Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: ALL THE NEWS THAT'S FIT TO PRINT  (Read 22233 times)

MBarnum

Re:ALL THE NEWS THAT'S FIT TO PRINT
« Reply #30 on: June 22, 2004, 07:19:27 AM »

Breakfast is my favorite! Almost every Saturday and sometimes on Sunday too, my buddy Mark and I will meet for breakfast. As he now lives up in Wilsonville and I live down in Salem we often will meet halfway in Woodburn and go to Elmer's. Whenever there is a wait and they take names Mark always uses the name Elmer...even at other diners! LOL! It always cracks the waitress up!

I love pancakes with lots of butter and syrup, Eggs over easy, bacon and/or sausage, and plenty of coffee.  If I don't have that I will generally have a mushroom and spinach omlette.

Of course a lot of that stuff I am not supposed to eat anymore but I do still treat myself and I have found that sugarless syrup is not at all bad!

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #31 on: June 22, 2004, 07:20:36 AM »

I agree completely with you about Cher. I do NOT understand why these people keep doing this to themselves making themselves into aliens, certainly nothing possibly resembling a living human being.

I have nothing against someone getting treatments to "freshen" their appearance, especially in a business where looks are so important. But to keep at it until your features are contorted almost beyond recognition is a sad and pathetic state, I think.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #32 on: June 22, 2004, 07:25:23 AM »

DR Matt,

You look good in red.

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #33 on: June 22, 2004, 07:30:51 AM »

BK,

On the subject of amateurish websites (are you going to tell us which one boggled the mind and nearly made you woof?), I've seen some really handsome ones. Graphically, they're quite polished and often innovative. But the spelling and grammar are atrocious.

Our Canadian postage recently went up again, and I couldn't remember whether 48 cents was the old or new amount. So I went to the Canada Post site. It included every detail imaginable - but not the cost of a stamp.

MBarnum

« Reply #34 on: June 22, 2004, 07:31:10 AM »

Hey, a friend of mine in New York, Charles Bloom, has his first play opening in July and I would consider it a personal favor if any NY area DRs could attend! It is a musical comedy and is called INSOMNIA. Plot and info are below.

Charles is the son of actress Carolyn Kearney (star of Hot Rod Girl, Damned Citizen, and The Thing that Couldn't Die) and screenwriter Harold Jack Bloom. He is a great guy and I am very, very excited for him. He has toiled long and hard for this moment!

Venue Information
  WorkShop Theatre
  312 W. 36th St. (4th Floor)
  New York, NY 10018(8th
  Avenue)

Midtown International Theatre Festival presents Insomnia Monday, July 12, 2004 through Sunday, August 01, 2004

Book, Music and Lyrics by Charles Bloom Based on an idea developed with Lee Lucas

A gay screenwriter in Hollywood tosses and turns with his many and varied, personal and professional demons on a humorous and poignant journey towards love, family and the dawn of self-discovery over the course of a sleepless night in this new musical comedy.

Tickets are only $15.00!

http://www.smarttix.com/show.aspx?showCode=INS54
« Last Edit: June 22, 2004, 07:40:33 AM by MBarnum »

MBarnum

« Reply #35 on: June 22, 2004, 07:37:43 AM »

Oh, and Charles used to  be a kid actor himself back in the 70s and early 80s. He was on LITTLE HOUSE ON THE PRAIRIE, MORK AND MINDY, BATTLESTAR GALACTICA, EIGHT IS ENOUGH and was a regular on the TV series THE WAVERLY WONDERS.

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #36 on: June 22, 2004, 07:40:41 AM »

BTW, can anyone educate a poor man from Oz...Just what in tarnation is Grits anyway????

OK

Grits.com (whatelse) reports:

Grits are small broken grains of corn. They were first produced by Native Americans centuries ago. They made both "corn" grits and "hominy" grits.

Falls Mill produces "corn" grits.

Corn GritsFalls Mill mills locally grown whole white hybrid corn. The corn is dried to a 14% moisture content, then each kernel is cleaned with forced air. The kernels of grain are run through the mill stone where they are ground to a certain texture and then sifted through two wire mesh screens. The three products sorted are white corn meal, white corn grits and the bran that pops off. There is a fine bran still in the grits product. This bran will never soften up with cooking. Depending on personal preference, the bran can be left in or removed by rinsing the grits before cooking. Yummy!

Hominy is made from field corn that is soaked in lye water (potash water in the old days) and stirred over the next day or two until the entire shell or bran comes loose and rises to the top. The kernel itself swells to twice its original size. After the remaining kernels have been rinsed several times, they are spread to dry either on cloth or screen dryers.

