Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: TINKLING THE IVORIES  (Read 25040 times)

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
Re:TINKLING THE IVORIES
« Reply #90 on: November 04, 2004, 01:53:04 PM »

I am planning something for my 5000th post which will take place soon!
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #91 on: November 04, 2004, 01:55:20 PM »

After I saw the Broadway version of RAGTIME (which I thought was close to a masterpiece), I went back to the book and found it quite wonderful. I still think the moviemakers did the right thing condensing that hefty narrative and all those plots, but the stage show was a terrific compromise between the more simplistic film and the much weightier tome.

I knew Michael Weller in the early 1980s since he was friends with the owners of The Drama Bookshop and my roommate Melanie.  I told him I was disappointed that the movie focused on the Coalhouse Walker plot and didn't balance all the plot elements of the novel, which I read the day it was released.  I was so bummed, after NASHVILLE, when the film was taken away from Altman.   My memory is that Michael said his original screenplay was more of the novel and that the director and producers made the final decisions.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #92 on: November 04, 2004, 01:55:49 PM »

Stop him, someone!
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #93 on: November 04, 2004, 01:56:29 PM »

Page Four Dance!!   ;D

I don't think this is working.

LOL DRELMORE
« Last Edit: November 04, 2004, 01:58:11 PM by JRand54 »

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #94 on: November 04, 2004, 01:59:18 PM »

Page Four Dance!!   ;D

I don't think this is working.

LOL DRELMORE

I was about to say the same thing... I guess you're modifying as I type.
Make Your Own Luck.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #95 on: November 04, 2004, 02:02:05 PM »

Meant to talk about RAGTIME this morning and forgot. I adore the film and at the time found it a brilliant distillation of the (for me) almost unreadable book.

DRMattH, I had a similar problem with CATCH-22, which I loathed the first two times I tried to read it; couldn't get past the first chapter.  The third time, I read the first chapter, laughed hysterically, and laughed through almost all of the book.  By the full description of Snowden's (?) death, I was weeping profusely.  What a great novel.

I need to see the film of RAGTIME again since I haven't seen it since its first release.  I was disappointed in the diminishing of the other plots in favor of Coalhouse Walker's story, and I thought Altman proved with NASHVILLE that he could have kept a better balance.  Now, with the passing of time, I'd probably enjoy it more.  My memory of reading the book in 1976 is how funny it was, and then Sarah was killed and Doctorow pulled the carpet out from under you.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #96 on: November 04, 2004, 02:03:37 PM »

This is not voodoo.  Allison Hayes will not rise from the dead like Vampira, even if they do own the same brassiere.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #97 on: November 04, 2004, 02:05:32 PM »

So...

Any NYCers or NYC-knowledgeable types have any suggestions for some culinary diversions off the beaten path?

-Of course, the more I "plan" next week, the more I wish I was there for more than just three days this time round.
Make Your Own Luck.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #98 on: November 04, 2004, 02:07:22 PM »

-Of course, the more I "plan" next week, the more I wish I was there for more than just three days this time round.

What happened to your relocation plans?

Tomovoz

« Reply #99 on: November 04, 2004, 02:07:47 PM »

Maybe I was fortunate to see the film of "Ragtime" before I read the book. It was the Randy Newman score that was my incentive to see the movie.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #100 on: November 04, 2004, 02:23:48 PM »

For the first time in a week, we're having a nighttime rehearsal; the kids are being added to the show tonight, so who knows how late I'll be logging back in tonight?

The script called for four children; the director cast eight. [gulp]
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #101 on: November 04, 2004, 02:25:19 PM »

For post number 5000 - here is Miss Judy Garland!  ;D

Thanks to HHW and all the wonderful people here!

Get Happy!!!

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #102 on: November 04, 2004, 02:28:32 PM »

What happened to your relocation plans?

Well... I'm off for three weeks after A Chorus Line... Then I start Hallelujah, Baby at Arena on December 1.  That closes February 13, 2005.  After that... Hmmm...
« Last Edit: November 04, 2004, 02:29:21 PM by JoseSPiano »
Make Your Own Luck.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #103 on: November 04, 2004, 02:31:07 PM »

For post number 5000 - here is Miss Judy Garland!  ;D

Thanks to HHW and all the wonderful people here!

Get Happy!!!

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]  HAPPY 5,000, DRJRAND54, and 5,000 MORE YEARS!!! :-* :-* :-* :-* ;D ;D ;D ??? ??? ??? ;D ;D ;D :-* :-* :-*[/move]

MBarnum

« Reply #104 on: November 04, 2004, 02:32:05 PM »

Wow, 5000 posts! I have some catching up to do!

Tomovoz

« Reply #105 on: November 04, 2004, 02:39:39 PM »

Congratulations DR JRand. May your next 5000 be just as happy.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #106 on: November 04, 2004, 02:44:30 PM »

The really amusing thing about the front page of the Mirror is that, I believe the Mirror is one of the lower-class tabloids in Britain.  So if their readers think we're stupid for re-electing Bush, how scary is that?

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #107 on: November 04, 2004, 02:53:53 PM »

For the first time in a week, we're having a nighttime rehearsal; the kids are being added to the show tonight, so who knows how late I'll be logging back in tonight?

