Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: TINKLING THE IVORIES  (Read 24773 times)

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
Re:TINKLING THE IVORIES
« Reply #30 on: November 04, 2004, 08:43:11 AM »

This should bring some cheer to many!

Meanwhile, Attorney General John Ashcroft  is expected to turn in his resignation, sources told FOX News. Ashcroft has, for months, signaled his desire to leave the Justice Department, sources said, and he could leave as early as January.

der Brucer
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #31 on: November 04, 2004, 08:44:49 AM »

This should bring some cheer to many!der Brucer

Dahlink, you made my day!
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #32 on: November 04, 2004, 09:00:45 AM »

MattH: I'm sure you read that online about the Marx DVDs, but I have the set and have compared the Duck Soup DVD to the Image DVD and it is not the same transfer - the contrast is better as is the sound.  I have no idea if it's the same source material, but if it is they've done something to it, because the Image disc had grayish contrast and tinny sound.  I've also read things online that would lead me to believe they are not the same transfers.  Universal has issued many of the titles Image and Good Times did first and they all have new and better transfers.

elmore and Shayne: Interesting that that Emma Goldman scene is from the book.  It sounds like they filmed it exactly.  I didn't really care for the actress playing Goldman, that was part of the problem.  The scene is from a black and white work print, so it didn't look so hot, so maybe had it been in color and mixed and scored I might have liked it better.   But it really would have slowed down the pace of the film at that point.  And no, Emma Goldman now appears nowhere in the film of Ragtime.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #33 on: November 04, 2004, 09:02:46 AM »

My favorite jazz pianist is Bill Evans.  Classical pianist - I really like Philippe Entremont on his Columbia recordings, especially with Eugene Ormandy (Gershwin, etc.).  And I've enjoyed Earl Wild, too, especially in his Rachmaninov recordings.  

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #34 on: November 04, 2004, 09:07:16 AM »

Are there any Marian McPartland fans out there?  Love to hear her play and love to hear her talk.  
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #35 on: November 04, 2004, 09:20:58 AM »

Yes, I always enjoy Marian McPartland and have several CDs of hers.  I have also always adored Mr. George Shearing, especially his beautiful piano solo album, The Shearing Piano, now on CD from Angel.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #36 on: November 04, 2004, 09:26:04 AM »

Let's not forget the piano artistry of Jonathan Edwards, in a class all his own.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

William F. Orr

• Jeeper Creepers!
« Reply #37 on: November 04, 2004, 09:45:11 AM »

I will leave aside the tickling of the ivories to add, a day or so late, mine own particular rant on the election.

Last weekend, I phoned my sister-in-law in California.  Four years ago, when she lived here in NY, she must have been the only person in the State who cast a ballot for both Bush and Hillary ("I don't like the way Gore looks.")

Me:  "I suppose you're voting for Bush again."

She:  "I already voted absentee, because I'm handicapped.  Yes, I voted for Bush.  But I voted for Stem Cell Research."

"You disagree with Bush on that?"

"Yes."

"But you like his stand on abortion?"

"No."

"You agree with him on gay marriage?"

"No."

"The environment?"

"No."

"Health care?"  (She's a nurse.)

"No."

"You're glad we invaded Iraq?"

"No.  But I figure as long as we're there, we ought to finish the job.  And I don't like the way Kerry looks.  He keeps changing his mind."

Her husband btb (by the bye in Internet Lingo) is in the Reserves and has already served one tour of duty over there.
"Champagne to my real friends, and real pain to my sham friends!"
--Wayland Flowers

William F. Orr

• Jeeper Creepers!
« Reply #38 on: November 04, 2004, 09:55:50 AM »

And then there was the student of mine who asked in class, "I'm not registered yet.  Does anyone know if it's too late to register?  I really haven't paid much attention to the election.  I thought everyone was talking about Jim Carey."

I suggested that perhaps she shouldn't bother to register.

So now  my own great pronouncement on WHY BUSH WON, to be added to those of hundreds of other pundits across the nation:

WHY BUSH WON:

H. L. Mencken said it.
--Wayland Flowers

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #39 on: November 04, 2004, 09:58:02 AM »

Lurie: I'm producing and playing the piano.  Mr. Haines is coming in in the later afternoon to sing.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #40 on: November 04, 2004, 09:58:44 AM »

"No.  But I figure as long as we're there, we ought to finish the job.  And I don't like the way Kerry looks.  He keeps changing his mind."

