Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down

Author Topic: I DIDN'T KNOW WHAT TIME IT WAS  (Read 24409 times)

Laura II

Re:I DIDN'T KNOW WHAT TIME IT WAS
« Reply #90 on: October 26, 2003, 06:45:51 PM »

Hello all! and hello Swishy Sarah! ...or should i call you Sneaky Sarah? :) I really enjoyed seeing you last night! You must put a picture of yourself up here! You looked beautiful! Also, as much as you miss singing, please stay quiet! I don't want you to injure your fantastic voice! I'm sorry your family teases you; mine does the same thing to me, especially if I go away for a few days. It never fails that I will hear them mention, "It was so quiet without you!" But I digress. :)

Hope everyone had a wonderful day!

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]HAPPY REAL BIRTHDAY, JED![/move]
"I believe that my life's gonna see the love I give returned to me."

Laura II

« Reply #91 on: October 26, 2003, 06:53:02 PM »

This is random, but someone introduced me to it today. Just go to www.accuradio.com, click on the Broadway icon, and you can listen to an array of Broadway tunes while on the internet. I find it helpful because I don't have to bring loads of cds down here to my comp, and I've heard some songs with which I'm not familiar. Now I know what cast recordings I must go and buy!
"I believe that my life's gonna see the love I give returned to me."

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #92 on: October 26, 2003, 07:03:07 PM »

Well, Laura II, I do hope you listen to our very own Brodaway Radio Hour with Mr. Donald Feltham, as it was just about the first of its kind, and in my opinion (IMO, in Internet lingo) remains the best of its kind.

Maya

• I've always wanted to see the lights of Broadway..
    • My LiveJournal
« Reply #93 on: October 26, 2003, 07:18:59 PM »

First of all....

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO JED!!!![/move]

What a weekend this has been for me!  WOW!   (Warning: very long post coming up)

Yesterday, I, my friend Kate and my new friend Mel went to see Bouncing Gold Wiseguys., more simply known now as Bounce.  Who was it that said that to be a Sondheim fan means getting your heart broken at regular intervals?

Okay, it was not bad.  It was just very far from being great.  We Sondheads are so used to seeing nothing but greatness from him that anything that is merely good comes off as mediocre by comparison.

It's kind of hard for me to pin down where exactly the show went wrong (or at least not right) for me.  I think my friend Kate said it best when she described it as being too "blatant."  There weren't many subtleties, many layers.  Parts of the plot were very predictable.  I mean, I'm not demanding that it be full of irony and darkness...it IS a musical comedy, and who wants to overdose on irony and darkness and excessive depth for that kind of show?  But I guess I had just expected more.  However, the show WAS very funny and there were plently of laughs throughout.  I also thought the second act was better than the first.

The sets were great, I thought...elaborate without overdoing it, and the costumes and choreography were also well-done.  

Okay....now the acting.  I thought everyone did good work, but this show, IMO, belonged to....MICHELE PAWK!  Is there nothing this woman cannot do?  She took a character that could have been rather one-dimensional (the stock character of the brassy but sweet gold-digger) and just made her so funny and vibrant and sympathetic.  And that voice!  It was such a joy to see her onstage.  

Richard Kind and Howard McGillin were both very good, as Addison and Wilson Mizner, although I think both of them still have room for growth in terms of finding their characters.  But they had a good chemistry together, played out the jealousy and love between the brothers well, and made their characters likeable even though they were playing con artists (one of whom is a drug addict).  McGillin has such a gorgeous voice and I didn't realize how handsome he is either.  Speaking of handsome, Gavin Creel did a great job as Addison's younger lover.  Somehow, I liked him even better in this than I did in TMM.  And Jane Powell sounded fabulous as the Mizners' mother.  

Okay...now the music.  Kate, Mel and I were joking that the score to Bounce is like the Collected Works of Stephen Sondheim Abridged.  There ARE some very good songs....among them the title song, Boca Raton and You Are the Best Thing That Ever Happened To Me, but I have to say this is not his strongest score by a long shot.  Some of the songs have an early Forum-era feel, and are more conventional musical comedy numbers, but others have the more trademark Sondheim sound.  I heard musical phrases a lot of other Sondheim shows...like when Jane Powell is singing at one point, the melody sounded sooo much like Dot in the second act of SITPWG and Mel pointed out that she heard a lot of Into The Woods in there.    And one musical phrase sounded a lot like "God, That's Good" in Sweeney.  I guess it's kind of inevitable that this should happen...I just thought it was kind of interesting.  

