Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Down

Author Topic: COLUMBUS DAY?  (Read 17742 times)

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
Re:COLUMBUS DAY?
« Reply #120 on: October 11, 2004, 09:07:33 PM »

Not true.  BK showed up.  He was railing against cellphone use.

I'm getting bleary-eyed--I first read that as "He was railing against cellophane use.

And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #121 on: October 11, 2004, 09:10:27 PM »

Page Five Dance

Hmmm...I just noticed the second guy from the left.  What show did he wander in from?
« Last Edit: October 11, 2004, 09:12:42 PM by Dan (the Man) »
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Jenny

• May we come to trust the dreams we must fulfill.
« Reply #122 on: October 11, 2004, 09:42:18 PM »

I am poking my head in to announce that I am not entering an errant and truant spree, but I merely haven't posted in a few days because I've been terribly busy.  I saw "Opening Doors" on friday night, and I wasn't particularly impressed by it.  It was terribly morbid, and I imagine that the show will feel much more appropriate after Sondheim has passed away.  As he is quite alive, it seems strange to do such a tribute-y tribute.  All of the solos and small group numbers performed sounded lovely, but the songs that used all five singers weren't mixed well, causing the melody line to be all but lost.  Also, many of Sondheim's greatest songs are really cheapened when performed out of context (such as a few songs from "Passion" and "Sweeney").  Also, most everyone who is going to see this concert is already a Sondheim fan, so the interpretations (in my humble opinion) should reflect the show that the song is from while still being exciting, new, and worth presenting.  It's a perfectly enjoyable concert, but outside of being a great reminder of how wonderful all these songs are, I really don't think that it was anything special.

As I am under age, I really have nothing to say about today's TOD.

For those of you who were in last week's chat and are aware of my stalker situation, I basically informed him this evening that I consider his behavior stalking which made him terribly sad and embarrassed.  As I do care about him because he was my very close friend for a long time, I hate to know that I'm the cause of any hurt for him.  Despite some terrible things he did to me, I don't want to lose his friendship nor do I want to hurt him.  I also don't want to feel threatened by him anymore.  It's such a very strange situation.
"I am always thinking of myself, and I expect everyone else to do the same.  That is what is called sympathy." -Oscar Wilde

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #123 on: October 11, 2004, 09:45:13 PM »

Not true.  BK showed up.  He was railing against cellphone use.

I wasn't clear. I meant that he initially forgot, then remembered when reminded by one of the DRs in a post.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #124 on: October 11, 2004, 10:56:03 PM »

But he showed up, didn't he?  Unlike certain other people, oh, yes, he showed up unlike certain other people

Sometimes we must hurt people, dear Jenny, if it involves having comfort zones for ourselves.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #125 on: October 11, 2004, 11:00:50 PM »

Good Evening!

Whew!  All caught up on the posts from the past few days...  I was gonna take notes on the things I wanted to respond to... But I kept reading, I kept noticing that I forgot to jot something down, so...  But I shall try to remember a few things...

DR CharlesPogue - I love the name Tewkesbury (sp?).  I hope he becomes a most - well, more welcome addition to your household.

DR Jane - So glad to hear that you had a great time in NYC.  I never mentioned the banana pudding at Magnolia Bakery - I didn't even realize they had it.  But I did mention their cupcakes, and their Coconut Cake, and their Devil's Food Cake with Caramel Icing.  -And I'm glad you got a suite at The Wellington!  -I had a swell suite the last time I stayed there myself.  *I remember that stay vividly due to the fact that the couple next to me had some meat - yes, meat from a high end butcher - stolen from there room!  ?!?!?!?

BK - Your cough...  I was talking with a friend of mine who was recently dealing with a persistent nagging cough.  He finally went to the doctor and it turned out to be a combination of some sinus/nasal stuff, and acid reflux.  -A low level esophagitis.  AND, his doctor recommended him to refrain from his nightly jaccuzzi since the heat and steam and bubbles can sometimes "prompt" the acid reflux symptoms, since the heat literally warms up your stomach...  Sure enough, after two days of going jaccuzzi-less, his throat cleared up!  Hmmm...  -Just a theory...

