Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9   Go Down

Author Topic: HOMEWARD BOUND  (Read 15636 times)

ChasSmith

Re: HOMEWARD BOUND
« Reply #60 on: June 18, 2012, 09:16:35 AM »

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #61 on: June 18, 2012, 09:24:42 AM »

Well, my work hasn't been in vain. The Library of Congress may do a Victor Herbert concert in the fall and that would help promote the Herbert Collection. I am very excited about this.

Wow!  Very cool news, DR Elmore!
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

MBarnum

« Reply #62 on: June 18, 2012, 09:25:38 AM »

I had an amazingly busy weekend and missed the last 3 days of HHW posts...but am now all caught up.

The NYC get-together sounds like it was great fun, and I only wish I had been there. I have had the good fortune to attend two NYC HHW gatherings, and they are each highlights of my life...and inexpensive ones at that, since I always was able to board with DR Elmore and former DR Rodzinski. And I am glad to see that Rodzinski was there, but it looks like former DR Jason was not. I think he is in the middle of moving, however, according to his Facebook posts.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #63 on: June 18, 2012, 09:28:39 AM »

Funnily, I left Harvey a message, asking him to tell Tom Jones about the signing, which I thought might be fun for him to attend because of Evening Star.  Now I know why he didn't call back, which he always does very quickly.  We were in the same city.  I wish I'd known.

Ginny

« Reply #64 on: June 18, 2012, 09:29:09 AM »

Well, my work hasn't been in vain. The Library of Congress may do a Victor Herbert concert in the fall and that would help promote the Herbert Collection. I am very excited about this.

Hmm, do Richard and I need to plan an autumn trip to DC?
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

MBarnum

« Reply #65 on: June 18, 2012, 09:31:04 AM »

Saturday was spent watching my grandniece Taylor and taking her to her dance recital while her parents attended a wedding.

Taylor and I had lots of fun. I gifted her with a personally autographed photo from my dear friend, actress Laurie Mitchell. The photo that Laurie signed for Taylor (and her little brother Ben) was from ATTACK OF THE PUPPET PEOPLE, a movie that both of the kids love. Taylor was totally in awe of getting this autographed photo from a movie star. I was surprised at how much she loved it. She just kept staring at it and started asking all sorts of questions about Laurie and how they did the special effects in the film and who else from the film I knew.

After her dance recital (Ben was not with us, he was down in Corvallis staying with his grandparents), Taylor and I returned to her home, popped popcorn and watched episodes of the original FLIPPER tv series which we both enjoyed.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #66 on: June 18, 2012, 09:31:20 AM »

Harvey Schmidt

visits The Fantasticks in NYC

Seeing Mr. Schmidt's name hyperlinked like that made my heart skip a beat.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

ChasSmith

« Reply #67 on: June 18, 2012, 09:36:51 AM »

It just happens that a few friends and I just watched/listened to the commentary with Laurie Mitchell on QUEEN OF OUTER SPACE.  Further, I am introducing someone this very evening to ATTACK OF THE PUPPET PEOPLE.

MBarnum

« Reply #68 on: June 18, 2012, 09:37:08 AM »

Sunday I met my friend Mark, who is visiting from Wyoming, in downtown Portland for Portland Pride.

I missed the parade this year, but Mark and I hit a few of the bars. We located our drunk friend Terry at Scandals but we quickly tired of that, so we headed over to SILVERADO where we enjoyed the view of the male strippers. I made sure that I had plenty of dollar bills on me.  8)

Afterwards we strolled around the riverfront then had dinner at Portland Grill, which is a rather fancy restaurant on the 30th floor of one of the cities many skyscrapers. The meals start at around $50.00 each and go up from there. Thankfully, Sunday is happy hour all day and there were several $5 and $6 dollar choices on the menu. Whew!

MBarnum

« Reply #69 on: June 18, 2012, 09:37:42 AM »

DR ChasSmith, you are one of the good ones!

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #70 on: June 18, 2012, 09:39:37 AM »

I've always appreciated that my high school made Typing I a requirement for college prep students.  And the course was particularlly fun because just about every friend I had in high school was in the same class. 

My typing teacher's name was Selma Gumnit.  Her most repeated phrase: "Wrists up!"
-- Anaïs Nin

MBarnum

« Reply #71 on: June 18, 2012, 09:39:56 AM »

I must say that I am exhuasted today. This Sleep Apnea business reall kicks my butt. I am glad to finally have identified the problem of why I have been so constantly exhausted, but I sure wish the treatment would kick in...some days I feel really good, but most days I still do not. It does take time, however, I am told.

MBarnum

« Reply #72 on: June 18, 2012, 09:40:56 AM »

I took typing when I was in high school. I don't remember how many guys were in the class. I took it probably because I didn't want to take a math class or something.

MBarnum

« Reply #73 on: June 18, 2012, 09:43:16 AM »

Selma Gumnit. That is the name I will use if I should ever adopt a girl child.

