Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: THE UNSEEMLY HEAT  (Read 6974 times)

Kate

Re: THE UNSEEMLY HEAT
« Reply #60 on: October 06, 2013, 01:23:39 PM »

YES, PAGE 3!!!!!! :) ;) :D

Ben

« Reply #61 on: October 06, 2013, 01:25:30 PM »

Hi, Kate,

It was fun seeing Kevin and his friends. We've seen Kevin a couple of times when he has been in New York and we always have a good time.

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #62 on: October 06, 2013, 01:26:18 PM »

Good morning, all!  Another bad night of sleep, but I am bathed, dressed, and on my first cup of coffee. Perhaps this means I will get some good sleeping tonight. I'm hoping!

After I watched the HOT IN CLEVELAND episodes, I began a BBC series CITY OF VICE, which is quite wonderful, about Henry Fielding, author of TOM JONES, and his half-brother John, who served as magistrates in London around 1755, and founded the London police force. The cast is quite wonderful.

Elmore, I bought this series a few years back and quite liked it.  The only disappointment was it was too short.  There is a nice series of mysteries written by Bruce Alexander (now out of print) about the Blind Beak, John Fielding, that I heartily recommend.

Kate

« Reply #63 on: October 06, 2013, 01:26:53 PM »

Hi, Kate,

It was fun seeing Kevin and his friends. We've seen Kevin a couple of times when he has been in New York and we always have a good time.

Thats great Ben!  Too bad though Anthony isn't in the picture.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #64 on: October 06, 2013, 01:34:01 PM »

I'm up - busy little morning.  Slept eight hours, so that was nice.  Then I had an e-mail from the gal who will most likely star in the first episode of season three's Outside the Box - so I just decided to write the opening scene for her, which I did.  Then I did a three-mile jog and now I'm back and in ninety minutes we do our stumble-through.  Just had some melon balls to tide me over.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #65 on: October 06, 2013, 01:34:45 PM »

There were indeed three LPs for Nudie - the first two we did ourselves and the third was, of course, the very first Varese Sarabande soundtrack album.  That's the best-sounding of the three.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #66 on: October 06, 2013, 02:46:53 PM »

Finished CITY OF VICE, which foolishly had only one season of 5 episodes on the BBC.  I've been looking in all the obvious places for the Hogarth DVD, A HARLOT'S PROGRESS, and I cannot put my hands on it. Damn!
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #67 on: October 06, 2013, 03:32:37 PM »

I've had some dinner and no one's posted in 45 minutes. What the hell?
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

ChasSmith

« Reply #68 on: October 06, 2013, 03:41:48 PM »

Been quiet all day.  Everywhere, though, not just here.

ChasSmith

« Reply #69 on: October 06, 2013, 03:45:09 PM »

(Not referring to Facebook, which I don't do.)

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #70 on: October 06, 2013, 03:45:18 PM »

Slow news day at HHW.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #71 on: October 06, 2013, 03:46:14 PM »

I just returned from seeing GRAVITY in 3D.  And it was okay.  The performances are fine, Sandra Bullock and George Clooney are a nice pair.... 

If you think you MIGHT like it, you probably will. 
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #72 on: October 06, 2013, 03:47:49 PM »

I just ordered my friend Chris' second book on the hazards of contemporary opera production.

Ginny

« Reply #73 on: October 06, 2013, 03:55:16 PM »

Well, the big experiment of moving Middfest from the city center to the local Miami University campus is history.  AAUW's contribution, as in years past, was to host the sponsor lounge and, from our perspective, it was fine.  The event overall had some major publicity and logistical challenges, but the part I was in charge of went very smoothly.  Lots of wonderful help from many AAUW members and several husbands and great support from the university physical facilities staff.  We only had a handful of sponsors visit the lounge, but we all had fun visiting with one another.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Ginny

« Reply #74 on: October 06, 2013, 03:58:11 PM »

And thanks for the weather vibes.  Alas, they didn't work this time and all the outdoor activities were moved inside.  Didn't affect us, except we were unable to use the lovely balcony outside our spot in Johnston Hall.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #75 on: October 06, 2013, 04:15:19 PM »

Larry, I haven't seen CITY OF VICE, but there's a series of novels by Bruce Alexander about Sir John Fielding, which is quite good. BLIND JUSTICE (Sir John was blind) is the first of the series. Highly recommended.

