Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down

Author Topic: THE POMPOUS BASSOON  (Read 17150 times)

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
Re:THE POMPOUS BASSOON
« Reply #90 on: October 26, 2004, 03:45:33 PM »

Speaking of Hungary, my dad just called me (literally, a minute ago) and invited me for dinner.  He said that my mom is making Hungarian goulash with genuine Hungarian paprika!  What a coinkydink!
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #91 on: October 26, 2004, 03:45:38 PM »

elmore just returned home.  He has a headache so he took some Tylenol with codeine and is going to bed.  All went well and they fed him at the hospital. :D
Uh, are you sure "they fed him at the hospital" deserves a happy smiley?   :-X is too often more appropriate.   :-\
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #92 on: October 26, 2004, 03:46:22 PM »

MBarnum those vibes seem to be working-

Continued vibes elmore for a speedy recovery and an end to this problem!

Jane

« Reply #93 on: October 26, 2004, 03:48:13 PM »

;DSWW elmore seemed happy about it. :)  Some hospitals have decent food.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #94 on: October 26, 2004, 03:48:52 PM »

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%][size=20]VIBES[/size][/b][/i][/move]

That should cover everything, I hope.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2004, 03:50:56 PM by S. Woody White »
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #95 on: October 26, 2004, 03:56:23 PM »

I'm not sure what we're having for dinner tonight, but I'm thinking of Lemon Rice as one of the sides, mainly because I've a bag of lemons sitting on the counter.

Very simple: Take the zest and juice of a lemon (or two), substituting it for part of the water in a regular recipe of rice.  Also add a handful of dried parsley flakes, and cook the rice as usual.

I'm thinking Sweet and Sour Chicken would taste good.  I need to get to the store for pineapple for the sauce.  Der B is going to want a newspaper, no matter what.

Jane

« Reply #96 on: October 26, 2004, 04:08:25 PM »

The rice sounds good.

Matthew

• You there, why are you so late?
« Reply #97 on: October 26, 2004, 04:31:51 PM »

I have a copy of dear bk's "Together Again", I found it in a used record store in the Castro in SF one gloomy February afternoon.  It was still in its shrink wrap. I think I've listened to it, but now I want to REALLY listen to it again (I guess!) but the turntable is out of commission at the moment.  But when it's back, it's the first thing to go on

Good to read you again, DR Jose!  :)

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #98 on: October 26, 2004, 04:37:55 PM »

DtM - THE LITTLE PRINCESS was one of two movies Shirley Temple did in Technicolor at Fox....(THE BLUEBIRD was the other) - so it's in color, not colorized!

Thank you for the info, sir.  I don't feel like such a fool now.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #99 on: October 26, 2004, 04:46:18 PM »

I look exactly like Allison Hayes when I lay on my couch - an amazing coincidence.

Tammy Minoff dropped by and we had a spot of lunch and I helped her set up an eBay account.  She liked my new lamp and loved my new painting and helped me decide which wall was best.  It's going to go above the piano, which seems the perfect place.  It's not seeable when you enter the room at first, but it's a really good spot and I can put the actual album cover below it, plus one of the directional lights is right there and will illuminate it really nicely.

BK, I'm not an expert in such things, but you might want to search for a special kind of lightbulb for the directional light that will prevent any fading of the painting.  
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #100 on: October 26, 2004, 05:04:25 PM »

These fixtures only allow for a forty-watt bulb - no way that's going to fade anything.  It barely illuminates the picture, which looks great on the wall where it's not hanging.  I bought a matching lamp for the other side of the room, and that now provides plenty of light, plus I had a small hallogen "spotlight" that I used in my other house - it's now aimed directly at Astrud and when it's turned on, voila - perfectly lit painting.

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #101 on: October 26, 2004, 05:19:12 PM »

Woody, I did not see the Charyl Churchill play you mentioned but I did see another play of Churchill's called FAR AWAY, which was only forty-five minutes, set in the future, and very weird.  I can't say I particularly enjoyed it, but I'm glad I saw it.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #102 on: October 26, 2004, 05:23:57 PM »

I forgot to mention that it is now pouring rain.