DR elmore - So nice to see you posting again about whatever you post about! ;)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #126 on: October 11, 2004, 11:19:16 PM »

As for Houston...

I gave myself a little car tour around the immediate area around my hotel...  Lots of road construction.  But we seem to be located in a high-end part of town - at least from the various shops and restaurants nearby.  Needless MarkUp - I mean, Neiman Marcus.  A three-story(!) Crate & Barrel store.  Tons of designer boutiques.  P.F. Changs.  Smith & Wollensky.  Morton's.  Etc.  And there are some gorgeous houses too.

I found the Whole Foods.  I found Central Market - which is like Whole Foods on steroids!  Found the Target.  Found the Old Navy.  Found the Guitar Center - always good to know where the nearest music store is.  OH....

And I also drove by.. The Original House of Pies - !?!?!?!   It had the same sign, the same logo, etc.  I didn't venture inside, but something tells me I will be in the next few days.  Hmm.. Pie at rehearsal!!

I went to the rehearsal hall earlier today.  A wonderful facility.  There are a series of rehearsal rooms, and some of them even have "floating" acoustic ceilings that can be modified at the touch of some buttons according to what type of group is rehearsing in each room.

I met Fran Liebergal, the conductor.  I feel kind of honored to meet her.  Such history with the show.  She was the original pianist and associate conductor for the show.  And, if I'm remembering correctly, she was with the show throughout it's entire run.  While we were reviewing some cue todays - AND making corrections to the score - she would mention that "Well, Don Pippin always made sure..."... Very neat.  And, of course, having Baayork Lee directing and choreographing...  They are both "original cast" members of A Chorus Line.  Definitely a sense of history in the air.

I also got to meet some of my "very pretty" - as Baayork says - cast.  Looks like a fine bunch of people!  And I mean "fine".  ;)  I get to hear them starting off with the opening number tomorrow afternoon. - And rehearsals don't start until 1:00 (which is great, I get to sleep in).  We're also scheduled to hit one or two of the "Montages" as well as "Music and The Mirror".  Can you say, "Dive in!"?

-Oh, and Baayork was also filling me in her cast for her upcoming Cinderella at New York City Opera.  WOW!?!?! -I'm not sure if the casting has been publicly announced, so, I'm afraid I'm gonna have to refrain from announcing it here.  -Just want to be careful... But, still... WOW!
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #127 on: October 11, 2004, 11:34:27 PM »

Oh... I didn't actually leave Richmond until 1:30AM last night/yesterday/this morning!  I got into a packing AND cleaning AND cleaning(!) mode.  I actually made some great progress on and in my room.  And I even washed all my bed linens and towels so that I'll be able to come home to clean sheets and towels in four weeks.  I emptied out the old fridge.  I emptied out some old storage containers.  I dusted.  I vaccuumed.  I cleaned.

I almost considered just leaving for DC in the morning, but I went ahead and left at 1:30 just so that I could get some sleep up in Fairfax at my parents' house.

Well, since it was Columbus Day, and, consequently, a Federal Holiday, my mother and father were off from work.  When I got up, I was expecting to see them getting ready for work, but, nope, they were still in bed.  My mom did get up and make coffee, but my father stayed in bed.  I asked my Mom how my Dad was doing, and she said everything was fine.  He just got the latest batch of test results back, and it's the cancer is not at Stage Three.  -I guess they're working backwards.

On my way out of the house, I made a stop upstairs and said Bye to my dad... And then as I was getting ready to drive myself to the airport - my brother was going to pick up my car later at the airport later - my father ran out of the house, and offered to drive me.  So, he did.  That gesture made me feel very good about things.  And it also gave us some time alone.  We talked about my currents gigs, his current health, etc.  Everything is good.  It made coming out here to Houston a little less "preoccupied".

