Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: THE DAY RUNNER STRIKES BACK  (Read 3889 times)

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
Re: THE DAY RUNNER STRIKES BACK
« Reply #30 on: March 14, 2016, 05:21:19 AM »

First, more coffee.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #31 on: March 14, 2016, 05:21:51 AM »

!!  2  !!
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

ChasSmith

« Reply #32 on: March 14, 2016, 05:40:20 AM »

Good morning, all.

On this Daylight Savings Monday.

ChasSmith

« Reply #33 on: March 14, 2016, 05:41:30 AM »

Keep those Day Runner notes coming!

Ginny

« Reply #34 on: March 14, 2016, 05:45:07 AM »

Monday morning greetings!  I have a cardiologist appointment this morning and a pulmonologist appointment this afternoon.  All in all, I'd rather be coloring...
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Ginny

« Reply #35 on: March 14, 2016, 05:45:37 AM »

BK, I'm enjoying the DayRunner posts, too.  They make me want to look back at my DayTimers!
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #36 on: March 14, 2016, 06:13:26 AM »

I'm up, I'm up - briefly and barely - forgot this:

Kritzerland is proud to present the world premiere release of the complete soundtracks to two classic Twentieth Century Fox movies on a great 2-CD set:

SUN VALLEY SERENADE and ORCHESTRA WIVES

Musical Direction by Alfred Newman and Emil Newman
Featuring The Glenn Miller Orchestra
Songs by Harry Warren and Mack Gordon

It’s funny how music can define an entire era, and Glenn Miller’s unique sound did just that.  It was no surprise when Twentieth Century Fox snapped up Miller and his band for the movies.  He only did two but they were perfect vehicles. They were cleverly built around him, and he was surrounded by excellent actors, singers, and dancers.   The stories were simple, they didn’t overstay their welcome,  and the music was superb.

Sun Valley Serenade (1941), featured Norwegian figure skater Sonja Henie, John Payne, Milton Berle, Lynn Bari, Joan Davis, Dorothy Dandridge, the amazing The Nicholas Brothers, and, of course, Glenn Miller and his orchestra, along with The Modernaires.
In addition to some Miller classics (“Moonlight Serenade,” “In the Mood”), the movie also featured a few great songs by Harry Warren and Mack Gordon, including a song that would become one of Miller’s biggest hits, “Chattanooga Choo Choo,” which, in the film, is a spectacular production number with Dandridge and The Nicholas Brothers.   Another great new song, “At Last,” was also recorded for the film, but wasn’t used, except as background music for several scenes.  The song itself would end up in the next Miller film, because Sun Valley Serenade proved to be so popular, that Fox immediately put another Glenn Miller vehicle before the camera, this one entitled Orchestra Wives.

Orchestra Wives was a bit more serious than the light and airy Sun Valley Serenade.  This time the cast included George Montgomery, Ann Rutherford, Lynn Bari, Cesar Romero, Marion Hutton (sister of Betty), The Modernaires, and, of course, The Nicholas Brothers.  We also get some wonderful Harry Warren and Mack Gordon songs, including “At Last” (the castoff from Sun Valley Serenade), “Serenade in Blue,” “People Like You and Me,” and the instant classic, “I’ve Got a Gal in Kalamazoo.”  The latter was, like “Chattanooga Choo Choo,” nominated for an Oscar for Best Song.

This is the first time Sun Valley Serenade and Orchestra Wives are being released complete, each CD close to eighty minutes in length.  Previous LP and CD releases didn’t have particularly good sound, but for this release the sound has been lovingly restored by Mike Matessino from the Fox vault elements – it’s safe to say, you’ve never heard these scores sounding like this.   It should be noted that while the films were given a synthesized stereo treatment in the early 1990s for home video, all of the original music elements are, in fact, mono.  Yet they remain as clear and vibrant as the day they were recorded. All the songs, the incidental scoring, and some amazing bonus material is all here.  While some of the bonus material had made it onto CD, it was taken directly from the films themselves and sounded horrible.  And there are quite a few never-before-released tracks.   

Sun Valley Serenade/Orchestra Wives is limited to 1000 copies only and is priced at $29.98, plus shipping.

CDs will ship by the first week of May, but we’ve actually been averaging three to five weeks early in terms of shipping ahead of the official ship date.  To place an order, see the cover, or hear audio samples, just visit www.kritzerland.com.

ATTENTION INDIEGOGO CONTRIBUTORS:  FOR THIS RELEASE – IF YOU WANT TO OPT-OUT OF RECEIVING IT YOU WILL NEED TO SEND US AN E-MAIL OPTING OUT PRIOR TO THE DATE IT SHIPS – SEND TO kritzerland@gmail.com.  IF YOU WISH TO RECEIVE IT, YOU DON”T NEED TO DO ANYTHING.  IF YOU ARE NOT AN INDIEGOGO CONTRIBUTOR, ORDER AS YOU NORMALLY WOULD.  THANK YOU.

ChasSmith

« Reply #37 on: March 14, 2016, 06:20:09 AM »

Those soundtracks will be new to the likes of me, and I look forward to hearing them in all their original mono glory.

ChasSmith

« Reply #38 on: March 14, 2016, 06:25:03 AM »

Well, here it is, gang.  Post 13000! 