The show really does need work before it opens, but it DOES have potential.  Overall, I enjoyed myself...I just hope they can get this together SO much...as it is now, I don't know if it would survive very long on Broadway.  I feel like saying this is sacrilege, because I love Sondheim's music sooo much, but I also didn't want to let the fact that I'm a huge fan keep me from being somewhat objective.  

OH...After the show, the girls and I went to the giftshop and bought stuff.  We chatted with the saleslady and she told us that Sondheim had been in the gift store a number of times!  He had bought a couple of Degas bags!  Which led me to joke...will his next musical be Sunday at the Ballet with Edgar?  After Bounce, I slept over at Kate's house and we watched Follies in Concert and the film version of Noises Off.  It was really fun...we couldn't stop laughing about how Elaine Stritch wasn't wearing a bra in Follies in Concert...not even once!  

Wow...that was long, wasn't it?  Anyway, I DID miss having my HHW over the weekend and I'm glad I'm back!

Emily--that article was hilarious!  You must never give up in your search to find a cute straight musical-loving guy!

The BK signing pics were so great!  Really enjoyed seeing those.

Sarah--I'm glad you're back , sweetie, and  ;D that you had such a good time at Homecoming!  I'd love to see a pic too!  I bet you looked bee--ooo-teee-ful!  8)

Jason

« Reply #94 on: October 26, 2003, 07:19:29 PM »

I'm sure that you are all by now extremely tired of hearing my mouse woes, and to date everything has been of the "oh, isn't that a cute/funny story" mode, but now it's really gone too far.

Tonight I spied with my little eye a frickin' mouse ON MY BED! ON MY FRESHLY-LAUNDERED BED! I have never felt more violated and paranoid in my entire life and I am over it, dear readers. Oh yes, I am sooooo over it. I called my very own landlord tonight who was, of course, not at home, and I left a very terse message with his son, who apparently agrees with me that it is too much for a person to have to deal with a mouse on his/her bed. IT'S MY BED, FOR GOODNESS' SAKE!!! It's been tainted. I haven't a clue where I'm supposed to go now in my very own home to feel safe from them. If they're on my bed with the lights on, imagine what goes on while I'm sleeping! As I type this I'm literally shaking with anger, frustration, disgust and a tinge of fear.

What am I supposed to do? I don't know where they're coming from...I don't have any food in my house for them to eat...I've not the slightest clue how to stop them because I don't know where they're starting! A person should not have to pay rent to live in these conditions, ladies and gentlemen. Can you understand how I've lost sleep over this? And now, I can't imagine even getting in that bed, what with mice crawling on it. I have to move...but I can't afford to move! What am I supposed to do? I can't live like this anymore...

Ben

« Reply #95 on: October 26, 2003, 07:20:14 PM »

BK, I agree with you. Our Broadway Radio Show is wonderful and I always listen to that first. Then I move on to the BBC and other stations.

The problem with Accuradio is that it doesn't always work. When I first discovered it at work, the Broadway station worked fine but now it doesn't work for nuttin'. Cabaret Radio also does not work. I've tried and tried and tried. Sending e-mail to Customer Service doesn't do much because they say that it may not work on every computer. Funny thing is, though Broadway doesn't work, I can listen to Swingin' Pop Standards 24/7 on my office computer. AND Broadway, Cabaret Radio and Swingin' Pop Standards all work on my home computer which is a slower, dial up connection. Go figure. At least at work I can listen to the BBC. After Donald, that's my favorite, Showtime, Stage and Screen and so many others.

Jennifer

« Reply #96 on: October 26, 2003, 07:47:54 PM »

The time change is making me so very tired. I can barely keep my eyes open.

