Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: DAMN NOTES  (Read 3593 times)

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
Re: DAMN NOTES
« Reply #60 on: April 07, 2015, 01:43:41 PM »

I will soon be headed to the "goof" rehearsal for ANTIGONE....whatever that is.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Ben

« Reply #61 on: April 07, 2015, 01:56:17 PM »

From DR George:
All the books that I downloaded are still there because it doesn't sync up with Amazon and OverDrive to turn them in and remove them from my Kindle.

Don't you return your library books?

I decided I do not like using my kindle app on my Nook and will only do so if it is the only way to read the book, or Keith already purchased it.

I return my physical (paper) books, of course, but whether my Wi-Fi is turned on or not, the e-books that I check out from the library for my Kindle are automatically "checked in" in OverDrive when my loan period is over and the next patron DOES get to check them out.  That happens even when I don't sync up my Kindle through Wi-Fi and the e-books aren't actually deleted from my Kindle.  Those are two separate functions.

I always click on the return/delete button when I finish reading.  I think only once or twice has the library actually had to take the book back.

It might be that way because you have a Kindle app on a Nook and I have an actual Kindle.  The problem with OverDrive is that (maybe it's for Kindle e-books) once an e-book is checked out, it cannot be checked back in or returned.  It's no longer available for any other patrons until YOUR checkout loan period has expired, even if you finished the e-book very quickly.  It's not an option at all.

The Overdrive thing only applies to Kindle books. I use Overdrive and I take e-pub files. They have a return option. If you take the file as a Kindle, you're correct, you can't return the book but you can return an e-pub file anytime. Anthony ran into that problem because one of the libraries he uses has a limit of 5 e-books. He reached that limit and because all the books were Kindle files he couldn't return the books and he couldn't take any more out from that library until the lending period was over.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #62 on: April 07, 2015, 02:01:01 PM »

DR George, do you have Netflix?  They have both the Broadway Archive TARTUFFE and the F.W, Murnau German silent film. which id like to see.

I hadn't thought about that.  I'll check it out when I get home. :)
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
« Reply #63 on: April 07, 2015, 02:06:40 PM »

Home from City Center.  I have two numbers "The Bend In the Road" and "The Top of the Hill."

I will be a mess at the reading next week.  I always cry during "The Butterfly" and "Happy Birthday."

They get to me, too.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #64 on: April 07, 2015, 02:08:32 PM »

Good to see you, DR Kate.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #65 on: April 07, 2015, 02:09:07 PM »

TOD 2:

Would Robin and Marian qualify? I always get weepy at the end of that.

And most any version of Show Boat.
― Voltaire

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #66 on: April 07, 2015, 02:10:36 PM »

DR Ben I use my Overdrive app to access my library.  It works for both e-pub & kindle.

Jane

« Reply #67 on: April 07, 2015, 02:11:00 PM »

It is snowing.  I was smart to chose today to rest my foot and not walk.

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #68 on: April 07, 2015, 02:16:18 PM »

Hello, everyone.

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #69 on: April 07, 2015, 02:18:05 PM »

I am home from the dentist. Just a cleaning today, especially needed after all that was done to  my mouth last week. (I'm sparing you all the gory details.)

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #70 on: April 07, 2015, 02:19:25 PM »

I hope that DRs Elmore, TCB, and Jane are having a better day today.

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #71 on: April 07, 2015, 02:21:39 PM »

Just call me Sam Spade.....I have solved the mystery.

My mater, who did alterations for many years, tells me that as the waist size in jeans and trousers increases....the "bottom" is bigger so that the crotch is lower.  So if you wore size 32/32 jeans.....if you buy the larger waist....say 38 or 40.....you inseam will be short because your zipper is closer to the ground.

Hence my new jeans that I bought yesterday.....40/30 fit perfectly....even a bit loose, which is nice.

Interesting point. I hadn't thought about that.

