Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: FOLLIES  (Read 10616 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
FOLLIES
« on: July 10, 2012, 01:35:13 AM »

Well, you've read the notes, the notes spoke of Follies, and now it is time for you to post until the cows come home - they're currently seeing the Cow Follies, a variety show about cud.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re: FOLLIES
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2012, 01:35:52 AM »

And the word of the day is: ECTOPIC!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2012, 01:36:22 AM »

The only time I have ever heard the word "ectopic" was in Rosemary's Baby, spoken by Dr. Saperstein.

Ben

« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2012, 02:43:59 AM »

Morning all.

That is all.

Ben

« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2012, 02:44:17 AM »

« Last Edit: July 10, 2012, 03:25:44 AM by Ben »

Ben

« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2012, 02:46:00 AM »

Right now he's reading

The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society

and loving it even more.

I'll read Guernsey after him. I may have to renew it before I finish. It's due July 21st.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2012, 03:28:02 AM by Ben »

Ben

« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2012, 02:46:17 AM »

The heat has broken and it's now comfortable in Manhattan.

Ben

« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2012, 02:46:31 AM »

And with that, I'm off.

Bye for now.

Danise

« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2012, 03:31:16 AM »

Hi all and good morning!

Vibes for DS Craig that he makes his class today!

To answer your question DR Jane, I wouldn't lose my seniority or vacation/sick time.  I might take a hit in pay but it is also possible that since I'm not even to mid point (thanks to the raise freeze we have suffered this past FIVE years) they may decide to keep me at my current level.  It's possible because the job is just one step/level down from my current position.  I just have to cross my fingers that it happens.

Thank you to everyone who wished me luck. 

Vibes and a wonderful day to everyone!
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Michael

« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2012, 03:47:51 AM »

good morning to all
Never stop dreaming.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2012, 03:55:50 AM »

Good morning, all! I slept poorly and I will most likely fall into a coma at Toyland today. I have to be there early to meet the electrician who is checking all of the circuits in the space. WhilebI am there, I will print a third copy of the Act One full score for DEAREST ENEMY: the first was comletely missing No 4, and yesteday I got an email from David telling me that his second copy is missing the first 39 pages of the opening chorus! The third time is proverbially the charmer, so we'll see!

While i am at Toyland, I need to prepare a list of office vendors and their monthly costs, so we can set them up. In addition, I will call NYU and Columbia about their intern programs, so I can get the office a couple of interns to deal with organizing, proofreading, research, and a lot of mundane tasks. I also need to call Time Warner about Wi-Fi.

I am hoping that today, as well, I can get back to Tekserve to purchase an adaptor for my LaCie external hard drive so I can plug it into my new MacBook.  This depends on when the electrician finishes.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2012, 04:37:13 AM »

Good morning, all.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

vixmom

• Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty
« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2012, 04:44:13 AM »

Right now he's reading

and loving it even more.

I'll read Guernsey after him. I may have to renew it before I finish. It's due July 21st.

I read this a few years ago -  I believe it was recommended to me by the much missed E & T DR td -- I greatly enjoyed it!!!
Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty

It’s weird being the same age as old people

John G.

« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2012, 04:44:32 AM »

TOD:

The list changes with time.

When I was a kid, I played "A Little Night Music" so often I wore out my first copy. The same with  "On the Twentieth Century," which, on vinyl, has my vote for the best sound. A few other candidates that got played quite a lot:

Make a Wish
The Good Companions
Grand Hotel
I Can Get It for You Wholesale
Ragtime, the concept album
Dreamgirls
Nine
Promises, Promises
The first side of Sugar
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2012, 04:45:16 AM »

Right now he's reading

and loving it even more.

I read this a few years ago -  I believe it was recommended to me by the much missed E & T DR td -- I greatly enjoyed it!!!
It's been sitting on my to-read end table for more than two years now. Maybe after graduation ...
― Voltaire

vixmom

« Reply #15 on: July 10, 2012, 04:46:38 AM »

Ii was so exhausted last night -  not exctly sure why that  I was literally falling asleep when I tried to  catchup --

vixmom

« Reply #16 on: July 10, 2012, 04:46:57 AM »

vibes for all I am off to work

John G.

« Reply #17 on: July 10, 2012, 05:06:55 AM »

My two cents on "One More Kiss": The show's fans know the history of its not having been included on the original vinyl album. With  the release of the CD and the song's inclusion, it was presented in order with, as I recall, a footnote about the aural quality. To make yours different, I would include it at the end with a similar footnote, because as you state on the cover, this is the remixed and remastered recording, but "One More Kiss" won't be.   
― Voltaire

ChasSmith

« Reply #18 on: July 10, 2012, 05:40:06 AM »

Good morning, all.  Sucking up the coffee here.

TOD is a great one, and I'll have to browse my shelves later to answer as completely and accurately as I'd want to.

