Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: THROWING CAUTION TO THE WIND  (Read 10710 times)

TCB

• Because I can!
Re: THROWING CAUTION TO THE WIND
« Reply #90 on: June 26, 2012, 03:25:55 PM »

Page 4!
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

KevinH

« Reply #91 on: June 26, 2012, 03:35:02 PM »

Loved the low temperature this morning.  Unfortunately, it's going to be in the high 90's and maybe 100 over the weekend.

Ben

« Reply #92 on: June 26, 2012, 03:44:47 PM »

Same in NY. It's supposed to be 94 on Friday and 91 or higher on Saturday and Sunday.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #93 on: June 26, 2012, 03:47:02 PM »

Loved the low temperature this morning.  Unfortunately, it's going to be in the high 90's and maybe 100 over the weekend.

We are hoping to reach the 70 degree point this weekend ourselves!
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

ChasSmith

« Reply #94 on: June 26, 2012, 03:48:06 PM »

Same in NY. It's supposed to be 94 on Friday and 91 or higher on Saturday and Sunday.

Oy! So here we go again, so soon after the last one.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #95 on: June 26, 2012, 03:56:29 PM »

Must I do everything!

If you don't mind...
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

KevinH

« Reply #96 on: June 26, 2012, 03:57:01 PM »

If anyone is interested you can hear my friend Alex talk about our recent Wedding on her radio show. She then plays a song for Anthony and me from the Kander and Ebb revue, And The World Goes Round. It's Marry Me (from The Rink) which turns into A Quiet Thing (from Flora, The Red Menace). It's a lovely moment (I'm a bit biased but there you have it).

The clip starts at about 1:36 on the clock (that's 1 hour and 36 minutes into the show, not 1 minute and 36 seconds, Songs from the Shows is a 2 hour program). If you move the slider do it in short increments until you get to 1:36. I've found that if you move it straight from the start to the time you're looking for the iPlayer will freeze.

Alex Hall BBC Tees

Just listened to this, Ben!  How nice!

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #97 on: June 26, 2012, 04:01:16 PM »

From DR Vixmom:
DR Jane -  I currently have 84 books in my Nook color

Thanks.  I have no idea how many I have but I thought 20 was a low number.  After that comment I think the reviewer should have mentioned how many books the readers did hold.

Jane

« Reply #98 on: June 26, 2012, 04:01:44 PM »

I'm impressed you only paid for 6 of them. 

Jane

« Reply #99 on: June 26, 2012, 04:08:14 PM »

From DR Vixmom:
DR Jane would be so proud of me

I am. :)

My brother laughed when I asked him if a book he might have read was worth the free price.

Jane

« Reply #100 on: June 26, 2012, 04:08:39 PM »

Vixmon your dinner last night sounded yummy.

Jane

« Reply #101 on: June 26, 2012, 04:10:08 PM »

From DR George:
I don't think that the article says that the Kindle can only hold 20 books but just used a random number as an example...I have almost 200 titles on my Kindle.  Okay, a lot are short stories, but I do have quite a few full-length books.

I thought that was what the woman who was interviewed said as an example why she liked the Kindle.  I could have taken it the wrong way.

Doug R

« Reply #102 on: June 26, 2012, 04:11:20 PM »

In other news, I have, for about the tenth time, been banned from blu-ray.com because the "site manager" made yet another snarky post in my direction that was truly childish and stupid.  I posted in response that I found it odd that a site manager would have to stoop to such a thing and added, "The one thing we know is that no one will be moderating you."  A true statement but one he, in his infantile way, could not deal with.  Normally the ban comes off after a few days, but I really don't care one way or the other.  They clearly don't want professionals or people who know what they're talking about - they want only people who make pronouncements based on screen caps, only people whose sum total of knowledge has been gleaned from the Internet and watching a DVD or Blu-ray who are suddenly experts in everything.  Why not?  And there you would have the reason for today's topic of discussion.

There's something wrong with a site where someone can suspend a member who knows what they are talking about, on a whim but which also gave free reign to an industry "insider" for many years who was found to be no such thing.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2012, 04:13:06 PM by Doug R »

Ben

« Reply #103 on: June 26, 2012, 04:16:27 PM »

All readers can hold hundreds to even over a thousand books. It depends on how much memory your reader has and the size of the books. Some readers have expandable memory. My Sony has slots for two memory cards (each one has a limit of 8 gigs) so I can have a total of 17 gigs of memory which includes the 1 gig that is on the reader. The downside to the memory cards is it takes more time for the books to load. My reader remembers the page I stopped at on multiple books. I can be reading 4 or 5 books and be in a different place in all of them and when I open the individual book the reader knows where I stopped.

Danise

« Reply #104 on: June 26, 2012, 04:16:47 PM »

Evening all.  We are finely seeing some sun!!!  Still windy but that's ok.

So happy to about Ben and Ant's mention on the radio show!  Who and Ray!!!!!!
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Danise

« Reply #105 on: June 26, 2012, 04:18:12 PM »

As for the net.

