rehoboth friends - a Book Editor and an Epiccopal priest (a gay couple)

der Brucer

Please note- no damn Tofu in sight!

(Oh dear - does failure to provide a Tofu option doom an establishment to disaster?)

For the first time on a cruise we had lots of tofu options on our Paul Gauguin cruise. :)

Jane

« Reply #92 on: April 16, 2012, 12:45:39 PM »

I need to go to Medford & take my car for an oil change.  While I'm waiting I have lots of errands to do which are all conveniently walking distance.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #93 on: April 16, 2012, 12:55:09 PM »

Nice new avatar, Ginny.
I entirely skipped the miniseries this weekend.  Saturday night my sister and I opted to watch GREAT EXPECTATIONS which I had DVR'ed.  I enjoyed Gillian Anderson's creepy performance but she was *not* playing Miss Havisham (more like a less lucid Ghost of Christmas Past.)  Overall, I found it way too emo in tone--hard as it is to imagine, but they managed to suck the joy out of the book for this adaption.

I enjoyed the first half very much.  But the second half was too dreary for words.  The adult Pip was BORING and uninvolving and dull.   Whoever cast him did it for looks, not talent. 

Agree partly on Gillian Anderson.  She was a bit too young in appearance, and seemed less like Miss Havisham and more like what you suggested..."the ghost of Christmas day before yesterday".  They needed a Martita Hunt!!!

I had heard this was excellent & that I should watch it.  I had my doubts about Anderson as Miss Havisham.  I think I'll pass on this, at least for now.

Anderson was absolutely stunning in the BBC version of BLEAK HOUSE.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #94 on: April 16, 2012, 12:55:59 PM »

Good morning, all!  I slept later than I intended, and now i am dressed and moving about. When the alarm went off, I was dreaming about a release party for the Herbert songs.

So, I began this post about 30 minutes ago to be interrupted by bad news on the recording front. I believe we've lost our leading man and still haven't confirmed our juvenile lead. Damnation!

So, I've been looking at British baritones for replacing Andrew as Sir John Copeland. My thoughts are this:
James Cleverton:

Richard Morrison

He's not as well built as Simon Keenlyside or Christopher Maltman, who seem to do a lot of semi-nude operas!

Zak is really wonderful on the forthcoming Herbert songs release.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #95 on: April 16, 2012, 12:58:48 PM »

The sad thing about Gillian Anderson as Miss Havisham is that Martita Hunt may be definitive! It's like Edith Evans and Lady Bracknell.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #96 on: April 16, 2012, 01:00:57 PM »

Zak can't be anything but wonderful.

Martita Hunt Is Definitive is the title of my new novella.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

George

« Reply #97 on: April 16, 2012, 01:19:17 PM »

James Cleverton:

Richard Morrison

Zak is really wonderful on the forthcoming Herbert songs release.

Can't wait to hear it...I've ordered it.
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #98 on: April 16, 2012, 01:26:17 PM »

It looks as if we are moving this year from the 5-star Merrion to the St Stephens Green Hibernian Club, around the corner from the Merrion, a great location:
http://www.sghc.ie/

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #99 on: April 16, 2012, 01:33:36 PM »

It looks as if we are moving this year from the 5-star Merrion to the St Stephens Green Hibernian Club, around the corner from the Merrion, a great location:
http://www.sghc.ie/

Very classy!

ArnoldMBrockman

• so many possibilities
« Reply #100 on: April 16, 2012, 01:59:16 PM »

Happy Anniversary JEFFREY and BETSY

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #101 on: April 16, 2012, 02:19:01 PM »

Oy! It never is dull here. New World Records just contacted me. They want to release EILEEN in September, so I have until June 25 to put together liner notes and type out the libretto. Better then, I guess, than July 25 ot August 25, when I'm returning from Dublin. All I have to do is find the EILEEN materials buried somewhere in this dump.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2012, 02:45:25 PM by elmore3003 »

MBarnum

« Reply #102 on: April 16, 2012, 02:33:46 PM »

Nude opera is the only kind I ever listen to.

MBarnum

« Reply #103 on: April 16, 2012, 02:34:20 PM »

I really must update my avatar. This one is over 15 years old.

