Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: THE WANING DAYS OF OCTOBER  (Read 16998 times)

MBarnum

Re:THE WANING DAYS OF OCTOBER
« Reply #30 on: October 27, 2004, 10:15:14 AM »

Favorite Shirley Temple growing up:

THE LITTLEST REBEL: I am not really sure if I had a "favorite" Shirley Temple movie when I was a kid...I just liked them all...but this film stands out as one that I watched a lot.

Favorite now:

STAND UP AND CHEER: Not much Shirley in this film but her BABY TAKE A BOW number is great...plus so many other wonderful singers and performers in this movie.

BABY TAKE A BOW: I guess I just love this song! and this is a particularly cute movie.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #31 on: October 27, 2004, 10:55:17 AM »

A very cute Shirley Temple movie, MB!

Where else can you go on the internet and go to France AND Houston in the space of a few posts?!
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #32 on: October 27, 2004, 10:56:05 AM »

BRIGHT EYES is my favorite - with James Dunn and Jane Withers AND "Good Ship Lollipop."

"You mean.....you mean....my momma cracked up?"

Matthew

• You there, why are you so late?
« Reply #33 on: October 27, 2004, 10:58:00 AM »

WB DR Jed, good to see you again, even if it's just for a post or two.  We look forward to your return!  It's indeed Wednesday, and it is finally feeling like fall here in the greater bay area!  The weather is cool and feels like it will rain, gotta love the rain! (or wane)  

Sometime yesterday, I was conjuring up my question for the usual Ask BK wedenesday topic, and for the life of me, can't come up with it.  Perhaps later.  

Glad to hear you are doing well, DR Elmore.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #34 on: October 27, 2004, 10:59:39 AM »

Shirley Temple Page Two Dance!  ;D

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #35 on: October 27, 2004, 11:11:54 AM »

Glad to see DR Elmore here today.  Onward and upward healthwise, my man!

Also nice to see other e&t's poppin' their heads in, if at least to say howdy.

My favorite Shirley Temple movie as a kid had to be Heidi.  Well, maybe not exactly my favorite, but the one that most stood out in my mind back then.  It had to do with the film's climax.  It seemed to me that Shirley Temple was always in danger in all of her movies of being sold to the Gypsys.  But in Heidi, she was being sold on Christmas Eve!  That struck me as the most awful of awful!  It's mostly because of that hair-raising ending that that movie so reverberated with me.

My favorite Temple movie nowadays is The Bachelor and The Bobbysoxer.  She holds her own with a good performance in a very funny movie.  I would love to see outtakes from the filming--I read somewhere once that Cary Grant and Myrna Loy were always trying to get Shirley to break up during her scenes.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2004, 11:13:58 AM by Dan (the Man) »
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #36 on: October 27, 2004, 11:26:01 AM »

Oh, Stuart, you nasty man!  God will punish you for making naughty Sandy Duncan affliction puns!

Favourite Shirley Temple movie when she was a diabolical youngster is THE LITTLE PRINCESS.

Favourite Shirley Temple movie she was an older diabolical teen is THE BACHELOR & THE BOBBY-SOXER.

Favourite Shirley Temple movie these days, FORT APACHE, not that she has anything to do with it being a favourite.

Tewkes went into a sudden orgy of play last night for the first time. The Lovely Wife, Julieanne, was rolling him on his back and cooing at him, when he suddenly leaped up and attacked a plastic flower on the floor.  We played tug-of-war with him, would fling it away and he'd go and fetch it and growl and gnaw on it.  I then got an old stuffed toy of Cully's and went through the same routine with Tewkes on that.  Good thing.  We were about to change his name to Ennui.  In truth, he's becoming a great dog and hit of the neighbourhood.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #37 on: October 27, 2004, 11:34:47 AM »

Did you ever have days where you do something really stupid and can't undo it?
I just decided to hit eBay for a DVD of Danny Kaye's HANS ANDERSEN, so I did a search "hans christian andersen DVD kaye."  I found a good price, bought it now, and paid by Paypal.  Well, I just just bought a VHS copy!  I clearly disregarded the VHS  in the title listing.  So, why the hell did a search for DVD bring up a VHS?  I'm more pissed because I have eat the damned thing!  Blame it on the drugs (now or then)!

