Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: FOLLIES  (Read 10617 times)

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
Re: FOLLIES
« Reply #30 on: July 10, 2012, 07:37:48 AM »

Whew!  Got the photos uploaded to the CURIOUS SAVAGE album....some of them good, some of them not. 

Last Dress Rehearsal was okay.....  Everyone looked good.  Tonight is family picture night - the family and friends of the cast can come to watch a dress rehearsal and take photos.

It's good to have an audience of some kind to hear some laughs and response.....

Break a leg vibes.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #31 on: July 10, 2012, 07:37:59 AM »

Two!
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #32 on: July 10, 2012, 07:38:40 AM »

I got my copy of the ONE MAN TWO GUVNERS cast album today!  Thanks to DR ELMORE for mentioning it last week, I didn't know such a thing existed.  I did get the British recording...although I guess an American one is also available, but without a lot of the British musicians.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #33 on: July 10, 2012, 07:38:58 AM »

Thanks DR JOHN G.  I have done what I can do.

Druxy

• druxmanworks.com
« Reply #34 on: July 10, 2012, 07:42:32 AM »

Late last night I knew I would fall asleep watching something, but I definitely wanted to have something on, so I chose a Midnite Movies DVD for which I'd never seen the movies at all:

COUNT YORGA, VAMPIRE and RETURN OF COUNT YORGA.

I had no idea what to expect, and what I got seemed in my drowsy state like something fairly unusual in terms of pacing and atmosphere.  I was delighted to see a few 1970 L.A. location shots, but dozed through the last half of the first, then dutifully got up and turned the flipper disc over and started the second, and missed even more of that one.  But little bits of them would work their way into dreams, so the whole thing was rather surreal, and the second film seemed to go on forever.  I even checked the running time to see if it hadn't actually lasted three or four hours.  So, a bizarre night on the TV couch.  It'll be interesting to watch these in the cold light of day to see what the heck actually goes on.

I recall seeing Robert Quarry (Count Yorga) playing Petruchio in a Long Beach community theatre production of THE TAMING OF THE SHREW back in 1964-65.   Who knew?
You can dream…or you can do.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #35 on: July 10, 2012, 07:44:46 AM »

Although I did do one final thing last night.  One actor who is an irritant......full of suggestions for others.... interrupted my notes last night to ask a question.

In case you don't know the play - the last few moments of the play, the residents of the Cloisters go into a dream state....Jeffrey is playing the piano, Hannibal (the said actor) plays the violin after screeching the strings all through the play, a plain girl wears a beautiful dress, a mother who lost her child is embracing a real live child, and a woman who paints straight lines is painting a beautiful seascape.

Hannibal has the last line:  "Here is your song"  after which he scratches on the violin, there is a light change, and he joins Jeffrey who is already playing the piano.

Hannibal puts some tape over his strings - and he said last night:  "Can I have just a smidgen more time....I need to get the tape on the strings...."   Well he has never disguised it....even though the lights are down, the audience can see that he is doing something....and he always misses his cue anyway....so....I said:  "No.  I tell you what.  You have the tape on the violin when you come out.  You say the line and then we will do the light change.  No scratching on the strings at the end....."

I told the light operator, lights change when he says the line.....no extra music.  So he lost a bit of business for being a pain in the ass for the last six weeks.

Druxy

• druxmanworks.com
« Reply #36 on: July 10, 2012, 07:44:47 AM »

TOD:

I really like RAGTIME and LES MISERABLES.

Also, most of the Lerner & Lowe musicals, MACK & MABEL...and THE PEOPLE IN THE PICTURE.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2012, 09:33:06 AM by Druxy »
You can dream…or you can do.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #37 on: July 10, 2012, 07:45:48 AM »

HA!

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #38 on: July 10, 2012, 07:46:51 AM »

TOD:

Not yet sure on what I think is the worst sounding recording.

As much as I love listening to PIPPIN, I wish the score had been recorded as it was presented on stage.  I don't know if it was Motown or Phil Romone or Stephen Schwartz deciding to remove any sense of Fosse's staging but the OCR is not half as fun as it could have been.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaďs Nin

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #39 on: July 10, 2012, 07:47:40 AM »

I shall have to think about the TOD.

I certainly enjoyed the West Side Story OBC many times.....

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #40 on: July 10, 2012, 07:48:02 AM »

TOD:

Not yet sure on what I think is the worst sounding recording.

