Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: TINKLING THE IVORIES  (Read 24958 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
TINKLING THE IVORIES
« on: November 03, 2004, 11:59:13 PM »

Well, you've read the notes (if you haven't, you won't know how to answer the question that's been asked), you've tinkled the notes, you've tickled the notes, and now it is time to post until the tinkled/tickled cows come home.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2004, 12:01:26 AM by bk »

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
Re:TINKLING THE IVORIES
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2004, 12:41:30 AM »

Having announced several times that I'm leaving for Rome - this time I mean it. But I have a few minutes on my hands before the shuttle arrives...
TOD - Goldbeg Variations - Glen Gould.
Bill Evans - really almost anything - especially CONVERSATIONS WITH MYSELF.
Okay, then. Hello, I must be going. Ciao.

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2004, 01:39:56 AM »

Tickle the Ivories is an elephant Polo Team!

der Brucer (no- this is not political commentary!)

We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

DERBRUCER

« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2004, 02:08:58 AM »

Time to Plan Ahead.

One: Amend the constitution.
Tow: Print up Bumper Stickers:

ARNOLD/EDNA 08

der Brucer - and I approve of this announcement

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2004, 02:46:38 AM »

LOL....

As I wrote a week or two ago - I had avoided BRIGADOON the movie like the plague, but when I watched it  on TCM, I liked it.  Hmmm....I did like the OTHER characters more than Kelly, but that it always the case with me....and as DRCP wrote the chase is very exciting.  And I agree that the stagebound sets make the lyrical and mystical place very mysterious and unreal - appropirately so.

I have been reading some online information about the CINERAMA revisited documentary that MR BK wrote about here a few weeks ago.   It is very exciting and interesting.  

Solo piano pieces.....I am VERY fond of  Beethoven's No.27 Opus 2 also known as The Moonlight Sonata.  

There is also a New England composer of the late 19th &early 20th century named Edward MacDowell who wrote several pieces that are lovely.  

Here is a link to a page with samples of his music.

http://www.bol.ucla.edu/~jhiller/macdowell.html

The pianist on the web site plays everything very "heavy" - but you can get some idea of MacDowell's music.  "The Woodland" pieces are nice.  ;D
« Last Edit: November 04, 2004, 02:52:26 AM by JRand54 »
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Michael

« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2004, 04:20:28 AM »

BK said in his notes:

The scene introduces Emma Goldman (I couldn’t recognize the actress playing her), who first confronts Tateh about throwing his wife out, and then takes Evelyn up to her room, undresses her, all while Brad Dourif is watching, hidden in a closet. It’s a totally weird scene and thank goodness they took it out, but it’s fascinating to watch.

Was it Emma Goldman or Tateh that undresses Evelyn? If it was Goldman that is a weird scene!

Also was that the only scene with Emma Goldman as I couldn't find a listing of who played her.
Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2004, 04:22:08 AM »

I don't know about tickling the ivories, but I had a cat that once tinkled on the ivories.
Never stop dreaming.

Kerry

« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2004, 04:37:10 AM »

Yesterday at 5:30 am i was frightened, Auntie Em.  Now, with recent developments, I'm scared shitless.

No more soapbox---- for now.

I don't remember if it was favorite piano or favorite classical and i'm too lazy to go back and look.

Grieg's "The Last Spring" and Debussy's "Reverie" would be among favorites that I can think of at 5:37am.
Have a great day.  It HAS to be better than yesterday.

I like boat races.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2004, 05:28:54 AM »

Good morning, all!

Yes, in the novel RAGTIME there is a sapphic scene between Emma Goldman and Evelyn while Mother's Younger Brother watches concealed.  He becomes so excited that he falls out of the closet.

DearJRand54, MacDowell was, I believe, one of the founders of the Jiulliard School, and his wife, I believe, is behind the MacDowell Colony for writers.  There is a wonderful Doris Grumbach novel based on MacDowell, his wife, the lady who nursed him through his death fom syphilis, and the the love affair between the wife and nurse.  The title is CHAMBER MUSIC, and it's a moving and beautiful piece of writing.  MacDowell seems to have been one more bisexual artist who's been heterosexualized by schools, editors, and others under the guise of protection.

TOD:
Piano solo:
   Mozart Variations on "Ah Vous dirai-je, Maman"
   Debussy Suite Bergamasque
   Ravel everything for piano
   Chopin same as Ravel
   Scott Joplin
Piano and Orchestra
    Gershwin Rhapsody in Blue
    Ravel Concerto in G
    Rachmaninoff Variations on a Theme of Paganini
    Dohnanyi Variations on a Nursery Theme

Favorite pianists:  Arthur Rubinstein, Alicia de Larrocha, Ferrante & Teicher, Joshua Rifkin for Joplin
« Last Edit: November 04, 2004, 05:30:36 AM by elmore3003 »
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2004, 06:04:01 AM »

In a desperate bid to appear erudite, I'm going to tackle the tickle:  I thought the phrase "tickling the ivories" might be a 20s expression, like "cat's pajamas," and possibly a title of a Zez Confrey piece, but  I'm wondering if it might not be a ragtime piece of slang.  In 1904, one of the hits was "The St Louis Tickle," and this appears to be my first knowledge of the connection between piano and tickle.  On another similar term for  musical technique, one of my favorite Harburg lyrics is "Let us carouse while Strauss caresses the strings."
« Last Edit: November 04, 2004, 06:04:48 AM by elmore3003 »
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2004, 06:12:11 AM »

Liebestraum...again!