He changed his mind about the war!  I would have voted for war in 2001 as well.  Hello, THE ADMINISTRATION LIED TO ALL OF US ABOUT IRAQ!

Poor Bill Clinton, everytime he passed gas, Kenneth Starr was all over him.  So he lied about his penchant for extramarital sex?  George Bush lies about weapons of mass destruction and no one does a thing!
« Last Edit: November 04, 2004, 09:59:09 AM by elmore3003 »

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #41 on: November 04, 2004, 10:08:18 AM »

Thanks for the MacDowell information DRELMORE.  I had read a bit about his life - but didn't know too much....now I may know TOO MUCH!  LOL

Ah yes Bette in DECEPTION (Pate' - chock full of vitamins!).  And Mary Astor in THE GREAT LIE (Whoever heard of an OUNCE of brandy?)!

I give it to Mary because she played my favorite piano/orchestra Tchiak's First Piano Concerto in B Flat Minor (mentioned by DRMATTH) - I also had/have the Van Cliburn recording on LP and extended 45.

And then there was Cornel Wilde as Chopin - Technicolor blood on the keys!  And those candleabras (this is where Liberace got the idea).

Jonathan Edwards to be sure, and Victor Borge!  And I liked to watch Liberace on tv when I was small.  He looked like he was having such a good time!  And of course Ed Norton preparing Ralph for the tv contest!
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #42 on: November 04, 2004, 10:09:56 AM »

MR BK I think having a "backer's audition" piano for the CD is a terrific and appropriate idea!

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #43 on: November 04, 2004, 10:35:45 AM »

Good Afternoon!

Yeah!  It's a beautiful sunny day here in Houston today.  Finally!  Of course, I'm still inside my hotel room, so... Hmmm...

As for today's topic... let's see if I can control myself ;)

Favorite composers and pieces:
-Debussy - I like all of "it", but I'm especially fond of his earlier pieces, especially "La plus que lente".  But I also marvel everytime I listen to - and attempt to play - the "Etudes".
-Ravel - Again, I like all of "it".  For my graduation recital, I played two selections from "Miroirs" ("Oiseaux tristes", and "Alborado del gracioso").
-Gershwin - The Three Preludes (well, now it's something like Five or Seven after the latest research)
-Rachmaninov - The Preludes (especially the D Major from the first opus)
-Tchaikovsky - Even though a lot of his solo output falls into the "salon music" category for some ears, there are some true gems among some of his opuses - opi?.  And "The Seasons" - which are really "The Months" are a wonderful set.
-Ginastera - My piano teacher in college introduced me the music of this Argentinian composer.  The later, more atonal works don't really sit too well with me, but the "American Preludes", "Danzas Criollas", and the first Piano Sonata manage to combine moments of barbarism with sheer aching beauty.
-Chopin - The Preludes, the Etudes, the Waltzes, the Scherzos, the Mazurkas, the Sonatas, the Berceuse(!), etc., etc., etc...

As for piano and orchestra:
-Beethoven - Piano Concerto, No. 1 - It was my first piece I ever performed with an orchestra, so.. :)
-Ravel - Piano Concerto in G
-Dohnyani - Variations on a Nursery Tune ("Ah, vous dirai-je, Maman", "Twinkle, Twinkle"...)
-Liszt - Totentanz (variations on the Dies Irae)
-Rachmaninov - Piano Concerto, No. 2 and 3 (or "Rocky 2 and 3" as the piano geeks used to call them).
-Prokofiev - Piano Concerto, No. 3 - and, actually, No. 2 is pretty amazing too.
-Gershwin - Rhapsody in Blue, and BOTH Piano Concertos.  -Yes, the 2nd one recycles some movie themes, but I find it makes for some good listening.

