Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Down

Author Topic: THE EXHAUSTED NOTES  (Read 18914 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
THE EXHAUSTED NOTES
« on: August 29, 2004, 12:41:14 AM »

Well, you've read the notes, you're exhausted from having read the notes and now it is time to post until the exhausted cows come home. 8)
« Last Edit: August 30, 2004, 12:02:14 AM by bk »

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
Re:THE EXHAUSTED NOTES
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2004, 12:47:47 AM »

First Post!  Huzzah!!
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2004, 12:51:15 AM »

I just discovered an artlcle about the WHAT IF? opening night that I hadn't seen before. What I found amusing is that among the notables listed as attending the performance is one Jose C. Simbulan.
(Unless DR Jose has a relative with that very name who was indeed in the audience. In that case I shall stop being amused. Meanwhile, I'm smiling. Like this:   :) )

« Last Edit: August 29, 2004, 12:54:36 AM by Panni »

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2004, 12:54:32 AM »

I will more than likely be at chat tonight...the library where I work is having a picnic for our entire library system and I'm going to go.  Not just as a participant, but also to sell Root Beer Floats as a fund raiser for the American Cancer Society's Relay For Life team that I'm on (The Bookers).  The picnic is supposed to start at 1:00 p.m. or so and is supposed to go until 6:00.  I'm sure that I'll be out of there long before then.  Out of almost 400 employees, only 50 or so have RSVP'd to say that they'd be there. :-\ But, I'm sure it'll be fun. :)
« Last Edit: August 29, 2004, 12:55:02 AM by George »
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Panni

« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2004, 12:55:26 AM »

I forgot to post the link to the article:

OPENING NIGHT STORY

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2004, 01:13:25 AM »

Good evening!  Good morning!

-I'm a bit exhausted myself right now.  I headed out a few hours earlier this afternoon to run some errands before the show.  Well, one of my "errands" turned out to be taking some pictures of the "old" Ambassador University campus for a friend of mine back in Richmond - that's where he went to school in the late 80's.  I was walking through Old Pasadena, and saw a sign for the Ambassador Auditorium, and just went from there.

The Worldwide Church of God now owns the campus, and, from looking into to some of the buildings, it doesn't really look like many of them are in use right now.  However, it's a quite a nice campus.  Beautiful landscaping, Japanese carp swimming in the waterways, some nice pieces of sculpture, etc.

I was hoping to get into the Ambassador Auditorium to take some pictures inside - especially the (supposedly) famous chandeliers.  Unfortunately, it was locked, and the only way it looks like I could get inside would be to attend a service on Sundays - at least according the plaque that was posted by the entrance.  Hmm...

In any case, I walked around for a while and got some great pictures to send back to my friend, Mark.

Then I made my way over to the Metro stop.  Well, this took a bit longer than I thought since the whole area where the stop is located is under construction.  I thought I could access the platform from here - nope.  I thought I could access the platform from there - nope.  So, after heading around the block - one BIG block - I finally found the way to the platform.

I ended up getting off in Chinatown and walking over to Philippe for some dinner.  I tried the Roast Pork sandwich - very good.  -Now I just have to try the Ham and Turkey and I'll have made my way through their main sandwiches.  Then a walk over to Union Station where I hopped the Red Line over to Hollywood and Vine... And then to the theatre.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2004, 01:19:22 AM »

Upon entering the theatre, BK promptly "demonstrated" the new song for me.  Sounds good.  I'll have to set aside a few hours over the next couple of days to chart it, but it shouldn't take too long since it repeats sections - I'll just need to copy and paste sections, and then just adjust the lyrics.  But it certainly is a catchy tune!

The show, as BK mentioned, was good, but a little strange audience-wise.  A good audience, but their reactions were kind of unexpected for lack of a better word.  *Of course, the "kicker" was a gentleman in the first(!) row who appeared to be sleeping right from the top of the second act to the curtain call.  ??? :\

On my way back home, I stopped at 7-11 and picked up a pint of Ben & Jerry's Cherry Garcia.  A nice post-show, pre-bedtime snack.  -And it's been a while since I've had ice cream too, so...
« Last Edit: August 29, 2004, 01:33:52 AM by JoseSPiano »
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2004, 01:22:45 AM »

I forgot to post the link to the article:

OPENING NIGHT STORY

Thanks for the link, DR Panni.  Interesting... It was written by the show's publicist - and I'm surprised he didn't list himself among the "notables". ;)

However, it should be noted that you too, Anna Sandor, are listed!  You're a star!
Make Your Own Luck.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2004, 01:31:03 AM »

Our publicist is, how shall we say, incorrigible.  And he's a dirigible, too.  

Welcome lurker Iris, who I believe I met on Thursday night at our little show.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2004, 01:35:32 AM »

And on that note... let's say a good-ole middle-C!...

Goodnight.
Make Your Own Luck.

Jennifer

« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2004, 06:27:37 AM »

Good morning all!

I read last night about Laura Branigan.  That is really sad. I used to listen to her a lot when I was a kid.

