Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Down

Author Topic: THE TRIPLE LUTZ  (Read 18195 times)

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
Re:THE TRIPLE LUTZ
« Reply #120 on: November 15, 2004, 07:47:17 PM »

DRGEORGE are you requesting delivery to a PO Box number - sometimes that makes a difference....

No, I used my regular street address. :'(
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #121 on: November 15, 2004, 07:48:40 PM »

Jane, I love your photos!  So colorful.  I made this one my wallpaper at work.  Page Five Dance (I hope this works):

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%][/move]
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #122 on: November 15, 2004, 07:49:23 PM »

For DR George.. Alex Dimitriades in "Head On"

Yum! :-* (I know...TMI!)

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #123 on: November 15, 2004, 08:05:51 PM »

Thanks George and now you have made me dizzy. :D

Gotta go.  Goodnight.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #124 on: November 15, 2004, 08:18:23 PM »

Did not have a chance to watch a film today. I did see some more FRIENDS episodes today including the hilarious Thanksgiving episode with Brad Pitt as an enemy of Rachel's. One of their best-ever Thanksgiving episodes.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #125 on: November 15, 2004, 08:21:02 PM »

So Dan, do you still put a garden under the tree?  I fear we gave it up after my Dad passed.  It just didn't feel the same without him there to set it up with.   :)

I started taking over doing the "platform" (as we always referred to it) when I was about 12 or 13, with my dad guiding me on how to hook up the train tracks, stabilize the tree stand, etc..  Eventually I did the whole thing myself and continued to do it after my dad died.  I now pretty much spend all of Thanksgiving weekend at the House of Mom putting up and decorating the tree (its artificial) and then setting up the platform underneath.  Those pics I posted yesterday were actually from last year and don't really show the finished production.  I'll have to remember to take fresh pics this year to show off the whole thing.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #126 on: November 15, 2004, 08:24:03 PM »

Book Of The Month...Book of the Month Club Records is an offshoot of the BOTM Club.  They also released a two-record (and CD) compilation of Sondheim stuff that was all specifically recorded for this project.  The Sondheim set also included a suite of dances from Pacific Overtures.  It's quite wonderful...I think!
BOTM doesn't stand for Boyfriend Of The Moment?  Dang!

And agree about the Sondheim CD.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Noel

• Husband (10th year), father and songwriter
    • Musings on musicals
« Reply #127 on: November 15, 2004, 08:37:50 PM »

So, it's called Lithia because its springs are full of Lithium?

Sounds like a happy place.
In this family, when words won't do, there's gotta be a song.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #128 on: November 15, 2004, 09:00:21 PM »

Good Evening!

...Well, I guess I'll clean the bathroom and kitchen tomorrow... Hmmm...

-And the malaise and ennui begin to set in...

What the heck am I talking about?!?!?  In any case...

I definitely need to get "active" around here, it's just been too easy to wallow and be lazy since I've gotten back from New York/Houston/LA.  But, as my friends keep telling me, "You're due for a break."  So...

I'm always caught off guard when I get these breaks in my schedule.  I look forward to them when I'm working, but once I get "here", I have no idea what to do with my time.  Ah, well...  I do know I start back up in 15 days, and I do plan to enjoy this time off, but it really is easy just being lazy.

Is any of this making sense?

At least I do know I have working coming up, so that's good.

OK... I'm going to stop this post... I'm rambling...

Time to hit Post...

???
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #129 on: November 15, 2004, 09:02:17 PM »

So, it's called Lithia because its springs are full of Lithium?

Sounds like a happy place.

I was going to ask the same thing.  Do the springs still emit lithium?  If so, do the let people near them?  Or are the levels low enough where they don't do any harm?
Make Your Own Luck.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #130 on: November 15, 2004, 09:20:01 PM »

Just finished watching the check disc of What If and it's fine, so that's done.

Now I'm watching the Boston tryout of Grand Hotel, prior to Mr. Yeston joining the team.  Boy, did it need a lot of work at this point.  While I don't love Mr. Yeston's contributions (I like them, just don't love them), seeing the show in this form you realize just how important and necessary his songs are.  Lots of the underscore to the show is just piano as it hadn't been orchestrated yet, and Flaemchen's song was the one we recorded on one of the Lost in Boston CDs, The Flame Girl, again with just piano (I don't think it was ever orchestrated before being replaced) and poor Jane K. trying to make something out of it (at this stage, Tommy Tune was doing his usual shoot himself in the foot routine by not letting numbers end - he eventually, as he always does, realizes how inane that is and he put endings on everything).