MBarnum

« Reply #74 on: June 18, 2012, 09:44:10 AM »

David Clair was my typing teacher, which I just remembered I first took in Jr High, not high school, although I did later take a class in high school.

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
« Reply #75 on: June 18, 2012, 10:06:42 AM »

Harvey Schmidt

visits The Fantasticks in NYC
Thanks for posting that.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
« Reply #76 on: June 18, 2012, 10:08:00 AM »

I must say that I am exhuasted today. This Sleep Apnea business reall kicks my butt. I am glad to finally have identified the problem of why I have been so constantly exhausted, but I sure wish the treatment would kick in...some days I feel really good, but most days I still do not. It does take time, however, I am told.
How long have you been using the mask?

By the way, there's a story in the news today about how men who treat their sleep apnea properly generally tend to have healthier sex drives.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

ChasSmith

« Reply #77 on: June 18, 2012, 10:27:35 AM »

Email just received:  "Your Amazon.com order of "When a Stranger Calls" has shipped!"  Yay!!

That's the DVD.  I only saw the film once or twice, and not since the 1980s.  After listening to the incredible soundtrack CD last week, I had to have it.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #78 on: June 18, 2012, 10:28:14 AM »

I think the NO LETTERS ON THE KEYS typewriters were particularly used for tests.....but going in and looking at the chart instead of the keys was really good for me.

BUT NO, I never did understand why the errors/WPM totals were done that way.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #79 on: June 18, 2012, 10:29:41 AM »

DR MBARNUM had a much livelier weekend than did I!

MBarnum

« Reply #80 on: June 18, 2012, 10:31:28 AM »

DR JohnG, I started using the mask in mid-December, and am 100% compliant. I have had some days in which I felt totally energetic, and a couple of whole weeks where I felt great, but these last two weeks have been right back to feeling like I did prior to the treatment.

I understand that this is not abnormal, but after feeling really well, I am not liking the feeling really icky again.

The biggest improvement was when I switched from a nasal mask to the nasal pillows, although that may or may not have had anything to do with the effectiveness...but it certainly helped the comfort of trying to sleep with a big gadget attached to my face

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #81 on: June 18, 2012, 10:32:34 AM »

DR FJL here is a page sort of like the one in my typing textbook.  You will notice the little green numbers on the right side of the page.....where you stopped after one minute - the green number told you your WPM.

On the longer tests there was a second set of numbers for 5 minute timed tests....but the numbers were WPM....i.e. still 56 or 60.

However my teachers made us count ALL of the mistakes we had made in the five minutes and take it off our one minute WPM total.....which was B.S. as far as I was concerned.

My first teacher Miss Something or Other, said - oh well, your errors are averaged as well in the total....and I said....not that I can see.....and she said....you just don't get understand....and I still don't.  :P

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #82 on: June 18, 2012, 10:37:00 AM »

Oh.....no pic....maybe here

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #83 on: June 18, 2012, 10:46:21 AM »

DR Laura II,

Jane

« Reply #84 on: June 18, 2012, 10:50:32 AM »

VIBES IT HAPPENS!!!

Jane

« Reply #85 on: June 18, 2012, 10:51:34 AM »

Monday morning greetings!  We had a nice visit from Rob and Mary Linda last night and a spur-of-the-moment dinner of Chinese take-out.  They went home with all the leftovers, so should have some nice lunches to take to work for a couple of days.  Speaking of work, Paramedic Rob starts a new job today.  He's doing the same kind of work, but with a competitor who offered better equipment, better schedule, better benefits, and, above all, more money.

Congratulations to Rob!  May he be very happy at his new job!

Jane

« Reply #86 on: June 18, 2012, 10:53:05 AM »

Bryan also began his job as a resident today.  The first week seems to be mostly an introduction to the job.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #87 on: June 18, 2012, 10:55:16 AM »

Wow!

New jobs vibes for Rob and Bryan!!!

Jane

« Reply #88 on: June 18, 2012, 10:55:20 AM »

In my memory, the typing class I took one semester in high school was equal parts male/female, and I don't recall any stigma attached to it in any way.  It wasn't like a "shop" and "home ec" thing.  I'd previously taught myself to type (using the two fingers on each hand method) on my mother's ancient Royal at home, and was thrilled to finally learn it for real.

I do say "type", and so does every civilized person I know.

My high school class was mixed as well.

I enjoyed your description of your trip home.

Jane

« Reply #89 on: June 18, 2012, 10:58:25 AM »

Taylor and I had lots of fun. I gifted her with a personally autographed photo from my dear friend, actress Laurie Mitchell. The photo that Laurie signed for Taylor (and her little brother Ben) was from ATTACK OF THE PUPPET PEOPLE, a movie that both of the kids love. Taylor was totally in awe of getting this autographed photo from a movie star. I was surprised at how much she loved it. She just kept staring at it and started asking all sorts of questions about Laurie and how they did the special effects in the film and who else from the film I knew.

Cute. :)
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9   Go Up