Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: THE BOOK SIGNING  (Read 12428 times)

Ginny

Re: THE BOOK SIGNING
« Reply #60 on: June 08, 2013, 08:58:58 AM »

What a lovely photos and memories, DR Ginny!

Finding these photos did, indeed, bring back some great memories, DR Singdaw!  I'd moved to Ohio by the time Mom & Dad took on this venture (he did the financial work and the graphic design - the logo is his).  They opened in 1979 and the store was up for sale when Dad died in 1984.  Mom took it off the market for a while, but proceeded to sell when Border's announced a new store 5 miles away.  It sold about the time Rob was born in 1985 and Mom moved to Phoenix the next year.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

ChasSmith

« Reply #61 on: June 08, 2013, 09:09:32 AM »

Finding these photos did, indeed, bring back some great memories, DR Singdaw!  I'd moved to Ohio by the time Mom & Dad took on this venture (he did the financial work and the graphic design - the logo is his).  They opened in 1979 and the store was up for sale when Dad died in 1984.  Mom took it off the market for a while, but proceeded to sell when Border's announced a new store 5 miles away.  It sold about the time Rob was born in 1985 and Mom moved to Phoenix the next year.

Memories, indeed.  Thank you for posting those.

There can never be enough pictures of bookstores and theaters from our past.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #62 on: June 08, 2013, 09:33:59 AM »

Harvey Weinstein has replaced the entire writing/directing team of FINDING NEVERLAND, and I cannot tell if this was a smart move or a poor one. I'm not a fan of Rob Ashford's direction, and I think little of the songwriters' work for FAR FROM HEAVEN. but is the new team any better? I want to see PIPPIN but I thought the director and her PORGY AND BESS team behaved liked philistines. So, it's it ships leaving a sinking rat or vice versa?

Time to get ready for VENICE. I hope it's not too loud. Or lousy.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #63 on: June 08, 2013, 10:09:34 AM »

DR Vixmom thank you for the vibes.

DRY BASEMENT VIBES TO YOU!!!

Jane

« Reply #64 on: June 08, 2013, 10:13:35 AM »

DR Jane, what a beautiful sunset. You are so fortunate to have such a lovely view right from your home! I would never tire of it. Thanks for sharing!

I wish we got sunsets like that here.  The photo was taken at the coast.  Our condo overlooked the water.  With the late sunsets we were able to eat dinner and return in time to relax on the porch and enjoy the view.  The following night it was too foggy for a repeat show.

Jane

« Reply #65 on: June 08, 2013, 10:16:01 AM »

Oh...I forgot THE BACHELOR AND THE BOBBY SOXER!

He and Myrna Loy were great together.

Jane

« Reply #66 on: June 08, 2013, 10:18:11 AM »

One of my favorites from Mr. Blandings is a telephone call:

"What?  Yes.  We can't move in 30 days.  No. No. I have a lease.  It's impossible.  No. You will be hearing from my lawyer. No. No."

"What is it, dear?"

"We're moving in 30 days."

My favorite conversation in Mr. Blandings:
Muriel Blandings: I want it to be a soft green, not as blue-green as a robin's egg, but not as yellow-green as daffodil buds. Now, the only sample I could get is a little too yellow, but don't let whoever does it go to the other extreme and get it too blue. It should just be a sort of grayish-yellow-green. Now, the dining room. I'd like yellow. Not just yellow; a very gay yellow. Something bright and sunshine-y. I tell you, Mr. PeDelford, if you'll send one of your men to the grocer for a pound of their best butter, and match that exactly, you can't go wrong! Now, this is the paper we're going to use in the hall. It's flowered, but I don't want the ceiling to match any of the colors of the flowers. There's some little dots in the background, and it's these dots I want you to match. Not the little greenish dot near the hollyhock leaf, but the little bluish dot between the rosebud and the delphinium blossom. Is that clear? Now the kitchen is to be white. Not a cold, antiseptic hospital white. A little warmer, but still, not to suggest any other color but white. Now for the powder room - in here - I want you to match this thread, and don't lose it. It's the only spool I have and I had an awful time finding it! As you can see, it's practically an apple red. Somewhere between a healthy winesap and an unripened Jonathan. Oh, excuse me...
Mr. Delford: You got that Charlie?
Workman: Red, green, blue, yellow, white.
Mr. Delford: Check.

ArnoldMBrockman

• so many possibilities
« Reply #67 on: June 08, 2013, 10:17:20 AM »

And the word of the day is: BURGEON!

And The Song Of The Day Is:  BUDS WON'T BUD

Jane

« Reply #68 on: June 08, 2013, 10:22:28 AM »

Addendum:

DADDY LONG LEGS - because how can I not, with such a great picture, above?

