Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: I DIDN'T KNOW WHAT TIME IT WAS  (Read 24354 times)

Ron Pulliam

Re:I DIDN'T KNOW WHAT TIME IT WAS
« Reply #60 on: October 26, 2003, 01:02:51 PM »

Oh-HO!

I don't recall BK ever mentioning that they had CAKE at his book-signings.

Yet, GeordieMC's photos of BK doing such signings clearly shows a sinfully delicious-looking chocolate cake of one sort or another (perhaps a torte or a bundt?), and possibly something with lemon...looks like a slice of lemon cake on a plate in front of BK.

Was it good cake, BK?   Yummy yummy yummy just like love in your tummy?  It sure "looks" like it was good!

:)

I slept 10 hours today.  That's right!  It was great.  

Jed:  Happy Birthday one more time!

And to answer comments you made a couple of days ago, I did, indeed, place a pin in SC 'cause that's where my thoughts were.  But the pin is now in Oakland where I am.

« Last Edit: October 26, 2003, 01:05:32 PM by Ron Pulliam »

Ron Pulliam

« Reply #61 on: October 26, 2003, 01:11:36 PM »

I spy

With my eye

An unseemly "naughty girl"

Browsing this here board!

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #62 on: October 26, 2003, 01:15:10 PM »

If Suzy could buy x apples for $1.35, and y oranges for $2.07, and 3 plums cost the equivalent of 2 apples and 1 orange, how many plums could she purchase with $4.00?
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #63 on: October 26, 2003, 01:22:00 PM »

Must be a lazy Sunday around these here parts - I think we need some partyfyin' and some postifyin', don't you?  I haz spoken.

Now, dance, baby.

SwishySarah

• Swish On!
« Reply #64 on: October 26, 2003, 01:29:49 PM »

I'm sneaking on again for a post. I'm going to get caught, I know it.

Last night ended Homecoming Week with the dance, and Laura summed it up perfectly. It was LOADS of fun, my hair turned out great, my dress stayed up, thank the LORD, and the music wasn't too bad either. The only thing that was really weird was that they wouldn't turn off the lights like they did last year. Last year they had the lights off with multi-colored lights on, and spotlights, etc. This year, the lights were on. It is VERY hard to dance with the lights on! I know why they did it (at our rival schools HC last year, activities were going on that shouldn't have been going on, and probably wouldn't have happened if it weren't so dark), but don't you think they should trust us until we prove that we can't be trusted? Pain in the bootay.

Anyway, it was GREAT to see Laura, and all of my friends who had graduated *tear*, and a blast was had by one and all. I went over a friends house afterwards and I think we fell asleep at 6 am. and that was AFTER DST, so it was really 7. We woke up at 11, took the millions of pins out of our hair, grabbed sweatshirts and cash, and walked to Starbucks, where we met up with about 6 other friends. I couldn't talk, so my friend Austin had to order for me. Sweet, sweet caffiene :) Caramel frappuchinos are a Godsend.

Oh, one weird thing did happen at the dance: There was this man who looked to be about 60, walking around with a camera. He kept asking girls if they wanted their picture taken for the yearbook, but after about 10 minutes of adjusting where people were standing, he'd say, "Oh, my camera isn't working. I wonder why...sorry." He was there the whole time, and I asked my science teacher from last year (also one of my very very great friends) who he was (I figured he'd know since he was organising the whole thing), and he didn't have a clue. PEDOPHILE!!! (spelling? Couldn't remember if it was a PH of an F)

Anyway...loved the pictures of the hottie that MBarnum so wonderfully shared with us.

It's so nice not to be coated in glitter :) I'll try to get on later.

~Swishy~
...Walk in the sunshine...

SwishySarah

• Swish On!
« Reply #65 on: October 26, 2003, 01:35:51 PM »

Oh and may I just express my jealousy. Aly's parents come to pick us up this afternoon, and guess what they're driving? A yellow '99 Volkswagen Bug with 30,000 miles on it, and a year left on the warranty. For her. Her dad left yesterday morning saying he had to go to work and wouldn't be home to see her, and that he'd talk to her the next day. He REALLY flew to Florida to get the damn thing and drive it back for her.

She has a pretty new car and I get a '90 Volvo. Complete with non-existent AC and a ceiling that won't stay up, and is now being held there with duct tape.

The jealousy, ooooh the jealousy.

