Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: TAKING THE BULL BY THE HORNS  (Read 4895 times)

Ben

Re: TAKING THE BULL BY THE HORNS
« Reply #60 on: August 11, 2014, 10:01:57 AM »

And

Demi Tasse

takes us to Page 3

Ben

« Reply #61 on: August 11, 2014, 10:02:30 AM »

I'm sure Sing can give us many other names

I'll close with

Rhea Ranged

Druxy

• druxmanworks.com
« Reply #62 on: August 11, 2014, 10:08:08 AM »

THE END OF MOVIE THEATERS?

I just found this FORBES article on-line. I'm no psychic, but I've been predicting something like this would happen for years.

Netflix is working mightily to expand its reach worldwide, so far including Latin America, Canada, and the U.K., with Europe next up at bat. When Netflix is done, people in every part of the world will be its customers, and those customers will be able to toggle what language they want to watch a film in. This trend corresponds to the shrinking of the piracy window (the time between the theatrical window and the home video window), so by the time Netflix has a worldwide reach, it will also probably be available day and date with the theatrical release.

This trend will have a huge effect on how independent films are financed. Right now, independent filmmakers raise funds by selling their films through “pre-sales” on a country-by-country basis to local distributors, but a worldwide VOD reach will rip the heart out of these sales, because it will destroy the value of DVD and pay TV rights to the local distributors. The net result will be that independent films will be financed by pre-sales to Netflix, not the local distributors. Instead of going to the Cannes Film Festival, filmmakers could be going to Las Vegas for a digital convention in order to pre-sell VOD rights to Netflix. Indeed, Netflix will likely expand from creating original series to creating its own large budget films, with the initial premiere on-line. Netflix may be a vibrant, important source of new financing that disrupts the studio system and bypasses standard distribution channels.

This trend will also change how films are watched and how theaters compete. In order to compete against collapsing windows and high-def, surround-sound, home entertainment centers, theaters are going to have to offer a better experience, and a big part of this is going to be 4D seats, which move to match the film (where you feel like you are flying when a jet is onscreen), and 3D sound, which seems to come from different angles at different times around you, like raindrops falling near you. I have experienced both of these, and the results are astounding. Theaters are going to have to get on this bandwagon or be relegated to bowling alley locations.
You can dream…or you can do.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #63 on: August 11, 2014, 10:22:40 AM »

4D seats, the thought alone makes me motion sick.  I hope it doesn't feel like being in a plane.

singdaw

• Someone in a tree
    • David's Facebook Page
« Reply #64 on: August 11, 2014, 11:37:05 AM »

I just come here for the novelty coffee mugs and their trenchant commentary on the little ironies of everyday life.

singdaw

• Someone in a tree
    • David's Facebook Page
« Reply #65 on: August 11, 2014, 11:38:09 AM »

4-D seats, combined with Smell-O-Vision: THEN you would feel like you were really there!!!
I just come here for the novelty coffee mugs and their trenchant commentary on the little ironies of everyday life.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #66 on: August 11, 2014, 11:38:48 AM »

Let's just all dance right through Monday.

Let's "Conga"!
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #67 on: August 11, 2014, 11:49:39 AM »

Other names:

Plenty O'Toole

Hedda Lettuce

Cherry Pitts
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

ChasSmith

« Reply #68 on: August 11, 2014, 11:53:51 AM »

And of course those old favorites...

Ben Dover

and certain related others not suitable for a family site!    :)

Laura

« Reply #69 on: August 11, 2014, 11:55:44 AM »

Ben Dover

Or a church registration site!
"Your lucky number is 7. You will soar to great heights. Be sure to ride The Cyclone."
                                                           -- The Amazing Karnak

Laura

« Reply #70 on: August 11, 2014, 11:56:07 AM »

Thanks, everyone. I will now test register using funny names.
"Your lucky number is 7. You will soar to great heights. Be sure to ride The Cyclone."
                                                           -- The Amazing Karnak

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #71 on: August 11, 2014, 12:08:27 PM »

Druxy, I shouldn't worry too much about it - they've been predicting the end of movie theaters since TV began.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #72 on: August 11, 2014, 12:08:58 PM »

I fell back asleep at four-thirty and slept till noon, so almost eight hours.  But now the entire morning is gone.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #73 on: August 11, 2014, 12:09:14 PM »

You're registering under several aliases? Do you work in politics?
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

ChasSmith

« Reply #74 on: August 11, 2014, 12:12:35 PM »

You're registering under several aliases? Do you work in politics?