As much as I love listening to PIPPIN, I wish the score had been recorded as it was presented on stage.  I don't know if it was Motown or Phil Romone or Stephen Schwartz deciding to remove any sense of Fosse's staging but the OCR is not half as fun as it could have been.

So true!

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #41 on: July 10, 2012, 07:55:39 AM »

Danise, best of luck with all that is going on at work.  I hope that whatever happens, it turns out to be the very best thing for you!
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

John G.

« Reply #42 on: July 10, 2012, 08:06:42 AM »

Danise, best of luck with all that is going on at work.  I hope that whatever happens, it turns out to be the very best thing for you!
Double dose of vibes.
― Voltaire

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #43 on: July 10, 2012, 08:16:46 AM »

I got my copy of the ONE MAN TWO GUVNERS cast album today!  Thanks to DR ELMORE for mentioning it last week, I didn't know such a thing existed.  I did get the British recording...although I guess an American one is also available, but without a lot of the British musicians.

DR JRand61, you might be right, but I believe the published script, as well as the recording, are the National Theatre British materials with new covers. I also can't tell if the show is closing on Sept 2 or if that's the date when the National Theatre players go back to London and, if the show continues, it's with American replacements.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #44 on: July 10, 2012, 08:18:17 AM »

My office has illumination again, and the electrician has left. I've printed the new full score so I can go to Kinko's and have it bound. Excellent!
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

John G.

« Reply #45 on: July 10, 2012, 08:21:05 AM »

Because we didn't exhaust the opossum mania from the other day and because they are now in the news:

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/sideshow/opossum-protein-makes-them-immune-nearly-poisons-could-190604532.html
― Voltaire

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #46 on: July 10, 2012, 08:33:16 AM »

DR JRand61, you might be right, but I believe the published script, as well as the recording, are the National Theatre British materials with new covers. I also can't tell if the show is closing on Sept 2 or if that's the date when the National Theatre players go back to London and, if the show continues, it's with American replacements.

Me either! 

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #47 on: July 10, 2012, 08:49:30 AM »

TOD:

It's a tough call, because there are many Broadway score recordings I've listened to multiple times, but it's "A Little Night Music" for me, too.  A close second might be "Dear World".  Then "Mack and Mabel", "Sweeney Todd", "Mame", "The Music Man", "Into the Woods" and "Follies."  "I Do, I Do" is also a runnerup.

I find the London cast recording of "A Little Night Music" a more revelatory listen as far as orchestrations go.  There is so much exquisite detail that comes through my speakers.  Sadly, I cannot listen to it often because of the mostly lackluster vocal performances of the leads.  Jean Simmons would have been perfectly fine had she had a better vocal co-star than Joss Ackland.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2012, 09:04:05 AM by Ron Pulliam »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #48 on: July 10, 2012, 08:54:32 AM »

I have an odd "Rosemary's Baby" story for you, Bruce:

When I saw this film in the theater I was totally engrossed.  Unhappily, the ill-advised soda I bought upon entering the theater finally worked itself into my bladder and forced me to leave the theater for a relief break.  Late in the film, Rosemary and Roman were having a confrontation with Rosemary not wanting to believe what he was saying:  "You're in Dubrovnik, I can't hear you," she declared!  I puzzled this over for a very long time.  I couldn't understand what she meant about him being "in Dubrovnik."  For some reason, I imagined "Dubrovnik" must have been some evil curse of some kind.

I had never heard of Dubrovnik, you see, and the scene I had missed was the one in which he and Minnie pretended to be leaving on a trip to visit Dubrovnik.

For many years, thereafter, any time anyone said something to me that did not make any sense, I'd think "You're in Dubrovnik.  I can't hear you."  Once I finally saw "Rosemary's Baby" on home video, the problem was solved.  The light bulb was lit.  And the fun was, seemingly, done.

Still...I do get a kick out of thinking "You're in Dubrovnik.  I can't hear you" any time someone blathers on and on about something that doesn't interest me.

« Last Edit: July 10, 2012, 09:00:50 AM by Ron Pulliam »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #49 on: July 10, 2012, 08:58:08 AM »

Because we didn't exhaust the opossum mania from the other day and because they are now in the news:

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/sideshow/opossum-protein-makes-them-immune-nearly-poisons-could-190604532.html

Anyone here want to volunteer for the "unofficial" human testing?

