Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: OWWWW GARN  (Read 7872 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
OWWWW GARN
« on: May 20, 2012, 01:06:34 AM »

Well, you've read the notes, the notes were loverly, and now it is time for you to post until the loverly cows come home - they're getting MOOried in the MOOrning.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re: OWWWW GARN
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2012, 01:07:30 AM »

And the word of the day is: PHATIC!

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2012, 01:30:42 AM »

A Very Happy Eliza Doolittle Day to all!

;D
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2012, 01:46:26 AM »

Well this is pretty cool...HERE is a live TV performance of Julie Andrews singing "Show Me."  I love the staging!
« Last Edit: May 20, 2012, 01:48:44 AM by George »
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Doug R

« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2012, 02:37:51 AM »

I saw "When a Stranger Calls" in New York, the same week I saw "Time After Time". I also saw "Apocalypse Now" that week in 70mm at the Ziegfeld.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2012, 04:00:55 AM »

Good morning, all!  I was dreaming about performing in a play with several of the singers on  the Herbert songs when I awoke. I remember little else now.

This afternoon I have a coffee date with critic Andy Propst at 4:30 and a party at Steve Ross' after that. The guests of honor are Sheila Smith, George S. Irving, and Jack Lee. So, firstthing this morning, I am off to Toyland to use the office compuuter to burn some DEAREST ENEMY files. Then I can turn everything in to Rodgers & Hammerstein and consider the work on the score completed.

DR Ben, thanks for last night's HYSTERIA reviews. Did you notice that two of them, from Chicago and LA, are the same? The New Jersey review irritated me with its superior attitude; the film is much better than that pompous ass makes it appear.  DR Gerge will love it for Ms Criswell's scenes, if nothing else. I'd never seen Maggie Gyllenhaal in anything before, and I thought she was quite wonderful.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Ben

« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2012, 04:20:15 AM »

No, I didn't notice that they are the same. I didn't read the complete Chicago review. Yes, the NJ review is a bit full of itself isn't it. I do like Miss Gyllenhaal. I'll have to see the movie.

Anthony is going to a concert at Carnegie Hall this afternoon with a friend and then we are going to dinner at East of Eighth afterwards. I am otherwise engaged so I am not attending the concert but I am free afterwards for dinner.

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2012, 04:47:53 AM »

Good morning, all.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2012, 04:48:58 AM »

Good morning, all!  I was dreaming about performing in a play with several of the singers on  the Herbert songs when I awoke. I remember little else now.

This afternoon I have a coffee date with critic Andy Propst at 4:30 and a party at Steve Ross' after that. The guests of honor are Sheila Smith, George S. Irving, and Jack Lee. So, firstthing this morning, I am off to Toyland to use the office compuuter to burn some DEAREST ENEMY files. Then I can turn everything in to Rodgers & Hammerstein and consider the work on the score completed.

Sheila Smith is great. Loved her on the "Sugar" recording and in "Taking My Turn."
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2012, 04:49:38 AM »

Well this is pretty cool...HERE is a live TV performance of Julie Andrews singing "Show Me."  I love the staging!
That was fun. And wasn't that the year the movie version of "My Fair Lady" came out without Julie?
― Voltaire

ArnoldMBrockman

• so many possibilities
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2012, 05:03:37 AM »

And the word of the day is: PHATIC!

And The Song Of The Day Is:  SHOW ME

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2012, 06:05:55 AM »

I loved the picture of your birdie DR JOHNG
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2012, 06:06:42 AM »

LOL DR JMK - well I guess Sydney G could have ended up with Frances' dress if anyone could.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2012, 06:07:19 AM »

We saw When a Stranger Calls at the drive in theater.....and it was most tense and scary. 

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2012, 06:08:05 AM »

Sunday Show Vibes for DR GEORGE.

Today at 3 p.m. EDST is the first session of auditions for THE CURIOUS SAVAGE which I am directing.  I hope to have a good turnout today....although I also have another session tomorrow at 7 p.m.