*Oh, and my second and final show of The Producers went very well.  There was still that one lick that eluded me, but, otherwise, I had a very good show - and the audience at the matinee was very good too - we were a little worried since the typical Richmond Sunday matinee audience is comprised of people going out after their Sunday morning church service, and since the humor in The Producers can be very "adult" at times... But they loved it!  All of it!  The gay jokes!  The Jewish jokes!  The Hitler jokes!  And they even got some of the more "in" theatre jokes!  OH!!!!

-Older, distinguished looking gentleman comes over to the pit at Intermission:

"So, where do you guys go after Richmond?

--"Oh, we're locals.  We don't travel with the show.  Only the conductor and drummer travel."

"Really?!?!?  You're locals?  Why you guys sounded so good, I thought you were "Professionals" down there?!?  I can't believe your locals?!?!?"

-"Umm... Thank You..."  (trying very hard not to roll my eyes or come back with some not-so-witty retorte)

;)

-And, I received a very nice "compliment" from the assistant conductor after the show.  He mentioned that they would be playing Raleigh in a few weeks, but that they hadn't yet lined up the local sub for that city, and would I be interested in coming down to play the show there?  :)  I would love to do it again - now that I can "relax" with the show, but it overlaps with the closing weekend of A Chorus Line here, so... But that "compliment" made my weekend.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #128 on: October 11, 2004, 11:39:19 PM »

And on the personal front...

In the midst of my packing and cleaning on Sunday night, Steve and I ended up getting together for dinner again.  I was getting hungry, and just wanted to take a break from the packing and cleaning.  I originally was planning to see my friend, Mark, but he got side-tracked at an Open House he was running that day - it seems he sold the house that day!  So, after he cancelled, I just decided to give Steve a call.  And we met for dinner at one of our old stand-bys.  It was a nice dinner.  Another very nice dinner.

Let's just say, that "something is in the air"... Again.  We shall see...

:)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #129 on: October 11, 2004, 11:45:23 PM »

As for libations... Like other DRs, I can go for months, even a year or two without having a "grown up beverage", but when I do:  Gin & Tonic (usually Tanqueray), Amaretto Sour, Whiskey Sour, Tequila Sunrise, White Russian, Black Russian, Scotch (single-malt, and usually with a single small "neat ice" cube in it - just enough to slightly chill it, and "water it down" just enough for me), beer (light, dark, wheat)... Wine... all depends.  Reds used to give me headaches, but then I "discovered" "good Reds".  White wines - steel-aged Chardonnays (I don't like drinking "oak"), Sancerre(!), Pinot Grigio, etc.  But still, I'd say I average 10 drinks a year.  Sometimes I have those ten drinks in a span of two weeks.  Othertimes, I have them over the span of the whole year.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #130 on: October 11, 2004, 11:46:13 PM »

Was that at least a "frenz"?
Make Your Own Luck.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #131 on: October 11, 2004, 11:58:05 PM »

Man, where in tarnation IS everyone?

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #132 on: October 11, 2004, 11:58:25 PM »

WUSSBURGERS have left us out to dry.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #133 on: October 11, 2004, 11:58:47 PM »

I wish I'd read your Jacuzzi theory prior to tonight's excursion.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #134 on: October 11, 2004, 11:59:48 PM »

Oh, well, the WUSSBURGERS have left us out to dry - not very sporting when you think about it.  

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #135 on: October 12, 2004, 12:00:07 AM »

Not very sporting at all.  Oh, well, new notes to post.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #136 on: October 12, 2004, 12:01:50 AM »

I wish I'd read your Jacuzzi theory prior to tonight's excursion.

Well, as Mr. Sondheim said in Merrily We Roll Along..."Now you know!"
Make Your Own Luck.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Up