I'm glad that JRand has found a pair of jeans that fit so well. One of life's pleasures.

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #72 on: April 07, 2015, 02:22:38 PM »

You could have told them "tomorrow."

:D

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #73 on: April 07, 2015, 02:29:27 PM »

Is there something I'm missing on this Kindle stuff? When you "borrow" a book an electronic copy is sent to your Kindle/computer. Clearly, no one needs to "return" an electronic copy so another person can "borrow" it. That's just a little conceit set up by the system designers. But why, is my question. Do they not want too many copies out there? There may indeed be a good reason for this, but it just seems unnecessarily complicated to me.

Does anyone know the rationale?

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #74 on: April 07, 2015, 02:32:06 PM »

On the subject of food (a favorite HHW topic), I just tried some Milton's crackers. They're really good! I've always liked Milton's whole-grain bread, but didn't know they made crackers, too. Not gluten-free, unfortunately, but tasty.

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #75 on: April 07, 2015, 02:33:18 PM »

TTFN.

Jane

« Reply #76 on: April 07, 2015, 02:38:12 PM »

I hope that DRs Elmore, TCB, and Jane are having a better day today.

Thank you.  I am having a lazy day and reading.  I hate not walking and hope it makes a difference.

Jane

« Reply #77 on: April 07, 2015, 02:39:10 PM »

On the subject of food (a favorite HHW topic), I just tried some Milton's crackers. They're really good! I've always liked Milton's whole-grain bread, but didn't know they made crackers, too. Not gluten-free, unfortunately, but tasty.

I am eating some right now.

Jane

« Reply #78 on: April 07, 2015, 02:42:10 PM »

I will have to try the Milton's bread after we move.  I could not eat an entire loaf before then.

Jane

« Reply #79 on: April 07, 2015, 02:45:21 PM »

Is there something I'm missing on this Kindle stuff? When you "borrow" a book an electronic copy is sent to your Kindle/computer. Clearly, no one needs to "return" an electronic copy so another person can "borrow" it. That's just a little conceit set up by the system designers. But why, is my question. Do they not want too many copies out there? There may indeed be a good reason for this, but it just seems unnecessarily complicated to me.

My guess is the publishers control this and libraries.  I understand the reasoning.  Libraries would never need to purchase more than one book if everyone could download it at the same time. 

George

« Reply #80 on: April 07, 2015, 03:07:30 PM »

My guess is the publishers control this and libraries.  I understand the reasoning.  Libraries would never need to purchase more than one book if everyone could download it at the same time. 

Exactly.
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #81 on: April 07, 2015, 03:08:45 PM »

Worked with Jenna, and that went well.  Will now go get something to eat with Sami and mom, then we will have at least a two-hour work session, maybe three.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #82 on: April 07, 2015, 03:09:02 PM »

Very cold here today and looks like rain.

George

« Reply #83 on: April 07, 2015, 03:11:23 PM »

From DR George:
All the books that I downloaded are still there because it doesn't sync up with Amazon and OverDrive to turn them in and remove them from my Kindle.

I decided I do not like using my kindle app on my Nook and will only do so if it is the only way to read the book, or Keith already purchased it.

DR George is very odd. He never turns on his wifi which I still don't understand. He puts his e-books on his kindle through his computer.  This is impractical for people who need to use their wifi or who have tons of e-books. My favorite part about e-books is that i just turn on the wifi and the books appear. I absolutely hate having to plug in my kindle to my computer to put e-books on that way.

