Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: THE DAY RUNNER STRIKES BACK  (Read 3888 times)

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
Re: THE DAY RUNNER STRIKES BACK
« Reply #60 on: March 14, 2016, 10:02:41 AM »

Three!
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #61 on: March 14, 2016, 10:02:58 AM »

Congratulations, ChasSmith, on the milestone!
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #62 on: March 14, 2016, 10:07:33 AM »

Happy Pi Day, y'all. Now, who wants to bring me some pie to celebrate?
― Voltaire

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #63 on: March 14, 2016, 11:25:18 AM »

Thank you, DR Ginny!

Not only that, but I sat here and MADE myself figure out how to preserve the big moment. 
Let's see if this will paste in decently....

Congrats, ChasSmith!!!
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #64 on: March 14, 2016, 11:26:02 AM »

Congratulations, ChasSmith, on the milestone!
Happy Pi Day, y'all. Now, who wants to bring me some pie to celebrate?

I could eat 3.14 pieces, if you can spare them.
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #65 on: March 14, 2016, 11:30:14 AM »

Sun Valley Serenade/Orchestra Wives -- CLASSIC stuff!!!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #66 on: March 14, 2016, 11:32:36 AM »

I posted about the release on a Glenn Miller Facebook page - oh, Lord, if you think soundtrack enthusiasts are anal-retentive, you ain't seen nothin'.  Of course the stereo-ization of the home vid releases was brought up, but thankfully Mike Matessino had already addressed that on the film score message board, where one poster who is notorious for spreading nothing but incorrect information all over the Internet brought it up.

"Upon evaluating the original elements and finding no legitimate dual perspective material, I back-traced the project to the early '90s with what is now Deluxe Audio and discovered that technically this was a Chace Stereo project. As you know, it was relatively new at the time, and this was simply an example of Fox trying it out.

Yes there are separate overlays and separate vocals -- for SOME but not ALL of the songs -- which allowed, for example, for the orchestra to be stereo-ized while the vocals are basically kept mono. And, yes there are occasional instances where passages between verses have distant orchestra on the vocal track, which could have been utilized to enhance things into a stereo image, but that's it. Any discerning ear can tell what's going on by listening to the track from those videos.

Only where we have genuine dual perspective "push-pull" elements does it make sense to create stereo for a CD soundtrack release and that was not the case here (occasionally I'll stereo-ize a mono track if it has to blend with true stereo material around it). We have not actually had those push/pull elements for titles as early as this. It's the late '40s through '53 that we find them.

The most obvious evidence in this case is that the orchestral material was not slated with two numbers (11 & 12, 81 & 82, etc.) as they would be if they were recorded in dual perspective. Could it have been synthetically stereo-ized? Sure, but that would not have been responsible preservation. The documentation and the elements are clear, even if memories are not."

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #67 on: March 14, 2016, 11:47:19 AM »

Ah, yes.

Yes, yes.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #68 on: March 14, 2016, 11:47:23 AM »

I have parted with my calendars that kept track of my life. the last of them just recently when we purged our keepsakes for the move.

Jane

« Reply #69 on: March 14, 2016, 11:47:56 AM »

I have an appointment with an orthopedist for Wednesday.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #70 on: March 14, 2016, 11:52:45 AM »

I watched part 1 of Lifetime's presentation of "And Then There Were None" last evening.  It wraps up tonight.

It is reasonably faithful to Agatha Christie's plot, but the characters have been altered to provide more depth into their personalities.   I think it works pretty well up to the mid-point.  Am anxious to see how it all plays out.

I love the Rene Clair-directed film of this title and the play "Ten Little Indians".  Have been in two productions -- in one I was Tony Marston (the first to die) and in the second I was Philip Lombard.

In this production, the "figures" are abstract "soldiers" rather than Indians.  The "house party" is in a manse (a solitary structure) on "Soldier Island" well away from the mainland of wherever in the U.K. this version is set.

« Last Edit: March 14, 2016, 02:08:23 PM by Ron Pulliam »

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #71 on: March 14, 2016, 11:53:11 AM »

Callback success vibes to George!

Thanks, Fred!
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #72 on: March 14, 2016, 11:54:01 AM »

I have a pulmonary test set up for Wednesday morning.

Jane

« Reply #73 on: March 14, 2016, 12:15:01 PM »

Vibes your test goes well.

Jane

« Reply #74 on: March 14, 2016, 12:15:40 PM »

Ron, thanks for the report on "And Then There Were None".

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #75 on: March 14, 2016, 12:43:24 PM »

Peter Maxwell Davies, the British composer who orchestrated Ken Russell's film THE BOY FRIEND, has died.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #76 on: March 14, 2016, 12:47:36 PM »

Went back to bed for a couple of hours, got up, the phone hasn't stopped ringing, fixed books have been overnighted to me, and this popped up on You Tube - I've been waiting for it from the beginning of You Tube and had resigned myself to the fact that it simply did not exist.  And yet...

https://youtu.be/e0ZpRj8iSSk

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #77 on: March 14, 2016, 12:48:23 PM »

Peter Maxwell Davies' work on The Boy Friend was and is spectacular - incredible orchestrations and arrangements.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #78 on: March 14, 2016, 12:51:17 PM »

Ah!  Nice clip.