Jay

« Reply #66 on: October 26, 2003, 01:36:16 PM »

Dear Readers:

I saw a provocative and very disturbing new film yesterday.  It is called Elephant, and it was written and directed by Gus Van Sant.  It is a fictional story based on the tragic shootings that took place at Columbine High School in Colorado.

I believe that the only other Van Sant film I've seen is My Own Private Idaho, and based on my viewing of these two films, plus what I've read, I believe it is fair to say that Mr. Van Sant has a distinct directorial style.  It is highly mannered, and I'm guessing that most people either like it or don't, and few, if any, feel neutral.  I like it.  In Elephant, there are numerous long tracking shots of people in the film walking, getting themselves from Point A to Point B, filmed from behind.  In some ways, it's a variation on the subjective point of view, as we observe things during these shots pretty much the way the character being followed does.  These shots certainly create considerable tension, building up to the film's horrible conclusion.  Several scenes are repeated, shown from different characters' point of view, which reinforces the simultaneity and intersection of several events occuring throughout the movie.  I thought this was a highly effective technique.

The story is told in a fashion that borders on cinema verite.  Enormous questions are raised (the biggest one being "Why?"), but no answers are provided.  The L.A. Times reviewer saw the students depicted in the film as angelic.  I saw them as being rather adrift, with no clear role models or direction or discipline in their lives.  There is little adult presence in the film, and most of the adults who do appear do not come off well.

There is one moment in the film that apparently has caused a good deal of controversy.  For me, that moment serves as an apt metaphor of these kids' unsatisfied need for attention and affection.

This is not a film that one easily forgets.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2003, 01:59:08 PM by Jay »

Jason

« Reply #67 on: October 26, 2003, 01:57:38 PM »

Just returned from another long afternoon of laundering. Indeed, Senorita Lavadora was there, using her typical fourteen dryers and apparently she had brought some friends with her, as they occupied all of the folding tables. One of her friends, the lady with the rat-tail looking pony-tail (is that oxymoronic?), had the most nasal voice I've ever heard in my life--worse than Fran Drescher--and yelled to be heard by everyone in the laundromat. It was quite disturbing and I gave her the evil eye for it.

Jed

« Reply #68 on: October 26, 2003, 02:14:06 PM »

So, Swishy, when you don't have to be so sneaky, will we get to see a picture from last night?
I sat beside the class clown... and I studied him

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #69 on: October 26, 2003, 02:21:12 PM »

DR Jason: in re the subject of large foreheads, JOIN THE CLUB!

Actually, you have the jawline and chin to support the total size of your head. Some of the rest of us (me, sad to say) aren't so lucky, and we look like Charlie Brown.

:-\
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #70 on: October 26, 2003, 02:25:38 PM »

:o

I meant to respond to bk's query. I did not think this was a new site. You had been telling us for days that the posting board was going to be changed, and so when I saw it, that's exactly what I thought. The front page of the site where your daily notes begin looked very familiar with the few modifications which you had also discussed as being redesigned, not as an entirely new website.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2003, 02:27:23 PM by Matt H. »
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Dennis

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #71 on: October 26, 2003, 02:28:20 PM »

I agree about Gus Van Sant.  I know people who revere him as a great artist and others think his films are crap. I think "My Own Private Idaho" was his  best
film but this is just my opinion.  He lives here in Portland and "Elephant" had a charity premiere.  I am looking forward to seeing it.
I am getting tired of constant sunshine.  That sounds strange but I like changes in the weather.  The Rain In Spain Is Stalling In the Plain!!
Happy Birthday Jed

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #72 on: October 26, 2003, 02:32:07 PM »

All of us from Metaluna have the same forehead.  8)
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

LC

• .o0o.
« Reply #73 on: October 26, 2003, 02:48:13 PM »

DR Jay, I saw ELEPHANT a couple of days ago and agree with your thoughts on the style of filming.  I thought the long, dreamy shots following the various characters around made you feel exactly how adrift they were.  I am not really familiar with Gus Van Sant's work, though, so I don't have much to compare it to.  I'm not sure what controversial moment you are talking about, but there was one moment in the film that I found so utterly implausible as to snort out loud.  I wonder if that was the one?  Besides that, I liked the different "types" embodied by the various characters, although most of them were so good-looking it was hard to believe them as your normal everyday teenagers.  I did like that the film provided no easy answers.  