If you really want to cry, go check out the song playing when you open up her website:

http://www.laurabraniganonline.com

Jennifer

« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2004, 06:30:55 AM »

And to the DR who mentioned watching diving yesterday, all I have to say is SOBBBBBBBBBBB!  :'(
« Last Edit: August 29, 2004, 06:32:26 AM by Jennifer »

Michael

« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2004, 06:33:49 AM »

Good morning all!

I read last night about Laura Branigan.  That is really sad. I used to listen to her a lot when I was a kid.

If you really want to cry, go check out the song playing when you open up her website:

http://www.laurabraniganonline.com

What a bummer to wake up to. I was listening to NPR and it gets to a point now that I can figure out who has died before they announce it. They play a audio clip of something closely associated with that person and then they announce it.
Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2004, 06:38:02 AM »

I first want to say is that I hope that BK finds a new theater to extend the show for a continious run this fall. I had planned to take next weekend off and come to LA, but I could find a flight on Friday and Monday that would get me there and back at reasonable hours. So here's hoping to finding a new theater.
Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2004, 06:47:11 AM »

I meant to tell DR Matt that I really like your pic without your mustache. It makes you look ten years younger!
Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #15 on: August 29, 2004, 06:51:58 AM »

And they forgot to mention an important person

Casting Complete for World Premiere of Night of the Hunter Musical, Bowing Sept. 20 in California

By Kenneth Jones
August 27, 2004

The Night of the Hunter, the dark and hopeful musical about good, evil, greed, murder and the resilience of children, is in rehearsal toward a world premiere run Sept. 20-Oct. 24 at the Willows Theatre Company in Concord, California.The cast includes Brian Noonan (of North Shore Theatre's Beauty and the Beast) as The Preacher (a.k.a. Harry Powell) and Lynne Wintersteller (Off-Broadway's Closer Than Ever) as Willa Harper. ....

John Bowab directs the show by composer Claibe Richardson and lyricist-librettist Stephen Cole, based on the novel by Davis Grubb. Musical numbers are staged by Diana Baffa-Brill. Musical director is Daniel Feyer....

Writer Stephen Cole told Playbill On-Line producers are coming from both regional and commercial venues to take a look at the show, and Bowab is attached as future producer.

The late Claibe Richardson wrote music for The Grass Harp. Cole penned After the Fair and the upcoming musicals Time After Time and Continental Divide....

In the April 2003 workshop presentations of the piece, Ron Raines starred as the menacing Preacher.

Lyricist-librettist Stephen Cole won a 2000 Kleban Award for the work, and the piece earned an NEA grant for development.

A 1998 concept cast album of the score (on the Fynsworth Alley label) spread word of the West Virginia-set show, and Warner Bros. published the vocal selections, further raising the profile. The libretto is drawn from Davis Grubb's 1953 novel, which inspired the film.

Never stop dreaming.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #16 on: August 29, 2004, 06:55:05 AM »

Thank you, DR Michael Shayne. Honestly, that wasn't the intention, just felt the facial hair was inappropriate for the roles which were coming up I wanted to try for.

Several other people have made similar comments about the mustache, but once this group of auditions is over (early October is the last for this year), the mustache will come back. I hate the way I look without it.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #17 on: August 29, 2004, 07:04:07 AM »

Last night Noel wrote: "Yes, Matt, I praised You're Awful earlier.   Given that they also had Frank Sinatra in the cast, there was at least ONE man around who could have handled any or all of the Bernstein songs.  But, for some reason, Frank's the funny one and Gene's the more romantic one.  Never made too much sense to me.  But I agree it's a pretty good film in its own right.

Cast Frank as Gabey, let him sing Lonely Town and Lucky To Be Me, and let Gene play Chip (c'mon - which guy is more believable as a fellow who's never seen New York?) and you'd have even a better film."

Yes, Noel, I knew you had kind things to say about "You're Awful." I do read the posts here.

The problem with your solution is that Frank Sinatra's MGM persona was not one of a guy with lots of experience with girls. (We know in real life, this was ludicrous.) In their two previous pictures together (both BIG hits) ANCHORS AWEIGH and TAKE ME OUT TO THE BALLGAME, it was Gene as the ladies' man and Frank as the inexperienced, shy man with girls. After the disastrous experiment in trying to change Judy Garland's image to a sophisticate in THE PIRATE yielding her first flop at MGM, I'm sure NO ONE had the least intention of messing with Sinatra's movie image. Besides, you make Frank Gabey and there goes "The Day in New York Ballet." I certainly would rather have a new score that both stars could handle and a dance that the dancer in the cast could handle than suffer through any kind of ballet with Sinatra.

Besides,  as I said before, the producer and the studio head both loathed the ON THE TOWN stage score so even casting Sinatra as Gabey wouldn't have let us hear "Lonely Town" and "Lucky to Be Me."

Matt H.