And will you be doing funny walks for each of your identities?

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #75 on: August 11, 2014, 12:18:45 PM »

Cannot fall asleep.  But that resulted in seeing a wonderful e-mail from my pal Bruce Vilanch, who will be our guest star for our anniversary show.  So happy.

Great news, BK!  Congrats!
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
« Reply #76 on: August 11, 2014, 12:18:47 PM »

Ima Hogg

“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

George

« Reply #77 on: August 11, 2014, 12:19:11 PM »

Good morning, all! I finally decided that staying in bed forever was not the solution, so I am dressed, the bed is made, and i will sn head down to Toyland to schlep some things home.

I had some bad news on Saturday that sent me into a talspin: I've been working on scanning the JUBILEE full scores in hopes that funding might be raised to record the show or that Encores! at some point will do it, but I was told Encores! will never perform the show because the woman running City Center knows nothing about musicals and rejects all shows she does not know, which is most of them. So, by Sunday morning, my attitude was, maybe i should stop scanning the scores and just throw the whole mess into the garbage; it's clearly never after nearly 30 years, going to do anything for my vanishing career, so WTF?

On a more positive note than something I once did really well gathering dust, I'm getting out of Dodge ASAP. I will carry a few more items hme from Toyland today, and I hope to have all the heavy lifting finished by Labor Day. I will call Bruce Pomahac today and see if I can get some help transferring the DEAREST ENEMY materials back to Rodgers & Hammerstein.