Favorite pianists:
-Walter Gieseking - His Debussy recordings have, thankfully, been reissued a couple of time on CD already.  -And I also keep meaning to check if his recordings of the Hindemith piano sonatas have been releases.  -Well, I'm not sure if he ever recorded them... I know he "concertized" them, so...
-Robert Casadesus - For his Ravel.
-Vladimir Ashkenazy - Almost everything he has every recorded especially the Russian repertoire.
-Emil Gilels - I still turn to his recordings of the Brahms' piano concertos with Jochum when I want to listen to them.  And his Grieg "Lyric Pieces" are another music library staple.
-Mitsuko Uchida - Mozart, and her Debussy "Etudes".
-Andras Schiff - Bach, Bach, Bach
-Martha Argerich - Yes, she can be a bit "eccentric" at times, but her technical prowess is simply awesome: Ravel's "Gaspard de la nuit"; Prokofiev's Piano Concerto, No. 2; Liszt's Piano Concerto, No. 1 ("She doesn't stretch out those opening leaps!?!??"), and her Tchaikovsky Piano Concerto, No. 1 is pretty good too. ;)
-Richard Goode - His complete Beethoven sonatas.
-Krystian Zimmerman - Anything he has recorded.  I just wish he would make more than one appearance in the US every other year.
-Stephen Kovacevich (used to be Steven Bishop-Kovacevich).  -If his cycle of the Beethoven Piano Concerti are still available on Philips budget line, they're more than worth the minor investment.

As for movie pianists:
"The Competition" will always hold a special place in my heart... Richard Dreyfuss' piano faking is/was not done well (but "he" does "play" the finale of the Ginastera first piano sonata), but Amy Irving does a pretty good job.
"Madame Souzatska" - Even though Shirley MacLaine is the star, the young man in the movie does a fine job of "faking".  -Which he should, since he was coached by Barry Douglas (got to love those Irish men!) who also makes an appearance in the movie.
Make Your Own Luck.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #44 on: November 04, 2004, 10:38:40 AM »

Oh - Dirk Bogarde as Franz Liszt in SONG WITHOUT END which also starred Capucine and Genevieve Page....and Alex Davion (Ted Casablanca himself) as Chopin.

William F. Orr

• Jeeper Creepers!
« Reply #45 on: November 04, 2004, 10:42:56 AM »

Poor Bill Clinton, everytime he passed gas, Kenneth Starr was all over him.  So he lied about his penchant for extramarital sex?  George Bush lies about weapons of mass destruction and no one does a thing!

And Oliver North has his own TV show.  And is lionized as a Great Patriot by some for breaking the law, selling weapons to our enemies, and lying about it to Congress.  Well, at least he never got a bj that we know of.  
--Wayland Flowers

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #46 on: November 04, 2004, 10:43:08 AM »

Anna Patty Duke Falk Tell Astin Pearce is recovering from open heart surgery at a hospital in Idaho.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #47 on: November 04, 2004, 10:44:53 AM »

And speaking of Amy Irving in "The Competition"...

The one scene that stuck in my mind was when she's playing the final movement of the Prokofiev Third, and she starts playing all those "glisses".  Up and down the keyboard, just "strumming" the keys...

Well, fast forward a few years later... When I first bought the two-piano score for the concerto...  "Where are the glisses?  Where's the section?"  Well...

Imagine my surprise - and shock - when I found that section, and saw that it was notated to be "played" and not "glissed".  The notes are actually notated to be played with one finger hitting two notes at once.  -Those big Russian hands and fingers!

Over the years, I've had a chance to ask various concert pianists about that passage and how they play it.  Some just do the "gliss" thing, others just play really(!) fast(!!!) scales back and forth during that section, and some actually do play the double-notes.

Practice.  Practice.  Practice.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #48 on: November 04, 2004, 10:50:25 AM »

...and then there's that passage in the final movement of Beethoven's "Waldstein" piano sonata.  -Op. 53 (? - not sure right now)...

There's a series of running octaves in both hands.  Some people simplify it by just playing the octaves in single notes.  Others just do a timed "gliss" in octaves (which is what I do/did).  Others can actually play those octaves at the required speed.  Well...

There's a great story about when Rudolf Serkin would perform the "Waldstein".  Right before that passage, he would quickly and almost stealthily bring his fingers up to his mouth and he would lightly lick(!) his pinky and thumb!  He was literally lubricating his fingers for the octave glissandos!
Make Your Own Luck.

Stuart

• No one is alone.....
« Reply #49 on: November 04, 2004, 10:52:41 AM »

Anna Patty Duke Falk Tell Astin Pearce is recovering from open heart surgery at a hospital in Idaho.

It is NOT a nuthouse!
« Last Edit: November 04, 2004, 10:53:10 AM by Stuart »

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #50 on: November 04, 2004, 10:56:02 AM »

Oh... And as for jazz pianists: George Shearing, Marian MacPartland, Oscar Peterson and Bill Charlap.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #51 on: November 04, 2004, 10:58:37 AM »

It is NOT a nuthouse!

