Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: THROWING CAUTION TO THE WIND  (Read 10565 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
THROWING CAUTION TO THE WIND
« on: June 26, 2012, 12:37:04 AM »

Well, you've read the notes, the notes threw caution to the wind, and now it is time for you to post until the cautious and windy cows come home.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re: THROWING CAUTION TO THE WIND
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2012, 12:37:47 AM »

And the word of the day is: MAKEBATE!

Ben

« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2012, 02:08:01 AM »

Morning all.

That is all.

Danise

« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2012, 03:26:29 AM »

Hi all.  Hope everyone has a good and wonderful, vibe filled day!

It's pouring down rain as I type this.  I don't want to have to go out in that but I guess I have to.

I didn't get anything from the county except use my vacation time.  The insurance wouldn't pay the claim.  Scum.
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2012, 04:55:49 AM »

Good morning, all.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2012, 04:56:31 AM »

Dry vibes to those who need them and wet vibes to those of us who need them, too.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2012, 04:56:53 AM »

Aren't they calling the wind Debby instead of Maria this week?
― Voltaire

Ben

« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2012, 05:10:59 AM »

We went from a heat wave to chilly morning weather. It's 59 right now and it won't get much above 70. I have to go to the Dentist after work and I'll probably have to take a jacket when I go.

Doug R

« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2012, 05:16:32 AM »

The weather has improved dramatically. Hot and sunny yesterday and today. My energy supplier is obviously trying to cash in because I've just received a letter from them saying my home may be suitable for solar power panels.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2012, 05:30:59 AM »

Good morning, all! The alarm rang at 6:30 and I slept in another 45 minutes. I slept well most of the night with one peculiar dream about working at a Barnes & Noble that looked more like the Louvre and having High Anxiety over a pay phone call.

This bodes to being a quiet and uneventful day, and I hope that I am right. I have a few errands to eun, more tidying up to do around the apartment and a couple of jobs to begin and hopefully finish this week.

"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Ben

« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2012, 05:39:18 AM »

I am scheduled to work in the Library again today from 11am to 1pm. I hope it's as uneventful as the previous excursion.

Ben

« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2012, 05:46:05 AM »

If anyone is interested you can hear my friend Alex talk about our recent Wedding on her radio show. She then plays a song for Anthony and me from the Kander and Ebb revue, And The World Goes Round. It's Marry Me (from The Rink) which turns into A Quiet Thing (from Flora, The Red Menace). It's a lovely moment (I'm a bit biased but there you have it).

The clip starts at about 1:36 on the clock (that's 1 hour and 36 minutes into the show, not 1 minute and 36 seconds, Songs from the Shows is a 2 hour program). If you move the slider do it in short increments until you get to 1:36. I've found that if you move it straight from the start to the time you're looking for the iPlayer will freeze.

Alex Hall BBC Tees

ChasSmith

« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2012, 05:51:11 AM »

Good morning, all.   Coffee!

It happens at least once every mid-to-late June:  We have a suddenly cool day that is SO cool, I turn the furnace on for a while to take the chill out of the house.  I actually wanted to do it yesterday evening after the second or third or fourth or fifth thunderstorm had barreled through and left things a little cooler than the last.  But I persevered, and left the windows partially open for sleeping, and that was fine ... but finding the thermostat reading 60 this morning was not fine.  If I were a true staunch hardcore traditionalist New Englander (there are plenty of them all around me), I would only touch that dial at the risk of public shame.  But touch it I did.

ChasSmith

« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2012, 05:56:08 AM »

Okay, it's off now.  But I shan't be surprised if we need another boost later on since it's only going up to 70 today out of doors, and while that's still a refreshing change from last week, it doesn't do much for the house and the people in it.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2012, 06:04:13 AM »

It'a a bee-yoo-ti-full morning here in the Hocken of Consho.  One of those rare days where I wished that my walk from the train station to my office building was a little longer.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Jennifer

« Reply #15 on: June 26, 2012, 06:13:17 AM »

DR George wrote re: an article DR TCB posted:
I don't think that the article says that the Kindle can only hold 20 books but just used a random number as an example...I have almost 200 titles on my Kindle.  Okay, a lot are short stories, but I do have quite a few full-length books.

Right they weren't saying that a kindle can hold 20 books. The kindle can hold probably 1000s.

Jennifer

« Reply #16 on: June 26, 2012, 06:16:03 AM »

DR Cillaliz, re: THE NEXT FOOD NETWORK STAR. I'll talk about it after i've watched this week's show.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #17 on: June 26, 2012, 06:23:42 AM »

TOD:

What I like about the internet:
The sheer volume of information that is readily available at any given time (even more so now that I can access it anywhere I go.)
Meeting people who I would have never have otherwise come in contact.
Delighting in the imagination and creativity of the people out there.