ChasSmith

« Reply #19 on: July 10, 2012, 05:54:07 AM »

Late last night I knew I would fall asleep watching something, but I definitely wanted to have something on, so I chose a Midnite Movies DVD for which I'd never seen the movies at all:

COUNT YORGA, VAMPIRE and RETURN OF COUNT YORGA.

I had no idea what to expect, and what I got seemed in my drowsy state like something fairly unusual in terms of pacing and atmosphere.  I was delighted to see a few 1970 L.A. location shots, but dozed through the last half of the first, then dutifully got up and turned the flipper disc over and started the second, and missed even more of that one.  But little bits of them would work their way into dreams, so the whole thing was rather surreal, and the second film seemed to go on forever.  I even checked the running time to see if it hadn't actually lasted three or four hours.  So, a bizarre night on the TV couch.  It'll be interesting to watch these in the cold light of day to see what the heck actually goes on.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #20 on: July 10, 2012, 05:55:26 AM »

Greetings from Toyland!
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #21 on: July 10, 2012, 06:28:46 AM »

TOD:

I would have to echo DR John G. and say that the original A LITTLE NIGHT MUSIC is still, after all these years, my favorite recording.  Not only because it was my first Sondheim OCR, but because of the sheer (for lack of a better word) intelligence of the score.  The interplay throughout between the surprising and humorous rhymes and rhythms of the lyrics and the waltz variations that vary from playful to challenging demand that you pay attention and experience every number.  Like listening to Mozart, I feel smarter after listenting to this recording.

Aurally, it's I think it's just about perfect (though I think "Now/Soon/Later" and the ending of "A Weekend In The Country" are a bit muddy.)  I'm not crazy about the extended "Night Waltz" on the CD rerelease--the mid section sounds like they just looped through twice--there's no variation.  But I do love the inclusion of Night Waltz II--it's one of my favorite parts of the recording now.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #22 on: July 10, 2012, 06:30:12 AM »

My two cents on "One More Kiss": The show's fans know the history of its not having been included on the original vinyl album. With  the release of the CD and the song's inclusion, it was presented in order with, as I recall, a footnote about the aural quality. To make yours different, I would include it at the end with a similar footnote, because as you state on the cover, this is the remixed and remastered recording, but "One More Kiss" won't be.  

Or maybe have Dame Edna come in and record a new version. :)
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

John G.

« Reply #23 on: July 10, 2012, 06:41:27 AM »

TOD:

I would have to echo DR John G. and say that the original A LITTLE NIGHT MUSIC is still, after all these years, my favorite recording.  Not only because it was my first Sondheim OCR, but because of the sheer (for lack of a better word) intelligence of the score.  The interplay throughout between the surprising and humorous rhymes and rhythms of the lyrics and the waltz variations that vary from playful to challenging demand that you pay attention and experience every number.  Like listening to Mozart, I feel smarter after listenting to this recording.

Aurally, it's I think it's just about perfect (though I think "Now/Soon/Later" and the ending of "A Weekend In The Country" are a bit muddy.)  I'm not crazy about the extended "Night Waltz" on the CD rerelease--the mid section sounds like they just looped through twice--there's no variation.  But I do love the inclusion of Night Waltz II--it's one of my favorite parts of the recording now.

I agree about the extended "Night Waltz" on CD.
― Voltaire

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #24 on: July 10, 2012, 07:28:22 AM »

TOD:

The first recording that popped into me head as the best sounding one was the Houston Grand Opera PORGY & BESS we talked about last week.  But since that's technically an opera recording, I'll go with AIN'T MISBEHAVIN'. 
-- Anaïs Nin

Ginny

« Reply #25 on: July 10, 2012, 07:29:41 AM »

Tuesday morning greetings!  We were able to turn off the AC and open the windows last night - nice for sleeping.  The AC is back on now, but the fresh air was nice while it lasted.  I'm on my way upstairs to get the guest room and bath ready for my sister, who is on her way from Michigan.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Kerry

« Reply #26 on: July 10, 2012, 07:32:42 AM »

Anthony loved

The Art of Racing in the Rain
Glad to hear it. A friend of mine recommended it to me a couple of years ago, and I bought it.  Alas it has been sitting on my shelf since then.  I just noticed it the other day, so I guess it's time to pull it down and actually read it.
I like boat races.

Kerry

« Reply #27 on: July 10, 2012, 07:34:28 AM »

Or maybe have Dame Edna come in and record a new version. :)

I can almost hear it now!
I like boat races.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #28 on: July 10, 2012, 07:35:06 AM »

Whew!  Got the photos uploaded to the CURIOUS SAVAGE album....some of them good, some of them not. 

Last Dress Rehearsal was okay.....  Everyone looked good.  Tonight is family picture night - the family and friends of the cast can come to watch a dress rehearsal and take photos.

It's good to have an audience of some kind to hear some laughs and response.....
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #29 on: July 10, 2012, 07:35:41 AM »

All these cd's at once!!!  And this is my POOR season.....hope I can keep up!
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Up