« Reply #120 on: August 23, 2012, 11:10:25 AM »

Page Five!
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

Doug R

Re: HOME
« Reply #121 on: August 23, 2012, 11:31:13 AM »

TOD:

I'd take the patented haineshisway.com Time Machine back to my local cinema (below) which I loved and where I spent a vast amount of time. I still have diaries in which I've written down which film I saw on specific dates. I think I'd go back to 1956 to see "Forbidden Planet" which at the time was the most amazing film I'd seen.

MBarnum

« Reply #122 on: August 23, 2012, 11:34:21 AM »

Love the photo of the old cinema, DR DougR! Does it still exist?

ChasSmith

« Reply #123 on: August 23, 2012, 11:38:59 AM »

I envy your having kept those diaries, DR Doug R.

I have sporadic notes from just a couple years in the 1970s, which I was elated to rediscover a few years ago.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #124 on: August 23, 2012, 11:39:46 AM »

Oh...

Colony Music is closing next month.

*I know a lot of people who are already lamenting the closing, but... I have to wonder if they would have been more profitable if they had not continuously marked up and over-priced their merchandise. Those practices drove away many a non-casual music buyer such as myself early on.

That's where I bought the original London cast recordings of Children of Eden and 1776.  When I got back home after the trip (remember, this was 1995), NO ONE that I knew who knew musicals had ever heard of Children of Eden.

I don't remember how much COE cost, but I actually paid $70 for 1776.

At the time, it was definitely worth it. :D
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
« Reply #125 on: August 23, 2012, 11:40:27 AM »

Here was the Vogue back in the day. The sign has been refurbished, but the space is now used for retail.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

MBarnum

« Reply #126 on: August 23, 2012, 11:41:13 AM »

I would enjoy going back to any of the matinee's I went to as a kid, just to see how I managed to corral my little  brother and our friends Teresa and Shannon and keep us all in line when my mom would drop us off while she went shopping. I was only in first of second grade at the time.

The photo above shows the theater (The Craterian), if you look closely. It is right next to the cafe, and you can see that they were showing a fine double feature that day.

John G.

« Reply #127 on: August 23, 2012, 11:42:18 AM »

Oh...

Colony Music is closing next month.

*I know a lot of people who are already lamenting the closing, but... I have to wonder if they would have been more profitable if they had not continuously marked up and over-priced their merchandise. Those practices drove away many a non-casual music buyer such as myself early on.

That's where I bought the original London cast recordings of Children of Eden and 1776.  When I got back home after the trip (remember, this was 1995), NO ONE that I knew who knew musicals had ever heard of Children of Eden.

I don't remember how much COE cost, but I actually paid $70 for 1776.

At the time, it was definitely worth it. :D

I remember seeing a pirated copy of Comden and Green's (and Morton Gould's) Bonanza Bound on vinyl there for $25 (back in the early 1980s) and thinking that was way beyond my budget. I wish I had that recording today. I've never seen it on CD.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

ChasSmith

« Reply #128 on: August 23, 2012, 11:46:12 AM »

haineshisway.com Time Machine, take me here...

Matthew

• You there, why are you so late?
« Reply #129 on: August 23, 2012, 11:50:18 AM »

Also would like to hear some highlights and lowlights of DR Matthew's visit to Disney in Orlando.

DR ChasSmith - I'll get around to it soon :)

Matthew

« Reply #130 on: August 23, 2012, 11:57:37 AM »

And I guess I should attack the this "Keyboard Patch Solutions" thing today. 

~~~~~ATTACK VIBES TO DR MATTHEW~~~~~

Tell us more, DR Matthew.

Because of the electronic component to a LOT of new musicals, sometimes keyboard programming can be difficult, especially when trying to emulate the sounds the orchestrator wanted.  So now we have a service called "Keyboard Patch Solutions" which does all of that for you.  Just hook up your keyboard to your computer and using the software they send you, BINGO, you have the sounds you need.  It's rather inexpensive if I should say so myself.  It's my first time using this service, so we'll see how it goes.  There is room for customization, I just need to figure it out.  But, in the end, it has saved me and my other keyboard player a LOT of hours of programming. 

Matthew

« Reply #131 on: August 23, 2012, 12:04:08 PM »

I've listened to two -- count them -- two recordings of Camelot today.   Original London and Broadway.  Have no clue what brought this on!

ChasSmith

« Reply #132 on: August 23, 2012, 12:06:27 PM »

And I guess I should attack the this "Keyboard Patch Solutions" thing today. 

~~~~~ATTACK VIBES TO DR MATTHEW~~~~~

Tell us more, DR Matthew.

