Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Down

Author Topic: SYMPHONY OF NOISE  (Read 11610 times)

Matthew

• You there, why are you so late?
Re: SYMPHONY OF NOISE
« Reply #90 on: July 08, 2012, 03:12:50 PM »

(insert Follies song title here)

Matthew

• You there, why are you so late?
« Reply #91 on: July 08, 2012, 03:13:07 PM »

Listen to the Rain of the Roof  DANCE

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #92 on: July 08, 2012, 03:13:43 PM »

DR Vixmom, thanks.

I'm glad your party was fun.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #93 on: July 08, 2012, 03:14:34 PM »

Finished the second set of liner notes and need a break, so I'll eat some low-cal low-fat hot dogs and watch the third Maria Wern film.

Jane

« Reply #94 on: July 08, 2012, 03:14:35 PM »

Quote from: vixmom on July 07, 2012, 06:48:16 PM
Oh sure, I show up and Jane leaves!

From DR George:
I love Jane Leeves!  She was in "Murphy Brown," then "Frasier," and now "Hot in Cleveland."

;D

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
« Reply #95 on: July 08, 2012, 03:20:00 PM »

Re: conversations from nearby tables:
I've been to some restaurants where the tables are extremely close together. Several years ago a friend took me to an expensive restaurant for my birthday. The food was good, but not great, but the real problem was the noise level in the restaurant. We were packed in like the proverbial sardines! There were four people at the table next to us, in animated conversation, and I truly felt like I was sitting in someone's lap. I know this is a highly rated--and did I mention expensive?--restaurant, but it ruined it for me. I would have preferred to have gone out for burritos and an actual conversation.

John G, do you hear many complaints about this?
Noise is probably the largest complaint that diners have about restaurants, and yet the restaurateurs claim that the noise creates an energy that is desirable and highly valued. If a place is too quiet, people are afraid to  talk or won't stay, so they say. It has long been a problem. The San Francisco Chronicle restaurant reviewers take a noise reader with them and record just how noisy places were and include the number with their review.  Someone complained about a high reader, so the critics went back (anonymously) and reported even higher noise levels than before.

I, too, agree with you about the sardine atmosphere, especially at restaurants with a long banquette and tables sort of scrunched together. The table has to be removed for someone to sit on the banquette, which always makes people feel fat, regardless of what size they are. Then, you feel as if you're in somebody's lap, as you put it, because of the conversations going on. At a seafood place in town, very expensive and quite wonderful, my friend and I had to listen to the woman at the table next to us complain about every last detail. She was furious because she swore the waitress didn't tell her about a special that I had ordered that, of course, was better than what she got (the waitress had). Then she tore apart every last aspect of the restaurant before turning on her husband. I had no clue who she was, but I hated the fact that her bitterness, caused by something beyond the purview of the restaurant (like a headache or a cheating spouse or something) affected my meal.

“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #96 on: July 08, 2012, 03:21:53 PM »

Ernest Borgnine has died.

He was one of the nicest people in the business.

I was with him in Dallas this past May at Texas Frightmare Weeked. 

He will be missed.
  So sorry to read this.  He was a favorite.  Condolences to both his family and friends.
I hope he doesn't have to face Ethel Merman in the afterlife.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

Doug R

« Reply #97 on: July 08, 2012, 03:22:42 PM »

Having read "Rosemary's Baby" I thought what a refreshing change to read a novel of around 200 pages. So many books nowadays are too long. Faced with 600 pages or more, I lose enthusiasm before the first page.

KevinH

« Reply #98 on: July 08, 2012, 03:40:27 PM »

BK is on a Partridge Family episode right now (on Antenna TV)!

ChasSmith

« Reply #99 on: July 08, 2012, 03:51:06 PM »

Got it!

And I didn't even know I had Antenna TV.  Thank you, DR KevinH.

Jane

« Reply #100 on: July 08, 2012, 03:51:45 PM »

NO MORE ACCIDENT VIBES TO THE FAMILY OF DR CILLA!!!

Jane

« Reply #101 on: July 08, 2012, 03:53:20 PM »

We went out to check and there was a BFR!!!

That's Big Frikkin' Racoon, in case you're trying to guess.

;D

Jane

« Reply #102 on: July 08, 2012, 03:54:35 PM »

Luckily, the dogs are not frightened by thunder and such.

:)

Luckily I've only ever had one pet that was frightened by storms.  She informed us they were coming before we heard them.

Jane

« Reply #103 on: July 08, 2012, 03:55:47 PM »

DR Jane (and anyone else), my niece (6) has turned into a big time reader. She is reading the Nancy Drew teen crew books. Daisy Meadows Fairy series. Fancy Nancy chapter book.   It is so cute to watch. She just loves to read!

So far this summer she's been to her library 3 or 4 times. And mine twice (different selections of books). And this is only since she finished school on June 22nd.

I hope she never loses her love of reading and that her little sister will share it.

Jane

« Reply #104 on: July 08, 2012, 03:56:38 PM »

I wonder if the tables in LA restaurants are closer than they are here. Not that I eat out that often, but I am never close enough to another table to be able to hear what others are saying!

Maybe the people in LA are just louder ;)

Jane

« Reply #105 on: July 08, 2012, 03:56:55 PM »

Welcome home to DR JANE.

Thank you.

Jane

« Reply #106 on: July 08, 2012, 03:58:57 PM »

Glad that DR Jane and DH Keith are home, safe and sound!

Danise

« Reply #107 on: July 08, 2012, 04:04:47 PM »

BK is on a Partridge Family episode right now (on Antenna TV)!
Drat, I don't get that channel. 

