Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: JERKY CAM  (Read 9449 times)

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
Re: JERKY CAM
« Reply #60 on: May 09, 2012, 09:49:22 AM »

Speak of the Devil Department:  I just received an email inquiry about a certain actress with the subject line:  France's Farmer.

;D

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
« Reply #61 on: May 09, 2012, 10:21:36 AM »

Speak of the Devil Department:  I just received an email inquiry about a certain actress with the subject line:  France's Farmer.

;D
France only has one farmer?
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #62 on: May 09, 2012, 10:25:36 AM »

Nice fountain. How tall?

A little over 4 feet.  It should scale nicely in the space.

Where is the space located?

That entryway courtyard right in front of the front door.
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

JMK

« Reply #63 on: May 09, 2012, 10:26:33 AM »

In other exciting news, the Tree Policeman called me today to inform me we violated code by having branches pruned.  Needless to say, his imperious attitude brought out the same in me and by the end of the conversation he was on the defensive.  I've also called the arborist and they have more or less agreed to pay any fines that are levied.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2012, 10:35:56 AM by JMK »

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

JMK

« Reply #64 on: May 09, 2012, 10:26:56 AM »

;D
France only has one farmer?

Only one like this one.  :)

Jane

« Reply #65 on: May 09, 2012, 10:33:41 AM »

Nice fountain. How tall?

A little over 4 feet.  It should scale nicely in the space.

Where is the space located?

That entryway courtyard right in front of the front door.

:)

Jane

« Reply #66 on: May 09, 2012, 10:57:59 AM »

Keith is putting rugs down on the hardwood floors so Sherlock can get up more easily.

I'm not getting enough exercise and eating too much chocolate and feeling very down. 

Jane

« Reply #67 on: May 09, 2012, 11:04:08 AM »

If I had known we still had the dog rugs in the garage I would have suggested we put them down last week. 

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #68 on: May 09, 2012, 11:05:04 AM »

I just received my shipping notification from Home Depot that this ultracool waterfall fountain I ordered for our courtyard entrance here at Chez K is on its way:

That's really cool, Jeff!
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #69 on: May 09, 2012, 11:05:34 AM »

Ladies and Gentlemen,

Your New American Idol

:o MY EARS!!!  MY EARS!!!

;)
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #70 on: May 09, 2012, 11:06:24 AM »

DR MATTHEW - writing is a good way bring one's life in focus.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #71 on: May 09, 2012, 11:07:04 AM »

In other exciting news, the Tree Policeman called me today to inform me we violated code by having branches pruned.  Needless to say, his imperious attitude brought out the same in me and by the end of the conversation he was on the defensive.  I've also called the arborist and they have more or less agreed to pay any fines that are levied.

Sounds fair......

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #72 on: May 09, 2012, 11:07:12 AM »

More or less.....

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #73 on: May 09, 2012, 11:07:21 AM »

In so many words.....

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #74 on: May 09, 2012, 11:07:31 AM »

To a degree.....

George

« Reply #75 on: May 09, 2012, 11:11:15 AM »

BK-

How Wonderful That HE and SHE Rhyme

Question-IYHO -How Do You Feel About Women or Men Singing Songs that specifically are written for a Man Or Woman without changing gender?

For Example-Tony Bennett sings-THE MAN WHO GOT AWAY as written without changing The Lyric to THE GIRL WHO GOT AWAY

This doesn't actually address your question, but there's a CD compilation called Art Deco: Can't Help Lovin' That Man with selections of songs from the 1920s and 1930s in just that situation.  The performers wanted to record a hit song, but the laws at the time prevented them from changing genders in the lyrics, so they recorded them as written.  It's a great CD!

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #76 on: May 09, 2012, 11:34:27 AM »

I'm not certain what I am missing, but it seems that if someone's work is being used to supplement a project on Victor Herbert, then that person should receive acknowledgement.  It's "intellectual property", in legalese.  But, as I said, I'm not certain about the whole picture.

If something I've written, either in whole or in part, gets used -- whether word-for-word or paraphrased -- then I should be footnoted or acknowledged for my work.

Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #77 on: May 09, 2012, 11:49:59 AM »

BK-

How Wonderful That HE and SHE Rhyme

Question-IYHO -How Do You Feel About Women or Men Singing Songs that specifically are written for a Man Or Woman without changing gender?

For Example-Tony Bennett sings-THE MAN WHO GOT AWAY as written without changing The Lyric to THE GIRL WHO GOT AWAY

Well, unless they're gay, it's a little weird not to change gender, no? 

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #78 on: May 09, 2012, 11:52:51 AM »

My question for ASK BK Day.....since actors receive residuals for DVD's.....do you think Jack Larson & Noel Neill are finally getting some additional payments for The Adventures of Superman....now available on DVD.

I hope so.  I bought all six seasons.

No.  Up until 1975, I believe, an actor only received residuals for seven runs of a show and nothing for ancillary stuff - I have received token payments for things like The Doris Day Show DVDs, but in the 1950s, no.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #79 on: May 09, 2012, 11:55:08 AM »

I'm not certain what I am missing, but it seems that if someone's work is being used to supplement a project on Victor Herbert, then that person should receive acknowledgement.  It's "intellectual property", in legalese.  But, as I said, I'm not certain about the whole picture.

If something I've written, either in whole or in part, gets used -- whether word-for-word or paraphrased -- then I should be footnoted or acknowledged for my work.

I will say it again and I thought I was clear:  his work was not used to supplement this project on Victor Herbert.