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #50 on: July 10, 2012, 09:07:59 AM »

If anyone here has "thought about" buying "Those Magnificent Men in their Flying Machines (Or, How I Flew from London to Paris in 25 hours and 11 Minutes)" on Bolu ray disc, I can assure you it is worth every penny of its $29.95 cost.

The Blu ray is spectacular.  I know it didn't look this good when I saw a CinemaScope print in the theater during December 1965 (I actually saw it about five times that December).  This transfer was done from a 65mm negative, if I read the specs correctly.  It's absolutely stunning.  Great depth.

One obvious tank scene involves Gert Frobe dangling from his plane over the English Channel.  The blue sky is most noticeably a painted tank siding.  Never noticed that before on DVD or laserdisc.

It's a stunning film with a great Ron Goodwin score that is alternately heaps of fun and soaring magnificence.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #51 on: July 10, 2012, 09:20:23 AM »

All these cd's at once!!!  And this is my POOR season.....hope I can keep up!

But you will be rolling in dough at the end of October!
“One thing’s universal,

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #52 on: July 10, 2012, 09:24:18 AM »

Although I did do one final thing last night.  One actor who is an irritant......full of suggestions for others.... interrupted my notes last night to ask a question.

In case you don't know the play - the last few moments of the play, the residents of the Cloisters go into a dream state....Jeffrey is playing the piano, Hannibal (the said actor) plays the violin after screeching the strings all through the play, a plain girl wears a beautiful dress, a mother who lost her child is embracing a real live child, and a woman who paints straight lines is painting a beautiful seascape.

Hannibal has the last line:  "Here is your song"  after which he scratches on the violin, there is a light change, and he joins Jeffrey who is already playing the piano.

Hannibal puts some tape over his strings - and he said last night:  "Can I have just a smidgen more time....I need to get the tape on the strings...."   Well he has never disguised it....even though the lights are down, the audience can see that he is doing something....and he always misses his cue anyway....so....I said:  "No.  I tell you what.  You have the tape on the violin when you come out.  You say the line and then we will do the light change.  No scratching on the strings at the end....."

I told the light operator, lights change when he says the line.....no extra music.  So he lost a bit of business for being a pain in the ass for the last six weeks.

No Spoiler Alert?
“One thing’s universal,

Ginny

« Reply #53 on: July 10, 2012, 09:24:20 AM »

Double dose of vibes.

Ditto!

In a period of 4 years, Richard and I made 3 moves/decisions that each had a negative impact on our income.  Each time, we gained something that was more important than the money we were giving up.  That was 25 years ago, give or take, and we've survived without having to become Walmart greeters in our retirement!
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

ChasSmith

« Reply #54 on: July 10, 2012, 09:28:41 AM »

I have the "Magnificent Men" Blu-ray and it looks truly splendid.  I was going to enjoy a straight-through viewing tonight, but that might have to be postponed.

No idea which print I saw when it came out, and I believe I only saw it once.  I'm pretty sure I know which theater, so maybe I'll find a newspaper ad that will tell me.  I'm kind of a nut about recalling movies and theaters anyway, and it would just be fun to know.

Ginny

« Reply #55 on: July 10, 2012, 09:29:28 AM »

I have the guest room and upstairs bathroom ready for my sister.  Each time I work up there I rediscover the great space we're not using for everyday living.  There are 2 big rooms and a full bath - wish we could move them to NYC to use as a pied-a-terre!
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #56 on: July 10, 2012, 09:30:48 AM »

If these scientists knew that the Lethal Toxin-Neutralizing Factor (LTNF) worked well enough to give it a name, why did they wait to break the news?
“One thing’s universal,

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #57 on: July 10, 2012, 09:42:08 AM »

If these scientists knew that the Lethal Toxin-Neutralizing Factor (LTNF) worked well enough to give it a name, why did they wait to break the news?

They didn't want to be accused of premature expostulation!

Also, there's little interest in LTNF giving rats immunity to poisions unless they felt certain it might work in humans, too.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2012, 09:43:50 AM by Ron Pulliam »

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #58 on: July 10, 2012, 09:44:17 AM »

Sad to say, if LTNF works for humans, possum pie might be a delicacy that goes away.

John G.

« Reply #59 on: July 10, 2012, 09:46:57 AM »

Mmmm. Possum pie!
― Voltaire
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Up