Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: EVERYTHING THE TRAFFIC WILL ALLOW  (Read 11521 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
EVERYTHING THE TRAFFIC WILL ALLOW
« on: July 09, 2013, 12:17:35 AM »

Well, you've read the notes, the notes allowed traffic and had all kinds of visual and aural aids, and now it it time for you to post until the cows come home - they're currently playing in traffic.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re: EVERYTHING THE TRAFFIC WILL ALLOW
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2013, 12:18:40 AM »

And the word of the day is: PHALANX!

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2013, 12:52:56 AM »

BK, did you (or anyone else) know that the DVD of The Ghastly Love of Johnny X is now available for purchase?

Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2013, 12:55:02 AM »

It was just released last month on June 18, 2013, according to the Amazon.com listing.
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

singdaw

• Someone in a tree
    • David's Facebook Page
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2013, 01:35:12 AM »

Loved all the multimedia "extras" in today's notes.
I just come here for the novelty coffee mugs and their trenchant commentary on the little ironies of everyday life.

singdaw

• Someone in a tree
    • David's Facebook Page
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2013, 01:43:57 AM »

I hope you've all taken your insulin this morning.     :)

I just come here for the novelty coffee mugs and their trenchant commentary on the little ironies of everyday life.

singdaw

• Someone in a tree
    • David's Facebook Page
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2013, 02:06:59 AM »

And, continuing in the same vein: does anyone remember watching the television show Apple's Way?      ;D
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iYVn2KU5b1E

FJL

« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2013, 03:36:21 AM »

And, continuing in the same vein: does anyone remember watching the television show Apple's Way?      ;D
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iYVn2KU5b1E

Vincent Van Patten (before he turned tennis pro, i assume?) AND Kristy McNichol (before she played Buddy in Follies, I mean, in Family)  playing the kids?  I hadn't remembered Kristy McNichol on that

FJL

« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2013, 03:37:25 AM »

For utter hard-core Apple's Way sweetness that actually suggests starving the dog so it will be so hungry it will do a trick for food,  there's this from Apple's Way too

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bXHpS5MQxes

:)

FJL

« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2013, 03:44:34 AM »

TOD:

"Mack the Knife"  must have been written decades earlier, but charted during this period

Bobby Darin - Mack the Knife
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h8iPUK0AGRo

FJL

« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2013, 03:46:33 AM »

And for those who think we're in a suggestive era today, here from 1959 is Dave Cortez's THE HAPPY ORGAN INSTRUMENTAL

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nXtXo7_C-d4

Ben

« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2013, 03:48:18 AM »

Morning all.

That is all..

singdaw

• Someone in a tree
    • David's Facebook Page
« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2013, 03:49:46 AM »

Vincent Van Patten (before he turned tennis pro, i assume?)

I guess the butter-churning thing didn't pan out as a career!      :)

ChasSmith

« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2013, 05:18:30 AM »

Good morning, all.

Coffee!

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2013, 05:19:19 AM »

Good morning, all!

I have little to report: I finished by mystery Death at the Beggar's Opera and I've ordered several more books in the series. So, I'm currently between travel literature. It's back to Jane Austen for the nonce.

I am off to Toyland. I'd like to finish up the final two movements of the Moross Ballet Ballad, and I may take the ROBERTA vocal score down to Kinko's and have a few more printed up.

DR JohnG, I got your email. I know that often in manuscript plays and vocal scores, you'll find info like "vamp until Gwen/John exits," where the actor's name is used rather than the name of the character he or she is playing. As to the Kimball Porter lyrics, Bob's a wonderful man, but errors do happen in publishing; he missed the original "Nymph Errand" finish of "The Physician" and, as a consequence, the lyrics about cruising soldiers in the park after dark is what is known as the song's conclusion; in the Hart book, he assigns one of the DEAREST ENEMY lyrics to the wrong character. He most likely didn't missed some sources for SOMETHING FOR THE BOYS, or the editor sent the incorrect materials to the printer. Who's to know?

Every time I have to submit copy, I worry about this.  Once it's in print, it suddenly becomes truth, and sometimes it's an error.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2013, 05:21:33 AM by elmore3003 »
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

ChasSmith

« Reply #15 on: July 09, 2013, 05:25:49 AM »

Love the newspaper clippings!

It's astounding to think that BK, of all people, can still discover a heretofore forgotten/unknown piece of his personal history like that one.  Simply remarkable.

Kerry

« Reply #16 on: July 09, 2013, 05:27:25 AM »

It's Tuesday-- I know that much.
I like boat races.

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
« Reply #17 on: July 09, 2013, 05:26:47 AM »

Good morning, all.

Thanks, Elmore, for the notes. One thing I found interesting when I went to the Complete Lyrics of Cole Porter that was different from the three or so recordings I have of the song was in "By the Mississiniwah." The book has a patter section, but I've never heard it -- and thing it's a superfluous as the patter section Porter wrote for "From This Moment On."

Anyway, Tuesday vibes for all.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
« Reply #18 on: July 09, 2013, 05:38:41 AM »

TOD:

Probably too many to mention. I love early Elvis, Jerry Lee Lewis, Carl Perkins, Roy Orbison, Johnny Cash -- the guys that came through Sam Phillips' Sun Studios. Chuck Berry, Little Richard, Buddy Holly -- you name it.