DRDTM, I always liked HEIDI, too, and my only memory is the escape in the sleigh, or am I making this up?  I also liked Shirley in KISS AND TELL, and my favorite song she did is "I Love to Walk in the Rain."

Speaking of Miss T, I wish the videos of her Storybook series were available.  I remember a pretty frightening one of a Jules Verne story "The Clockman," or something like that, a "Land of Oz," and something about Green Ginger.

"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Jennifer

« Reply #38 on: October 27, 2004, 11:44:32 AM »

Can't you undo an ebay bid if you do it right away?

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #39 on: October 27, 2004, 11:49:27 AM »

My goodness, it's a bit slow around these here parts today.  I will soon be on my way to lunch with Marcy, the Marketing Lady.  Let's have some questions.  Let's have some answers.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #40 on: October 27, 2004, 11:49:42 AM »

Let's have some cake.

Ben

« Reply #41 on: October 27, 2004, 11:54:52 AM »

Carrot please (cake, that is). With a  fresh cup of coffee.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #42 on: October 27, 2004, 12:05:11 PM »

Can't you undo an ebay bid if you do it right away?

DRJennifer, if you're quick enough.  I emailed the vendor but I didin't receive an offer from him to refund my Paypal payment.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Matthew

• You there, why are you so late?
« Reply #43 on: October 27, 2004, 12:08:22 PM »

Thanks, DR Elmore, for the info.  It's been good catching up!

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #44 on: October 27, 2004, 12:09:32 PM »

Carrot please (cake, that is). With a  fresh cup of coffee.

DRBen, it sounds like a great idea!  Does it count as roughage?

Ben

« Reply #45 on: October 27, 2004, 12:15:18 PM »

I guess it depends on how many pounds of carrots are in the cake (if it's got coarsely chopped nuts also then we have even more fiber).

Ben

« Reply #46 on: October 27, 2004, 12:41:03 PM »

In my best BK impression

"Hey, seven guests, come on in, we're talkin' about carrot cake and coffee!"

Noel

• Husband (10th year), father and songwriter
    • Musings on musicals
« Reply #47 on: October 27, 2004, 01:00:07 PM »

http://www.saveroe.com/americanidle/

I had a rather strange reaction to this: I burst out in tears.

My feelings about American Idol are well known to you all.  To think that more people care to state their preference between Clay and Ruben than between Bush and Kerry - well, that just breaks my heart.  Because AI, you know, is a game show, singers competing for cash, prizes and fame.  And who runs the country effects everybody's life.  Three years ago, America had the world's symapthy.  Now, we're as loathed as we've ever been.  Actions have consequences.  Who wins Idol - has no consequences.  Get off your butts and vote Tuesday.
In this family, when words won't do, there's gotta be a song.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #48 on: October 27, 2004, 01:00:56 PM »

In my best BK impression

"Hey, seven guests, come on in, we're talkin' about carrot cake and coffee!"

You'd sound more like him, DRBen, if you added "Get your buttcheeks in here."

Noel

• Musings on musicals
« Reply #49 on: October 27, 2004, 01:06:01 PM »

Carrot cake is my favorite flavor of cake, and I'm no health nut.

I very much enjoyed Down in the Valley on stage.  I rank it as one of Weill's most successful works.

Ask BK - there was something in Kritzer Time I'd experienced as well, those Southern California high school drama competitions.  It was at those I met Kevin Spacey (then named Fowler), Mare Winningham and Val Kilmer.  Did you get the chance to meet anyone from other high schools at those competitions?

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #50 on: October 27, 2004, 01:07:26 PM »

My feelings about American Idol are well known to you all.  To think that more people care to state their preference between Clay and Ruben than between Bush and Kerry - well, that just breaks my heart.  Because AI, you know, is a game show, singers competing for cash, prizes and fame.  And who runs the country effects everybody's life.  Three years ago, America had the world's symapthy.  Now, we're as loathed as we've ever been.  Actions have consequences.  Who wins Idol - has no consequences.  Get off your butts and vote Tuesday.

