Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: COLUMBUS DAY?  (Read 16585 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re:COLUMBUS DAY?
« Reply #60 on: October 11, 2004, 11:51:53 AM »

I don't like being out of control either, although I've never had a drink or drug in my life.  Sometimes my anger can get me totally out of control and I really don't like going to that place.  

I find it somewhat strange to be writing a Black horror film.  However, there are lots of Internet sites with lots of information which enables me to write lines like, "Don't start that fly gansta shit" and "Whaddup dog".  

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #61 on: October 11, 2004, 12:04:35 PM »

Hmm, BK, so I wonder if you'd be an angry, mean drunk or a silly, giddy drunk?  Guess we'll never know...

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #62 on: October 11, 2004, 12:04:37 PM »

"Whaddup dog".  

Abie says it's kind of you to inquire after his health and he is feeling fine and dandy, thank you.

Panni

« Reply #63 on: October 11, 2004, 12:11:35 PM »

I find it interesting that "bad" and "sick" mean "good."

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #64 on: October 11, 2004, 12:14:51 PM »

Aren't you suppose to roll your bearings around in your pocket

Is this a new term for polite society?
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #65 on: October 11, 2004, 01:06:59 PM »

Everytime I see DR Pogue's new family member mentioned here, I think of Joan Tewkesbury, the screenwriter of Nashville.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Panni

« Reply #66 on: October 11, 2004, 01:07:54 PM »

A test after importing from my new camera. Let's see if it works.

Panni

« Reply #67 on: October 11, 2004, 01:09:19 PM »

It worked! But I did it a roundabout way. I emailed it to myself, then posted. I don't know how to make the jpeg smaller yet within iPhoto.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #68 on: October 11, 2004, 01:19:49 PM »

Got caught up on TV recorded over the weekend, so no new DVDs today. I did get my confirmation that my THAT'S ENTERTAINMENT trilogy was in the mail (also SEVEN BRIDES special edition).
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #69 on: October 11, 2004, 01:20:41 PM »

Sorry that I can't attend chat tonight. Rehearsals, of course, are the culprit.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #70 on: October 11, 2004, 01:22:38 PM »

I, for one, am waiting (tap, tap, tap) for the goods on the Gower Champion/St. Peter joke!

:D

DR Jane:  You'd be the perfect dinner companion. You wouldn't Bogart my Cabernet Sauvignon!

I, too, have a past history of getting headaches form red wine....but that's from when I used to drink a bottle over the course of an evening.  Also, red wine is supposed to have esters that aren't good for folks with allergies.

Funnily enough, I have terrible allergy problems, but I adore a fine red cabernet, or Shiraz, or Merlot...and I'm totally nuts over the Valpolicella reds.  Of course, it's a couple of glasses (not full, either) that I'm talking about.  White wine I can take or leave...as long as it's dry.  I don't want anything too tart/acid.  My favorite way to drink white wine is to get a really good dry wine, pour it into a decanter one-quarter filled with fresh, sliced peaches, wait an hour, and then enjoy the wine with great food.

I could be a truly great alcoholic, but I despise hangovers.  The amount I drink in one year wouldn't buy an inkjet dot in one of the "A's" in AA.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2004, 01:25:48 PM by RLP »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #71 on: October 11, 2004, 01:24:08 PM »

Hmm, BK, so I wonder if you'd be an angry, mean drunk or a silly, giddy drunk?  Guess we'll never know...

LOL I was thinking the same thing.  I would add relaxed and mellow with just a wee bit of alcohol in him.  

Jane

« Reply #72 on: October 11, 2004, 01:28:12 PM »

Panni your camera seems to take a nice photo.  You should have some great ones of your trip to post on your return.

RLP-LOL it only takes me about two sips to get a headache with red wine.  I don’t think I would want peaches in my white wine.  I do however agree it should not be tart or acidic but very smooth.