Danise

« Reply #103 on: October 26, 2004, 05:40:25 PM »

Evening all!

Happy Birthday to DR Jed, sorry I didn't say that this morning.  I was in such a rush for the bus.

Vibes to DR Jose's father.  Wishing him every good wish and every good hope.

Glad you had the chance to climb out of the pit and vist with us, if only for a little while!  I miss all of your stories.

Also so very glad to hear that all went well for DR Elmore.  May this to the start of a very short road to complete recovery.

DR Jennifer, that you for the suggestion about the doctor, I will have to look into that.

SWW, you always sound like you make the most wonderful meals.  If I wasn't on my diet, I would run away to your house and beg a meal or two or three.   :)  Or a least cooking lessions!

I meant to ask, JRand, did you know that Marilyn Ross is really Dan Ross?  He's the fellow that wrote all the Dark Shadows books.
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #104 on: October 26, 2004, 05:46:30 PM »

DR Danise -

Congrats on 1,000 posts!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Danise

« Reply #105 on: October 26, 2004, 05:50:52 PM »

I’m speechless (Obviously not!)!  ;)  Many thanks, Dan-in-Toronto!   :)
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

George

« Reply #106 on: October 26, 2004, 06:04:15 PM »

Danise, Congratulations on Hitting Four Digits!!

Now, I'm off to dinner at my parents' house!
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Danise

« Reply #107 on: October 26, 2004, 06:06:26 PM »

Thank you, George!  Have a nice dinner.

Touch Magic, Pass it on!

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #108 on: October 26, 2004, 07:24:19 PM »

Danise, Congratulations on Hitting Four digits!/[glow]
M'gosh, you're right, we've another Deux Dieu!  Congrats, Danise!
« Last Edit: October 26, 2004, 07:27:47 PM by S. Woody White »

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #109 on: October 26, 2004, 07:26:59 PM »

Four more posts, and DR Stewart ascends!   :o

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #110 on: October 26, 2004, 08:12:22 PM »

Found out today at NUNCRACKERS rehearsal that the actress playing Sister Robert Anne has an accordian that my character can use to accompany the Mother Superior in her number "Old Time Carnival Christmas." I've never played an accordian, but do play the piano, so I guess in five weeks I might be able to learn enough to provide a little ambience to the number. The show is stacking up to be a lot of fun.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #111 on: October 26, 2004, 08:13:47 PM »

Finally finished all of the BROADWAY - THE AMERICAN MUSICAL DVDs with the special feature interviews et al. Wonderful set. A couple of the actresses in NUNCRACKERS want to borrow it since they want to see the other interviews and special features that weren't shown on PBS.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Kerry

« Reply #112 on: October 26, 2004, 08:39:42 PM »

Jose, my thoughts are with you.

Because my thoughts are with Jose (and a little bit of Dan's four=legged child, Archie), the rest of my mind is not working.

A musical worth seeing is "Wake up and Live"  (alice faye, Jack Haley, the late wonderful Buddy Clark dubbing for Jack Haley).  It's typical of the time and VERY predictable, but it has a great score.   Alice Faye's rendition of "There's a Lull in My Life" is as god as Elaine Stritch's.  They're both different but very good.

My husband is watching the World Series!    I took him to Two baseballl games last year whenI got comp tickets, and now he's a fan!   What gives with this?!  Oh well, at least I fianlly got him off the Jerrry Lewis telethon (back in the days when there were still good people to be on them).

I got me some cogitatin' to do (and no, I haven't been watching "Li'l Abner")

Sorry I didn't stick to the topic.

Bruce, congrats on your painting.  I know what a thrill that can be.
I like boat races.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #113 on: October 26, 2004, 08:51:25 PM »

How nice to see dear reader Kerry posting again.  He has been missed.  If only we could get dear reader MusicGuy to at least come and say "hey".