A few favorite songs, and I don't know if all of them fit the definition of rock 'n' roll:

Sing, Sing, Sing
Twilight Time
Mack the Knife
Great Balls of Fire
Peggy Sue
Let's Twist Again
Ooby Dooby
Cool Jerk
Only You

“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #19 on: July 09, 2013, 05:45:17 AM »

Good morning, all.

Thanks, Elmore, for the notes. One thing I found interesting when I went to the Complete Lyrics of Cole Porter that was different from the three or so recordings I have of the song was in "By the Mississiniwah." The book has a patter section, but I've never heard it -- and thing it's a superfluous as the patter section Porter wrote for "From This Moment On."

Anyway, Tuesday vibes for all.

The patter came from a manuscript copy of the song. It most likely got cut in rehearsal or possibly when Ethel Merman demanded that Paula Lawrence be fired.

In JUBILEE, there is a section for "Why Shouldn't I?" that exists in the song manuscript as well as the copyright libretto. By the time the show opened, the section was cut to reduce the song's length.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Ginny

« Reply #20 on: July 09, 2013, 05:47:44 AM »

Tuesday morning greetings!  Today I have to visit the vampire lab for a routine blood test, then the dentist to have an old crown removed and the prep done for a replacement.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Sam

• " The best things in life are free "
« Reply #21 on: July 09, 2013, 05:50:45 AM »

:)
"Shoot for the moon.  Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars..."  (Unknown)

Sam

• " The best things in life are free "
« Reply #22 on: July 09, 2013, 05:51:16 AM »

Good morning.

Good morning everyone.

Late for work.

;)
"Shoot for the moon.  Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars..."  (Unknown)

Druxy

• druxmanworks.com
« Reply #23 on: July 09, 2013, 06:28:46 AM »

TOD

Rock Around the Clock
Mack the Knife
You can dream…or you can do.

singdaw

• Someone in a tree
    • David's Facebook Page
« Reply #24 on: July 09, 2013, 06:33:01 AM »

post until the cows come home - they're currently playing in traffic.

Boy, you aren't kidding!

Laura

« Reply #25 on: July 09, 2013, 07:05:44 AM »

Good morning. I spent a fun day chasing butterflies yesterday.

http://www.andthisiswhatisaw.net/2013/07/along-fish-hatchery-road.html
"That's a lotta hamsters."

Kate

« Reply #26 on: July 09, 2013, 07:35:59 AM »

Good Morning All:

TOD:

I know these are a little past 1960, but these were more in my era.

Hey Jude, The Beatles, 1968
A Whiter Shade of Pale, Procul Harum, 1967
Yesterday, The Beatles, 1968
Unchained Melody, The Richteous Brothers, 1965
These Boots Are Made For Walking, Nancy and Frank Sinatra, 1966
Michelle,  The Beatles, 1968
Sitting On The Dock Of The Bay, Otis Redding, 1968

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #27 on: July 09, 2013, 07:37:09 AM »

I, too, watched the Blu Ray of "Love is a Many-Splendored Thing" last night.  It's as good as BK said.  However, and I don't like to carp about favorite things, the commentary track was a tad nervewracking.  We had Mike Lonzo talking about the cinematography and Jon Burlingame talking about the music.  But towering above them both was Sylvia Stoddard going on and on and on about the time and place and culture clash, etc.  I knew most all of that from reading (which a lot of folks simply don't do any more), but it was all loosey-goosey and she never takes a breath.  Her commentary was about 90% of the total commentary and it simply got on my last nerve.  Lonzo and Burlingame seemingly could only get a few words in edgewise, but I enjoyed what they had to say.  A separate commentary with Stoddard would have been a nice move had they thought about it (or could afford it). 
« Last Edit: July 09, 2013, 07:43:22 AM by Ron Pulliam »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #28 on: July 09, 2013, 07:40:31 AM »

As if that wasn't enough Blu Ray watching, I then tackled one of my favorites:  "Sleepless in Seattle".  It's absolutely lovely and wonderful and the entire soundtrack is isolated and there are some wonderful songs scattered throughout.  At the end, there is the heart-in-your-throat "Empire State Building Montage" written by Hugo W. Friedhofer for "An Affair to Remember" in 1957.  This wonderful music accompanied Meg Ryan's mad dash from a taxi to the Empire State Building where, she hoped, she might meet this "Sam Baldwin" who was "Sleepless in Seattle" one Christmas Eve on a radio talk show.   It's a blubber-fest for me.  Loved it.  Watched that final sequence several times.

Then it was time for bed.  And my dream:  I met my brother (I'm actually an only child) for the first time...and he's a time traveler.  Put that in your Dream-O-Matic 6000, Jack, and tell me what it means, please.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2013, 08:06:39 AM by Ron Pulliam »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

singdaw

• Someone in a tree
    • David's Facebook Page
« Reply #29 on: July 09, 2013, 07:47:53 AM »

Thanks for the photo link, DR Laura. They are all lovely!       :)
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Up