The site also offers the following bowl of mixed blessings:

This page is devoted to the celebration of Southern Cooking.

If you're a true Southern cook you already have a container of bacon grease on your stove. Git it ready - you'll need it to get started along with sweet ice tea, several iron skillets, lots o' gravy ('specially Red Eye) and hot Crisco for frying.

(One thing you need to know before cookin'...when we say mayo in the South we really mean Miracle Whip Salad Dressin'.)

Southerners with money believe Hellmann's Mayonnaise is the only mayonnaise...
let's not burst their bubble! A real Southern cook uses salad dressin'!

Now, let's go fry up a grit!

Notes:

The can of bacon grease beside the stove is a good idea -  it makes the best shortening in the world (try it in pancakes!)

When they say "sweet tea", they mean "SWEET TEA" - at least 1/3 a cup of sugar per quart. Southern Dentists highly recommend it.

"Miracle Whip" instaed of Mayo - PLEASE!

As the oft-quoted (by me) Tom Lehrer says:
Our old mess sergeant's taste buds had been shot off in the war.

But his savory collations add to our esprit de corps.

To think of all the marvelous ways
They're using plastics nowadays.

der Brucer
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #37 on: June 22, 2004, 07:52:23 AM »

Good Morning!

Well, I was hoping I would wake up in a better mood this morning, but, alas... Instead, my alarm clock this morning was a call from my landlord's office telling me that the workmen were finally coming back today to start work on the kitchen ceiling.  Well, they're here, and they're pulling things out, drilling, hammering, etc.  -the stuff that workmen do.  It should take about three days.  So much for a quiet morning at home.

In any case, I am glad that the ceiling in the kitchen will finally be fixed.  I have yet to cook anything since I've gotten back from DC - and that's not a good thing.  And he's also going to look into getting a new screen door for the back door too!  So all is not for naught...

*OH, Donna Murphy just came on Regis singing "100 Easy Ways..." - with piano accompaniment... hmmm...  -oh, interesting edit.. hmmm...
Make Your Own Luck.

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #38 on: June 22, 2004, 07:53:42 AM »

Hey, a friend of mine in New York, Charles Bloom, has his first play opening in July and I would consider it a personal favor if any NY area DRs could attend! It is a musical comedy and is called INSOMNIA. Plot and info are below.

Well, I am looking for an excuse to take Woody back to NYC - he has not yet been to Zabar's.

der Brucer (Zabar's is the only place I know where you can buy a bit of Smithfield Ham - and a little bit goes a long way)

We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

Stuart

• No one is alone.....
« Reply #39 on: June 22, 2004, 08:04:45 AM »

I love breakfast.  I love a simple breakfast of cereal and milk, sometimes.  Favorite cereals come and go, but have included at various times: Cap'n Crunch, Alphabits, Honey Nut Cheerios, Rice Krispies, and is currently -- when I have cereal, which is rare now that I am trying to watch carbs --  one of those Just Right type combo cereals, with flakes and nuggets and raisins and nuts and all other sorts of good things.  The only cereals that I detest are Raisin Bran and Grape Nuts.

My favorite "Jewish" breakfast is, of course, sesame bagel, cut in half.  On one half, I would put either sable (with a smear of unsalted butter underneath) or whitefish (or possibly whitefish salad).  On the other half would be cream cheese (preferably Philadelphia), on which I would scatter some sliced scallions, and top it with lox.  Yum.

I love pancakes.  I love French toast (preferably made with Challah, and a bit of vanilla in the soaking custard).  I love waffles.  I like eggs, but am not in love with them.  However, I love a good omelet made with peppers and onions, and maybe some mushrooms and cheese.

As I do not eat pork products, nor mix milk and meat, breakfast meats hold no fascination for me.  Breakfast, to me, is a strictly dairy meal.  However, on my current no-carb breakfast plan, I eat two hard-boiled eggs (with the yolks popped out), and two slices of turkey bacon.  I have found that there is good turkey bacon, and bad turkey bacon.  Louis Rich makes good turkey bacon.

But I do loves me a good breakfast.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2004, 08:06:53 AM by Stuart »

Stuart

• No one is alone.....
« Reply #40 on: June 22, 2004, 08:06:24 AM »

OH!  And cinnamon rolls (Ann Sather's, when in Chicago, or a frozen brand called Rhode's, which are actually quite good).  And coffee cake!

Those are breakfast foods, no?

Matt H.

« Reply #41 on: June 22, 2004, 08:08:06 AM »

Thank you, DR D-i-T. I appreciate the compliment.