MBarnum

« Reply #104 on: April 16, 2012, 02:34:40 PM »

Not that I have changed in all of those 15 years.

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
« Reply #105 on: April 16, 2012, 02:40:18 PM »

I agree.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #106 on: April 16, 2012, 02:47:06 PM »

Back from a good lunch meeting and picking up one package.  Must now do some work.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #107 on: April 16, 2012, 03:10:26 PM »

Writing vibes for DR ELMORE.

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #108 on: April 16, 2012, 03:23:13 PM »

The fact that MBarnum is *listening* to nude opera rather than *watching* it is perhaps the most salient piece of information about his behavior he has ever passed on to us.   ;D
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #109 on: April 16, 2012, 03:59:49 PM »

Finished the liner notes - I actually found the composer's website (who knew he was even still with us?) and have written him, just to see if he'd give me a few lines to include in our booklet.  He's got to be in his late 70s by now, so I hope he'll not be too cantankerous and will do it.

Matthew

• You there, why are you so late?
« Reply #110 on: April 16, 2012, 04:06:35 PM »

Yard has been barked and my arms are red - hello spring!!!   I'll take a picture soon

George

« Reply #111 on: April 16, 2012, 04:32:11 PM »

Finished the liner notes - I actually found the composer's website (who knew he was even still with us?) and have written him, just to see if he'd give me a few lines to include in our booklet.  He's got to be in his late 70s by now, so I hope he'll not be too cantankerous and will do it.

What about signed booklets??

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #112 on: April 16, 2012, 04:34:43 PM »

Who knows?  It would depend on where he lives.

Jennifer

« Reply #113 on: April 16, 2012, 04:45:55 PM »

Happy anniversary to DR JMK and his wife!

Jane

« Reply #114 on: April 16, 2012, 04:50:51 PM »

Nice new avatar, Ginny.
I entirely skipped the miniseries this weekend.  Saturday night my sister and I opted to watch GREAT EXPECTATIONS which I had DVR'ed.  I enjoyed Gillian Anderson's creepy performance but she was *not* playing Miss Havisham (more like a less lucid Ghost of Christmas Past.)  Overall, I found it way too emo in tone--hard as it is to imagine, but they managed to suck the joy out of the book for this adaption.

I enjoyed the first half very much.  But the second half was too dreary for words.  The adult Pip was BORING and uninvolving and dull.   Whoever cast him did it for looks, not talent. 

Agree partly on Gillian Anderson.  She was a bit too young in appearance, and seemed less like Miss Havisham and more like what you suggested..."the ghost of Christmas day before yesterday".  They needed a Martita Hunt!!!

I had heard this was excellent & that I should watch it.  I had my doubts about Anderson as Miss Havisham.  I think I'll pass on this, at least for now.

Anderson was absolutely stunning in the BBC version of BLEAK HOUSE.

Yes she was.

Jane

« Reply #115 on: April 16, 2012, 04:54:23 PM »

Not that I have changed in all of those 15 years.

You really haven't.

Cillaliz

« Reply #116 on: April 16, 2012, 04:58:12 PM »

Happy anniversary to DR JMK and his wife!

DITTO

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #117 on: April 16, 2012, 05:00:04 PM »

Heard back from the composer, who unfortunately for me is not THE composer I was looking for, but someone who is also a composer/musical supervisor with the same name.  However, further Google search led me to find that the composer I want is now teaching at a college - I found the college, the faculty directory, and now I've written him at the e-mail address listed there.  Since it's not in this country, we'll see how this all pans out.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #118 on: April 16, 2012, 05:01:12 PM »

Well, James Cleverton is out. He's committed to the Buxton Gilbert & Sullivan Festival until August 18, the first day of our recording. I hope to hell Richard Morrison is available or we are back to goddam proverbial square one. If I were his agent, I'd try to get him out of the Buxton dates to record, but who knows which pays better?

Jane

« Reply #119 on: April 16, 2012, 05:01:16 PM »

Yard has been barked and my arms are red - hello spring!!!   I'll take a picture soon

It is raining here.  I was lucky it only rained on & off while I was walking to various shops.  Just as I returned to pick up my car it began raining heavily.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Up