Jennifer, you are correct in that it is impractical for people who need (or even just want) to use their Wi-Fi, but I don't.  My Kindle is only a book reader, so I don't need the Wi-Fi for anything else.  I also don't ever search for titles on my Kindle.  I prefer to search my library's OverDrive site (or Amazon, if I'm actually going to purchase a title) and I am always on a computer when I do that.  I also need to plug in my Kindle to charge the battery.  Since that happens at the same time, I don't have to charge my Kindle separately.  I realize that you want the convenience of not having to tether your device to a computer, but I don't find it an inconvenience...for me, it's a preference. :)
« Last Edit: April 07, 2015, 03:12:54 PM by George »

George

« Reply #84 on: April 07, 2015, 03:19:37 PM »

From DR George:

I return my physical (paper) books, of course, but whether my Wi-Fi is turned on or not, the e-books that I check out from the library for my Kindle are automatically "checked in" in OverDrive when my loan period is over and the next patron DOES get to check them out.  That happens even when I don't sync up my Kindle through Wi-Fi and the e-books aren't actually deleted from my Kindle.  Those are two separate functions.

I always click on the return/delete button when I finish reading.  I think only once or twice has the library actually had to take the book back.

I don't borrow e-books from the library. But i do borrow a lot of lendable kindle e-books from friends through amazon. I always return the e-book as soon as i finish reading it. But i find it easier to do it on my computer/through my amazon account. I just delete it and it gets returned immediately.

Our library has a limit of eight downloads at any one time.  I really like Jim Butcher's "The Dresden Files" series.  There are two different 6-book downloads...6 complete books in one download which count as one title in regards to our eight title limit.  I absolutely cannot read all six books in the longest check-out period, which for us is 21 days.  Since I never sync up with Wi-Fi, I have both of these 6-book downloads on my Kindle and can take however long I need to take to read them.  Since they aren't removed from my Kindle because I don't turn on my Wi-Fi, I set my check-out period to one week so that I'm not officially keeping the title from other patrons for any longer than I have to.  I've read nine books in "The Dresden Files" so far, and have three left, but I've had them on my Kindle since last year.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2015, 03:21:16 PM by George »

George

« Reply #85 on: April 07, 2015, 03:20:22 PM »

I hope I'm not beating a dead horse with this. ;)

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #86 on: April 07, 2015, 03:44:14 PM »

I've finished my Joshie assignment, and I have to think about dinner.

I'm going in late to City Center tomorrow.  Joshie has asked me to see ON THE TOWN with him tomorrow night.  Our friend John Bell is conducting.  I look forward to seeing it again,
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #87 on: April 07, 2015, 03:47:44 PM »

DR Jeanne, at the moment I do not feel great: too much vitamin C and Tylenol with codeine but this will do till I see someone next week at the NYU dental clinic.

I'm a bit sleepy at the moment, but I've been on the go for 12 hours now and it's time to chill for a but.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Jane

« Reply #88 on: April 07, 2015, 04:43:37 PM »

From DR George:

I don't borrow e-books from the library. But i do borrow a lot of lendable kindle e-books from friends through amazon. I always return the e-book as soon as i finish reading it. But i find it easier to do it on my computer/through my amazon account. I just delete it and it gets returned immediately.

Our library has a limit of eight downloads at any one time.  I really like Jim Butcher's "The Dresden Files" series.  There are two different 6-book downloads...6 complete books in one download which count as one title in regards to our eight title limit.  I absolutely cannot read all six books in the longest check-out period, which for us is 21 days.  Since I never sync up with Wi-Fi, I have both of these 6-book downloads on my Kindle and can take however long I need to take to read them.  Since they aren't removed from my Kindle because I don't turn on my Wi-Fi, I set my check-out period to one week so that I'm not officially keeping the title from other patrons for any longer than I have to.  I've read nine books in "The Dresden Files" so far, and have three left, but I've had them on my Kindle since last year.

I put the first 6 books on my wish list.  I don't have any holds left. 

So they don't actually need to take your book back to give it to the next person.  I'm relieved to know this.  I automatically check everything out for 21 days but I usually return books sooner than that. 

Jane

« Reply #89 on: April 07, 2015, 04:44:29 PM »

I hope I'm not beating a dead horse with this. ;)

No, and I just learned two new bits of info including a new book to read.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Up