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #42 on: June 22, 2004, 08:11:23 AM »

Well, I am looking for an excuse to take Woody back to NYC - he has not yet been to Zabar's.

And from "West End Avenue" (The Magic Show), this great Stephen Schwartz rhyme:

Delis and laundromats and gay bars
West End Avenue
Only a block away from Zabars

« Last Edit: June 22, 2004, 08:12:17 AM by Dan-in-Toronto »

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #43 on: June 22, 2004, 08:17:24 AM »

As for breakfast...

Everything that has been mentioned so far!  Breakfast it truly the one meal where I know I can and most likely will overeat - especially if I'm going out for breakfast - and there's a buffet!

French Toast - Good thick, fluffy slices with cinnamon and maple syrup.  The "stuffed" variations - with cream cheese, fruit, etc. - tend to be a bit of overkill at times.

Eggs, Bacon and/or Sausage, Hash Browns, Toast and/or Biscuits - I usually like my eggs scrambled or over-easy.   I'm a big fan of crispy bacon - especially pepper bacon.  Now, if it's a really good thick-cut bacon, then I don't mind a little chew to it.  The Hash Browns have to have some crisp and crunch to them!  Otherwise, they're just steamed potatoes to me.  Toast - wheat or rye.  Biscuits - so many variables invloved here from the type of flour, to the liquid (water, milk or buttermilk), to the cook (the term "a good biscuit hand" is used a lot in the South).  But a perfect biscuit to me is hot out of the oven, light and airy, fluffy, with a good crust - just enough to provide some give when you take that first bite all slathered in butter.

Scrapple - I'm a big scrapple fan too.  And I'm a big fan of scrapple sandwiches, although, I usually like my scrapple on a biscuit.  -I've never had it grilled, but I'd give it a try - I'm just trying to figure out how thick you'd have to cut it to make sure it doesn't get lost in the grill grates.  And I like Tabasco on my scrapple too.

Pancakse and Waffles - My Dad used to make wonderful pancakes while we were growing up.  He usually just used Bisquick, but Bisquick pancakes can be quite good.  As for waffles, they can vary too from place to place, time to time.  I especially like waffles when a piece of bacon has been pressed along with the waffle batter.  Two treats in one!  Oh, and lots of butter and syrup too - I like the selection of three syrups you get at Perkins.

Steak and Eggs - Nothing like a rib-eye in the morning!

Oatmeal - Sometimes you just gotta have it.

Grits - I don't normally reach for them the first thing in the morning, but sometimes the mood hits... I like them either with butter, salt and pepper, or the opposite route with butter and sugar.

Corned Beef Hash! - I almost forgot!  This has to be my all-time favorite breakfast.  And if I see it on a menu at a restaurant I'm at for the first time, I'll usually order it as a sort of litmus test.  I like the canned stuff - even the Roast Beef Hash - but the true "Diner Red Hash" is quite wonderful - especially once that little bit of heavy cream is mixed in... Sooooooo good.  -It's also hard to find.  With some piping hots biscuits (with gravy if I'm feeling particular decadent and arterie-clogging), and two eggs, over-easy, I'm all set for the day!
Make Your Own Luck.

Emily

« Reply #44 on: June 22, 2004, 08:19:20 AM »

Dan-In-Toronto: stamps are now 49 cents.  You can bring whatever you're mailing to the post office with the 48 cent stamps and then buy a single 1 cent stamp to make up the difference :)

Jason: Cold pizza for breakfast is the best!  There's something about the way that the grease congeals around the pepperoni that makes it wonderful, isn't there? :)

This is my favourite topic of the day... EVER!!!  I love going out for breakfast on weekend - be it with friends, family or just the newspaper and me.  

Favourite Fruity Breakfast:

Yoghourt, granola and fruit mixed together with honey -  preferably served with a plain toasted sesame-seed bagel on the side

Favourite "Screw the Fruit - Give me Grease" Breakfast:

Home fries, tomato, onion, smoked meat and eggs all mixed up together to form a sort of scrambled-eggs version of a mish-mash omelette

Favourite Eggy Breakfast:

Two poached eggs on english muffins with asparagus and swiss cheese (eggs benedict with added greenery and minus the hollandaise)

Favourite "What's in the Fridge" Breakfast:

Cold pizza!!! :)  
"We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true" except at HHW of course! - Robert Wilensky

Ben

« Reply #45 on: June 22, 2004, 08:22:34 AM »

Oh, I forgot Corned Beef Hash with a poached egg. Thanks for reminding me, Jose. The yolk breaking and mixing in with all those potatoes and hash. With a good cup of hot coffee, what more do I need?