Favorite Piano solo:  Satie's Gymnopedie No.1

Piano & Orchestra:  Gershwin's Rhapsody in Blue

Favorite Pianist:  Arthur Rubinstein

Favorite Movie Pianist:  Amy Irving in The Competition

And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

William E. Lurie

« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2004, 06:16:25 AM »

BK - Please clarify.  Are you producing this recording and Guy Haines is singing or are you singing yourself this time?
Years from now when you talk of this --- and you will --- be kind.

Ben

« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2004, 06:19:56 AM »

My favorite movie pianist is Bette Davis in

DECEPTION

a 1946 womens picture w/Claude Rains and Paul Henried. Bette is a concert pianist who can't decided between the two men IIRC (If I Recall Correctly in internet lingo)
« Last Edit: November 04, 2004, 06:20:21 AM by Ben »

Stuart

• No one is alone.....
« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2004, 06:27:07 AM »

Liebestraum...again!

"But I just played it!"

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2004, 06:36:16 AM »

"But I just played it!"

DRStuart, LOL! ;D :-* ;D

MBarnum

« Reply #15 on: November 04, 2004, 07:10:23 AM »

Seeing TOP HAT last night on the big new screen at the BIG remodeled Elsinore theater in downtown Salem was so much fun! And the house was packed! What a fun movie that was. It is one of the Astair/Rogers films that I have somehow missed over the years.

There were lots of older people in the audience...meaning 60s, 70s, and 80s, and there was a 99 year old lady there who used to go see movies at the Elsinore in the 20s and 30s and she wanted to see if the theater looked the same...which it did.

Next month they show Rear Window and then it is back to some silent films for the months after.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #16 on: November 04, 2004, 07:11:05 AM »

Last night Charles Pogue wrote in reference to BRIGADOON: "I can't believe you've never seen the Kelly movie.  I'm quite fond of it.  I know Kelly wanted to film it on location, but I like the stagebound sets because they can evoke the fantasy unreality of the place better.  But then I've always been a big one for the controlled environment of the sound-stage.  The CHASE of hunting down Harry Beaton is quite thrilling.  

I actually like both score and show a lot."

I couldn't agree with you more. The huge soundstage sets and vistas gives an otherworliness to the movie that realistic Scottish locations would have made very diffricult to achieve.

My only regret about the film is that so many wonderful songs from the stage score were cut obviously to keep the running time less than two hours. Also, Kelly's voice is BARELY adequate enough to handle the score which was probably the reason why such soaring ballads as "From This Day On" and "There But For You Go I" were cut. The latter, of course, was actually filmed, and the outtake was included in THE GENE KELLY COLLECTION laserdisc boxed set which included BRIGADOON.

If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #17 on: November 04, 2004, 07:20:18 AM »

all, particularly DREmily who asked about the election, might be interested in seeing today's NY TIMES op-ed page

www.nytimes.com/2004/11/04/opinion/04dowd.html?th

« Last Edit: November 04, 2004, 07:23:43 AM by elmore3003 »

DERBRUCER

« Reply #18 on: November 04, 2004, 07:47:57 AM »

My favorite movie pianist is Bette Davis in

DECEPTION

a 1946 womens picture w/Claude Rains and Paul Henried. Bette is a concert pianist who can't decided between the two men IIRC (If I Recall Correctly in internet lingo)

And “Deception” is a wealth of trivia links.

Benson Fong  played a servant (he was Tommy Chan and also Hwang in Flower Drum Song)

Paul Henreid's cello-playing was dubbed by Eleanor Aller (Mrs Felix Slatkin) while she was pregnant with Frederic Zlotkin (famed conductor and cellist and part of the Philip Glass Ensemble) and brother of conductor Leonard Slatkin (St Louis Symphony, U.S. National Symphony, and BBC Symphony and winner of National Medal of Arts 2003)

der Brucer (Kevin Bacon must be only a few steps away)

Matt H.

« Reply #19 on: November 04, 2004, 07:56:06 AM »

I love Debussy's "Reverie," too, but probably for solo piano love "Claire de Lune" even more. Favorite movie pianists - Katharine Hepburn and Mary Astor tie for making their playing very realistic, and it should because both were pianists and were fingering correctly as they played on-screen in SONG OF LOVE and THE GREAT LIE respectively.

