Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: DAMN NOTES  (Read 3590 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
DAMN NOTES
« on: April 07, 2015, 12:06:42 AM »

Well, you've read the notes, the notes were damn notes, and now it is time for you to post until the damn cows come home.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re: DAMN NOTES
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2015, 12:07:25 AM »

And the word of the day is: ANFRACTUOUS!

Ben

« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2015, 02:31:17 AM »

Morning all.

That is all.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2015, 04:29:57 AM »

Good morning, all!  It is another day of running about.  I will get to my accountant this morning and deal with a tax inquiry. Then, City Center, where Joshie has workwatng for me.  I believe he and Rob will be off at an "ethnic orchestra" rehearsal with the bazouki and other Greek instruments for ZORBA.

DR George, I am very fond of Tartuffe, but it's really one of Moliere's more serious comedies.  There used to be on VHS a production from the Royal shakespeare Cmpany with Anthony Sher that was quite good; it's never shown up on DVD.

This one's also very good:
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0228925/?ref_=fn_al_tt_3

"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2015, 04:45:38 AM »

Good morning, all.

Elmore, I hope you're feeling better.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2015, 04:46:23 AM »

Good morning, all!  It is another day of running about.  I will get to my accountant this morning and deal with a tax inquiry. Then, City Center, where Joshie has workwatng for me.  I believe he and Rob will be off at an "ethnic orchestra" rehearsal with the bazouki and other Greek instruments for ZORBA.

DR George, I am very fond of Tartuffe, but it's really one of Moliere's more serious comedies.  There used to be on VHS a production from the Royal shakespeare Cmpany with Anthony Sher that was quite good; it's never shown up on DVD.

This one's also very good:
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0228925/?ref_=fn_al_tt_3

I've got that version of Tartuffe with Donald Moffett. Haven't had the time to watch it yet. Maybe later this week.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2015, 04:48:23 AM »

TOD:

Eve's Bayou
Written on the Wind
Magnificent Obsession
― Voltaire

Michael

« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2015, 04:49:21 AM »

good morning to all
Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2015, 04:49:53 AM »

day off.

teeth cleaning in 40 minutes
Never stop dreaming.

Laura

« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2015, 05:02:07 AM »

Good morning.
"The last time those pirates were here, they stole our honey, and we had to eat unsweetened yogurt for a week!"
                                                                -- Tiger Lily

Michael

« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2015, 05:17:16 AM »

I saw Married To Broadway last night.
Great singers all and one of the best versions of Music of The Night (and I'v heard many, many version of the years) But the who thing is crying out for a reality tv series. What follows is mostly true.

There was husband and wife who met doing Les Miz (Original run), their daughter, the protege, the competitor (and last minute replacement for the originally booked singer) who replaced the husband in Les Miz and then was replaced by the husband. Finally there was the mistress (as it was joked) who was the first American to play Eponine in the original Broadway version and worked with the husband and wife.. The husband and wife also were producers of Tale of Two Cities which the mistress appeared and the original booked singer was also in, but he was currently playing the title role in long running musical and I guess couldn't get out to appear in the show. The protege has been studying voice with the husband and wife since he was nine and (in at least my version) is dating the daughter although he might be gay. They all live together in one big house in New Jersey and when they need to get into NYC they are driven across the river in a tug boat by the protege who also is a tug boat captain. Also at home are two identical twin boys (Think Full House) with a grandma who acts and looks younger than her years. There is also 12 year son who is an right wing arch conservative
Never stop dreaming.

Kerry

« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2015, 05:50:06 AM »

Good Morning.  And it's Tuesday, too.
I like boat races.

ChasSmith

« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2015, 05:56:24 AM »

Good morning, all.

Good damn morning.

ChasSmith

« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2015, 06:07:00 AM »

TOD

I don't know any of them all that well, but I could probably enjoy all the Sirks when in the right mood. 

My first, or only, memory of watching one prior to my adult life was seeing IMITATION OF LIFE at a drive-in with my family, which I always remembered being at the Lauderdale Drive-In on Broward Blvd.  (I knew you'd want to know that.)  As a kid, I probably wasn't following the story all that closely, but I always remembered the scene at Coney Island, and Juanita Moore made a big impression on me.  I am looking at IMDb now, and she just died last year, on January 1st, 2014.  And you know when she was born?  I'll tell you, since I'm looking right at it.  October 19th, 1914.  One hundred years, folks.  Nearly a hundred and one.