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #46 on: June 22, 2004, 08:24:44 AM »

OH!  And cinnamon rolls (Ann Sather's, when in Chicago, or a frozen brand called Rhode's, which are actually quite good).  And coffee cake!

Those are breakfast foods, no?

Hmm... Yes, Ann Sather's are quite good - and addictive.

Once when I was working on a workshop in Chicago, the producer put us up at one of the "Residence Inns" - nice little cozy places in various neighborhoods througout the city.  We happened to be at the Park Brompton Inn which was/is very convenient to the Lake and to Boystown. ;)  Well... Every morning, boxes of still-warm Ann Sather's cinnamon rolls were brought in for the free breakfast spread.  It was always a game of "Hmm... Has everyone had at least one yet?  Can I grab another one for myself?"

-And then after walking around for the day, I would usually finish my day with another Ann Sather's goodie - usually a brownie.

DR Jason - Are you taking notes? ;)
Make Your Own Luck.

Ann

• Cake or Death?
    • My LiveJournal
« Reply #47 on: June 22, 2004, 08:33:31 AM »

mmm...breakfast...

Loves me a good breakfast, any time of the day.  
Love eggs, in all forms.  Over medium, scrambled, or omlet form are my faves.  IHOP makes a Country Omlet with onions, cheese, ham, and hashbrowns right in the omlet that's just delish.
Pancakes, French Toast, and Crepes...love 'em all, without reservations.  Really good French Toast has got to be on the top of the list, although pankcakes with butter and maple syrup aren't far behind.
Not a big bacon fan, unless fried extra cripsy.  More a sasuage person, but again has to be very well done....no greasy sasuage for me, thank you.
I am also a hot cereal freak.  Oatmeal and Cream of Wheat are my two favorites.  Those with sugar, raisins, and milk...mmm

Question, especially for our Canadian DR's...has anyone ever heard of a cereal called Red River?  We used to have it when I was a kid, and I LOVED it.  

Question - What is Scrapple?
Question - of which website does BK speak?  The one that made him want to vomit on the ground...did it have anything to do with the post that George deleted?  I'm curious...

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #48 on: June 22, 2004, 08:39:38 AM »

der Brucer (Zabar's is the only place I know where you can buy a bit of Smithfield Ham - and a little bit goes a long way)

Smithfield Ham?  You say you need some Smithfield Ham?

Do you prefer it sliced fresh?  Or can you make do with the pre-packed, pre-sliced slices?  At most of the local markets here in Richmond, you can buy a whole Smithfield ham, or just a few slices in sold in various thicknesses.  I've also seen the Smithfield ham slices in the markets around the DC area - sold right next to - well, usually about the bacon and sausage.  I'm sure someone around Rehoboth carries Smithfield ham - or a proper Smithfield-type ham.  *I'll leave it to you to post what the difference is. ;)

Oh, what I was getting to is... Some of the pre-packs are shelf-stable and are ship well too, so... But nothing beats a trip up to Zabar's.

*Although, if you'd ever like to head South... There are various ham purveyors in and around Williamsburg.  My favorite has to be Surry ham - which is a Smithfield type ham, but it's made in Surry County.  -While a true Smithfield ham is made in Smithfield County.  -And while you're in Williamsburg you can also pick up some dry roasted peanuts, honey roasted peanuts, peanut soup, peanut brittle, chocolate covered peanut brittle, etc. - and maybe even splurge on a dessert at Marcel Desaulnier's place.

I'm not a big fan of the traditional "ham biscuit" - they just always seems a little dry to me.  And as you mentioned, a little Smithfield ham goes a long way.  No need to add salt to these small sandwiches!
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #49 on: June 22, 2004, 08:43:52 AM »

HEY!?!!? Something must be wrong...

It's already almost noon on the East Coast...

The topic of the day is Breakfast - FOOD!...

And we're not even on Page 3 yet?!??!!

Must be another One-Day Sale in Tarnation today!
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #50 on: June 22, 2004, 08:49:01 AM »

WOW!  The workmen already left for the day.  They need to put one more layer of "mud" on tomorrow - or the next day - and then it all just needs to be re-painted.

*OH!! While moving things around this morning in the kitchen pre-workmen arriving, I noticed I have a lot of baking goods I should bake up soon - flour, sugar, chocolate (bars and chips; bittersweet, semi-sweet and milk), nuts (pecans and almonds), toffee bits (Heath and Bits-o-Brickle), oatmeal, peanut butter...  And since I have yet to break in my new baking sheets and Silpats...  I may be collecting shipping addresses next week... ;)
Make Your Own Luck.

