Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10   Go Down

Author Topic: THE INVASION OF THE FALLING ORANGE BALLS  (Read 38349 times)

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
Re: THE INVASION OF THE FALLING ORANGE BALLS
« Reply #30 on: September 05, 2012, 08:31:28 AM »

Two!
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #31 on: September 05, 2012, 08:33:43 AM »

This was big news many years ago. I don't remember it, but my sister was in Miss Sherri's Romper Room class.

http://www.azfamily.com/news/local/Phoenix-woman-says-drug-manufacturers-apology-is-50-years-overdue-168570266.html
Very sad story.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

ChasSmith

« Reply #32 on: September 05, 2012, 09:19:32 AM »

Reply #32?

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #33 on: September 05, 2012, 09:21:11 AM »

I'm up.  It's gray out and it looks like it drizzled at some point.  Maybe it will stay this way for a while and we'll cool down a bit. 

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #34 on: September 05, 2012, 09:21:58 AM »

I awoke to a text saying breakfast meeting has to be rescheduled.  I probably could have made an earlier haircut appointment but I'll leave it as is and do errands and whatnot before I go.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #35 on: September 05, 2012, 09:22:43 AM »

I think there are a lot of musicals that would work for TV - both off-B'way and on.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #36 on: September 05, 2012, 10:02:35 AM »

Enhanced text comes and goes for me.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

FJL

« Reply #37 on: September 05, 2012, 10:45:46 AM »

Albert Marre has passed away.  While I really knew Albie at first because of his wife, the wonderful actress and lyricist Mimi Turque, Albie was always very very nice and welcoming, never anything other than extremely warm,. although he was suffering from an illness for a while as is mentioned in this Playbill obituary. 

Skip and I last saw Albie and Mimi  in mid-June on a lovely evening at their home, also with Bruce Pomahac (elmore's friend), Anita Gillette and Nancy Ford. 

Here's the Playbill obituary:

http://www.playbill.com/news/article/169711-Albert-Marre-Director-of-Man-of-La-Mancha-Dies-at-86-

Albert Marre, Director of Man of La Mancha, Dies at 86

By Robert Simonson
September 5, 2012

Albert Marre, the director of the original production of Man of La Mancha, died Sept. 4 at Mr. Sinai Hospital in Manhattan, following a long illness. He was 86.

Mr. Marre accumulated a host of directing credits over his long career, including the original productions of the musical Kismet, and Jerry Herman's first Broadway show, Milk and Honey. But it was Man of La Mancha, a tuneful telling of "Don Quixote," that came to define his career. He directed the New York premiere, which began far Off-Broadway at the ANTA Washington Square Theatre, in 1965, and eventually moved to three different Broadway theatres, before it closed in 1972. He won a Tony Award as Best Director of a Musical for his work. (The Tonys then considered the ANTA a Broadway house.) He then went to direct three Broadway revivals of the show, in 1972, 1977 and 1992, and numerous national and international productions.

The show began as a television drama called "I, Don Quixote," written by playwright Dale Wasserman. It was Mr. Marre who suggested the show be turned into a musical. Wasserman fashioned a story in which Cervantes, waiting in a prison cell to be tried by the Spanish Inquisition, tells his fellow inmates the story of Don Quixote. The show's simple storytelling and idealistic, yet charmingly foolish hero struck a chord with audiences, rendering the show an oft-revived classic, and transforming its central song, "The Impossible Dream," into a musical theatre anthem. Mr. Marre's wife, actress Joan Diener, played the lead female role of tavern wench Aldonza.

Albert Marre was born on Sept. 25, 1925, in New York City. He began his theatre career as an actor, making his Broadway debut as both performer and associate director in 1950 in The Relapse. One year later, he was director alone, on The Little Blue Light.

In 1948, Mr. Marre was one of the co-founders of the Brattle Theatre in Cambridge, MA, which was one of the country's first classical repertory companies. In 1953, he was hired by Lincoln Kirstein to be the first artistic director of the New York City Drama Company at City Center, where he staged Love's Labour's Lost, The Merchant of Venice and Shaw's Misalliance, all in 1953.

Kismet came next, handing him a hit production, a 1954 Donaldson Award for Best Director of a Musical, and a new wife in Diener, who starred. Diener and Marre were wed in 1956 and had two children. They remained married until her death in 2006.

A Tony nomination came for his work on The Chalk Garden in 1955. The following year, he directed Helen Hayes in Anouilh's Time Remembered. "In his direction," wrote Brooks Atkinson of the New York Times,"Albert Marre has ingeniously combined loveliness and drollery, piling magnificence so high that it becomes funny."

In 1958, he directed At the Grand, a musical version of Vicki Baum's 1930 novel "Grand Hotel," in Los Angeles. The show never reached New York. However, a revamped version of the property, called Grand Hotel, and directed by Tommy Tune, landed on Broadway more than 30 years later.

Mr. Marre introduced Broadway audiences to composer Jerry Herman in 1961, when he staged Herman's tale of the birth of Israel, Milk and Honey. It ran for a year-and-a-half. Other productions from this period included the musical The Conquering Hero, John Patrick's Good as Gold, a revival of Shaw's Too True to Be Good and the farces A Rainy Day in Newark and Never Live Over a Pretzel Factory. He wrote the book for the 1970 musical Cry for Us All and the 1975 musical Home Sweet Homer. Both starred Diener, were short-lived, and had scores by Mitch Leigh. His final non-La Mancha Broadway credit was the musical Chu Chem in 1989.

Mr. Marre is survived by his second wife, Mimi Turque.

« Last Edit: September 05, 2012, 10:49:33 AM by FJL »

John G.