Since I detest the "pop" style of singing exemplified by American Idol, I don't care who prefers Clay to Rubin.  However, I do care that we live in a country so large and so full of morons that the election is so closely tied.  If the people with braces on their brains (an AUNTIE MAME reference) would expand their narrow little minds, perhaps our puppet president and his puppetmasters, warmongers, and liars would be left in the dust.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #51 on: October 27, 2004, 01:08:49 PM »

Ask BK - there was something in Kritzer Time I'd experienced as well, those Southern California high school drama competitions.  It was at those I met Kevin Spacey (then named Fowler), Mare Winningham and Val Kilmer.  Did you get the chance to meet anyone from other high schools at those competitions?

And did Kevin Fowler claim to be straight?

Noel

• Musings on musicals
« Reply #52 on: October 27, 2004, 01:19:51 PM »

And did Kevin Fowler claim to be straight?
All I can tell you is that I had multiple female friends who slept with him back then.

Whether Mr. Spacey made some other changes along with his name, I leave to the gossips.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #53 on: October 27, 2004, 01:20:20 PM »

DR JRand wrote:  "but MATTH I had forgotten about the last few minutes of "The Little Colonel" - I have only seen that color sequence once, and it wasn't even very good shape wherever it was on....maybe Fox Movie Channel.....hmmmmmmm"

I bought the commercial videotape of THE LITTLE COLONEL specifically because the final Technicolor sequence had been restored to it, and I hadn't seen it before. It's not much: basically to show Shirley in, as I recall, a frilly blue hoop dress. Lionel Barrymore and Shirley fight to a draw for the most scenes stolen.

When I was growing up I liked HEIDI the best. Now, I think I like CAPTAIN JANUARY the best.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #54 on: October 27, 2004, 01:27:00 PM »

Can someone validate my suspicion about THE BLUE BIRD. If you watch it now, the first scenes (until the children are awakened by Berrylou) are in sepia, but is this because Fox had earlier deleted those sequences and can't find the Technicolor masters for them and all they're left with are these black and white scenes that they've tinted? (Everyone looks like they're made up in Technicolor make-up in those scenes even though we only see them in sepia.)

Surely Fox wouldn't have so blatently copied the sepia/Technicolor look of THE WIZARD OF OZ, especially since it never goes back to sepia once the chilren wake up.

(And don't call me surely!)

Really, does anyone know about this?
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #55 on: October 27, 2004, 01:28:41 PM »

HEIDI - yes it always scared me that Fraulein Rottenmeier tried to sell Shirley....and of course she BROKE Shirley's snow globe!  YIKES!!

DR ELMORE sometimes a person doing a listing puts "not available on DVD" or "Not a DVD" in his title or description so adding DVD to your search brings it up!

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #56 on: October 27, 2004, 01:36:26 PM »

Did you ever have days where you do something really stupid and can't undo it?
I just decided to hit eBay for a DVD of Danny Kaye's HANS ANDERSEN, so I did a search "hans christian andersen DVD kaye."  I found a good price, bought it now, and paid by Paypal.  Well, I just just bought a VHS copy!  I clearly disregarded the VHS  in the title listing.  So, why the hell did a search for DVD bring up a VHS?  I'm more pissed because I have eat the damned thing!  Blame it on the drugs (now or then)!

I did almost the same thing exept that I bought a vinyl record of the London cast of Where's Charley from eBay (also used "Buy It Now" option) and I had totally forgotten that I already owned the CD!  I hate it when that happens!
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #57 on: October 27, 2004, 01:43:23 PM »

I have a friend, Deanna Moon Walker Barrett (yes, with her first husband, she became a Moon Walker!).  Anyway, she went to high school with Kevin and Mare.  Deanna told the story that Kevin was the first person to get her to say the "f" word...just for the sake of saying it!  He even wrote in her year book that he couldn't believe that he got her to say it!  Deanna never mentioned anything about Kevin's "preferences" ... but he was in drama! ::)
« Last Edit: October 27, 2004, 01:43:46 PM by George »
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Tomovoz

« Reply #58 on: October 27, 2004, 01:54:02 PM »

Carrot Cake: Very high in fat content! May as well have something that looks better and looks better IMHO.
(I'm a Baker's son). Of course some one may whip you to have the forced cream.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Tomovoz

« Reply #59 on: October 27, 2004, 01:57:14 PM »

DR Tom, the pictrues are excellent quality, and I enjoyed looking at them. You have a wonderful eye for photographs.

Thank you Matt. The pics are brought to you by the talented DR Nurse Jane.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up