Oh DR Jason I can relate to your mouse woes.  I found a dead one today laying beside my mouse trap (under the kitchen sink). I screamed.  I have not had mice problems in quite a while.  I was so disgusted. I cannot even imagine what I would have done if I had found one in my bed.

I really have no idea where they come from. But they do move throughout very easily. I once found mice droppings in the kitchen drawer. Yuck!

Sandra

• "Stupider."
« Reply #97 on: October 26, 2003, 08:46:14 PM »

Happy birthday Jed!

I'm supposed to be writing an essay about why Leonardo da Vinci was the perfect Renaissance man, but since I like to be argumentative, I'm writing about why Leonardo da Vinci was NOT the perfect Renaissance man.
The mountains are pretty.

"I'm gonna put the little fish in the big tank, and the big fish in the little tank." -- talkative bus driver

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #98 on: October 26, 2003, 08:46:54 PM »

DR Jason:  So sorry about the mouse problem. I have had mice a time or two in my house but was always able to get them eliminated using those green pellet like poisons leading up to one of the box trap things. Worked both times I had them, but it did take a couple of weeks. I know you've been suffering longer than that, and I'm sorry.

You know, I don't mind rebuying DVDs of favorite movies if the transfers are better. A CHRISTMAS STORY certainly was better to name a recent example, and so were THE HUNT FOR RED OCTOBER and PATRIOT GAMES. I don't think I'd watch JFK enough to upgrade it, so I think I'll probably just keep the one I have. And I read one review that said the Extreme Edition of TERMINATOR 2 didn't have as good a transfer as the Ultimate Edition had. (Obviously, that person was not able to see the high def version on his computer.)
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #99 on: October 26, 2003, 09:00:07 PM »

Excellent report, Maya.  It does make one wonder what normal audiences feel, i.e. people who don't need to cut anyone some slack, in other words, non-fans.  I would like to get to see it, but won't unless they bring it in.  

Now, dance, baby, and we need an explosion of posts, oh, yes, we need an explosion of posts.  Unlike the last few days, getting posts today has been like pulling teeth, but this does tend to happen on weekends.  Ironically, it usually happens on Saturday, not Sunday, and yet Saturday was amazingly strong.  Now, let's have an explosion of posts, shall we?

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #100 on: October 26, 2003, 09:01:01 PM »

I am thinkin' that we might just somehow make 100 posts - I'm just thinkin' that.

td

• td
« Reply #101 on: October 26, 2003, 09:04:34 PM »

You know, I don't mind rebuying DVDs of favorite movies if the transfers are better. A CHRISTMAS STORY certainly was better to name a recent example, and so were THE HUNT FOR RED OCTOBER and PATRIOT GAMES. I don't think I'd watch JFK enough to upgrade it, so I think I'll probably just keep the one I have. And I read one review that said the Extreme Edition of TERMINATOR 2 didn't have as good a transfer as the Ultimate Edition had. (Obviously, that person was not able to see the high def version on his computer.)

I'd like to add ALL ABOUT EVE, AN AFFAIR TO REMEMBER and MARY POPPINS to that list of worthwhile double-dipping.  And then there's THE BEGINNING OF THE END, which was previously only available as a Mystery Science Theatre title, but now, has that spiffy transfer as well as an absoring, amusing commentary track. . .
I haven't double-dipped on TERMINATOR 2, yet. . .I have the second version. . . and I have absolutely no reason at all to double dip on LITTLE SHOP OF HORRORS. . .

DVD-speaking, dontcha just love Marian's line in RAIDERS?

"This whole place is slitherin'!"
(sounds to me like something from HARRY POTTER)!

If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

MBarnum

« Reply #102 on: October 26, 2003, 09:07:50 PM »

Had a lovely day in Portland today...the weather was beautiful so my buddy Mark and I decided to make it a day and meet our friend Jeff in downtown.

At delicious food and went to some neato retro furniture stores. Didn't buy any furnishings, but was quite tempted!

I did go crazy at the DVD store and picked up BABY'S DAY OUT, CAPE FEAR (the original, or course), THE DESPERATE HOURS (the original, or course), THE WHALES OF AUGUST, and the horribly overpriced THE BLOB (the original, of course)...I should not leave the house with my credit cards!