I was thinking the same thing.

Jane

« Reply #69 on: June 08, 2013, 10:24:58 AM »

~ ~ ~ VIBES ~ ~ ~ for a well-attended and successful book signing for bk!

DITTO!!!!

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #70 on: June 08, 2013, 10:24:22 AM »

Dentist visit vibes for DR VIXMOM.

Book signing vibes for MR BK......vibes for a BIG crowd.

~~~DITTO and DITTO!!~~~
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #71 on: June 08, 2013, 10:25:45 AM »

Busy day today. I won't be around much.

Ditto!  Actually, today is going to be one of the longest days that I've had in quite a while...first, I have to go to my sister's for a bit before I go to the theater for our last two-show day of "Cinder Edna."  I need to get to the theater earlier than usual because David, the guy who set up the microphones, is coming by because last night three, count 'em, THREE microphones went all wonky and they seemed fine at the pre-show mic check.  :( Hopefully, that can be fixed...again...because we're also recording these last few performances. 
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Jane

« Reply #72 on: June 08, 2013, 10:26:44 AM »

Further in the VIBES for Mystery & Imagination, here are two tantalizing pictures found somewhere on the web several years ago.  This was the Dover Book Shop at 2672 Broadway, NYC, in 1945.  Follow the links, where you can zoom in for a much closer look at what's there.  These photos kill me.   It's a look into a different world.  While I never knew that store, I knew others, in other towns, in the 1960s and 1970s, that were similar in style, feel, and content.

Nice pics.

George

« Reply #73 on: June 08, 2013, 10:26:13 AM »

Then we have our 1:00 matinee. 

Jane

« Reply #74 on: June 08, 2013, 10:27:13 AM »

MEGA VIBES FOR DC CALLIE!!!!

George

« Reply #75 on: June 08, 2013, 10:26:28 AM »

Then during the break before our 4:30 show, we're going to re-record a couple of the songs so that the one actor who doesn't have a microphone can be recorded.  Someone brought in a recorder that's hooked up to the sound board but because this one actor doesn't have a microphone, he's not being recorded at all, so we want to get the two or three songs where he's featured prominently. 

George

« Reply #76 on: June 08, 2013, 10:26:38 AM »

Then we have our second show at 4:30.  THEN we'll have our cast party after that.  They always do a good job with that.

George

« Reply #77 on: June 08, 2013, 10:26:54 AM »

And tomorrow, we have our last performance and the striking of the set and then it's over! 

George

« Reply #78 on: June 08, 2013, 10:27:00 AM »

THEN THE TONY AWARDS!! ;D

George

« Reply #79 on: June 08, 2013, 10:27:49 AM »

And now, I must be going!  Be back...eventually!

George

« Reply #80 on: June 08, 2013, 10:28:07 AM »

Hi, Jane!

George

« Reply #81 on: June 08, 2013, 10:28:17 AM »

Bye, Jane! :D

Jane

« Reply #82 on: June 08, 2013, 10:31:07 AM »

From one of the NYC rags:     :)

[/size]The Woodbridge Township officials did not know what brand of whiskey suddenly ended up on the rocks.

;D

Our paper in Tiburon had a similar reporting style. :)

Jane

« Reply #83 on: June 08, 2013, 10:33:30 AM »

Good morning.  The coat show remains intact, however, one of our cast members is in major trouble.  He's being allowed to finish the show (tonight is the last night), however, he can't participate in the cast party and couldn't go bowling last night.  The administration was nice in that respect.  He's a good kid who made stupid choices. 

I'm glad he is able to do the show and hope he will be ok.

Jane

« Reply #84 on: June 08, 2013, 10:34:25 AM »

In the bookstore nostalgia department, I thought you might like to see the little gem that my Mom opened when she was about the age I am now.  It was in downtown Northville, Michigan, and was 8 feet wide and 40 feet long.

Very, very nice. :)

Jane

« Reply #85 on: June 08, 2013, 10:35:54 AM »

Here is the sales counter and the hardcover side of the store:

It looks like a nice place to shop.

Jane

« Reply #86 on: June 08, 2013, 10:37:20 AM »

DR Doug you were a darling, very English looking, school boy.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #87 on: June 08, 2013, 10:36:36 AM »

I'm up, I'm up.  Ten glorious hours of sleep!

Jane

« Reply #88 on: June 08, 2013, 10:38:19 AM »

She sold just in time.

Jane

« Reply #89 on: June 08, 2013, 10:38:44 AM »

Memories, indeed.  Thank you for posting those.

There can never be enough pictures of bookstores and theaters from our past.

Ditto & Ditto!!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Up