I did see someone on Facebook had started talking about the "stereo" on the Miller tracks.....it didn't make much sense to me, and he seemed to disprove his own point.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #79 on: March 14, 2016, 12:52:04 PM »

Congrats to DR CHAS SMITH and also to DR GEORGE on their millstones.

Callback vibes for DR GEORGE.

Good news from DR GINNY.

Test vibes for DR GINNY and DR RLP.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Ginny

« Reply #80 on: March 14, 2016, 01:08:43 PM »

I have a pulmonary test set up for Wednesday morning.

I'm expecting a call from the hospital to schedule my lung function test, as ordered by the pulmonologist I just saw.  Also, a text from the pharmacy telling me that my nasal spray and rescue inhaler are ready to pick up.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

John G.

« Reply #81 on: March 14, 2016, 01:23:02 PM »

I posted about the release on a Glenn Miller Facebook page - oh, Lord, if you think soundtrack enthusiasts are anal-retentive, you ain't seen nothin'.  Of course the stereo-ization of the home vid releases was brought up, but thankfully Mike Matessino had already addressed that on the film score message board, where one poster who is notorious for spreading nothing but incorrect information all over the Internet brought it up.

"Upon evaluating the original elements and finding no legitimate dual perspective material, I back-traced the project to the early '90s with what is now Deluxe Audio and discovered that technically this was a Chace Stereo project. As you know, it was relatively new at the time, and this was simply an example of Fox trying it out.

Yes there are separate overlays and separate vocals -- for SOME but not ALL of the songs -- which allowed, for example, for the orchestra to be stereo-ized while the vocals are basically kept mono. And, yes there are occasional instances where passages between verses have distant orchestra on the vocal track, which could have been utilized to enhance things into a stereo image, but that's it. Any discerning ear can tell what's going on by listening to the track from those videos.

Only where we have genuine dual perspective "push-pull" elements does it make sense to create stereo for a CD soundtrack release and that was not the case here (occasionally I'll stereo-ize a mono track if it has to blend with true stereo material around it). We have not actually had those push/pull elements for titles as early as this. It's the late '40s through '53 that we find them.

The most obvious evidence in this case is that the orchestral material was not slated with two numbers (11 & 12, 81 & 82, etc.) as they would be if they were recorded in dual perspective. Could it have been synthetically stereo-ized? Sure, but that would not have been responsible preservation. The documentation and the elements are clear, even if memories are not."

Stereo, schmereo. Frankly, I just trust you to give me the best damn representation of my beloved Sun Valley Serenade soundtrack possible.
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #82 on: March 14, 2016, 01:23:38 PM »

Ditto!
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #83 on: March 14, 2016, 01:25:16 PM »

I watched part 1 of Lifetime's presentation of "And Then There Were None" last evening.  It wraps up tonight.

It is reasonably faithful to Agatha Christie's plot, but the characters have been altered to provide more depth into their personalities.   I think it works pretty well up to the mid-point.  Am anxious to see how it all plays out.

I love the Rene Clair-directed film of this title and the play "Ten Little Indians".  Have been in two productions -- in one I was Tony Marston (the first to die) and in the second I was Philip Lombard.

In this production, the "figures" are abstract "soldiers" rather than Indians.  The "house party" is in a manse (a single, solidatry structure) on "Soldier Island" well away from the mainland of wherever in the U.K. this version is set.

Hadn't heard about that. Sounds like fun. I loved that novel and the Clair movie. Not the remake so much.
― Voltaire

George

« Reply #84 on: March 14, 2016, 01:30:40 PM »

Thank you, DR Ginny!

Not only that, but I sat here and MADE myself figure out how to preserve the big moment. 
Let's see if this will paste in decently....

That's great, ChasSmith...congrats on the millstone and the preservation! :D
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #85 on: March 14, 2016, 01:30:54 PM »

This one's for DR Elmore.  We were talking about seeing Merman, and I have this one memory which is barely even that -- I just ABOUT remember actually sitting there and watching her on stage.

It's funny (well, to me), but every time I see the name "Russell Nype," I first think of Nipsey Russel.

Weird, huh? ;)

George

« Reply #86 on: March 14, 2016, 01:31:03 PM »

Good morning, all.

Happy Monday vibes. Callback vibes for George.

Thanks, John!

George

« Reply #87 on: March 14, 2016, 01:31:59 PM »

Went back to bed for a couple of hours, got up, the phone hasn't stopped ringing, fixed books have been overnighted to me, and this popped up on You Tube - I've been waiting for it from the beginning of You Tube and had resigned myself to the fact that it simply did not exist.  And yet...

https://youtu.be/e0ZpRj8iSSk

That's pretty darned cool!  Is the on pointe solo balloon dancer Baayork Lee?

George

« Reply #88 on: March 14, 2016, 01:32:08 PM »

Congrats to DR CHAS SMITH and also to DR GEORGE on their millstones.

Callback vibes for DR GEORGE.

Good news from DR GINNY.

Thanks, Jrand!

George

« Reply #89 on: March 14, 2016, 01:32:15 PM »

And since we're so close...
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Up