I also recently saw a similar film called ZERO DAY which depicted two high school boys planning a similar act of violence; the story was less about the students in general and more about the actual planning itself.  I thought the violence, and emotional impact, at the end of that film was more powerful than ELEPHANT.  
If you pursue your star, you cannot fail to reach a glorious harbor.  - Dante, Inferno XV

LC

• .o0o.
« Reply #74 on: October 26, 2003, 02:52:46 PM »

I don't think I have a very large forehead, but I do have a very large head.  It is a bit unseemly if you are as short as I am.   :P

Tonight I am going to see IN THE CUT, which is supposedly going to feature a *lot* of Meg Ryan that audiences aren't used to seeing.  When I read that I thought of BK and his somewhat recent dream!
If you pursue your star, you cannot fail to reach a glorious harbor.  - Dante, Inferno XV

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #75 on: October 26, 2003, 02:54:07 PM »

The Marrying Kind is also available on DVD - I'm surprised Phhht wasn't in the batch.

I see a lot of people perusing the board - this is, after all, free-for-all day - is it so hard to make a post or start a topic?  

I just had three new tires put on my automobile.  I'd had a flat about six months ago and changed out that tire then.  Then, this morning after doing an errand I noticed that another tire was really low - I took it in and it had a leak and was not repairable, so it was time to do the other tires anyway and now I feel safe and sound while tooling around on the road.

I'm about to do some more proofing and then I'm going to watch Solid Gold Cadillac.  I also picked up the third or fourth special edition of JFK - this one doesn't come out until November, but I got an early copy.  The running time looks the same as the last special edition, but supposedly it's a new transfer, and there's a second disc (as their was with the last special edition) that contains a new and long documentary, so that will be interesting.  It's the only Oliver Stone film I really care for.  I also think that along with Terminator 2 and a handful of others, that it's had more DVD incarnations than any other film.

Jed

« Reply #76 on: October 26, 2003, 03:06:05 PM »

I don't think I have a very large forehead, but I do have a very large head.

I'm right there with ya, LC!  I've got a big ol' freak head (as DR Ann will vouch for).  It's like an orange on a toothpick...it's got it's own weather system! (Oh, a So, I Married an Axe Murderer reference)  Actually, it's nothing like an orange on a toothpick, as I've never seen a 240-lb toothpick.  :)
I sat beside the class clown... and I studied him

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #77 on: October 26, 2003, 03:22:50 PM »

It is almost time for Fireball 500 on FLIX with Miss Annette Funicello who celebrated her 61st birthday last week.

I am trying a different loading system, so I am keeping my fingers crossed.

I am also going to get the Groucho Marx Box Set, You Bet Your Life.
I wonder if Mr Jeff Stryker was singing his hit single - the title of which cannot be spoken at HHW - in that photo?

Tomovoz

« Reply #78 on: October 26, 2003, 03:43:30 PM »

Thanks JRand53. A deightful picture of Annette. She is still a "Pineapple Princess". Useless pop fact of the week" Paul Anka released his own version of "Train in Love" in OZ and his was the hit version. It think the Anka 45rpm was an Oz only release. I need to get out more!
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Danise

« Reply #79 on: October 26, 2003, 03:48:25 PM »

Well, the grass is cut and trimmed, the porch and side walk is blown off, the supper cooked, dishes washed.   I’m sitting here with my bottle of ice cold water having taken 2 Tylenol, dog tired.  I think I’ll be hitting the hay early tonight.  All is right with the world.

I made one of my super easy all in one pot suppers.  You make it a can of Coke of all things!  I don’t drink Coke or wine/alcohol but I do cook with them.  It makes the meat soooo tender.   BTW.  I'm highly allergic to meat tenderizer as well.

Not a virus but wanted to know if anyone else is getting an  e-mail from someone who goes on and about being a Christian, is dying of cancer or something, states they have no children/heir and wants YOU to get the money (some are as “little” as 8.6 million to about 20 million) but you need to contact their lawyer because the money is in a Swiss Bank account or some such?     

Now I know this has to be a scam of some sort and just delete them but what kind of kick do people get out of this kind of thing?  

I have mixed feelings about Halloween.  Sometime I dress (if I’m in the mood) sometimes I don’t.  We’ll see how I feel on Friday. I have a pair of brown horns that blend in with my hair so perfectly that you have to really look to notice them.  I always get a charge out of wearing them because people know something is different but it takes a double take or two to see them.

I can’t speak for anyone else but I don’t take to the time changes very well.  It always takes me a week or more to adjust.    It’s 6:33 PM and already fully  dark.  I HATE that.  

Just read the ending posts from yesterday.  Thank you Laura II.

Have a good evening all.