Ron Pulliam

« Reply #103 on: October 26, 2003, 09:45:59 PM »

Maya:  Great report on "Bounce".  I do know what you mean about hearing bits and pieces of other shows.  I've heard those similarities in most of his stuff, even though it's always been more a stylistic effect rather than an outright reminder of another song.  In the case of "Bounce," I take it the "feel" is probably more noticeable because you don't find the songs making their own statement relative to the book.

It's interesting to read, however, that the book is so funny.  This show is an interesting one to follow, I think.

Jason:  Have you talked to your landlord?  If you have and he's done nothing, call the Department of Health and ask them what you can do.  I DO empathize and know whereof your heebie-jeebies can take hold and make life unbearable.

Jed:  What did you do/get for your birthday?????
« Last Edit: October 26, 2003, 09:49:25 PM by Ron Pulliam »

Sandra

• "Stupider."
« Reply #104 on: October 26, 2003, 09:54:18 PM »

I had such an exciting day today. We bought three pumpkins and now we are watching the cat study an ice cube that fell on the floor.

Boy, am I desperate to have something else to do besides write my essay.

"I'm gonna put the little fish in the big tank, and the big fish in the little tank." -- talkative bus driver

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #105 on: October 26, 2003, 09:56:11 PM »

Well, I couldn't let the whole day go by without a single post.

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]HAPPY BIRTRHDAY, JED![/move]

At least with both Jed and I on the West coast, I can get away with this late birthday greeting.  Unfortunately, he is probably already asleep, or not home from rehearsal yet.

Without a doubt, the smiley face in the blue spotlight was the BEST.

Jason:  I am very sorry about your continuing mouse problem.  I did not mean to make light of it before, but you do have a way with words.  I do hope that there is some way that you can move out of that place.  You deserve far better.

MBarnum:  Don't you just love Portland.  I lived there back in the '70s.  I still have wonderful memories of my time there.  Sadly, I don't go down there much any more.  All of my really close friends in Portland passed away from AIDS, including the friend who I always considered to be my brother.

Well, that was cheery.  Best go to bed.  Good night!
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

Maya

• My LiveJournal
« Reply #106 on: October 26, 2003, 10:02:37 PM »

Woohoo!  I feel very karmalicious!  Thank you to those who recently added karma to my name!  :D

BK and Ron--I'm so glad you guys liked my report!  I hope it does go to Broadway soon so you can see it, but not before it's reworked quite a bit.  I know that I will be following its progress (and reception) very closely.

Jason--I'm so sorry to hear about what happened tonight with the mouse.  Here's an idea:

Of course I'm just kidding, and I really shouldn't joke about it when it must have freaked you out so much.  I don't know if I can think of any good suggestions, as I've never encountered that particular problem, but I wish you all the best with getting rid of the little critters!

Well...I guess I should do my homework sometime tonight... ;)

Noel

• Husband (10th year), father and songwriter
    • Musings on musicals
« Reply #107 on: October 26, 2003, 10:10:38 PM »

I think the line about Sondheim fans getting hearts broken at regular interval was from one of Frank Rich's first reviews in the Times, of Merrily We Roll Along.  I could be wrong, though
In this family, when words won't do, there's gotta be a song.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #108 on: October 26, 2003, 10:11:17 PM »

I'm not surprised that our east coast Hainsies/Kimlets are in bed, fast asleep, but I am surprised at all the old fuddy-duddys here on the west coast.  Even I, the oldest fuddy-duddy of them all is up and at 'em, rarin' to go, bursting with energy and above all, happenin'.

Now, dance, baby.

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #109 on: October 26, 2003, 10:15:01 PM »

I am about to say something I never thought I would:  I just saw a movie with Jason Alexander and his tenderness in one of his scenes actually made me cry.  

After all these years, I finally caught up with Love! Valour! Compassion! tonight.  I found it a very touching and life- (and love-) affirming picture.  I thought Terrence McNally's screenplay was well written and each of the actors quite natural.
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #110 on: October 26, 2003, 10:15:28 PM »

Well, we've established one fact about the HHW site today, kids: if two DRs are posting from the same computer, they'd danged better remember to sign off before the other signs on.  I tried posting something earlier, and had to delete when I realized I was posting as der Brucer.  I mean, we're close, but not indistinguishable.