William F. Orr

• Jeeper Creepers!
« Reply #73 on: October 11, 2004, 01:28:33 PM »

...But before that - let's not forget that Columbus Day is, to say the least, controversial in some quarters.
Some picky people find it a tad offensive to honor a guy who opened the door to European colonization, the exploitation (and killing off) of native peoples and the slave trade. But hey, nobody's perfect.

And yes, that is the name of the Elaine Stritch Britcom based on Maude that Ben was trying to think of the other day.
"Champagne to my real friends, and real pain to my sham friends!"
--Wayland Flowers

William F. Orr

• Jeeper Creepers!
« Reply #74 on: October 11, 2004, 01:34:54 PM »

DR George, I agree with you about ENTERPRISE. Are there things about the show I'd like to fix. You bet! But I still enjoy it. I will admit that I'm looking forward to the Zindii arc ending this week so we can move on to other matters in the galaxy.

This week?  The Xindi arc actually ended at the end of last season and we were plunged into the Time Wars Arc.  Joe and I had our VCR all primed for the season première on Friday only to find it canceled for a baseball game, at least here in NY.  It wasn't till almost the last minute that I remembered they repeat the shows on Sunday at 19:00, so we saw and taped it last night.

Spoilers anyone?
--Wayland Flowers

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #75 on: October 11, 2004, 01:37:15 PM »

I, for one, am waiting (tap, tap, tap) for the goods on the Gower Champion/St. Peter joke!

So Gower Champion dies and goes to Heaven and is met at the Pearly Gates by St. Peter.

“Gower!” says St. Peter, “We are so glad that you are here!  We’ve been waiting for you!  God has been an admirer of your work for years.  In fact, he wants to produce a huge musical here in Heaven and he wants you to direct it!”

But Gower Champion replies, “Why, thank you for the offer.  I’m very flattered, but I’ve just finished one of the most difficult shows of my career and I’m very tired.  I think I would rather just sit back and enjoy my eternal rest.”

“But this will be a spectacular!” says St. Peter.  “Michaelangelo will do the sets!  Coco Channel, the costumes!   The lighting by Van Gogh!”

“Well, that sounds very tempting, but I think I still want to pass.”, responds Champion.

St. Peter counters:  “But Gower!  Think of the people you’ll have at your disposal!  You can have William Shakespeare write the book!  Mozart will compose the score!  Lyrics by Lorenz Hart!”

Again the director declines.  “These are all wonderful people, but I’m really not interested, thank you.”

Now St. Peter goes in for the hard sell.  “Gower, Gower, Gower.  Let me rattle off some names…Jolson…Brice…Durante…Garland…  Gower, think of the stars you can work with!”

Gower Champion is momentarily stunned.  Visions of working with the greatest of the great stage performers dance across his mind.  He is suddenly reenergized and is filled with glee.

“Yes!  Of course!  I’ve been a fool!  Of course I’ll do it!  Yes!”

At this St. Peter warmly wraps his arm around Gower Champion’s shoulder.  “Oh, that’s just terrific, Gower.  Just terrific.  There is one little thing, though.  God has this girlfriend…”
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

William F. Orr

• Jeeper Creepers!
« Reply #76 on: October 11, 2004, 01:41:11 PM »

ROTFLMAO
--Wayland Flowers

Stuart

• No one is alone.....
« Reply #77 on: October 11, 2004, 01:45:16 PM »

A test after importing from my new camera. Let's see if it works.

It worked mighty fine.  And I am surprised (after seeing so many other photos of DC (Dear Canine, in internet lingo) Abie Wussberger that I never realized the similarities between he and the latest love of my life DP's and my own DC, Morgan.  They look quite similar.  We were told that she was part Lab, part Shepherd (Alan, not Cybill) and -- huzzah! The part I never admit -- part Rottweiler.  What kind of concoction is Abie?

She may have a bit of Rottweiler in her, but I will let it be known that Morgan -- officially, Morgan LeFay Brittany Fairchild Freeman Hennessey Soloway -- is a total pussycat.  She took a nice nap on my chest and stomach last night (during Desperate Housewives) and nothin' could be finer than that.

