Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: CONTRAST BOOSTING  (Read 9105 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
CONTRAST BOOSTING
« on: June 25, 2012, 12:00:00 AM »

Well, you've read the notes, the notes had contrasted and were boosted, and now it is time for you to post until the contrasty cows come home.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re: CONTRAST BOOSTING
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2012, 12:00:44 AM »

And the word of the day is: INSTAURATION!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2012, 12:03:06 AM »

And here is the new Kritzerland release.  You can order on the site at six in the morning, but if you want to order prior to that, you know the drill - 23.73 (includes shipping) via paypal to kritzerland at adelphia dot net.

Kritzerland is pleased to present a new limited edition soundtrack CD – two great scores, one a world-premiere release, on one jam-packed CD:

THE WAYWARD BUS

and

THE ENEMY BELOW

Music Composed by Leigh Harline  Conducted by Lionel Newman

John Steinbeck and the movies seemed made for each other.   He was blessed to have major directors bring his works to the screen – such greats as John Ford (The Grapes of Wrath), Elia Kazan (Viva Zapata and East of Eden), Alfred Hitchcock (Lifeboat), Lewis Milestone (Of Mice and Men and The Red Pony), and Victor Fleming (Tortilla Flat).  It was a homecoming of sorts for The Wayward Bus – Twentieth Century Fox had already done Steinbeck’s The Grapes of Wrath, Lifeboat, and Viva Zapata, and The Wayward Bus, whose journey to the screen was indeed wayward, ended up at Fox after having floated around elsewhere for several years.     Top-billed was Joan Collins as an insecure, hard-drinking, jealous wife, with Rick Jason as her husband, the driver of the titular wayward bus.  But it’s really an ensemble picture.  Hot off her screen success in The Girl Can’t Help It, Jayne Mansfield turns in a wonderful and touching performance as a stag party gal, and Dan Dailey is also affecting as a salesman who takes an interest in her.  Also terrific are Betty Lou Keim and Dolores Michaels – Keim playing an unhappy waitress getting away from her humdrum job, and Michaels as a young woman trying to break free of her strict parents.   Also released by Fox in 1957 was the tense and exciting war picture, The Enemy Below.  Directed by Dick Powell, The Enemy Below is the story of two boats – an American destroyer and a German U-boat.  Robert Mitchum and Curt Jurgens turn in excellent performances as the two captains engaged in a deadly battle of wits.  The taut screenplay was by Wendell Mayes (The Spirit of St. Louis, Anatomy of a Murder, Advise and Consent, In Harm’s Way, Von Ryan’s Express, Hotel, The Poseidon Adventure, and Death Wish to name a few), based on the novel by D.A. Rayner, and the film was beautifully shot by Harold Rossen in color and Cinemascope.
 The Wayward Bus and The Enemy Below, while polar opposites as films, did share something vital between them – two very different but superb musical scores by Leigh Harline.     Harline’s score for The Wayward Bus is filled with the longing and yearning of its characters.  You can feel it immediately in the film’s main title music, and it continues in each successive cue – it really gets under the skin of the characters and drama, and it’s filled with plaintive melodies and colors.  The music for The Enemy Below is thrilling and memorable.  Harline’s scoring choices are interesting – he lets long dialogue sequences play without music, while scoring the action sequences, with his themes clearly defining the American and German boats and their maneuvers.  Once the climactic battle begins, Harline lets his music go pretty much non-stop, and it’s simply exhilarating battle music, the kind no one seems to know how to write anymore.  This is the world premiere release of The Wayward Bus, in stereo and sounding wonderful, thanks to the usual tender loving care of Nick Redman’s team.  We present the complete score as it appears in the film.  The Enemy Below was previously released on Intrada (as a standalone score, which quickly sold out).  We’ve remastered it for this release, presenting every note of Harline’s score, but omitting the bonus tracks from the Intrada CD, which consisted of a few German drinking songs and some radar blips.

The Wayward Bus/The Enemy Below is limited to 1000 copies only.  The price is $19.98, plus shipping.

CD will ship the second week of August  – however, never fear, preorders placed directly through Kritzerland usually ship one to five weeks earlier (we’ve been averaging four weeks early).   To place an order, see the cover, or hear audio samples, just visit www.kritzerland.com.

Ben

« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2012, 02:49:35 AM »

Morning all.

That is all.

Danise

« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2012, 03:34:26 AM »

Hi all.  Made it though the night--and with power even though as soon as I said "Good night" here, the power went out for about a half hour.

My eyes feel goopy but are ok.  I can't believe that I have to go to work today.  Not with all the flooding they are reporting around downtown tampa.  Oh well. 
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Danise

« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2012, 03:36:38 AM »

I must be only have awake right now.  I just heard a tv commercial about AC work.  I heard the guy say they would come clean your ducts but for whatever reason I heard "ducks".   

Have a good day and vibes to all who need them!!!!!
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Michael

« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2012, 04:20:56 AM »

good morning to all
Never stop dreaming.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2012, 04:23:23 AM »

Good morning, all! I slept horribly last night, fitfully with a lot of tossing and turning, pursued by really strange dreams that i now recall little about. In the only one I do remember, i was a busnessman waiting outside a bank.

I will be heading down to the McGlinnventory this morning to ship these books to Dublin and get this job off my back. I'm meeting my friend Korliss this afternoon for coffee, and I look forward to seeing her. I believe that is it.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

vixmom

• Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2012, 04:46:28 AM »

and its raining again
Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty

It’s weird being the same age as old people

vixmom

• Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2012, 04:46:46 AM »

off to wrk
Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty

It’s weird being the same age as old people

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2012, 05:04:09 AM »

Good morning, all.