What I don't like:
The value of books and music--culture and information in general--has been severly cheapened.
The level of meaness that some people can rise to because of a mistaken notion of anonimity and distance.
Opinions are shared as soon as they're formed.  In social media, time is rarely given to think over and evaulate.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2012, 06:33:07 AM by Dan (the Man) »
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

FJL

« Reply #18 on: June 26, 2012, 06:40:31 AM »

TOD:

The sheer volume of information that is readily available at any given time (even more so now that I can access it anywhere I go.)

What I don't like:
The value of books and music--culture and information in general--has been severly cheapened.
The level of meaness that some people can rise to because of a mistaken notion of anonimity and distance.
Opinions are shared as soon as they're formed.  In social media, time is rarely given to think over and evaulate.

Very well summarized. 

But why do you think it's a mistaken notion of anonymity and distance?

FJL

« Reply #19 on: June 26, 2012, 06:42:34 AM »

I found that when I've tried to find genuinely cyber-assaultive people, the system is strongly protective of their anonymity.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2012, 06:44:06 AM by FJL »

John G.

« Reply #20 on: June 26, 2012, 06:47:46 AM »

If anyone is interested you can hear my friend Alex talk about our recent Wedding on her radio show. She then plays a song for Anthony and me from the Kander and Ebb revue, And The World Goes Round. It's Marry Me (from The Rink) which turns into A Quiet Thing (from Flora, The Red Menace). It's a lovely moment (I'm a bit biased but there you have it).

The clip starts at about 1:36 on the clock (that's 1 hour and 36 minutes into the show, not 1 minute and 36 seconds, Songs from the Shows is a 2 hour program). If you move the slider do it in short increments until you get to 1:36. I've found that if you move it straight from the start to the time you're looking for the iPlayer will freeze.

Alex Hall BBC Tees
That's a lovely gesture on her part. Can't wait to hear it when I get home.
― Voltaire

Druxy

• druxmanworks.com
« Reply #21 on: June 26, 2012, 06:49:57 AM »

TOD:

Like:

Immediate Information

:)

Dislike:

Immediate Misinformation

>:(
You can dream…or you can do.

John G.

« Reply #22 on: June 26, 2012, 06:53:03 AM »

TOD:

What I don't like:
Great list. I would add that in leveling the playing field, the drawback is a level playing field. Everyone is now a critic or an expert, of restaurants, of movies, of theater, of screen-to-DVD  transfers, of politics, of soccer, of you name it. And I have no idea who the critic may be or that person's credentials. Why should I believe someone I don't know when he says a restaurant is bad; his taste could be deplorable. Or why would I listen to a woman I don't know about a play when I don't know what she likes and dislikes? That perspective is part of what is cheapening everything out there.
― Voltaire

Druxy

• druxmanworks.com
« Reply #23 on: June 26, 2012, 07:01:24 AM »

Does anybody here watch CURB YOUR ENTHUSIASM?

We finished watching the 8th season last night on DVD, and I became aware of something disturbing that is, in fact, present in all seasons of the series.

During the end credits of every show, names of the producers, writers, director, and 3-4 regular cast members have their own cards and are easy to read.  But, beyond that, the names of the other actors go by SO FAST that it is impossible to read them.

In several instances, I wanted to see who played a certain role, but I can't read that fast.

How much would it cost the producers to extend those cards another 2-3 seconds in length?

I just wonder why SAG nor anybody else has never objected to this rude practice. 

Kerry

« Reply #24 on: June 26, 2012, 07:10:59 AM »

It's a morning, alright.  If ever there was a morning, this is one.
I like boat races.

John G.

« Reply #25 on: June 26, 2012, 07:19:46 AM »

We finished watching the 8th season last night on DVD, and I became aware of something disturbing that is, in fact, present in all seasons of the series.

During the end credits of every show, names of the producers, writers, director, and 3-4 regular cast members have their own cards and are easy to read.  But, beyond that, the names of the other actors go by SO FAST that it is impossible to read them.

In several instances, I wanted to see who played a certain role, but I can't read that fast.

How much would it cost the producers to extend those cards another 2-3 seconds in length?

I just wonder why SAG nor anybody else has never objected to this rude practice. 
I can't answer why they did that, but you could got to imdb.com to see who was in the show.
― Voltaire

Druxy

• druxmanworks.com
« Reply #26 on: June 26, 2012, 07:20:56 AM »

I can't answer why they did that, but you could got to imdb.com to see who was in the show.

I've already done that.

I just think it's inconsiderate and rude to the other actors.

ChasSmith

« Reply #27 on: June 26, 2012, 07:23:20 AM »

That's annoying and ridiculous on a lot of shows now.  There seems to only be a requirement that the person's name "exist" on the credits for a tiny brief fraction of a nanosecond, not that it be readable or comprehensible.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #28 on: June 26, 2012, 07:24:58 AM »

Very nice DR BEN.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #29 on: June 26, 2012, 07:25:22 AM »

Act One went very well last night....we did it twice.....so hopefully Act Two will follow suit this evening.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Up