Off to buy Cher tickets!  (Yes DB Jay, she's coming back.  She liked Wegman's THAT much!)

William F. Orr

• Jeeper Creepers!
« Reply #78 on: October 11, 2004, 01:45:55 PM »

I don't like being out of control either, although I've never had a drink or drug in my life.

I believe it was back in the 60's, when some dodos interpreted his anti-drug story "Shattered Like a Glass Goblin" as pro-drug, that DR FSW Charles Pogue's close personal friend Harlan Ellison remarked that when he was offered marijuana by anyone his standard reply was "Not till I come down."
« Last Edit: October 11, 2004, 01:46:58 PM by William F. Orr »
--Wayland Flowers

William F. Orr

• Jeeper Creepers!
« Reply #79 on: October 11, 2004, 01:49:23 PM »

Leave it to a professor to come out with a long, run-on sentence like that.  Just call me JF Kerry.

And now I shall leave the office, with no guarantee to be back on-line till morning.  Home computer problems, doncha know.
--Wayland Flowers

Emily

« Reply #80 on: October 11, 2004, 01:56:42 PM »

I like frozen margaritas, amaretto sours and other girlie-girl drinks... but my absolute favourite is rye whiskey with ginger ale.

"We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true" except at HHW of course! - Robert Wilensky

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #81 on: October 11, 2004, 02:16:18 PM »

Is Cher doing another "Absolutely Final Farewell Tour?"
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

Jay

« Reply #82 on: October 11, 2004, 02:17:53 PM »

Or perhaps she's settling into a permanent show housed in Rochester, like Celine Dion did, only in Las Vegas.

Panni

« Reply #83 on: October 11, 2004, 02:37:15 PM »

DR Stuart - I got Abie W as a tiny pup at the Humane Society in Boulder CO. He was an import from Utah, however. Which makes him part Mormon. I was told he was part Lab (which is what they say about all dogs to make them seem attractive!). I describe him as part Lab, part Shepherd (and part human, natch) - and I also skip the Rottweiller possibility. He is a GREAT dog.

Panni

« Reply #84 on: October 11, 2004, 02:38:48 PM »

I forgot to say that he was the only tri-color of his litter. His bros and sisters were pure black or black with little white collars and/or paw mitts.

Jane

« Reply #85 on: October 11, 2004, 02:45:26 PM »

Dan (the Man)  ;D

Stuart & Panni, Rottweiler’s  get a bad rap.  My first experience with a couple of males was rather scary.  Since then all I have known are sweethearts.  Bernese Mountain Dog’s (Echo’s breed) even got some of their coloring from Rottweiler’s.

Emily I do enjoy a good margaritas with Mexican food.  I like it on the rocks with extra tequila and no salt.  I only order extra tequila if Keith and I are sharing, otherwise I can’t handle it.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2004, 02:46:16 PM by Jane »

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #86 on: October 11, 2004, 03:26:51 PM »

Jay or anyone: What is the name of the restaurant in the Pasadena Playhouse complex?

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #87 on: October 11, 2004, 03:34:04 PM »

Mario's?
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #88 on: October 11, 2004, 03:34:19 PM »

It worked! But I did it a roundabout way. I emailed it to myself, then posted. I don't know how to make the jpeg smaller yet within iPhoto.

Terrific pic, no matter how you got it to us (and does the doggie ever take a bad pic?)

I don't know if it will work on a Mac, but I use a piece of software called IrfanView to view and edit my pics.  Easy to resize and crop pictures with it.  Here's a link to the website.
-- Anaïs Nin

Jay

« Reply #89 on: October 11, 2004, 03:36:24 PM »

Jay or anyone: What is the name of the restaurant in the Pasadena Playhouse complex?

Closed.

That space is one of those cursed ones where no matter the type of cuisine, quality of service, pricing, etc., etc., etc., no restaurant that has ever taken up tennancy there has ever survived for more than a short while.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2004, 03:39:35 PM by Jay »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up