Michael

« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2012, 06:17:47 AM »

good morn to all
Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #16 on: May 20, 2012, 06:20:02 AM »

I believe "WHEN A STRANGER CALLS" was originally a short film made by the same director and was just the first 20 minutes. It may have been his student thesis film
Never stop dreaming.

Kerry

« Reply #17 on: May 20, 2012, 07:01:14 AM »

I saw "When a Stranger Calls" at the theatre when it came out and was very confident that it wouldn't scare me because I thought I knew what the kicker was with the movie.  What I didn't realize was that it was only the first 20 minutes.  It was all unknown and all suspense after that. When I  got home that night after feeling like I'd had a heart attack in the theatre (I don't handle these things well), I would not let my dog leave my side for the rest of the evening. I think I  may even just carried her around the house with me while I locked all the doors.

I think Colleen Dewhurst portrayed the perfect picture of loneliness in that movie, and there's an image of her walking home from the bar (near Bunker Hill maybe?) that still haunts me.
I like boat races.

Kerry

« Reply #18 on: May 20, 2012, 07:01:28 AM »

GARN!
I like boat races.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #19 on: May 20, 2012, 07:06:27 AM »

Today at 3 p.m. EDST is the first session of auditions for THE CURIOUS SAVAGE which I am directing.  I hope to have a good turnout today....although I also have another session tomorrow at 7 p.m.

DR JRand61, best of luck with the auditions! I hope all the roles are easily filled and that none of your betes noirs show up to plague you!
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #20 on: May 20, 2012, 07:07:13 AM »

Greetings from what's left of Toyland!

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #21 on: May 20, 2012, 07:08:14 AM »

No, I didn't notice that they are the same. I didn't read the complete Chicago review. Yes, the NJ review is a bit full of itself isn't it. I do like Miss Gyllenhaal. I'll have to see the movie.

You'll have to see it for the great Gemma Jones, too!

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #22 on: May 20, 2012, 07:19:58 AM »

George, one assumes the stage adaptation is somewhat longer than the "source novel".  ;)
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

JMK

« Reply #23 on: May 20, 2012, 07:21:50 AM »

May I just say that people on the internet are idiots (technical term) sometimes.  A self appointed expert who went after me about To Kill a Mockingbird (until everyone from BK to Robert A. Harris disagreed with him) is now on a tear about The Sting.  I truly do not get why some people are so exercised about things like this.

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

JMK

« Reply #24 on: May 20, 2012, 07:28:53 AM »

For a moment I thought today's title was a reference to former Utah Senator Jake Garn.  :)

Jake was an officer of my father's and he and my Dad managed to save Utah's Fort Douglas from being bulldozed in the 1970s.   Some of the Fort had to be given up to the encroaching University of Utah, but the bulk of the most historic buildings (including my Dad's museum) are still there and they're lovely.

JMK

« Reply #25 on: May 20, 2012, 07:33:47 AM »

My parents were both very fond of Jake.  The same could not be said of their reaction to Orrin Hatch.  :)

Matthew

• You there, why are you so late?
« Reply #26 on: May 20, 2012, 07:33:54 AM »

Off to church, then to SF maybe.  It depends if we want to deal with post "Bay To Breakers" crowds.  It might be late enough so we don't have to worry.  We want to take the DP's mom to the Vera Bradley store and then to dinner and dessert.  That may be rethought, though.   It's a lovely day here in the Bay Area.  I hope we get out and do something exciting.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #27 on: May 20, 2012, 07:55:24 AM »

DR JRand61, best of luck with the auditions! I hope all the roles are easily filled and that none of your betes noirs show up to plague you!

From your keyboard to the ears of Thespis.

Ben

« Reply #28 on: May 20, 2012, 08:13:23 AM »

You'll have to see it for the great Gemma Jones, too!

That's right! She has aged well. I googled images of her and she looks the same only older.

ChasSmith

« Reply #29 on: May 20, 2012, 08:17:12 AM »

I wish I had a good memory of seeing "When A Stranger Calls" at a theater, with an audience, etc.  Unfortunately, I think I didn't see it until it was on TV.  Loved it nevertheless, but boy did I miss out on this one.  Damn.  Damn.  Damn.  Damn.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Up