Of course, my personal favorite movie pianist is the ever-gorgeous Tyrone Power in THE EDDY DUCHIN STORY, but my preference for him has NOTHING whatsoever to do with his fingering (of the keys, that is).
« Last Edit: November 04, 2004, 07:59:26 AM by Matt H. »

Matt H.

« Reply #20 on: November 04, 2004, 07:58:31 AM »

Another outstanding episode of LOST last night with surprises, another mystery to solve, wonderful background information on Charlie, and a couple of running storylines that just make you breathless until the next episode. Also, by giving us the backstory on each of the survivors, it makes us REALLY anticipate when certain characters will have their stories told to us.

This is a marvelous show.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #21 on: November 04, 2004, 08:00:24 AM »

I didn't mention my favorite movie pianist:  Hugh Grant as Chopin in IMPROMPTU.  Watching Judy Davis' George Sand chase Hugh Grant is like watching a shark chase a minnow.

Matt H.

« Reply #22 on: November 04, 2004, 08:04:51 AM »

When I was young, I really had a serious crush on Van Cliburn, and played his Grammy-winning Tchaikovsky Concerto No. 1 all the time.

For entertaining good times, I liked Ferrente and Teisher a lot. Used to go to their concerts when they came to Charlotte all the time.

Matt H.

« Reply #23 on: November 04, 2004, 08:10:01 AM »

I see that some foolhardy producers are bringing a new production of ZANNA DON'T to Broadway this spring (retitled ZANNA).

Why on earth do these people think that a show that couldn't manage a decent off-Broadway run will be able to fill a Broadway house at Broadway musical prices? Glad my money is still sitting in the bank. Someone must need a tax write-off very badly.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #24 on: November 04, 2004, 08:24:38 AM »

"But I just played it!"

Liebestraum!
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Stuart

• No one is alone.....
« Reply #25 on: November 04, 2004, 08:29:09 AM »

Liebestraum!

Miss Channing's guests would like to know when they might be able to view the body.....

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #26 on: November 04, 2004, 08:31:52 AM »

Miss Channing's guests would like to know when they might be able to view the body.....

Hee hee hee...we could go on and on with this...
-- Anaïs Nin

DERBRUCER

« Reply #27 on: November 04, 2004, 08:33:46 AM »

all, particularly DREmily who asked about the election, might be interested in seeing today's NY TIMES op-ed page

www.nytimes.com/2004/11/04/opinion/04dowd.html?th

You know, if Dowd and the rest of the Bush conspiracists had looked up from their bowl of Hate George pudding they could have focused more energy on the Senate races. Coburn and DeMint were beatable, and more to the point more energy exerted in the 6 Senate races wing-nut Republicans won by 2% or less  (AL Murkowski - 49,FL Martinez – 49, KYBunning – 51, LA Vitter 51, NC Burr 52, SD Thune – 51) could have resulted in a Democrat controlled Senate. Even if only a few of the aforementioned were defeated, when you add in the moderate Republicans (Snowe, Collins, Chafee, Specter) we would have had a Senate immune from rubber-stamping  reactionary Court appointments.

The Hate/Fear factor played out on both sides of the equation - I "hated" Kerry more than I feared Bush. Presented with a different Democrat (Joe Lieberman, for example) I would have gladly punched the
"D" hole.

I was also pleased to live in a state (DE) which though it went for Kerry (53%) and re-elected a Democrat Gov (51%), saved it's largest margin (69%) for it's Republican Congressman, Mike Castle, who is pro-Choice, supports gay rights, is a champion of the enviroment, and is leading the charge to change Congress' position on stem cell research.

If instead of bouncing off their respective "wing walls" the centrists in both parties forged the common ground which is right in front of our faces, we could, indeed, make a difference.

der Brucer (a living, breathing oxymoron - a Progressive Republican)

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #28 on: November 04, 2004, 08:38:23 AM »

I see that some foolhardy producers are bringing a new production of ZANNA DON'T to Broadway this spring (retitled ZANNA).

Why on earth do these people think that a show that couldn't manage a decent off-Broadway run will be able to fill a Broadway house at Broadway musical prices? Glad my money is still sitting in the bank. Someone must need a tax write-off very badly.

In the meanwhile, the investors of August Wilson's Gem of the Ocean decided to pull out at the last minute (they're probably the same ones who are jumping into Zanna.)  Hopefully, Sean Combs will follow through with his offer to help out.
-- Anaïs Nin

Matt H.

« Reply #29 on: November 04, 2004, 08:42:33 AM »

Very disappointed to read this morning that the boxed set of Marx Brothers Paramount films (unquestionably their best screen work), which are to be released on DVD next Tuesday,  are the exact same transfers that Image released some years ago. No new masters, no restorations, no nothing! What a crashing disappointment!  :(
« Last Edit: November 04, 2004, 08:43:36 AM by Matt H. »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Up