« Reply #38 on: September 05, 2012, 10:55:23 AM »

Sorry to learn that he had been ill quite a while. That was a familiar name from a number of albums I had a kid.
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #39 on: September 05, 2012, 10:55:51 AM »

Was that recording of "Chu Chem" ever released commercially?
― Voltaire

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #40 on: September 05, 2012, 11:13:39 AM »

Well, God alone knows where the hell the Office depot delivery is! He's usually here by 1:00 and I would like to leave.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #41 on: September 05, 2012, 11:22:01 AM »

Good morning all!  First Post!

Sorry I haven't been posting.  Just not much going on right now.

I did notice that they put the 50 best moments of the AC show up  (on Facebook --sorry BK) as he is counting down to the new season.  I was not one of them but they did show the guy with the car.  I guess they know that nothing is being done in my case and don't want to point at it.

it's been a month since the last time I heard from anyone.  So much for the guy who was going to draw my kitchen and send it to me.  When I went over to Lowes (back when I thought I was going to get my money from Turner or the state), I had them draw 2 versions of the kitchen.  It took all of an hour so I know  that even if he set aside 30 minutes, he could have had the drawing done a long, long time ago. 

I hate to say it but it's been six months now and I am very disappointed.   

Vibes to all who need them.

Have a wonder filled day all!

~~~Completion Vibes for DR Danise!!~~~
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

John G.

« Reply #42 on: September 05, 2012, 11:25:51 AM »

I did notice that they put the 50 best moments of the AC show up  (on Facebook --sorry BK) as he is counting down to the new season.  I was not one of them but they did show the guy with the car.  I guess they know that nothing is being done in my case and don't want to point at it.

it's been a month since the last time I heard from anyone.  So much for the guy who was going to draw my kitchen and send it to me.  When I went over to Lowes (back when I thought I was going to get my money from Turner or the state), I had them draw 2 versions of the kitchen.  It took all of an hour so I know  that even if he set aside 30 minutes, he could have had the drawing done a long, long time ago. 

~~~Completion Vibes for DR Danise!!~~~
I'll second that.
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #43 on: September 05, 2012, 11:34:39 AM »

Just heard "Sex Is in the Heel" from Cyndi Lauper's "Kinky Boots." Fun. Certainly fits. Makes me want to hear more.
― Voltaire

George

« Reply #44 on: September 05, 2012, 11:40:23 AM »

As for the Topic of the Day...

Related to a previous Topic of the Day...

Are there any Made-For-TV Movies that you think could be the basis for a Stage Musical?

And...

One Made-For-TV movie (even though it's based on a short story by Kurt Vonnegut) that I've always thought could be a very good stage musical is "Who Am I This Time?" with Susan Sarandon and Christopher Walken.
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

John G.

« Reply #45 on: September 05, 2012, 11:43:41 AM »

Are there any Made-For-TV Movies that you think could be the basis for a Stage Musical?

And...

One Made-For-TV movie (even though it's based on a short story by Kurt Vonnegut) that I've always thought could be a very good stage musical is "Who Am I This Time?" with Susan Sarandon and Christopher Walken.
That was a sweet movie.
― Voltaire

George

« Reply #46 on: September 05, 2012, 12:11:19 PM »

DR George, I do not remember the warm up number in the Playbill.com video. I wonder if it's a substitution?

Thanks for posting it.

DR elmore and DR George - They switch up the pre-show set regularly. This allows for some variety, as well as to allow some flexibility for the cast members should someone need to "sit out" the pre-show or if an understudy is on. And, apparently, they also learn new tunes from time to time to keep things fresh. -And there are some impromptu and not-so-impromptu jams post-show jam sessions at the local Irish pubs around Times Square.

As for the video that was posted on Playbill.com - I love me some Anne Nathan. :)

Thanks for the info.  Last night, I tried searching the interwebs to see if I could find a list of what the pre-show songs were, but I couldn't find anything. 

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #47 on: September 05, 2012, 01:22:12 PM »

At last the damned Office Depot delivery arrived and I can go home. I spent the time moving furniture about and I hope the sound equipment still works tomorrow when I plug it in.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #48 on: September 05, 2012, 01:22:36 PM »

I am heading home. Thank you, Jesus!

John G.

« Reply #49 on: September 05, 2012, 01:25:09 PM »

One more.
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #50 on: September 05, 2012, 01:26:04 PM »

Make that 10 more. Where is everybody today?
― Voltaire

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #51 on: September 05, 2012, 01:29:13 PM »

What's going on?

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #52 on: September 05, 2012, 01:29:30 PM »

I am getting ready to go to rehearsal for Act Two.

John G.

« Reply #53 on: September 05, 2012, 01:36:01 PM »

Approaching funny vibes for JRand.
― Voltaire

George

« Reply #54 on: September 05, 2012, 01:43:50 PM »

I am getting ready to go to rehearsal for Act Two.

Break many legs!!

John G.

« Reply #55 on: September 05, 2012, 01:59:55 PM »

This looks like fun. Parahawking. I'd do it in a second.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pd5BMP_41bI
― Voltaire

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #56 on: September 05, 2012, 02:19:07 PM »

I think you should contact AC's show.  They are starting their new season next Monday, so this should be a good time to reach them.  Be sure to let them know that you were Anderson's guest on his show last year!
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #57 on: September 05, 2012, 02:19:56 PM »

And...

BRIAN'S SONG!
“One thing’s universal,

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #58 on: September 05, 2012, 02:21:23 PM »

DR TCB - we open on September 13.  And now they are talking about not having a stage manager.....

We tried that with OUR TOWN.  It didn't work.
“One thing’s universal,

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #59 on: September 05, 2012, 02:27:24 PM »

George, I am sorry to read that Bob Denver is still dead.
“One thing’s universal,
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10   Go Up