Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: I DIDN'T KNOW WHAT TIME IT WAS  (Read 24395 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re:I DIDN'T KNOW WHAT TIME IT WAS
« Reply #30 on: October 26, 2003, 09:37:23 AM »

Danise, it's not about the size of the pic in "size" it's about the size of the pic in kb size - just make sure it's under 100kb and you'll be fine.  In other words, those huge pix I've been putting in my posts are, in reality, only 34kb in size.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #31 on: October 26, 2003, 09:41:18 AM »

Oh, and I totally forgot - there is a brand spanking new entry to Juliana's Journal (the third entry in the last four days - we iz smokin') and we're catching up quite well.

Also, Donald will have a brand spanking new radio show up today as well.  And just where is Donald?  I'll have to go bitch-slap him from here to eternity.  Now, dance, baby.

LC

• .o0o.
« Reply #32 on: October 26, 2003, 09:46:33 AM »

Good morning all, although I guess on the east coast it's not morning anymore.  Very nice to have the extra hour of sleep last night!

Happy birthday to DR Jed!

I am still reading the notes before I come to this portion of the site.  If I didn't read the notes first, I think I would be very lost when it comes to things like the topic of the day.  I never thought the community section was a separate site from HHW, although it is new and improved and maybe that's what people were getting at?

Last night I got a chance to see 21 GRAMS, the new film from Alejandro Gonzalez Inarritu.  Wow, what a powerful experience!  The storyline is structured in a similar manner to his last film, AMORES PERROS, in that three stories are connected by a car crash.  I thought amazing performances were turned in by the leads (Sean Penn, Benicio del Toro, Naomi Watts) and I think at least one of them (Miss Watts, if I had to take a gander) will be remembered for it this awards season.  A fantastic film.

Since it is Halloween this week, I was curious what you DRs would be dressing up as this year.  And in the past, what have been some of your most memorable costumes?
If you pursue your star, you cannot fail to reach a glorious harbor.  - Dante, Inferno XV

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #33 on: October 26, 2003, 09:52:49 AM »

Halloween costumes is a fine topic, LC.  

This year perhaps I'll go as Cassie from A Chorus Line.  THAT will be frightening.

I get rid of DVDs that I don't like or that I know I will never ever watch again.  I have a specially built wall unit in my den which holds quite a few of the DVDs, and I also store some in kitchen cabinets (I have a LOT of cabinets) and I also store some in my book room along with the books.  Also in the book room is a very large closet and in that closet reside my CDs, all housed in specially built wooden units.

LC

• .o0o.
« Reply #34 on: October 26, 2003, 09:53:05 AM »

DR Jason, that would be something to see one of Pavarotti's last performances at the Met!  (I don't think I would go, but it would still be something.)  I went with my family to see him many years ago and he kept excusing himself during songs because he "could not go on."  I think the promoters finally pushed him back out on the stage to sing a few since people had paid so much money for their tickets.
If you pursue your star, you cannot fail to reach a glorious harbor.  - Dante, Inferno XV

Jason

« Reply #35 on: October 26, 2003, 09:56:24 AM »

LC--Two years ago, Mr. P. made his "final" appearance at the Met, and cancelled both performances! They had huge screens set up outside Lincoln Center and the house, which holds 4,000 people, was sold out. The crowd outside was VERY angry, but the crowd INSIDE was angrier because they had paid a fortune to get in to see him sing. I heard his standby was fabulous, though...and it became the standby's Met debut.

Jason

« Reply #36 on: October 26, 2003, 09:57:09 AM »

My God, I have a huge forehead...why didn't anyone tell me??

Ben

« Reply #37 on: October 26, 2003, 10:05:46 AM »

I am about to head out for my afternoon and evening of theatre. I'm seeing a showcase production of The Mystery of Edwin Drood at the Gallery Players in Brooklyn this afternoon and this evening I will be seeing Lucky Stiff at York with Malcolm Gets and Mary Testa and more.

Wilder (at Playwrights) was very interesting (there is that horrible word). I liked it. It's about a man revisiting his past, and you're not quite sure everything he is reliving actually happened. The music is very folk/bluegrass influenced. One of the members of the Red Clay Ramblers wrote the score. It's a small, chamber musical with lots of erotic staging. John Cullum as the older Wilder is excellent. Jeremiah Miller, the young man playing him as a 15 year is very good. He's young but he's got a strong voice and good presence. Lacey Kohl plays the role of the mother and the prostitute and does a respectable job switching between the two. I'm not sure what kind of response this is going to get from the general audience. The show runs about 90 minutes with no intermission and a couple of people left during the show. I could also tell that the man next to me HATED the show by his body language and his exclamations of disgust or something else. He would put his hand over his face and sigh deeply like "I can't believe what's being done here" I think it's a perfectly respectable piece of work. I'm glad that a new piece is being done and that John Cullum has agreed to do it. We need more good, solid theatre actors willing to take a chance on new work.