I stopped reading the Bruce Alexander series because I found that his American spellings and occasional syntax removed my credulity that the narrator lived in Georgian London. I'm currently reading Deryn Lakes' John Rawlings mysteries, which all have Sir John Fielding as a major character, and I really like them.  The first one is "Death in the Dark Walk," second is "Death at The Beggar's Opera."

I've almost finished watchng CITY OF VICE; I'm on the last episode.

Thanks for the recommendation. I just ordered one of them. I don't recall being bothered with the Bruce Alexander series, but I certainly have been with others. It can be distracting, to say the least.

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #76 on: October 06, 2013, 04:17:08 PM »

WHAT??!! I'm not the only person on the face of the planet who doesn't do Facebook?

ChasSmith

« Reply #77 on: October 06, 2013, 04:22:48 PM »

WHAT??!! I'm not the only person on the face of the planet who doesn't do Facebook?

I know a couple more, too.  It's true!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #78 on: October 06, 2013, 04:23:19 PM »

I heard a few weeks ago from people who saw screenings of Gravity that it was not much to their liking.  The critics, however, are trumpeting it as if it is automatically one of the greatest movies ever made, a game changer.  We shall see about THAT.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #79 on: October 06, 2013, 04:24:34 PM »

Just had the best stumble-through ever - I think we had one teeny-tiny lyric flub (and believe me, this is the most lyric heavy show we've done) and it was so minor no one even took notice.  The cast was great, I had only three tiny nitpicky things to say.  Best of all, the order worked perfectly.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #80 on: October 06, 2013, 04:24:47 PM »

And now I must go eat something before I fall over.

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #81 on: October 06, 2013, 04:31:54 PM »

Would those of you who have Kindles say that you can email and surf the web on it adequately? Or is it really only practical as an ereader?

Ginny

« Reply #82 on: October 06, 2013, 04:47:31 PM »

Would those of you who have Kindles say that you can email and surf the web on it adequately? Or is it really only practical as an ereader?

Depends on what kind of Kindle you have, DR Jeanne.  The one I have that's about 3 years old is a very clunky web device, but our son uses his Kindle Fire almost like an iPad.

singdaw

• Someone in a tree
    • David's Facebook Page
« Reply #83 on: October 06, 2013, 05:15:41 PM »

I just come here for the novelty coffee mugs and their trenchant commentary on the little ironies of everyday life.

singdaw

• Someone in a tree
    • David's Facebook Page
« Reply #84 on: October 06, 2013, 05:17:47 PM »

I agree with DR Ginny - the Kindles that are readers are definitely NOT good as all-purpose tablets. The Fire line, I understand, is better for that - but probably still not as good as an Android or Windows or iPad tablet.
I just come here for the novelty coffee mugs and their trenchant commentary on the little ironies of everyday life.

KevinH

« Reply #85 on: October 06, 2013, 05:20:16 PM »

Enjoying DR Kevin's theatre comments.

Thanks, DR Jeanne!

KevinH

« Reply #86 on: October 06, 2013, 05:24:11 PM »

And I'm back from another show. It's called The Landing. It's a musical, but there aren't that many songs.  It stars David Hyde Pierce , Julia Murney, Paul Anthony Stewart and child actor Frankie Seratch.  It was very unusual.  There are 3 separate stories.  I enjoyed them all to some extent.  Some of it is very funny.  Paul Anthony Stewart played several characters in one of the stories and was hilarious.    After the show I spotted John Kander, who composed the music for the show.  Now I wish I had spoken to him.

KevinH

« Reply #87 on: October 06, 2013, 05:25:49 PM »

I also went to see the "Red carpet" for the premiere of Big Fish.  I saw Whoopi Goldberg, Zachary Quinto, Quavanzenee Wallis (I know that's the wrong spelling), Mario Cantone, Sierra Boggess, Billy Porter and others. 

KevinH

« Reply #88 on: October 06, 2013, 05:30:00 PM »

It seems strange not seeing a show tonight but I think I would have fallen asleep had I done so.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #89 on: October 06, 2013, 06:04:08 PM »

Page three?  Really?
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up