Because of the electronic component to a LOT of new musicals, sometimes keyboard programming can be difficult, especially when trying to emulate the sounds the orchestrator wanted.  So now we have a service called "Keyboard Patch Solutions" which does all of that for you.  Just hook up your keyboard to your computer and using the software they send you, BINGO, you have the sounds you need.  It's rather inexpensive if I should say so myself.  It's my first time using this service, so we'll see how it goes.  There is room for customization, I just need to figure it out.  But, in the end, it has saved me and my other keyboard player a LOT of hours of programming. 

Ah, got it, thanks!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #133 on: August 23, 2012, 12:17:45 PM »

I shall shortly be on my way to a lunch meeting.

DR Iris

« Reply #134 on: August 23, 2012, 12:44:34 PM »

Happy birthday, TCB!

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #135 on: August 23, 2012, 01:05:48 PM »

Well, this is pretty cool...and about time:  Recording Academy makes digital liner notes push.

NEW YORK — As liner notes get scarce in the digital age, the Recording Academy wants fans to still be able to find out who the people are behind their favorite hit.

So the Academy announced Thursday that it will launch the "Give Fans the Credit" campaign, which plans to give music listeners more information on the people behind the creation of a song, aside from the song's main performer.

Academy President and CEO Neil Portnow said in a statement that music fans are getting less information on songs today because of digital platforms, which tend to only offer a song's title and performer. But the Academy wants be sure fans are getting liner notes for albums, and that songwriters, non-featured performers, producers and engineers are highlighted for their work.

"We can watch movies online with the credits included, and the same should be true for digitally released recordings," Portnow's statement reads. "If music devices can access millions of tracks in the cloud, we're confident we can find a way to acknowledge those who created the tracks here on earth."

The initiative will feature "honorary ambassadors" who will help facilitate the discussion, including T Bone Burnett, music producer RedOne, Jimmy Jam, Sheila E, songwriter Lamont Dozier and producer Don Was. The Academy's news release said the ambassadors plan to meet with digital music outlets "to brainstorm ways to deliver more robust crediting information on digital music platforms."

That's what I've always disliked most about downloaded music...no liner notes/digital booklets.
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Doug R

« Reply #136 on: August 23, 2012, 01:21:48 PM »

Love the photo of the old cinema, DR DougR! Does it still exist?

Sadly no. It was demolished and replaced by a supermarket.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #137 on: August 23, 2012, 01:33:01 PM »

The Ritz in Mooresville is now the office of the local newspaper.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #138 on: August 23, 2012, 01:33:21 PM »

Off to rehearsal.....All of Act One and half of Act Two.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #139 on: August 23, 2012, 01:37:33 PM »

From DR Cilla:
Thanks Ginny.  It's disconcerting to me that women's heart attack symptoms are so much more vague than men's symptoms are. 

Yes.  I have so many of those symptoms on a regular basis I can only hope if I have a heart attack I become unusually hot, something I rarely do.

Jane

« Reply #140 on: August 23, 2012, 01:40:49 PM »

DR TCB,

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #141 on: August 23, 2012, 01:46:03 PM »

Here is Kim Criswell recording "Where The Hudson River Flows!" You can see the chorus in the background.

Greetings from Manhattan. I am home and will now catch up.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2012, 02:05:36 PM by elmore3003 »
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #142 on: August 23, 2012, 01:46:42 PM »

Big photo! Sorry.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

John G.

« Reply #143 on: August 23, 2012, 01:52:25 PM »

I love that song. Can't wait to hear her sing it.
― Voltaire

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #144 on: August 23, 2012, 01:59:43 PM »

Here are our trumpets and trombone. They were great!

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #145 on: August 23, 2012, 02:00:14 PM »

More to follow!

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #146 on: August 23, 2012, 02:06:52 PM »

This is the Act Two Finale. I am on the floor with my back to the camera.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2012, 02:08:37 PM by elmore3003 »

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #147 on: August 23, 2012, 02:11:35 PM »

With our actor Karl Harpur, who plays several roles. Karl was a lucky find on EILEEN last year, and he's heading to LA to look for work.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2012, 02:18:14 PM by elmore3003 »

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #148 on: August 23, 2012, 02:15:05 PM »

Great photos Elmore and DougR...

Thanks for sharing!

Mischief is where you are old enough to know better but young enough to try!~~ DakotaCelt, 2004
If a man loses something and he goes back and looks carefully, he will find it ~~ Sitting Bull
Noodles Grow... Meat Shrinks... Oh the beauty of cooking!
"Humility is probably the most difficult virtue to realize." --Thomas Yellowtail, CROW
Continue to contaminate your bed, and you will one night suffocate in your own waste. ~~ Chief Seattle, 1854

Jane

« Reply #149 on: August 23, 2012, 02:16:49 PM »

DR MBarnum, I'm sorry about Jeffrey Stone (aka John Fontaine).
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8   Go Up