I have to admit that what turned my attention to Sirk's films in recent years was seeing Todd Haynes' FAR FROM HEAVEN, after which I watched ALL THAT HEAVEN ALLOWS which I'd probably only seen in childhood on the TV.  It's all great stuff.  I hope somebody lists some good sudsers other than Sirk's, because I'm blank on any right now.  (Coffee!)

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2015, 06:18:52 AM »

DR MIKE that story makes me dizzy.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

ChasSmith

« Reply #15 on: April 07, 2015, 06:30:43 AM »

I trust DR Elmore is fighting off whatever he felt he was coming down with yesterday?

That's both a question and vibes that it is so!    :)

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #16 on: April 07, 2015, 06:43:37 AM »

I trust DR Elmore is fighting off whatever he felt he was coming down with yesterday?

That's both a question and vibes that it is so!    :)

I am actually procrastinating, DR ChasSmith. I have too much to accomplish this week before the Encores! orchestra readthrough on Tuesday.  Joshie needs my help this week.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #17 on: April 07, 2015, 06:44:02 AM »

Greetings from Toyland!  Nice to have the internet back up.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #18 on: April 07, 2015, 06:46:06 AM »

Work is good DR ELMORE.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #19 on: April 07, 2015, 06:48:48 AM »

Just call me Sam Spade.....I have solved the mystery.

My mater, who did alterations for many years, tells me that as the waist size in jeans and trousers increases....the "bottom" is bigger so that the crotch is lower.  So if you wore size 32/32 jeans.....if you buy the larger waist....say 38 or 40.....you inseam will be short because your zipper is closer to the ground.

Hence my new jeans that I bought yesterday.....40/30 fit perfectly....even a bit loose, which is nice.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #20 on: April 07, 2015, 06:58:01 AM »

Well, I have never met a sudser that I didn't like......so I will just name a few:

Imitation of Life (1959) for reasons that MR BK wrote about in the notes and DR CHAS SMITH mentioned in his post.

Madame X - a Ross Hunter production with Miss Lana Turner is outstanding!  She also did Portrait in Black with Hunter which wasn't quite as good, but it did have Anna May Wong....and Sandra Dee and John Saxon.

A Summer Place, Rome Adventure, Susan Slade, Parrish - all Delmer Daves-Warner Bros. Spectaculars that starred Mr Troy Donahue.  His leading ladies included Susan Pleshette, Connie Stevens, Sandra Dee, and Diane McBain.

Youngblood Hawke, another Delmer Daves special this one starring Mr. Novak himself, James Franciscus and Pleshette and Genevieve Page, who needed a English dialog coach....I can't understand hardly anything she is saying.  She is beautiful though.

Page doesn't talk much in this trailer - but she makes Eva Gabor sound like John Gielgud.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NJ7s_z4V40Q
« Last Edit: April 07, 2015, 08:43:47 AM by Jrand64 »

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #21 on: April 07, 2015, 06:59:22 AM »

Also the other Sirk Universals:

Written on the Wind
All That Heaven Allows
Magnificent Obsession

ChasSmith

« Reply #22 on: April 07, 2015, 07:00:34 AM »

In other news, I just accepted a short gig playing for a couple of singers performing songs from MAN OF LA MANCHA for a fundraiser Sunday afternoon. 

The venue, about a 45-minute drive from here, sounds interesting:  http://thegarytheolivia.com/  -- and I remember how our musical director for SHE LOVES ME was especially happy to have landed that post for their LA MANCHA in August.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2015, 07:27:03 AM by ChasSmith »

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #23 on: April 07, 2015, 07:10:48 AM »

Sounds like fun DR CHAS SMITH!

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #24 on: April 07, 2015, 07:23:21 AM »

And farewell to Toyland!  I am off to City Center now.

Ginny

« Reply #25 on: April 07, 2015, 07:27:37 AM »

Tuesday morning greetings!  Just a quick peek in before I leave for Dayton to have lunch with my grantwriter friends.  I haven't seen them since early December.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

ChasSmith

« Reply #26 on: April 07, 2015, 07:27:55 AM »

I can't wait to hear those "ethnic" instruments!

Ginny

« Reply #27 on: April 07, 2015, 07:28:41 AM »

And farewell to Toyland!  I am off to City Center now.

Have a good day, DR Elmore!  I'd love to be there for ZORBA...
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Ginny

« Reply #28 on: April 07, 2015, 07:36:32 AM »

Bye for now!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #29 on: April 07, 2015, 07:38:29 AM »

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Up