DR Maya:  Thanks for the comments on Bounce.  Der Brucer and I are planning on seeing it the weekend of the 8th, along with the production of Forum at the Signature.  

All and all, this makes for an interesting November, as we're currently scheduled to leave Long Beach this Thursday, taking a week to get cross-country (two humans, five dogs).  Then, while I'm getting settled, he returns to the left coast.  And hopefully I'll be able to land some work before he gets back to our new home!  Like I say, it's going to get interesting...very fast!

Now, all I have to do is figure out if that's  :D or  :P.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Sandra

• "Stupider."
« Reply #111 on: October 26, 2003, 10:23:20 PM »

Well, the cat is bored with the ice cube. Probably because it has melted. He's now looking out the window, which is not entertaining me in the least, and I am forced to ponder the question, "What's the deal with Leonardo da Vinci?"

Jed

« Reply #112 on: October 26, 2003, 10:25:02 PM »

Thanks again everybody for all the lovely birthday wishes!  Such a group as this could certainly not be found anywhere else on this here internet!

A fairly relaxed, uneventful weekend here.  A nice birthday dinner last night with my mother and sister.  Sunday spent watching football, just as I like it (even if the Seahawks did lose), and then A Christmas Carol rehearsal this evening.  As for gifts, most of my family played it safe and went the cash route (always a good route, I feel).  Also got some kitchen stuff I was lacking and the 8 Women DVD.  And in a couple weeks I'll be seeing She Loves Me with DR Ann as a gift from her.  Simply faboo!

Ooo!  And I now have 2 stars... very nifty, me thinks.
I sat beside the class clown... and I studied him

Maya

• My LiveJournal
« Reply #113 on: October 26, 2003, 10:29:40 PM »

Still up and no homework in sight....which makes me want to do the Night Owl Dance....

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]*dance, dance, yawn, procrastinate, dance, yawn, dance*[/move]

Glad you enjoyed, SWW!  When are you and Der Brucer going to see Forum?  I'm planning to see that as well as Camelot sometime this season.

Noel--Yes, I think it was Frank Rich...that sounds very right to me.  Thanks for reminding me!

And with this...I will make myself do my homework...really I will....

Jed

« Reply #114 on: October 26, 2003, 10:30:20 PM »

DR Sandra!!!  So wonderful to see you posting again!  I think I speak for Hainsies/Kimlets far and wide (and perhaps also near and narrow) in saying that we missed you!!!

Jed

« Reply #115 on: October 26, 2003, 10:32:27 PM »

Maya - your dances crack me up!!!  I was quite adept at the Procrastinating Night Owl Dance myself when I was in college.

Sandra

• "Stupider."
« Reply #116 on: October 26, 2003, 10:34:17 PM »

*Doing Maya's Procrastination Dance*

Maybe I've just been studying Leonardo da Vinci too long, but that picture of Maya looks like the Mona Lisa.

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #117 on: October 26, 2003, 10:46:16 PM »

You know, I'm really getting tired of hearing about Leonardo da Vinci. I mean, he wasn't even a perfect Renaissance man, or anything.

On a more serious note, my thoughts and prayers are with the folks in southern California tonight.  Our minister needs to be in LA tomorrow, and I may end up driving her there in the morning, since the airports are closed.
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #118 on: October 26, 2003, 10:53:20 PM »

Okay, here goes again.  I've been trying to post a picture, mainly to see how (and if) it works.  I asked for help in the Tech section and Mr. Mark Bakalor gave a suggestion and I'm now going to try it.  He said to post it without previewing, which is what I'd been doing.  So, here's a picture of Cultural Heritage Choir, one of the groups that I saw last night.  They were fabulous!
« Last Edit: October 26, 2003, 10:55:25 PM by George »
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #119 on: October 26, 2003, 10:54:33 PM »

IT WORKED!!!!  Thanks Mark!  Here's a picture of the other group, Kitka.  They were fabulous, also!
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up