DR John G, I wonder if Luca Della Casa is related to the wonderful opera star Lisa Della Casa?

~~~Vibes of Comfort for Larry!!~~~
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

John G.

« Reply #78 on: August 11, 2014, 12:19:12 PM »

Belle Poitrine
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

George

« Reply #79 on: August 11, 2014, 12:19:38 PM »

Helen Highwater

Tiffany Lamp

Ura Pigg

I remember reading years ago in Reader's Digest a page that listed funny names that were supposed to be actual peoples' names.  The only one that I can remember is Ima Junebug.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #80 on: August 11, 2014, 12:21:00 PM »

BIG NEWS in the Indianapolis Television Market:

WISH-TV, Channel 8 - which has been a CBS affiliate since 1956 (it carried CBS and NBC programs the local affiliates of those networks declined to carry in the early 1950's)....will lose that affiliation in January 1, 2015, when CBS moves to WTTV, Channel 4.

Channel 4 was locally owned for decades and had studios in Bloomington and Indianapolis....then the Sarkes Tarzian family sold the station and there is almost NO local programming broadcast by WTTV.....in the fifties there were several children's programs, local sports casts, and local variety shows on Channel 4.

So WISH TV Channel 8 will have NO network affiliation.  The CW which is now broadcast on WTTV Channel 4 will move to Channel 4.2.

Of course WTTV and WTHR Channel 59, the local Fox Network station are owned by the same corporation, so who knows what will happen there....
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

John G.

« Reply #81 on: August 11, 2014, 12:21:53 PM »

THE END OF MOVIE THEATERS?

I just found this FORBES article on-line. I'm no psychic, but I've been predicting something like this would happen for years.

Netflix is working mightily to expand its reach worldwide, so far including Latin America, Canada, and the U.K., with Europe next up at bat. When Netflix is done, people in every part of the world will be its customers, and those customers will be able to toggle what language they want to watch a film in. This trend corresponds to the shrinking of the piracy window (the time between the theatrical window and the home video window), so by the time Netflix has a worldwide reach, it will also probably be available day and date with the theatrical release.

This trend will have a huge effect on how independent films are financed. Right now, independent filmmakers raise funds by selling their films through “pre-sales” on a country-by-country basis to local distributors, but a worldwide VOD reach will rip the heart out of these sales, because it will destroy the value of DVD and pay TV rights to the local distributors. The net result will be that independent films will be financed by pre-sales to Netflix, not the local distributors. Instead of going to the Cannes Film Festival, filmmakers could be going to Las Vegas for a digital convention in order to pre-sell VOD rights to Netflix. Indeed, Netflix will likely expand from creating original series to creating its own large budget films, with the initial premiere on-line. Netflix may be a vibrant, important source of new financing that disrupts the studio system and bypasses standard distribution channels.

This trend will also change how films are watched and how theaters compete. In order to compete against collapsing windows and high-def, surround-sound, home entertainment centers, theaters are going to have to offer a better experience, and a big part of this is going to be 4D seats, which move to match the film (where you feel like you are flying when a jet is onscreen), and 3D sound, which seems to come from different angles at different times around you, like raindrops falling near you. I have experienced both of these, and the results are astounding. Theaters are going to have to get on this bandwagon or be relegated to bowling alley locations.

I can see it happening, but I also enjoyed being part of a close-to-full house Sunday for "The Hundred-Foot Journey." Yes, the woman next to me would not stop talking or commenting on every action, but it was good to be with other people for the shared experience.
― Voltaire

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #82 on: August 11, 2014, 12:23:44 PM »

This printing job is 83% finished. It's been running since 11:15!

Oy.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #83 on: August 11, 2014, 12:24:08 PM »

Some of the official scuttlebutt:

On Monday, August 11, 2014, it was announced that WISH would be losing it's CBS affiliation of 58 years to Tribune Media's CW-affiliated WTTV, after Tribune and CBS made a new affiliation agreement that would begin on January 1, 2015. This deal is reportedly a result of WISH balking at CBS' demands for reverse retransmission consent compensation from their affiliates. This is the second time in Indianapolis television history that WTTV took an affiliation from WISH, the first being ABC in 1956. It's being reported, that WISH, will revert to Independent status, on January 1st, 2015. The same day WTTV will join CBS.

singdaw

• Someone in a tree
    • David's Facebook Page
« Reply #84 on: August 11, 2014, 01:23:44 PM »

I determined that we get Antenna TV on our cable system, so I tuned in earlier and encountered this fellow on The Patty Duke Show:

He is Murray Rose, an Australian who won four Olympic gold medal in swimming before becoming an actor.

John G.

« Reply #85 on: August 11, 2014, 01:26:11 PM »

I determined that we get Antenna TV on our cable system, so I tuned in earlier and encountered this fellow on The Patty Duke Show:

He is Murray Rose, an Australian who won four Olympic gold medal in swimming before becoming an actor.

I would assume MBarnum could fill in many details about his career.
― Voltaire

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #86 on: August 11, 2014, 01:34:35 PM »

Ben Dover

Or a church registration site!

;D

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #87 on: August 11, 2014, 02:00:12 PM »

He's like this guy Richard Tyler, who started on Broadway, and was a child actor in movies.....he played the boy who boxed with Ingrid Bergman in THE BELLS OF ST MARY'S.

You can see him when COZI Tv reruns the sixth season of The Danny Thomas Show (they just started with Season Four....the widower season) when he plays Buck the high school boyfriend of Gina Minelli (Annette Funicello) on her six episode arc of the show.

Laura

« Reply #88 on: August 11, 2014, 02:00:44 PM »

Holy cow, am I finding a lot of typos on this test site.
                                                           -- The Amazing Karnak

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #89 on: August 11, 2014, 02:01:14 PM »

Mr. Rose died a couple of years ago at age 73 (born in 1939)

If you ever happen to find the Tonight Show, April 3, 1971, you might see this fellow, also the winner of four Gold Medals in Olympic swimming:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Up