The script called for four children; the director cast eight. [gulp]

Quite a few years ago, I saw a locally produced high school production of Into the Woods and they had four, yes FOUR, princes!  They split the lines between them!  AND they had several "phantoms" who moved sets around (not a bad idea) but then they also took some of the Mysterious Man's lines (a very bad idea)!!
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #108 on: November 04, 2004, 02:56:32 PM »

Quite a few years ago, I saw a locally produced high school production of Into the Woods and they had four, yes FOUR, princes!  They split the lines between them!  AND they had several "phantoms" who moved sets around (not a bad idea) but then they also took some of the Mysterious Man's lines (a very bad idea)!!

I once saw a dreadful community theatre OKLAHOMA! in which the egocentric director danced the Dream Curly, but since he didn't want anyone (hah!) to know it was he, everyone wore masks.  The ballet looked like the Rockettes in THE BRIDE OF ZORRO.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2004, 02:57:19 PM by elmore3003 »

Ben

« Reply #109 on: November 04, 2004, 03:26:35 PM »

Tonight, courtesy of Actor's Equity, I will be seeing Brooklyn. I knew I could get a discounted ticket but free is even better. Especially after reading the reviews. It will be interesting to say the least. I hear there is good talent in a not so good show.

Report later.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #110 on: November 04, 2004, 03:59:27 PM »

The really amusing thing about the front page of the Mirror is that, I believe the Mirror is one of the lower-class tabloids in Britain.  So if their readers think we're stupid for re-electing Bush, how scary is that?

Yes, perhaps, but how smart are their editors?

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #111 on: November 04, 2004, 04:35:59 PM »

Matt H asked “DR Jane, I'm just curious if there was a Democrat that you did feel passionate about before Kerry got the nod?”

I never really had a chance.  I knew by the time the primaries came to Oregon the decision would likely have been made already.  In spite of that, if I had not been dealing with family and pet issues I would have been more involved.  Early on Hart got my attention.  If he had not blown his nomination years ago he would have had my vote.  For those who did run, I guess Gerhardt was interesting, maybe Lieberman but Lieberman did not do well in the debates last time.  

I guess I could have simply said no. ;D

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #112 on: November 04, 2004, 04:38:40 PM »

Jose we also buy the Garden Burgers at Costco.  Unless desperate we do not order frozen veggie burgers from a restaurant.  Some places make their own which usually are very good.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #113 on: November 04, 2004, 04:40:25 PM »

I think I will play some LP's tonight.  DR's - which artist or group do you have the MOST recordings by?

I just found 5 Glen Campbell LP's in my collection!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #114 on: November 04, 2004, 04:41:18 PM »

DRJOSE didn't you say that you and  friend Steve might be getting closer...as the saying goes?

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #115 on: November 04, 2004, 04:55:24 PM »

WOW!  The TOD compelled me to look at my LP's.  I found Van Cliburn playing Rachmaninoff's Greatest Hits.   Joe Bushkin Plays 50 Irving Berlin Hits, and Leonard Pennario plays the Spanish Piano.  

Has any DR heard of Pennario or Bushkin?

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #116 on: November 04, 2004, 05:09:31 PM »

Pogue: I, too, love the score to Providence.  I think Rozsa was too sick to see me on the day when I was going to meet him (through our mutual pal, Tony Thomas).  However, he did sign my Providence LP, which I still have (boxed up somewhere in the garage).  

Back from the studio.  The session was lots of fun, and thanks to the wonder of Pro Tools I was able to fix my several piano mistakes quite easily.  Alet, Tammy, Barbara and Guy all did well.  Next week I'll be mixing the thing and it will be done in plenty of time to ship with the books.  Now, if only Mr. Mark Bakalor will get the Writer's Block website up, we can begin taking orders.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #117 on: November 04, 2004, 05:27:18 PM »

WOW!  The TOD compelled me to look at my LP's.  I found Van Cliburn playing Rachmaninoff's Greatest Hits.   Joe Bushkin Plays 50 Irving Berlin Hits, and Leonard Pennario plays the Spanish Piano.  

Has any DR heard of Pennario or Bushkin?

Leonard Pennario is a fantastic pianist!  I have a recording of  him playing Louis Moreau Gottschalk, a fantastic American pianist/composer who died shortly after the Civil War.  His music, especially pieces like "Bamboula," seem to be a combination of Joplin and Chopin.  I recommend this CD a lot.

I should have mentioned Gottschalk's "Grande Tarantelle for Piano and Orchestra" as another great piano-orchestra piece.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #118 on: November 04, 2004, 05:28:36 PM »

Now, if only Mr. Mark Bakalor will get the Writer's Block website up, we can begin taking orders.

Well, my credit card's hot and ready to go to work!

François de Paris

« Reply #119 on: November 04, 2004, 05:33:10 PM »

In International Herald Tribune dated Thursday 4, November:

"The actress Patty Duke was having single heart bypass surgery Wednesday.
Duke, 57, .... was admitted to the center -- / which one, they don't say !!! / -- last spring for insertion of a stent in one of her arteries to improve blood flow....."

"Prince Rainier (81) of Monaco has returned to his palace after spending a week in a hospital with a lung infection...Rainier....was admitted to the hospital on Oct. 26.  He was hospitalized earlier this year with coronary problems."
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Up