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #51 on: June 22, 2004, 08:49:33 AM »

DR Ann,

Red River cereal is a multi-grain cereal that you cook. I believe it's very similar to the US Wheatena (if they still make that). I don't have a box handy, but I know there's quite a bit of flax seed in there.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #52 on: June 22, 2004, 08:54:17 AM »

Yummilicious, that's all I have to say.  When I get around to eating today or even when I get asquare to eating today it will be some form of breakfast.  Can't wait.

Re ugly website - I don't know what George's post was that was deleted.  But I know if thinking caps are put on you will know exactly what URL to visit.

Matt H.

« Reply #53 on: June 22, 2004, 08:57:22 AM »

Yes, I like corned beef hash any time of the day, but my mom made the best roast beef hash in the history of the world. Hadn't thought about that in years and years, but it was truly mouth-watering.

MBarnum

« Reply #54 on: June 22, 2004, 09:02:16 AM »

My favorite breakfast cereal as a kid was FREAKIES. Does anyone remember it, it was on store shelves in the mid-70s (and was revived in the late 80s...but it just wasn't the same)? It tasted like Captain Crunch. I don't know that I enjoyed the cereal as much as I loved the Freakies characters...Boss Moss, Cowmumble, Hamhose, Gargle, Grumble, and the rest.

I still have my collection of Freakies figures which I sent away in the mail for 50 cents. I can remember waiting and waiting for them to arrive!

I also have the Freakie mobiles still in a box in my closet! But never did get all of the Freakies patches!

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #55 on: June 22, 2004, 09:02:52 AM »

Sub TOD:  Favorite Cereals

Cheerios (with bananas or fresh blueberries)

Cap'n Crunch

Quisp (top favorite as a kid.  I bought a box of it online about two years ago and it went in two days.)

Puffa-Puffa Rice (actually, I didn't like the cereal that much, but I loved the name and the song from the commercial when it first came out.)
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #56 on: June 22, 2004, 09:05:57 AM »

My thinking cap is busted.

I haven't a clue what URL to visit.

Someone point me in the right direction!

And, oh! yes!  HEATHENS of the NORTH!

Y'all stop messin' around with our grits!

Southern Boy
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #57 on: June 22, 2004, 09:12:01 AM »

My favorite breakfast cereal as a kid was FREAKIES. Does anyone remember it, it was on store shelves in the mid-70s (and was revived in the late 80s...but it just wasn't the same)? It tasted like Captain Crunch. I don't know that I enjoyed the cereal as much as I loved the Freakies characters...Boss Moss, Cowmumble, Hamhose, Gargle, Grumble, and the rest.

I still have my collection of Freakies figures which I sent away in the mail for 50 cents. I can remember waiting and waiting for them to arrive!

I also have the Freakie mobiles still in a box in my closet! But never did get all of the Freakies patches!

I got me a whole box full of cereal toys!  A Quisp flying saucer with a shooting grappling hook.  A Chitty Chitty Bang Bang.  A Trix whistle that was so loud and piercing that my sister borrowed and used it as a rape whistle for a few years.  An Archie-mobile.  A Davy Jones flicker ring.  A Coco Puffs pecking Coco Bird.  And a Cap'n Crunch decoder ring.  

I also have empty packets of all the Funny Faces drink mix characters (including the politically incorrect Chinese Cherry and Injun Orange.)
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Stuart

• No one is alone.....
« Reply #58 on: June 22, 2004, 09:12:25 AM »

(Zabar's is the only place I know where you can buy a bit of Smithfield Ham - and a little bit goes a long way)

Ironically, next to the counters with kosher pastrami and whitefish and lox.  Dontcha love it?

The Hash Browns have to have some crisp and crunch to them! ... Toast - wheat or rye...  Oatmeal - Sometimes you just gotta have it.

How could I have forgotten hash browns in my post?  They have to have lots of onions (and peppers are ok, too), and MUST be crunchy!

And my favorite breakfast accompaniment:  TOAST!  White or wheat (not a rye toast fan, though I do like rye bread), with sweet butter.

And of course, oatmeal.  With a knob of butter, a little bit of milk, brown sugar and some cinnamon sprinkled on top.  Nummers!

Stuart

• No one is alone.....
« Reply #59 on: June 22, 2004, 09:14:12 AM »

I will not tell y'all what I had typed instead of peppers in my above post.  Thank goodness I caught it!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Up