D
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #80 on: October 26, 2003, 04:21:54 PM »

They want your bank account number.....and if they get one out of 10,000 emails, there scheme is a success.  

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #81 on: October 26, 2003, 04:22:54 PM »

Oh yes, TomOZ - Annette's version of "Train of Love" is delightful...included originally of course on the Annette Sings Anka Buena Vista album!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #82 on: October 26, 2003, 05:07:46 PM »

Um, has anyone noticed a little teensy disparity between the number of posts yesterday and the number of posts thus far today?  I noticed.  The disparity is about 100 posts.  Now, ninety posts is nothing to sneeze at...

Achoo!

Oh - I was wrong.  Really, let's not have one of those lazy crazy hazy days of October just because of a little time change.  I can see quite a few people perusing the board - why don't you all post?  Or is it because I'm asking?

Danise

« Reply #83 on: October 26, 2003, 06:06:47 PM »

Stopping by one last time before I hit the hay.  Lord, I'm so tired I had to retype that one line 3 times to get it right.  Forgive my fingers--they know not what they type.

Anyway, I kinda figured they want something and I must be on the hit list .  I've had 3 e-mails like that in the past few days.  

It's not the age, it's the mileage.    That's a line you should know if you watched the Indy DVD.

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%] Have a good evening everyone!  
Good night!  Sleep tight!
              :)
[/move]  

D
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Ron Pulliam

« Reply #84 on: October 26, 2003, 06:18:40 PM »

Yes, it's been quite a day!

We set new "heat" records in the Bay Area AGAIN.  I'm weary of this tropical nonsense.  If I wanted hot weather, I'd move to Florida!

Or Georgia, if I wanted a batch of gnats with my heat!

We have a slight break due by mid-week, so things should cool down a bit.  We haven't had rain since early May, and I sure am looking forward to a rainstorm or three.

I watched "Song of the South" this afternoon.  It was supposed to be a direct copy of the laser, but NO!  Missing are the standard "Sooner or Later" and a verse of the finale, the one that goes "This heart of mine is in the heart of dixie, that's where it belongs, singing a song..."

Why????????????????????????????????????

SwishySarah

• Swish On!
« Reply #85 on: October 26, 2003, 06:19:39 PM »

I, too, am absolutely exhausted. 5-ish hours of sleep after partying isn't quite enough for me, and I'm starting to feel rather like a zombie. Time to go to sleep.

Oh and I might be able to post tomorrow around 1:45, as thats when I have lunch on "B" Days, and I have srict instructions from my voice teacher that if I say ONE word or have the slightest bit of sugar, she'll kill me. So lunch is too tempting of a place. I'll head off to the library and surf the half-hour away.

The annoying thing is that I have choir tomorrow and I'm not going to be able to sing, and then Tues. and Thus. mornings I have All-County rehearsal. Errrr. I want to SING! My entire family is loving it, they keep commenting on how quiet it is, and how something seems to be missing, and how lovely it is. Apparently I sing too much. But pishaw to them if they think they'll stop me. I Will Not Be Silenced!

My brother's girlfriend is here. When I ever-so-pleasantly whispered "Hi Arianne", she says "Wow...you sound like s**t! That is so funny, you really sound awful!"

Isn't she nice? If her car weren't so damn pretty, (2003 BMW) I'd go out and put toothpaste on it.

Richard Valley

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #86 on: October 26, 2003, 06:29:24 PM »

Hey, Bruce, is that the SHERLOCK HOLMES COLLECTION by the guy Leonard Maltin referred to on his radio show as a Holmes scholar . . .?

Richard Valley
www.scarletstreet.com

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #87 on: October 26, 2003, 06:35:23 PM »

Welcome to R. Valley - it's about time, bucko.  Yes, it is the same Sherlock Holmes box set with notes by our very own Richard Valley.  

There are currently nine people perusing this board.  If all of them posted I'd fee sure we'd be over 100 posts, but I'm not cheerleading anymore, oh, no, I am not cheerleading anymore.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #88 on: October 26, 2003, 06:39:13 PM »

Hey, wait a minute - aren't we having a party?  We've got ten guests and ten registered users, that's a lot of party people.

Now, dance, baby.

Jay

« Reply #89 on: October 26, 2003, 06:42:32 PM »

Of course you're not cheerleading.  You don't have any pompoms.  May I humbly suggest a drive over to the pompom store and that you purchase yourself a pair of pompoms.  That way you can lead us in cheer once again.  Rah-rah-boom-de-ay!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up