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #131 on: November 15, 2004, 09:53:34 PM »

OH... I keep meaning to ask...

There have been a bunch of Drive-Thru Flu Shot Clinics here in Richmond the past couple of days.  Seems kind of strange to me, and the footage of the traffic is mind-boggling - and, needless to say, a pain in the butt for the daily commuters.  People literally drive up, get approved (or disapproved) as an "at risk" person, roll their sleeve down, and then get the shot.  Of course, with the flu-shot shortage/situation, the demand - and traffic - has been quite heavy.  But I guess if that's one way to get the vaccine distributed...

Do any DRs have Drive-Thru Flu Shot Clinics going on in their area?
Make Your Own Luck.

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #132 on: November 15, 2004, 10:16:13 PM »

Tomovoz, actually it was Shakespeare's RICHARD III...which may be my favourite Shakespeare...that sparked my historical interest in Richard...very different man than Shakespeare's charismatic villain.  But Drama is Drama and History is History... and should not take its evidence from drama.

Jay, your assessment of POLAR EXPRESS was largely mine.  I found it an overblown, over-produced carnvial thrill ride and awfully predictable. I don't how many times I looked at my watch. A story with the theme of a child on the cusp of wanting to still believe in Santa but beginning to have doubts, could've have been handled with a lot more simplicity and sensitivity.  

I'm so tired of movies that assault you with effects, particularly at the expense of character and story.  And not only did they try to make Polar Express like a theme park ride, but the effects became rather repetitive...there must have been three or four big set pieces back-to-back  that were practically the same thing, all approximating a roller coaster ride.  This is a Christmas story, where is its heart?  And hadn't we heard the theme, that they kept pumping at us rather blatantly, better expressed in the original MIRACLE ON 34TH STREET years ago:  "Faith is believing in things when common sense tells you not to."

And you're absolutely right!  Tom Hanks...Oscar talk, pahhh!!!  There is nothing taxing in any of the parts he plays and the main one, the conductor, was I felt rather obvious and cartoony.  It came off like a bad community theatre performance.  Give me Alistair Sim any day.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #133 on: November 15, 2004, 10:17:32 PM »

Drive-Thru (Flu) Shootings?  Not that I know of.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #134 on: November 15, 2004, 10:19:40 PM »

No one posts?  Skammen.  Just watched We'll Take a Glass Together, ala Boston tryout.  At that point it was about fifty percent of what it became - you can hear the audience just dying to applaud, just dying for Michael Jeter to let go (he wasn't doing any of the stuff on the bar) but not our Tommy - he just teases, and then shoots himself in the foot over and over again - having people constantly walk through the number (maids, bellboys, etc.) and then, just when the number cries out for the big finish, he stops it - it literally just dies before your eyes and goes right into I Waltz Alone.  I don't know what Mr. Tune's "process" was or is, but the fact that that was his "take" on this number and it took audiences to tell him how wrong he was, is just amazing to me.  It's so obvious and should have BEEN obvious from the get-go, as soon as he started to see run-throughs.  

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #135 on: November 15, 2004, 10:36:33 PM »

So good to see you again, Jason. We've missed you.
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #136 on: November 15, 2004, 11:44:19 PM »

The Tupperware party was not nearly as much fun as I had been led to believe it would be.

:(
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

Jay

« Reply #137 on: November 15, 2004, 11:48:08 PM »

Dear Reader Jose was kind enough to direct me to an article in yesterday's New York Times.  Herewith a picture that accompanied the article and one very good reason (or six) to take up an interest in opera:  Mr. Nathan Gunn in Mr. Benjamin Britten's Billy Budd.

Jay

« Reply #138 on: November 15, 2004, 11:56:15 PM »

Coincidentally, Michael Jeter "plays" two characters in The Polar Express.  That is, he completed the computerized "motion capture" of his parts before he passed away.  If you stay until the very end of the credits, you will learn that the film is dedicated to his memory.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Up