I used nothing from him. If I felt he were owed an acknowledgement, I would happily have given it to him. He didn't write the songs, he and I never discussed the songs, I stood at a photocopier and copied songs from 1894 through Herbert's death in 1924, along with a lot of  unpublished manuscripts, without any help from him. I identified the lost songs from BABES IN TOYLAND without any help from him. I've never heard this person's recordings or lectures, the Library of Congress says his claims on his importance in their Herbert Collection is exaggerated, all of my research on the songs and personnel in my notes came from historical newspapers on line at the New York Public Library and several books in which this person had no involvement, since they were most likely published before he was ever born. I learned that one unpublished song was reused and published under another title from a friend who came by to hear the recordings and identified it. He then went home and sent me a pdf of the sheet music, so I acknowledged him.

Tell me why I owe this jerk an acknowledgement. And maybe you can tell me why he's so desperate for recognition on something in which he has no involvement?
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #80 on: May 09, 2012, 12:00:24 PM »

Too bad for Jack and Noel.......

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #81 on: May 09, 2012, 12:00:44 PM »

Here's my opinion on the elmore drama - absolutely NO credit or acknowledgment to the jerk.  If he did nothing, then why do it - because he's pressuring you?  He can't do ANYTHING about it.  Especially with what you now have in writing from the LoC.  I'm sure you've already laid it out for him that you've used nothing of his - that's the end of the story and discussion.  If you want to write him one last time and inform him of what the LoC said, and that you are seriously considering what he's doing as harassment, and that you will not respond to any further e-mails.  Because if you keep this dialogue open he will continue and continue and continue.

I've had some problems with supposed rights' holders for scores over the years - they write, they yell, they posture, and I write back, state the reality, and tell them they will receive no further response.  They have occasionally written a second time, and I put those e-mails directly in the trash, unread - and I never ever hear from them again.

George

« Reply #82 on: May 09, 2012, 12:00:45 PM »

I will say it again and I thought I was clear:  his work was not used to supplement this project on Victor Herbert.

I used nothing from him. If I felt he were owed an acknowledgement, I would happily have given it to him. He didn't write the songs, he and I never discussed the songs, I stood at a photocopier and copied songs from 1894 through Herbert's death in 1924, along with a lot of  unpublished manuscripts, without any help from him. I identified the lost songs from BABES IN TOYLAND without any help from him. I've never heard this person's recordings or lectures, the Library of Congress says his claims on his importance in their Herbert Collection is exaggerated, all of my research on the songs and personnel in my notes came from historical newspapers on line at the New York Public Library and several books in which this person had no involvement, since they were most likely published before he was ever born. I learned that one unpublished song was reused and published under another title from a friend who came by to hear the recordings and identified it. He then went home and sent me a pdf of the sheet music, so I acknowledged him.

Tell me why I owe this jerk an acknowledgement. And maybe you can tell me why he's so desperate for recognition on something in which he has no involvement?

Larry, the guy doesn't have a legal leg to stand on.  It'll be up to him to prove (in a court of law) that you used his work...and since he won't want to pay all court costs when (not if) he loses the case, he's not going to sue or probably even take this any further.  You're definitely in the right. :)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #83 on: May 09, 2012, 12:01:10 PM »

Just had the sweetest call from Richard Sherman - he finished the new book and absolutely adored it.  Happy.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #84 on: May 09, 2012, 12:01:19 PM »

Oh, and I'm up.

George

« Reply #85 on: May 09, 2012, 12:01:47 PM »

Here's my opinion on the elmore drama - absolutely NO credit or acknowledgment to the jerk.  If he did nothing, then why do it - because he's pressuring you?  He can't do ANYTHING about it.  Especially with what you now have in writing from the LoC.  I'm sure you've already laid it out for him that you've used nothing of his - that's the end of the story and discussion.  If you want to write him one last time and inform him of what the LoC said, and that you are seriously considering what he's doing as harassment, and that you will not respond to any further e-mails.  Because if you keep this dialogue open he will continue and continue and continue.

I've had some problems with supposed rights' holders for scores over the years - they write, they yell, they posture, and I write back, state the reality, and tell them they will receive no further response.  They have occasionally written a second time, and I put those e-mails directly in the trash, unread - and I never ever hear from them again.

What BK said...exactly one second before my post. :D

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #86 on: May 09, 2012, 12:01:52 PM »

I got nine hours of sleep, then had an almost two-hour telephonic conversation with Mark Haggard, the co-director of Nudie Musical.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #87 on: May 09, 2012, 12:04:27 PM »

DR ArnoldMBrockman, there are several songs in the Herbert Collection sung by a woman that clearly have a man's point of view. I got criticized last week for this. Two of the songs were written for Madge Ellis, a music hall star, and they were published with her photo. I believe she occasionally did male impersonation, and I asked a wonderful lady to record them.

I've got several recordings of the great Joan Morris singing songs from the turn of the 20th century clearly written from a male point of view: "I Wonder Who's Kissing Her Now" and "On the Banks of the Wabash" come to mind immediately. The Boswell Sisters and Ethel Waters, who was a lesbian, recorded one of my favorite songs, "Dinah."
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #88 on: May 09, 2012, 12:06:37 PM »

What BK said...exactly one second before my post. :D

Thank you both! I'm sick of the whole megillah!

George

« Reply #89 on: May 09, 2012, 12:11:35 PM »

And on that note (F-natural)...
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Up