Vibes and waves of cool weather to all in need. It's going to be a scorcher here. They're talking highs of 104 for several days this week.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2012, 05:05:35 AM »

TOD:

DeNiro:
King of Comedy
Raging Bull
Taxi Driver
New York, New York

Hoffman:
The Graduate
Tootsie
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2012, 05:27:15 AM »

Today is Monday.  Shopping and banking to do.

I really do not like any of the movies MR BK mentioned in the notes today:  Broadcast News, Terms of Endearment, and As Good As It Gets are just all so self-indulgent to me .....from direction to performances......  I know there are some Oscar winning turns there.....but whew!  Not for me, thank you.....no matter how good the transfer is.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2012, 05:27:23 AM »

CD ordered!
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

ChasSmith

« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2012, 05:35:53 AM »

Coffee.  My kingdom for coffee.

Good morning, all.  

Woke up over an hour ago to one of those symphonies of thunder we get maybe once or twice a year.  I just had to lie there and marvel at it.  Lightning and thunder were continuous and coming from all directions, a really amazing and overwhelming show.  We're in a calm between two lines of it now.  The second looks like it'll be more rain and less intense in the lightning and thunder department, but we'll see.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2012, 05:37:51 AM by ChasSmith »

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #15 on: June 25, 2012, 05:36:01 AM »

It's about time to head out and it's raining. Damn!

I just got an email from Karl, the Irish actor wh played the two dialogue roles in EILEEN,  and he's not heading to Los Angeles until after we finish the recording, so I'm hoping we can hire him again. When we asked him three months ago, he told us he would be in LA, but he's been waiting on a visa. His cousn Colin is a lead on this new tv series with Jennifer Love Hewett.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Ben

« Reply #16 on: June 25, 2012, 05:40:42 AM »

The skies have opened in New York City!!! I hear thunder. I need to run an errand. I hope it clears up by lunchtime (around 11:30 am for me).

ChasSmith

« Reply #17 on: June 25, 2012, 05:48:45 AM »

TOD

DE NIRO:
Taxi Driver
The King of Comedy
Brazil
Cape Fear
A Bronx Tale

HOFFMAN:
The Graduate
Midnight Cowboy
Straw Dogs
All the President’s Men
Marathon Man
Tootsie

FJL

« Reply #18 on: June 25, 2012, 05:49:07 AM »

Hope it goes smoothly for you, Ben!

FJL

« Reply #19 on: June 25, 2012, 05:50:34 AM »

Likewise for elmore!

FJL

« Reply #20 on: June 25, 2012, 05:51:28 AM »

And everybody who has to go out in this weather! 

FJL

« Reply #21 on: June 25, 2012, 05:53:04 AM »

Still and all, wishing there were somewhere profitable to go, even in this weather, so perspective, I guess.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #22 on: June 25, 2012, 05:53:50 AM »

TOD:

Mr. DeNiro:
RAGING BULL
TAXI DRIVER
MEET THE PARENTS
A BRONX TALE
THE KING OF COMEDY

Mr Hoffmann:
TOOTSIE
KRAMER VS KRAMER
THE GRADUATE
LENNY
MIDNIGHT COWBOY
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #23 on: June 25, 2012, 05:56:17 AM »

I would love to see a thunderstorm!  Thus far this summer, the severe ones to hit my area seem to occur in the middle of the night when I'm not in the mood to observe them.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #24 on: June 25, 2012, 06:14:31 AM »

I remember that I liked AS GOOD AS IT GETS when I saw it years ago, but without BK's description of some of the plot points I don't think I could recall anything about it.

TERMS OF ENDEARMENT, on the other hand, struck a deep chord with me and I devoured every repeated viewing when it began running on cable in the early 80s.  There was a gap of about twenty years where I didn't see it until about two years ago when it began showing up regularly on cable again and I was reminded how much I love this movie.

BROADCAST NEWS appeals to me more on an intellectual level but there is that one scene where William Hurt's character spots Holly Hunter arriving for a date and he does that heart-struck-by-Cupid's-bow thing that still makes me swoon--I've often stolen that gesture.
-- Anaïs Nin

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #25 on: June 25, 2012, 06:19:09 AM »

New title announced.

Jennifer

« Reply #26 on: June 25, 2012, 06:22:39 AM »

DR jane, that is great that you can now swim across the pool without stopping. But you shouldn't have felt embarrassed before. As long as you weren't in the fast lane slowing people down then everyone should go at their own pace.

Jennifer

« Reply #27 on: June 25, 2012, 06:23:08 AM »

I am hungry!

Jennifer

« Reply #28 on: June 25, 2012, 06:24:49 AM »

I can't believe how fast the weather can change. It was so hot last week. Record temps. And so nice and sunny. And now the next 3 days are supposed to be so cool and rainy. And then thurs-sun are supposed to be hot and sunny again.  It's not so much the rain i find odd. It's how cool it is supposed to get. To go from 40C to 16C that is crazy (100+F = 60F).

ArnoldMBrockman

• so many possibilities
« Reply #29 on: June 25, 2012, 06:27:45 AM »

And the word of the day is: INSTAURATION!

And The Song Of The Day Is:  PUTTING IT TOGETHER
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Up