Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Down

Author Topic: MY OH SO SENSITIVE SKIN  (Read 15999 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
MY OH SO SENSITIVE SKIN
« on: October 29, 2004, 11:59:44 PM »

Well, you've read the notes, you know everything there is to know about the notes, and now it is time for you to post until the sensitive cows come home.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2004, 12:00:23 AM by bk »

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
Re:MY OH SO SENSITIVE SKIN
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2004, 12:54:09 AM »

TOD #1: I don't do costumes.  If you want me to really dress up, ask me to some affair that requires a tuxedo but doesn't require me to be a waiter.  Only last time I checked the pants didn't fit.  So I might be wearing the tuxedo jacket with jeans.

That could be interesting.  Tuxedo jacket, plaid flannel shirt, cummerbund, and jeans.  But shoes, which shoes?

TOD #2: The film that freaked me the most when I was growing up was The Time Machine, with Rod Taylor and Yvette Mimieux.  The reason was that, when George (Rod) witnesses an atomic war, the film gave an exact date, as seen on the time machine itself.  For years, I was spooked by the idea that the filmmakers might have known something.

The Morlocks, on the other hand, never bothered me at all, since I'd already seen what my sister looked like in curlers.

There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Tomovoz

« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2004, 12:57:45 AM »

"The Innocents" (Deborah Kerr) spooked me out. Wonderful tension and really nothing really scary at all.  Great adaptation of the Henry James story. I would have been 15 which is not that young!
« Last Edit: October 30, 2004, 01:01:05 AM by Tomovoz »
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Joey

• Always and forever.
    • My Website
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2004, 01:35:37 AM »

"Don’t forget, at two o’clock a.m. we must all set our clocks back one hour. Yes, you heard it here, dear readers, at two o’clock it will be one o’clock."

Actually, not all of us must set their clocks back. JRand and I (being from Indiana) don't have to deal with Daylight Savings. I suppose it is a blessing and a curse. Sorry for my errrant and truancy. Here are a few funny pictures to lessen your "wrath".  ;)
There is no music without silence, only noise...

Joey

• Always and forever.
    • My Website
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2004, 01:37:14 AM »

Joey

• Always and forever.
    • My Website
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2004, 01:38:04 AM »

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2004, 06:20:30 AM »

I shave with a razor most days, but I do have an electric shaver (which runs on a rechargeable battery which means I can take it anywhere and not have to worry about having an electric outlet). What generally happens is that if it's been less than 24 hours between shower/shave, I'll use the electric shaver since I'm not going to get a close shave with it anyway. (Don't you find that an hour or two after shaving with an electric shaver, you feel like you could shave again; don't get that feeling with a razor).

If it has been more than 24 hours since I last shaved, then I will use a razor.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2004, 06:23:10 AM »

Good morning, all!  Yes, there's no more matzoh ball soup, not to be had for ready money (an IMPORTANCE OF BEING EARNEST reference).  If Nurse Jane were still visiting, instead of taking care of a dog and cat in Oregon, I'd be back to full health by now.

Halloween was one of my favorite days during my childhood: my Mother made popcorn balls for her favorite neighborhood kids so we had a treat for several days, at school there would be cookies frosted into jack-o-lanterns from Central Pastry, and the big trick-or-treat night was a general group trek which the whole neighborhood got into.  At one house, I remember the homeowner (I remember the house but no longer the family), after his wife had given us candy, came running from the back of the house wrapped in a sheet and screaming bloody murder.  We all ran down the driveway yelling our heads off and clutching our gaudy trick or treat bags.  It was always four of us, my brother, John and Tom Hawkins, and I.  John was my best friend and we were inseparable, from the morning school bus until one of us had to go home from each other's house to do homework.  I still remember being terrified after the four of us saw THE BLOB, but the most frightening movie I remember from my childhood was INVADERS FROM MARS, which seemed to define my alienated situation from my parents.  I had great nightmares about people getting sucked into the ground.

Halloween costumes?  No memory, none, except they were usually gaudy and cheap dimestore items.

"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Matt H.

« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2004, 06:24:15 AM »

To belabor the topic of Dame Julie's neglected Tony ever further, I really don't think the Tony Board has any animosity towards her. She appeared on the broadcast the very next year after her declining the nomination for V/V (when she mentioned that she would be closing in V/V the following week). She obviously held no grudge, and I don't think they do either. To be honest, I was certain they would present her with a surprise special Tony that year (similar to the surprise, unannounced Tonys that were presented to Richard Burton and Henry Fonda on earlier broadcasts).

Matt H.

« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2004, 06:28:22 AM »

I really can't remember any costumes from my childhood; I stopped doing Hallowe'en house-to-house after the fifth grade. As an adult, I've gone to costume parties as a boxer, a priest, a prisoner, and the last time as Merlin, but that has been many, many years ago.

I still have that priest costume in case the costumer for NUNCRACKERS wants to use it. I have a feeling it wouldn't fit as well now.

Matt H.

« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2004, 06:30:14 AM »

I think I've mentioned here before that the movie that creeped me out the most as a very, very young child was TARGET EARTH. When that robot was coming at the couple on the roof of that building, I was paralyzed with fear. (Looking at it now, it's laughable.) As a somewhat older child, I was really hiding under the seat at NIGHT OF THE DEMON. And I certainly screamed loud and long during the three major BOO sequences in PSYCHO.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2004, 06:35:00 AM »

So many posts yesterday!  Whew!  And what lovely photos.  Around the world in 80 posts!

I too watched THE BEAST WITH FIVE FINGERS and it was scary as it was the first time I saw it.   I didn't like Andrea King then and I still don't, maybe it was the hair, as scary as the hand, if you ask me.

Hmmmmmmmm......went as a spaceman once when I was little, but usually didn't go out for Halloween,  We lived in the country and there weren't many houses around.  As an adult, I went as a sailor one year, and then of course there is the year that I wore tails including white gloves and carried a cabbage patch doll....going of course as the Valet of the Dolls.

.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2004, 06:51:01 AM »

MR BK there is a store called Tuesday Morning, but the only one I can find in California is in Clovis.   ;D

Also  Accent on Rugs in Los Gatos.

Oh my here is a store called At Home in the Valley.

http://www.athomeitv.com/

It might be worth a look.  I love the Andy Warhol collection and the Guggenheim rug....
 ;D

And of course Lawrence of La Brea.

http://www.lawrenceoflabrea.com/
« Last Edit: October 30, 2004, 06:53:02 AM by JRand54 »

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2004, 06:54:02 AM »

DRJOEY is correct - we do NOT have to do anything to our clocks....everyone else does, but MOST counties in Indiana just sit there like so much fish.

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2004, 07:10:10 AM »

A quick hello from my beautiful hometown. I'm not at all jet-lagged - not tired at all. The only sign of any "lag" is that I've lost all sense of time. I called up an old friend today who lives on the other side of the city -- and she invited us over. I thought it was around 1 and said we'd be there at 4. When I hung up, DD pointed out to me that it was 3:50. Oh well.
Tonight DD and I go to see Fiddler in Hungarian. We have house seats because as it turns out the old friend - whom I won't be seeing until 5 - is buddies with the actor playing Tevye. We're invited back after the show to say hi to Tevye, so it should be a fun evening. That's my report from Budapest -- which BTW has the most beautiful architecture I've ever seen.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2004, 07:12:39 AM by Panni »

Matt H.

« Reply #15 on: October 30, 2004, 07:32:01 AM »

Just finished reading a marvelous and VERY informative interview between Robert Harris (who retored LAWREENCE OF ARABIA, MY FAIR LADY, VERTIGO, and other films) and George Feltenstein of Warner Home Video about his work on THAT'S ENTERTAINMENT and many other DVD releases he's supervised.

It's a very long interview and full of stuff only real film buffs would be interested in, but contained within it are lots of teasers about upcoming releases, and I was just giddy with pleasure reading all the things that are upcoming.

http://www.thedigitalbits.com/articles/robertharris/harris102504.html

William E. Lurie

« Reply #16 on: October 30, 2004, 08:18:43 AM »

I don't go to movies to be creeped out.  I go to be entertained..
Years from now when you talk of this --- and you will --- be kind.