That's my view. Now out the door. Later!

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #38 on: October 26, 2003, 10:12:45 AM »

I hope you read the notes before reading this here post and coming to this here board.  I hope you went to www.haineshisway.com first, oh, yes, I hope you did, otherwise I shall have to bitch-slap you from here to eternity.

Oh, yes indeed, I read it all. What I DIDN'T read was that der KimmelFührer had reserved unto himself any use of the consecutive letters "bruce". That my sainted mother name me Bruce before there every was a Kimmel Bruce is no nevermind. That my pink little head was doused in holy water to make me "Bruce" for all eternity is no nevermind. That neither Bruce Lee nor Bruce Springsteen will ever be able to register for this sight is no nevermind. That Woody's really put-down der Brucer has been denied his identity is no nevermind.

So, dear readers, since der KimmelFührer has captured my living name, I have been reduced to registering in the name of my dearly departed Scottie. It seems the premptive tentacles of der KimmelFührer have yet to extend to the canine afterworld - so Lassie and Rin Tin Tin are welcome.

It retribution I herewith post a pictorial expose of the other Bruce.

"And Moses Said:"

"Thus Sprake Kritzer"

"All is not serious."

"Basking in Adoration"

"Inked for Eternity" (Just like Monica and Hillary)

"Reflective Glory"

"Have a cheese slice little girl."

An unrepentant der Brucer

Yes, that's fish!

We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

Jed

« Reply #39 on: October 26, 2003, 10:14:49 AM »

Thanks one and all, and also all and one, for the lovely birthday wishes.  All y'all are truly the ginchiest folks around!

My mother and sister came to visit and take me to a birthday dinner last night, and I gorged myself on a lovely prime rib and one the biggest baked potatoes I've ever seen.  (Hmm... where is a good drooling smiley when you need one?)
I sat beside the class clown... and I studied him

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #40 on: October 26, 2003, 10:21:13 AM »

Hmmm - I hadn't seen those pix before.  Now, der Brucer, could you not use the username derbrucer?  That seems strange to me if you couldn't, but then again, what do I know.  

Now, dance, baby.

Jed

« Reply #41 on: October 26, 2003, 10:22:00 AM »

Halloween costumes is a fine topic, LC.  
This year perhaps I'll go as Cassie from A Chorus Line.  THAT will be frightening.

What a coincidence, BK... I was thinking of going as Val.  ;D

Oh, and let me add this to the party...

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #42 on: October 26, 2003, 10:23:03 AM »

It's a shame that Mr. Pavarotti did not learn a lesson from some of his contemporaries (such as the Misses Sutherland, Horne and Price) and retired while the audiences were still applauding.  In his prime, Mr. Pavarotti's voice was thrilling and second to none.  Today, I am afraid, his voice is in shreds and on stage he has become a caricature of himself.  I read some time ago that the Met was planning to wheel him out for another absolutely final farewell performance, and sadly shook my head.
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

Jason

« Reply #43 on: October 26, 2003, 10:25:59 AM »

The last time the Pav did TURANDOT, two supers had to literally hold him up while he sang "Nessun dorma", and from time to time, they would turn him around and someone behind him would hand him a bottle of water that they had hidden in the bell sleeves of their costumes. He apparently doesn't even bother to change clothes after a performance...he goes home in his sweaty, gross costume and I've heard he smells bad.

Jay

« Reply #44 on: October 26, 2003, 10:29:43 AM »

Call me a curmudgeon

[Hainesies and Kimlets, in unison]  "You're a curmudgeon, Jay"

but Halloween is my 2nd least favorite holiday.  My displeasure with the revelry on October 31 is exceeded only by that for the revelry on December 31.

:(

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #45 on: October 26, 2003, 10:30:15 AM »

I've got the pantaloons:

Does any body still wear a hat?

An uncovered der Brucer

PS "Uncovered is a miltary term for being hatless"
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

Jason

« Reply #46 on: October 26, 2003, 10:31:18 AM »

oh, my...what kind of site is this becoming?!!?

Ann

• Cake or Death?
    • My LiveJournal
« Reply #47 on: October 26, 2003, 10:32:08 AM »

Good morning to all.
Happy birthday to Jed.  
Last night I dreamed that I was at Manderley.  Actually I dreamed that I was at McDonalds, trying to order breakfast.  I really wanted oatmeal.  The menu said they had it, but the girl was refusing to make it for me.  Then the guy in the next line said something which I believed to be a quote from a movie, and I woke myself up trying to figure out which movie it was from...

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #48 on: October 26, 2003, 10:38:10 AM »

What was the quote?

It's now ten-thirty whereas yesterday it was eleven-thirty.  What a difference a day makes.