Modest, of course, in comparison to you oldies here.  But a nice round number nonetheless, brought in in just under four years. 

Wait.  Four years?  Pshaw!  Maybe I need to up my game.

ChasSmith

« Reply #39 on: March 14, 2016, 06:41:47 AM »

The great thing for me about this range of Day Runner entries is that these are my early years living in L.A.  My friend and I pulled into Hollywood on Saturday, June 10th, 1972, and took a small apartment for one week on Orange Dr. behind the Chinese.  (I remember it as Orange; there's some question as to whether it was Orchid instead, but I'd have to stand in front of the few remaining two-story apartment structures to have any hope of determining which it was.)  A week later I'd secured the apartment at Franklin and Whitley that would be home for the next three years.

Ginny

« Reply #40 on: March 14, 2016, 06:42:13 AM »

Well, here it is, gang.  Post 13000! 

Modest, of course, in comparison to you oldies here.  But a nice round number nonetheless, brought in in just under four years. 

Wait.  Four years?  Pshaw!  Maybe I need to up my game.

Congratulations, DR ChasSmith!

ChasSmith

« Reply #41 on: March 14, 2016, 06:51:33 AM »

Thank you, DR Ginny!

Not only that, but I sat here and MADE myself figure out how to preserve the big moment. 
Let's see if this will paste in decently....

Ginny

« Reply #42 on: March 14, 2016, 06:53:02 AM »

Good morning, all.

On this Daylight Savings Monday.

Could that be why I woke up at 6:30 this morning?

ChasSmith

« Reply #43 on: March 14, 2016, 07:13:05 AM »

This one's for DR Elmore.  We were talking about seeing Merman, and I have this one memory which is barely even that -- I just ABOUT remember actually sitting there and watching her on stage.   

ChasSmith

« Reply #44 on: March 14, 2016, 07:14:57 AM »

I'm still looking for the "Clear Day" program from around that time.  It's buried somewhere.

I've taken out my score and recording, and am going to enjoy re-familiarizing myself with it.

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
« Reply #45 on: March 14, 2016, 07:16:13 AM »

Good morning, all.

Happy Monday vibes. Callback vibes for George.

“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #46 on: March 14, 2016, 07:16:37 AM »

Add me to the "Loving the Day Runner Stories" list.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #47 on: March 14, 2016, 07:20:14 AM »

BK, many thanks for this upcoming CD release. Years ago, I had the stereo CD of Miller's work for these two soundtracks, but I loaned it out and never got it back. Then I bought the cheap release that includes more music, but the sound was horrible.

Now, I'm going to get great sound, "The Kiss Polka" and all the rest.

Yee and haw.

I'm still waiting for someone to release Sun Valley Serenade on DVD. Thanks to DR Michael, I watch it now on YouTube, but it isn't the same.
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #48 on: March 14, 2016, 07:27:40 AM »

To add to the Arthur Miller discussion: A View from the Bridge is more effective and affecting IMO than Salesman.

I also remember seeing a production of The Price at the Berkshire Theater Festival years ago that was wonderful because the actors had such a good time doing it. I don't recall as much emotional involvement in Salesman.
― Voltaire

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #49 on: March 14, 2016, 07:36:41 AM »

What the hell time is it?
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #50 on: March 14, 2016, 07:37:17 AM »

I also am enjoying the Day Runner posts.  Most entertaining!!!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #51 on: March 14, 2016, 07:37:34 AM »

Great CD Release!!!!  Looking forward to it!!!

Amy

« Reply #52 on: March 14, 2016, 08:06:40 AM »

TOD:
I love the Day Runner palaver! And I don't even know what a pavaler is. Anyway, even though I've read your biographies, I still find it very interesting.

John G.

« Reply #53 on: March 14, 2016, 08:27:39 AM »

TOD:
I love the Day Runner palaver! And I don't even know what a pavaler is. Anyway, even though I've read your biographies, I still find it very interesting.

Stephen King festoons his prose with the word "palaver" a little too much for my tastes.
― Voltaire

Ginny

« Reply #54 on: March 14, 2016, 08:38:39 AM »

Dr. Brown sees no cardiac reason for my cough and concurs with Dr. Frazer about the referral to a pulmonologist.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #55 on: March 14, 2016, 08:47:44 AM »

This one's for DR Elmore.  We were talking about seeing Merman, and I have this one memory which is barely even that -- I just ABOUT remember actually sitting there and watching her on stage.   

Well, my friend John deMain isn't conducting but my late friend Billy Matthews directed!

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #56 on: March 14, 2016, 08:48:32 AM »

I have been examined and have purchased for $608 my new glasses, which should be ready by the end of the week.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #57 on: March 14, 2016, 09:07:12 AM »

Dr. Brown sees no cardiac reason for my cough and concurs with Dr. Frazer about the referral to a pulmonologist.

Good news!

Jane

« Reply #58 on: March 14, 2016, 09:09:23 AM »

Vibes you receive more good news this afternoon.

Jane

« Reply #59 on: March 14, 2016, 09:11:12 AM »

I have been examined and have purchased for $608 my new glasses, which should be ready by the end of the week.

I still need to find a frame that I like so I can have glasses made.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Up