« Reply #18 on: August 29, 2004, 07:07:35 AM »

I've made my DVD selection for this afternoon - DEATH IN VENICE. Haven't seen it in 20 years when it played as a double feature with THE DAMNED at a revival theater here in town. That was a LLLOOONNNGGG afternoon (enjoyable, but both movies were slow and had lengthy running times.)

Michael

« Reply #19 on: August 29, 2004, 07:11:28 AM »

Interesting "article" about why Dracula the musical will run on Broadway for a while insteading of closing right away like it should.

http://www.nypost.com/seven/08252004/entertainment/27442.htm
Never stop dreaming.

Matt H.

« Reply #20 on: August 29, 2004, 07:11:30 AM »

I can't be at chat tonight - SIX FEET UNDER in high definition beckons.

Michael

« Reply #21 on: August 29, 2004, 07:13:54 AM »

Saw this title REVIEW: "The All-Male Importance of Being Earnest" BY GORDON COX

and actually misread it as REVIEW: "The All-Male Impotent of Being Earnest" BY GORDON COX

Never stop dreaming.

Matt H.

« Reply #22 on: August 29, 2004, 07:16:29 AM »

That is an interesting article, DR Michael. Thanks for the link. Pretty much backs up what we all were thinking about these shows that run at losses for incredible runs that would have been unthinkable during Broadway's Golden Age.

Michael

« Reply #23 on: August 29, 2004, 07:16:33 AM »

Wow harsher words I have never read in a review. Michael Feingold's review of Dracula: The Musical. This is good reading! ;)

http://www.villagevoice.com/issues/0434/feingold.php
Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #24 on: August 29, 2004, 07:18:12 AM »

For all those California readers what is the scoop on:

The world premiere of Andrew Lippa and Brian Crawley's Broadway-aimed musical A Little Princess begins at TheatreWorks in Mountain View, California, Aug. 25.

Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #25 on: August 29, 2004, 07:26:16 AM »

With the new cast replacements for Sly Fox,(Which I saw on my recent NYC trip with most of the original vast) I didn't think the show would run and I was right. It is closing today. Two weeks after the new cast went in. Interesting sideline my mother had tickets for next weekend and they called back to say they wouldn't be performing that weekend, but didn't say that the show had closed!!
« Last Edit: August 29, 2004, 07:31:01 AM by Michael Shayne »
Never stop dreaming.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #26 on: August 29, 2004, 08:18:34 AM »

In today's notes, BK wrote...
...the big news is a new song is going in Thursday night, if Tammy has learned it and is comfortable....We’re going to learn and block it over a couple of days early in the week....I just haven’t been happy with the way Joshua Noveck has been playing, despite the fact that Tammy has gotten really good in it.... I’ve been working on its replacement for a week-and-a-half and finished it yesterday. We sang through it last night and Tammy really likes it. It’s lots of words to learn, but she’s used to this sort of thing....It tells a good story, I think, and the tune is very catchy – Tammy can basically remember it completely even though she’s only heard it twice. I’ll keep you posted on its progress.
Very good news, indeed!  Tammy is proving to be a real professional, flexible and hard-working.  I'm impressed!
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Panni

« Reply #27 on: August 29, 2004, 08:25:39 AM »

There was a new dog at the dog park this morning. He and Abie had a great time. But the surprising thing is that this dog was a "red lab." (Not a Communist -- a color.)  Not chocolate or black or white, but "red"... Actually a sort of tan color, but on the reddish side. I spoke to his owner and he's a purebred lab.  
Did some research just now and they're actually called fox red labradors. Your factoid for the day, DRs.
If you want to see a photo - there are a series of "regular lab" photos on this site, leading up to - TAH-DAH - the red one.

FOX RED LABS
« Last Edit: August 29, 2004, 09:07:31 AM by Panni »

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #28 on: August 29, 2004, 08:44:23 AM »

Whew!

There read yesterday's posts, looked at all the photos, and followed the links.  I am smarter, happier, and funnier than I was before I did so.  I am NOT thinner, but then you can't have everything.  No HHW does NOT make you thinner....do not believe those infomercials that tell you it does.  It does however make your hair shiny and more manageable!
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #29 on: August 29, 2004, 08:52:34 AM »

Laura Branigan....very sad.  Yes her song "Gloria" was very catchy and I liked listening to it!

I followed the link and bought the David P------- CD!  Always wanted a CD of a guy singing these songs.  And the sound bytes sounded OKAY.

Jose and Panni are keeping pretty good company in that list of notables!

DRJOSE are you and your camera going to be anywhere near North Orange Grove Avenue in order to photograph the famous Allison Hayes house?   I will send you a link to a map if you think you can take the time.   It's a couple of blocks north of Hollywood Blvd and a few blocks west of Laurel Canyon Blvd.  The address is 1757 North Orange Ave.  It is a small one bedroom house built in 1950.

Went to a wedding yesterday.  Very nice.  Nice dinner afterwards.  Today, recording some "telephone" answering machine lines for THE NERD and then attending a board meeting.  I don't think I will be home in time for CHAT....again....grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.....

Anyway.....
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Up