I'm very happy to see that some of our very favorite people are still reading this here site.  It warms the cockles of my heart, oh, yes, it warms the cockles of my heart.

Now, dance, baby.

Jay

« Reply #49 on: October 26, 2003, 10:41:12 AM »

One that's becoming more and more pleasing to the eye, I'd say.  (I'm not curmudgeonly in all matters, obviously.)

td

• td
« Reply #50 on: October 26, 2003, 10:43:33 AM »

Well, Jeff (Mr. Hasbeen, HasDyedHisHairSinceDayOne,Egomaniacal,MeanSpirited and humanly UGLY*) Stryker has never done anything for me. . .but, those pantaloons of his are more like chaps, aren't they?

*I've read his posts on other boards, he is not a nice man.  Jeff Stryker gets no karma points from me.
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #51 on: October 26, 2003, 10:45:51 AM »

And one for Mahler!  I'll drink to that.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #52 on: October 26, 2003, 10:51:53 AM »

By the way (BTW, in Internet lingo), I've been getting e-mails with attachments from e-mail addresses I know - I want to remind you - do not open any attachment, even if it's from someone you know, without first checking with them to make certain it's safe.  These have all been "cleaned" by MacAfee so they were all bogus and viruses.  Be careful.

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #53 on: October 26, 2003, 11:04:30 AM »

A Life Lesson. DR's: I went to a House Concert last night and met a Hungarian woman and her non-Hungarian husband. Had a fascinating chat with them. Turns out they gave up their high-paying, high-stress careers mid-life (in their fifties, actually) when in one year six of their friends died of various diseases and they realized that life is SHORT. So they resigned from said h-p. h-s jobs and became roaming photographers! They roam Europe taking pictures which look like landscape paintings (not my taste, but attractive). They make huge money selling these quasi-art pieces and are incredibly happy. Nice.
BTW - The House Concert was lovely. This is the way chamber music was meant to be heard.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2003, 11:09:28 AM by Panni »

Emily

« Reply #54 on: October 26, 2003, 11:08:51 AM »

Well Jason, you know what they say about men with big foreheads....

;)
"We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true" except at HHW of course! - Robert Wilensky

Jay

« Reply #55 on: October 26, 2003, 11:38:44 AM »

DR TD:  Silly me.  I thought it was der Brucer.

Dear Readers:  Just stopped at Ticketmonster at my local Tower Records to pick up a ticket to see Miss Susan Egan in cabaret in Orange County this coming Saturday night.  They must have just released some tickets, as each of the times I tried to get one before today the show was allegedly sold out.  Will file a report next Sunday.

Brief as it may have been, it wasn't a cheap trip.  Decca opera recordings were on sale, and I've been wanting to get Solti's version of Wagner's Ring for some time.  It's the first time I've bought a CD version of something I already own on vinyl, but it's perfect listening for long road trips and the last couple of times I've been on a long road trip I've regretted not having it to listen to.  

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #56 on: October 26, 2003, 11:55:34 AM »

I should like to point out that the renameable der Brucer (renamed here as GeordieMc) does not resemble Mr. Stryker.  The photograph included with his personal data is the accurate representation of his presentation.  He does, indeed, look like a Lego Munchkin.

Strange light here in the Los Angeles area today, due to the San Bernardino wildfires.  Everything is cast in an orangy twilight, which is pretty but for all the wrong reasons.

As for Holloween, I do not care for the holiday at all.  Rather, I do not care for the tyranny of those who insist that everyone must wear a costume.  Every year at work, someone would hear that I do not enjoy wearing costumes and would shreik at me "But you HAVE to wear a costume!"  "I most certainly do not," I would reply, "There's no have to involved."  "But you HAVE to wear a costume!" the shreiker would repeat, in a voice that would embarrass Fran Drescher.  At that point my replies would become quite unprintable and imaginative, making the shreiker cringe and retreat, seeking a supervisor who could make me bow to the shreiker's demands.  Said supervisor, having been through the routine the year before, would say "Tut, tut," and kindly tell the shreiker to pound sand.

I do not mind wearing a tuxedo on New Year's Eve, but I will not wear a costume on Halloween.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Emily

« Reply #57 on: October 26, 2003, 12:18:11 PM »

This "Straight Guy's Guide to Picking Up Women in Piano Bars" made me spit orange juice out of my nostrils...

:)

http://www.broadwayworld.com/viewcolumn.cfm?colid=103
"We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true" except at HHW of course! - Robert Wilensky

Jay

« Reply #58 on: October 26, 2003, 12:31:30 PM »

Thanks, DR Emily!  I just sent that link off to all my single female friends of the heterosexual persuasion.  The column is a hoot!

Jed

« Reply #59 on: October 26, 2003, 12:42:45 PM »

Ha!!!  Love the article, Emily!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up