I say "nuthouse", you say "hospital".

I say "vacation", you say "sanitorium".

I say "unspecified medical condition", you say "plastic surgery".

;)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #52 on: November 04, 2004, 11:01:58 AM »

As for my visit to New York next week...

It's looking like Wednesday afternoon/evening will be the most "open" time for me and Steve.  -The Cinderella IDR will be Wednesday at 11:30am(?!?).

-I'm sure we'll all be coordinating in the next couple of days.

:D
Make Your Own Luck.

DERBRUCER

« Reply #53 on: November 04, 2004, 11:03:54 AM »

Good Afternoon!

... there are some true gems among some of his opuses - opi?.  

::crosses fingers::

I am lothe to critize or act the pedant...

:: uncrosses fingers::

"opus" is third declension neuter, the plural is "opera".

other examples: caput, capita; iter, iters; mare, maria; cor, corda.

There - feel enlightened 8)

der Brutus-er

DERBRUCER

« Reply #54 on: November 04, 2004, 11:09:20 AM »

Right before that passage, he would quickly and almost stealthily bring his fingers up to his mouth and he would lightly lick(!) his pinky and thumb!  He was literally lubricating his fingers for the octave glissandos!

That explains the tubs of Lube in the pit!

der nasty Brucer

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #55 on: November 04, 2004, 11:19:56 AM »

::crosses fingers::

I am lothe to critize or act the pedant...

:: uncrosses fingers::

"opus" is third declension neuter, the plural is "opera".

other examples: caput, capita; iter, iters; mare, maria; cor, corda.

There - feel enlightened 8)

der Brutus-er

Danke...

Btw, isn't it "loathe" not "lothe"? ;)
Make Your Own Luck.

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #56 on: November 04, 2004, 11:21:21 AM »

Favoirite solo piano piece:  Beethoven's "Eroica" Variations

Favorite piano concerto:  Beethoven's Fifth in E-flat Major ("The Emperor")

Favorite classical pianist:  Glenn Gould

Favorite jazz pianist:  Erroll Garner
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #57 on: November 04, 2004, 11:23:14 AM »

My favourite piano piece is easy because it also happens to be one of my favourite film scores:  It is the Twilight Waltz or Valse Crepusulaire, the major theme from the movie PROVIDENCE by Miklos Rozsa.  And like all Dr. Rozsa's music is haunting, sweeping, and terribly romantic and stirring.  After the PRIVATE LIFE OF SHERLOCK HOLMES, also by Dr. Rozsa, PROVIDENCE is probably my favourite film score.

BK, during his Bay City days,actually executive-produced a Rozsa album, A DOUBLE LIFE, that has the PROVIDENCE theme being played on guitar.  I'm listening to it now.  BK, during your days at Bay City or Varese Sarabande did you ever have the chance to meet the maestro?

After Providence, my favourite piece would probably be REVERIE by Debussy.  A popular tune, MY REVERIE, immortalized by Larry Clinton and his Orchestra, is The Lovely Wife's and my song, which is what introduced me to its Debussy origin.  I'm quite fond of most of Debussy and Rachmanoff... I was introduced to the latter through Tom Ewell in THE SEVEN YEAR ITCH.  My sister got me an album of Rachmanoff as a joke and I was hooked ever since.

I also have a record of Carmen Cavellaro playing piano ala Duchin from the soundtrack of THE EDDY DUCHIN STORY.  His renditions of "Brazil" and "Dizzy Fingers" have always been favs.

MattH, I agree with your downside comments about BRIGADOON, the full fledged score is wonderful and it would have been nice to have heard more of it in the movie, but at least they used it and didn't re-write totally different numbers as has been done too often with screen adaptations.

DERBRUCER, you made my day.  Ashcroft gone!  Now if only Rumsfeld, Cheney, and the other neo-cons disappeared, Bush would be a little more easier to take.  Stupidity is easier to forgive than outright, unabashed Evil.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2004, 11:25:39 AM by Charles Pogue »

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #58 on: November 04, 2004, 11:27:55 AM »

Forgot to mention:

Favorite Film Involving a Piano:  1939's Intermezzo with Mr. Leslie Howard and Miss Ingrid Bergman
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #59 on: November 04, 2004, 11:29:49 AM »

That explains the tubs of Lube in the pit!

der nasty Brucer

...and the dim lighting and black clothes!!!

:o
Make Your Own Luck.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Up