You know the main thing I remember about David Cassidy was the time he got tricked by some reporter into telling I don't even remember what about himself.  It was in all the teen magazines of the time, Tigar Beat, etc.  Anyway, I didn't really care for him (I was an Osmond fan) but I felt so bad for him that I wrote and in my stupidity said if he was in trouble I was sure my Mom and Dad would let him stay with us. 

I got to talk to him a couple of years ago when he was on a local radio station.  I wanted him to say "Hi" to a friend of mine who was a huge fan  but was to scared to call (and both of us grown women).  Heck, I'll talk to anyone.  I don't care who they are.  :) 
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Jane

« Reply #108 on: July 08, 2012, 04:04:56 PM »

Oh I think making the cue available so that we can hear what has been done is a great idea.

We have seen baby raccoons out while the parent's slept.  Both times they were very cute to watch.

Jane

« Reply #109 on: July 08, 2012, 04:06:28 PM »

Has anybody here tried YONANAS?

It's basically frozen fruit that you put in the machine and it comes out the texture of soft ice cream.

I got one this week and LOVE IT.  It is amazing especially if you like ice cream but don't want to gain weight.  Plus if you don't do well with dairy.

I showed it to my niece today. We made so many different flavors to test. We had banana/blueberry, raspberry, blueberry, with a bit of banana (this was super good). Also banana and peaches. And banana/cherry/blueberry.

http://www.yonanas.com/

It looks interesting.  If I had young children I would consider getting it.

Jane

« Reply #110 on: July 08, 2012, 04:07:17 PM »

Ernest Borgnine has died.

He was one of the nicest people in the business.

I was with him in Dallas this past May at Texas Frightmare Weeked. 

He will be missed.

He seemed like the nicest guy in the world.  95-not bad.

Jane

« Reply #111 on: July 08, 2012, 04:10:10 PM »

Question: Do opossums carry rabies?

Answer: Any mammal can get rabies. However, the chance of rabies in an opossum is EXTREMELY RARE. This may have something to do with the opossum’s low body temperature (94-97º F) making it difficult for the virus to survive in an opossum’s body.

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20070714161011AAE6vg1

Raccoons are far more likely to carry rabies then an Opossum.  I've seen plenty of them (opossums) both in the day and the night around here where I live.  They are always cute/ugly.  Love the babies--when they are scared they hiss.  I've never had one try to bite me.  They climb up on the dogs cage from time to time and that's when I'll pet their tail.  It wraps around my finger and is surprisingly warm.  Anyway, I like them. :)  I'd be far more scared of a Raccoon.  I would never try to pet one of them in the wild. 

Bryan rescued a baby opossum and while he was out it escaped from his room & somehow was walking around the house.  Keith would not pick up the little hisser and made me do it ;D

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #112 on: July 08, 2012, 04:15:32 PM »

He was vital and wonderful right to the end of his ninety-five years - can't go out better than that!

Danise

« Reply #113 on: July 08, 2012, 04:15:51 PM »

Answer: Any mammal can get rabies. However, the chance of rabies in an opossum is EXTREMELY RARE. This may have something to do with the opossum’s low body temperature (94-97º F) making it difficult for the virus to survive in an opossum’s body.

Raccoons are far more likely to carry rabies then an Opossum.  I've seen plenty of them (opossums) both in the day and the night around here where I live.  They are always cute/ugly.  Love the babies--when they are scared they hiss.  I've never had one try to bite me.  They climb up on the dogs cage from time to time and that's when I'll pet their tail.  It wraps around my finger and is surprisingly warm.  Anyway, I like them. :)  I'd be far more scared of a Raccoon.  I would never try to pet one of them in the wild. 

Bryan rescued a baby opossum and while he was out it escaped from his room & somehow was walking around the house.  Keith would not pick up the little hisser and made me do it ;D
I've had a couple babies over the years but they have to go when they get older.  They turn mean.
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Danise

« Reply #114 on: July 08, 2012, 04:18:19 PM »

To mean to keep but then they don't belong in a house.  They want their freedom.
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

KevinH

« Reply #115 on: July 08, 2012, 04:20:38 PM »

Got it!

And I didn't even know I had Antenna TV.  Thank you, DR KevinH.

You're welcome!

It was a cute episode that took place on a cruise ship.  BK was his usual charming self!

I looked at the credits after the show and thought for sure one of names scrolling by was "William F. Buckley."  I rewound the DVR and saw that the "Producer-Story Consultant" was "William S. Bickley."

KevinH

Jane

« Reply #117 on: July 08, 2012, 04:25:51 PM »

I've had a couple babies over the years but they have to go when they get older.  They turn mean.

This baby started mean which was fine with us.  We didn't want Bryan tempted to keep it.

John G.

« Reply #118 on: July 08, 2012, 04:28:28 PM »

DR Jane (and anyone else), my niece (6) has turned into a big time reader. She is reading the Nancy Drew teen crew books. Daisy Meadows Fairy series. Fancy Nancy chapter book.   It is so cute to watch. She just loves to read!

So far this summer she's been to her library 3 or 4 times. And mine twice (different selections of books). And this is only since she finished school on June 22nd.

I hope she never loses her love of reading and that her little sister will share it.
Good for her. What great adventures lie in store for her.
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #119 on: July 08, 2012, 04:30:41 PM »

Glad that DR Jane and DH Keith are home, safe and sound!

I don't know if I welcomed you back yet or not. So, even if I have, welcome back many times.
― Voltaire
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Up