I'm grateful for the people it's allowed me to meet.

I'm sorry for anything I've ever said that hurt someone.
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #106 on: June 26, 2012, 04:22:12 PM »

All readers can hold hundreds to even over a thousand books. It depends on how much memory your reader has and the size of the books. Some readers have expandable memory. My Sony has slots for two memory cards (each one has a limit of 8 gigs) so I can have a total of 17 gigs of memory which includes the 1 gig that is on the reader. The downside to the memory cards is it takes more time for the books to load. My reader remembers the page I stopped at on multiple books. I can be reading 4 or 5 books and be in a different place in all of them and when I open the individual book the reader knows where I stopped.

The Kindle's memory is not expandable.  That's the biggest downside...it's only got 3GB memory.  Something like an iPad can also have much, much, MUCH more memory than the Kindle, so with the Kindle app, what you can get is practically unlimited.
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #107 on: June 26, 2012, 04:22:53 PM »

But then, you can fit a lot of books on 3GB.
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Jane

« Reply #108 on: June 26, 2012, 04:25:09 PM »

If anyone is interested you can hear my friend Alex talk about our recent Wedding on her radio show. She then plays a song for Anthony and me from the Kander and Ebb revue, And The World Goes Round. It's Marry Me (from The Rink) which turns into A Quiet Thing (from Flora, The Red Menace). It's a lovely moment (I'm a bit biased but there you have it).

The clip starts at about 1:36 on the clock (that's 1 hour and 36 minutes into the show, not 1 minute and 36 seconds, Songs from the Shows is a 2 hour program). If you move the slider do it in short increments until you get to 1:36. I've found that if you move it straight from the start to the time you're looking for the iPlayer will freeze.

Alex Hall BBC Tees

I'm listening now. :)

Danise

« Reply #109 on: June 26, 2012, 04:25:13 PM »

Why do I have the sneaking suspicion that that "Hope you win!" message that pops up when you bid on eBay is not limited to me alone?
I've been meaning to tell you my winning bid strategy.  I don't place a bid.  I look at the item, decided the max I would like pay for it.  I then put it on my watch list.

When the object of my desire comes up, I wait unit the LAST 30 seconds and then swoop in like a Klingon Bird of Prey and place my max bid.  I almost always win. :)
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Jane

« Reply #110 on: June 26, 2012, 04:30:59 PM »

From DR TCB:
they were saying you  could have multiple books open to read, for those who don't stick with the same book until it is finished.

Now I get it. ;) 

Danise

« Reply #111 on: June 26, 2012, 04:32:06 PM »

No doubt leaving the other bidders with thoughts of "how the heck did THAT happen?".   Cool thing is that no one knows I'm even interested until it's to late.
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

FJL

« Reply #112 on: June 26, 2012, 04:49:13 PM »

I understand Mr. Jackson is on the Tony nominating committee this year.

Confirmed in Playbill

http://www.playbill.com/news/article/167162-Mark-Brokaw-Cheyenne-Jackson-Liza-Gennaro-Adam-Guettel-and-More-Join-Tony-Nominating-Committee-for-2012-13

They have to attend every Broadway show?  Wow that could be a full-time job.  And a lot of shows you would need to attend during the first week.

And how many shows open just before the cut-off date??

Will Mr. Jackson attend in cut-offs?

Jane

« Reply #113 on: June 26, 2012, 04:51:51 PM »

Hugs and vibes of comfort for our DR Edi who had to say goodbye to her extra special cat Bailey.

FJL

« Reply #114 on: June 26, 2012, 05:11:52 PM »

Hugs and vibes of comfort for our DR Edi who had to say goodbye to her extra special cat Bailey.

Hugs from us to Edi as well

George

« Reply #115 on: June 26, 2012, 05:12:33 PM »

I understand Mr. Jackson is on the Tony nominating committee this year.

Confirmed in Playbill

http://www.playbill.com/news/article/167162-Mark-Brokaw-Cheyenne-Jackson-Liza-Gennaro-Adam-Guettel-and-More-Join-Tony-Nominating-Committee-for-2012-13

They have to attend every Broadway show?  Wow that could be a full-time job.  And a lot of shows you would need to attend during the first week.

And how many shows open just before the cut-off date??

Will Mr. Jackson attend in cut-offs?

One can only hope!

;)

Jane

« Reply #116 on: June 26, 2012, 05:13:14 PM »

This is sad, "The writer and director Nora Ephron is gravely ill in her battle with leukemia"

http://gma.yahoo.com/writer-director-nora-ephron-gravely-ill-friends-221908312--abc-news-tv.html

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
« Reply #117 on: June 26, 2012, 05:30:11 PM »

Hugs from us to Edi as well
And more hugs.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #118 on: June 26, 2012, 05:30:55 PM »

Just finished culling 100 photos from Italy. I need to race off tonight to Walgreens where prints are only 10 cents through tonight.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #119 on: June 26, 2012, 05:31:22 PM »

Watch it be my luck that my neighborhood Walgreens is the only one not participating in the promotion.
― Voltaire
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Up