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #114 on: October 26, 2004, 08:51:49 PM »

Ended up at Cafe Bizou, where I was forced (forced, I tell you) to eat whipped cream.

George

« Reply #115 on: October 26, 2004, 09:13:38 PM »

Found out today at NUNCRACKERS rehearsal that the actress playing Sister Robert Anne has an accordian that my character can use to accompany the Mother Superior in her number "Old Time Carnival Christmas." I've never played an accordian, but do play the piano, so I guess in five weeks I might be able to learn enough to provide a little ambience to the number. The show is stacking up to be a lot of fun.

About five years ago, I played Jacquot in a production of Carnival and at the top of the show, I played "Love Makes the World Go 'Round" on the accordion.  I actually took accordion lessons (a My Favorite Year reference!) when I was eight or nine years old.  For Carnival I only played the melody on the right hand and everyone loved it.  You probably won't have to learn the left hand buttons if you've got the rest of the band playing as well.  If I had to try and re-learn the buttons, I would've been screwed.  Even though we had eight weeks of rehearsals, I could never figure it out.

Laura II

« Reply #116 on: October 26, 2004, 09:30:57 PM »

Hi everyone!

*sheepish grin* I haven't been here since I went to Missouri in June, I believe. I've been so busy here at school! Yay William and Mary. *Sigh* I remember the time when I wanted to read every topic and post here at HHW. When I fell out of sync, I never caught up, and I gave up. Sorry. :( Hope all is well! I might be popping in and out again. Happy birthday, Jed!

Laura
"I believe that my life's gonna see the love I give returned to me."

George

« Reply #117 on: October 26, 2004, 09:33:44 PM »

Welcome Back (even if you aren't able to catch up...or ketchup) Laura II!!
« Last Edit: October 26, 2004, 09:34:23 PM by George »

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #118 on: October 26, 2004, 09:36:05 PM »

Good Evening!

-Thanks for all the Welcome Backs.  Of course, I never really left, I was just indisposed if you will.

Good show tonight, and we had some special guests in the audience, George H. and Barbara Bush.  I guess I should say former President George Bush and his wife, Barbara.  They are apparently regular audience members at Theatre Under The Stars - there's even a panel in the backstage hallway signed by them.  They were greeted by a standing ovation by the rest of the audience when they arrived.  When I heard the applause, I was still making my way into the pit, and I almost thought I was late for my opening, '"Is the curtain speech over already?"  Nothing to worry about.

It was interesting that they were there considering some of the subject matter covered in the show.  However, during the curtain speech, the producer did mention that they were not able to make it to their previous production which was Hair since they were up in Kennebunkport on vacation.  -Now that would have been interesting.  They even headed backstage after the show for a short meet and greet and photo op with the cast, and were very gracious.  -And I have to say Mrs. Bush looked great.

-And what a difference playing the show fully rested - and "recovered" - makes!  Now if I just ration my water intake before the show so I don't have to run out of the pit during Paul's monologue.   :-\ ;)

OH!! And I also found out tonight that the Alley Theatre has invited the cast and company of A Chorus Line to see their current production of Ken Ludwig's new play, The Leading Ladies.  -Which happens to star Mr. Brent Barrett!  -And he's in drag too for part of the show!!  They're doing a special 10:00AM(!?!?) student matinee of the show tomorrow, and since I was originally thinking I wouldn't be able to see the show (our runs coincide), I'll be going.  My friend, Erin Dilly, is also in it too!  As well as Jane Connell and Dan Lauria among others.  *I'm just hoping the understudies aren't on tomorrow morning, or I will be very disappointed.  -Fingers-crossed.
Make Your Own Luck.

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #119 on: October 26, 2004, 09:39:42 PM »

It barely illuminates the picture, which looks great on the wall where it's not hanging.  

Am I the only one who finds this surreal?
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up