Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: FOLLIES  (Read 10737 times)

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
Re: FOLLIES
« Reply #90 on: July 10, 2012, 01:03:43 PM »

Four!
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #91 on: July 10, 2012, 01:15:41 PM »

Four plus one.
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #92 on: July 10, 2012, 01:37:09 PM »

My favorite actor, Peter O'Toole, has announced his retirement from acting.
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #93 on: July 10, 2012, 01:37:26 PM »

Four, plus four.

Doug R

« Reply #94 on: July 10, 2012, 01:46:59 PM »

I enjoyed "Those Magnificent Men in their Flying Machines."  Just don't make me sit thru a double feature where it is paired with "Those Daring Young Men in Their Jaunty Jalopies."  I didn't like that one at all.

I can't remember if I even saw that one.  I just checked to see when it was released, and it wasn't till 1969, four years later.  I'd thought it wasn't long after "Magnificent Men".

Also "Magnificent Men" was released in June 1965 and "The Great Race" in July, and I'd been thinking of "The Great Race" as the film that kind of inspired the other one.  Crazy, man.

I saw both "Magnificent Men" and The Great Race" when they first opened. I enjoyed both but prefered "Great Race". The humour in "Magnificent Men" was too broad and slapstick for me and I find it quite tedious to watch now. I liked the film references throughout "Great Race" which also had, IMO the better cast.

ChasSmith

« Reply #95 on: July 10, 2012, 02:00:21 PM »

Oh, what potentially GREAT NEWS from Capitol!!

ChasSmith

« Reply #96 on: July 10, 2012, 02:01:04 PM »

Every time somebody posted Ronald Searle up there, I thought it was Humphrey Searle.  But now I know who you mean.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #97 on: July 10, 2012, 02:01:11 PM »

I enjoyed "Those Magnificent Men in their Flying Machines."  Just don't make me sit thru a double feature where it is paired with "Those Daring Young Men in Their Jaunty Jalopies."  I didn't like that one at all.

I can't remember if I even saw that one.  I just checked to see when it was released, and it wasn't till 1969, four years later.  I'd thought it wasn't long after "Magnificent Men".

Also "Magnificent Men" was released in June 1965 and "The Great Race" in July, and I'd been thinking of "The Great Race" as the film that kind of inspired the other one.  Crazy, man.

I saw both "Magnificent Men" and The Great Race" when they first opened. I enjoyed both but prefered "Great Race". The humour in "Magnificent Men" was too broad and slapstick for me and I find it quite tedious to watch now. I liked the film references throughout "Great Race" which also had, IMO the better cast.

Exactly my thoughts in reverse.  I have always found "The Great Race" pretty much of a bloat with Lemmon overdoing it and Curtis and Wood unable to sustain my interest.  The casting for "Those Magnificent Men.." wasn't "Hollywood" casting but had some of the finest character actors alive giving it their all.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #98 on: July 10, 2012, 02:02:36 PM »

Oh, what potentially GREAT NEWS from Capitol!!

Yes, all my fingers are crossed!!!

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #99 on: July 10, 2012, 02:03:36 PM »

DR George I hope this years keynote speaker isn't getting paid to speak. 

Jane

« Reply #100 on: July 10, 2012, 02:05:24 PM »

Anthony loved

The Art of Racing in the Rain

I didn't expect to like it and am pleased to say I liked it very much.  I didn't love it like everyone else.

Jane

« Reply #101 on: July 10, 2012, 02:05:56 PM »

Right now he's reading

The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society

and loving it even more.

I'll read Guernsey after him. I may have to renew it before I finish. It's due July 21st.

Now this I did love and highly recommended it to everyone.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #102 on: July 10, 2012, 02:07:54 PM »

http://shop.usitt.org/Books_c_1.html

A new book of designs by Tony Walton!
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Jane

« Reply #103 on: July 10, 2012, 02:07:56 PM »

Vibes for DS Craig that he makes his class today!

To answer your question DR Jane, I wouldn't lose my seniority or vacation/sick time.  I might take a hit in pay but it is also possible that since I'm not even to mid point (thanks to the raise freeze we have suffered this past FIVE years) they may decide to keep me at my current level.  It's possible because the job is just one step/level down from my current position.  I just have to cross my fingers that it happens.