MBarnum

« Reply #17 on: October 30, 2004, 08:26:17 AM »

I was trying to find a photo of myself in a Halloween costume back in the 60s but can't recall where it is right now...so instead here is a photo of myself in costume for my very first play. I portrayed the cat in HICKORY DICKORY DOCK ( the mouse went up the clock)...yes I showed early promise...and no doubt my mother would have made a swell stage mom!

So here I am circa 1970/71 (first grade; Mrs. Tollefson's class; Griffin Creek Elementary School)...and yes I made the cat's head very own self! LOL!

MBarnum

« Reply #18 on: October 30, 2004, 08:33:59 AM »

And more recently (well, about 10 years ago) here I am as one of the Ninja Turtles during a promotion for the toys at the store I worked at, Bi-Mart. I am holding clerk Kim Johnson. It was a way cool costume but hot as the floors of hades!

MBarnum

« Reply #19 on: October 30, 2004, 08:38:07 AM »

And movies that creeped me out as a kid...most were on TV...THE ASTOUNDING SHE MONSTER and THE BRAIN EATERS were two that always gave me the creeps. I WAS A TEENAGE WEREWOLF and BLOOD OF DRACULA are two others.

Matthew

• You there, why are you so late?
« Reply #20 on: October 30, 2004, 09:41:29 AM »

A few years back, I bought an adult sized "Bear" costume off of eBay.  "Bear" being the bear from Henson/Disney's children series "Bear in the Big Blue House" because frankly, and johnnilly, I love "Bear", I think his charactor is wonderful.  Plus, I share this liking with my 4 year old niece.  Tomorrow is Tech Sunday for "The Secret Garden" and I think Bear may make an appearence.

The sitz-probe went rather well last night. "Wick" is still a mess and I'm going to try and take the time today to remedy that AGAIN,  Now, I think it's the players, not the score.  But, I always remember to blame the arrangements, not the player, in order to keep the moral and confidence level up.  In the end, it will be what it will be.  I'll settle for serviceble at this point.

BK - try Pier One Imports for a rug. (there should be at least 127 of them in the area of the Angels)  My EL Eric  found one there (after MONTHS of doing the same thing you're doing) and it's rather nice.  Also, IKEA has some nice area rugs, also.  
« Last Edit: October 30, 2004, 09:42:10 AM by Matthew »

Matthew

• You there, why are you so late?
« Reply #21 on: October 30, 2004, 10:21:25 AM »

I've decided to FINALLY carve my pumpkin, but the best part is that I've decided to watch "The First Nudie Musical" while doing it.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #22 on: October 30, 2004, 10:31:31 AM »

We're in widescreen but I don't know which photo did it so let's hurry and get off page one, shall we?

I slept so late it's ridiculous.  The reasons for this are simple: I have never, ever, had a bedroom that is as quiet as this one.  I've always been able to hear street noise or neighbor noise or birds or someone hammering somewhere or starting their car, but in this bedroom you hear nothing.  It is totally still and I sleep sounder and better than I ever have anywhere as an adult.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #23 on: October 30, 2004, 10:32:01 AM »

Nudie Musical goes very well with carving a pumpkin.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #24 on: October 30, 2004, 10:32:14 AM »

I'm gettin' us off page one, baby.  

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #25 on: October 30, 2004, 10:32:42 AM »

And whilst doing so, might I just ask where in tarnation IS everyone?

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #26 on: October 30, 2004, 10:34:41 AM »

One thing that's not clear in that interview is that the gentleman in question is in the marketing department at Warners.  He does not "supervise" anything but the marketing.  He has nothing to do with transfers or restorations.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #27 on: October 30, 2004, 10:35:02 AM »

My goodness, I need some help here.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #28 on: October 30, 2004, 10:38:52 AM »

Hard work but someboday's got to do it.

As I've also said, Target Earth was really scary to me.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #29 on: October 30, 2004, 10:38:56 AM »

We're in widescreen but I don't know which photo did it so let's hurry and get off page one, shall we?

I'm sure it was DRMBarnum and that terrifying cat costume.  I shall have nightmares for months.  It's more frightening than THE BLAIR WITCH!
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Up