Thank you and

BEST OF LUCK AND VIBES FOR THE POSITION AND KEEPING YOUR SALARY!!!!

Jane

« Reply #104 on: July 10, 2012, 02:09:46 PM »

Right now he's reading

The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society

and loving it even more.

I'll read Guernsey after him. I may have to renew it before I finish. It's due July 21st.

I read this a few years ago -  I believe it was recommended to me by the much missed E & T DR td -- I greatly enjoyed it!!!

And by me. ;)

Jane

« Reply #105 on: July 10, 2012, 02:11:48 PM »

So he lost a bit of business for being a pain in the ass for the last six weeks.

;D

Jane

« Reply #106 on: July 10, 2012, 02:12:16 PM »

My office has illumination again, and the electrician has left. I've printed the new full score so I can go to Kinko's and have it bound. Excellent!

:)

Jane

« Reply #107 on: July 10, 2012, 02:12:53 PM »

Because we didn't exhaust the opossum mania from the other day and because they are now in the news:

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/sideshow/opossum-protein-makes-them-immune-nearly-poisons-could-190604532.html

Anyone here want to volunteer for the "unofficial" human testing?

;)  I won't even open the story.

Jane

« Reply #108 on: July 10, 2012, 02:15:56 PM »

Busying myself on the computer I completely forgot that I'd left a saucepan on the stove. Ignoring the strange smell I carried on working until I finally looked in the kitchen to find it had boiled dry. Annoyingly, I'd only bought the saucepan last week which is now ruined. 

How frustrating.

Jane

« Reply #109 on: July 10, 2012, 02:16:20 PM »

My sister has arrived safely from Michigan.  Please excuse me in advance for being E & T for much of the next 3 days while we play!
Have fun.

DITTO!

Jane

« Reply #110 on: July 10, 2012, 02:16:55 PM »

Potential great news: Capitol thinks they found One More Kiss. A single small one inch tape. Mislabeled as a soundtrack. If its the eight track we are home free. Won't know till later or tomorrow

GOOD VIBES!!!

Jane

« Reply #111 on: July 10, 2012, 02:46:23 PM »

DR's Druxy, John G, & George, thanks for the additional vibes.

Craig called AFTER class today  :) 

He was able to begin the 8:30-3:30, 3 times a week class in the morning and register during the break.  The school is a very convenient 15 minutes, by public transportation, from the house he is staying at.

After our conversation he was headed for a coffee shop for something to eat and to see if he could access his school link and download his work.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #112 on: July 10, 2012, 02:54:46 PM »

He was able to begin the 8:30-3:30, 3 times a week class in the morning and register during the break.  The school is a very convenient 15 minutes, by public transportation, from the house he is staying at.

After our conversation he was headed for a coffee shop for something to eat and to see if he could access his school link and download his work.

Very good news!
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Jane

« Reply #113 on: July 10, 2012, 02:58:08 PM »

Today my book group discussed REMARKABLE CREATURES by Tracy Chevalier (Girl With the Pearl Earring).  We all enjoyed the book very much.  Our only complaint about the book was that it didn't included drawings of the remarkable creatures.  The woman who hosted the meeting found them in a children's book.

This is an historical, science novel which takes place during Jane Austen's time.

Jane

« Reply #114 on: July 10, 2012, 03:02:25 PM »

Very good news!

:)

Monday he has his orientation with Johns Hopkins at the Columbia campus.  He said the community college that offers one of the other co-requisite classes, without the need for a prerequisite, is nearby.  He will go in person to sign up for that class so any problems can be addressed on-site.  If that works out he will only have three more co-requisite classes to take vs four.

Jane

« Reply #115 on: July 10, 2012, 03:04:05 PM »

Only, as if it isn't a big deal on top of the regular courses and working, plus a dog that needs tons of attention.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #116 on: July 10, 2012, 03:23:00 PM »

Tack.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #117 on: July 10, 2012, 03:23:05 PM »

Bra.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #118 on: July 10, 2012, 03:23:10 PM »

Puss puss.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #119 on: July 10, 2012, 03:23:39 PM »

I've written three blurbs, had huevos rancheros, and picked up one little package (I think there will be more later).
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Up