Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down

Author Topic: THE TRIPLE LUTZ  (Read 19099 times)

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
Re:THE TRIPLE LUTZ
« Reply #90 on: November 15, 2004, 04:29:35 PM »

I was locked out after I posted the picture, hmm…

MBarnum thank you for giving such detailed information on the park.  I believe that is a photo of the renovated hotel you found.  It is lovely inside but lacking a contrasting trim on the outside which many locals complain about.

Tomovoz I didn’t realize you only have evergreens.  Glad you are enjoying the pictures.

Elmore we will find a new book to discuss by the time you come visit.

Jane

« Reply #91 on: November 15, 2004, 04:30:58 PM »

That is a Wood Duck in front of the Mallard.  I just love the markings on a male Wood Duck.

Jane

« Reply #92 on: November 15, 2004, 04:36:33 PM »

Danise I will have to think on the person you sound like.

One more photo for you.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #93 on: November 15, 2004, 04:39:35 PM »

Good Evening!

-Back from my walk...

-Back from my dinner with my friend, Mark - We hadn't seen each other since before I left for L.A. back in July!  Very nice to catch up in person.

-Back from my post-dinner walk... which ended up including a stop by Bev's Ice Cream.  :)  I got a regular cup with 1/2 Rum Raisin and 1/2 Pralines & Cream - a pretty good combo.

-Now just sitting down catching up on e-mails, and watching some TV...

That's all for now...
Make Your Own Luck.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #94 on: November 15, 2004, 04:40:54 PM »

Just heard that the wonderful French composer, Michel Columbier, has passed away at sixty-five.  I've always loved his work, and then got the chance to work with him when he did several charts for the album I produced for Petula Clark.  While he wasn't the music director for the album (Ron Abel was), he came in and conducted his charts.  He was a very sweet person and I had fun talking to him between takes.  I told him I was a huge fan of his score to Une Chambre en Ville, and he seemed taken aback that anyone would actually know it.  Two days later he sent me two DATs with the entire score (the film is all-sung, like Umbrellas of Cherbourg) right of his masters.  

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #95 on: November 15, 2004, 04:41:04 PM »

DR Jane - Thanks again for the pictures!
Make Your Own Luck.

Tomovoz

« Reply #96 on: November 15, 2004, 04:51:29 PM »

Didn't really know of Michael Columbier until his recording "Wings" in 1969. An old favourite LP.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #97 on: November 15, 2004, 05:04:26 PM »

I have a question (even though it's not Ask Questions Wednesday):  Has anyone in the U.S. tried to buy something from Amazon.co.uk's Marketplace (individual sellers selling through Amazon.co.uk)?  I tried and I keep getting the message:

Important Message:  There is a slight problem with your order. (See below.)

*** Unfortunately the item cannot be delivered to your selected destination. You may either change the delivery address or delete the item from your order by changing its quantity to 0 and clicking the Update button. ***

I've never had this happen before, but then I've never tried to buy something from the Amazon.co.uk Marketplace.  I want to get the Region 2 DVD of "Head On."  It's like a gay Australian "Zorba the Greek"...and the lead actor is a LOT better looking that Anthony Quinn.  When I went to the Help section, they list the U.S. as one of the countries that can purchase items from their Marketplace, so I have no idea why it doesn't work.  Anyway, that's my dilemma.  Any help or ideas??
« Last Edit: November 15, 2004, 05:05:22 PM by George »
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #98 on: November 15, 2004, 05:09:33 PM »

PS.  There is a U.S. version available, but the Region 2 DVD looks like it has some bonus stuff that the U.S. version doesn't.  
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #99 on: November 15, 2004, 05:22:13 PM »

DRGEORGE are you requesting delivery to a PO Box number - sometimes that makes a difference....
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jane

« Reply #100 on: November 15, 2004, 05:30:04 PM »

George, Keith tried sending books to Craig in Romania on that site and had the same problem.  He could have them sent from the U.S. :-\

Jane

« Reply #101 on: November 15, 2004, 05:31:44 PM »

Bruce, sad news and way too young.

Jose you are welcome.  I think I have a new addiction-my own photos of the park. ;D

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #102 on: November 15, 2004, 05:33:58 PM »

Elmore we will find a new book to discuss by the time you come visit.

Nurse Jane, I hope several books.  We haven't even discovered all the ones we both like in common.   Great photos, dear, especially the park.  To stroll down that avenue of trees with you, it's so Jane Austen!  

Speaking of books, I have to get that Margot Fonteyn bio and the new Tallulah Bankhead as well.  There's also a P G Wodehouse bio and a new Cary Grant that I want to read.

DRDanise, I do not recall a trace of a Southern accent in your voice.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

MBarnum

« Reply #103 on: November 15, 2004, 05:34:50 PM »

Dr Jane, I agree with you re: the ducks. I just find ducks fascinating to watch, and some are just so beautiful. They are sometimes just amazing.

Jane

« Reply #104 on: November 15, 2004, 06:02:46 PM »

http://search.barnesandnoble.com/booksearch/isbnInquiry.asp?userid=O9t1CxUKkB&isbn=0670843709&itm=1

elmore do you get a discount at Barnes & Noble?  I might ask Bryan for this book as my x-mas preasant, if he comes for Christmas.  Otherwise he will send me Jordon Almonds from Portland.

Jane

« Reply #105 on: November 15, 2004, 06:08:37 PM »

elmore then I shall have to wear a long dress when we do walk the path.

MBarnum our home use to be on the migrating path for the Wood Ducks, now all we get are a few Mallards.  

Danise the woman who I think sounds like you is from Florida and I met her in Bethesda.  I have also not spoken to you in person which could make a difference.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2004, 06:33:08 PM by Jane »

Tomovoz

« Reply #106 on: November 15, 2004, 06:12:18 PM »

I often get the Amazon marketplace message George as many USA sellers will not ship internationally. (Ship being the verb and not a noun).

"Head On" is a not too bad a movie - there is even a soundtrack! The movie is set in my home town of Melbourne which has a large "Greek" population.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #107 on: November 15, 2004, 06:19:12 PM »

Lovely photos today!

Tomovoz

« Reply #108 on: November 15, 2004, 06:28:30 PM »

For DR George.. Alex Dimitriades in "Head On"
James Thurber 1957

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #109 on: November 15, 2004, 06:39:31 PM »

elmore do you get a discount at Barnes & Noble?  I might ask Bryan for this book as my x-mas preasant, if he comes for Christmas.  Otherwise he will send me Jordon Almonds from Portland.

Yes, Dear Jane, I do get the employee discount!  I think you'd look absolutely gorgeous in a Regency style dress, but we couldn't walk there in this weather; those gowns are so sheer, you'd freeze.  I thought we'd lose you in NYC.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #110 on: November 15, 2004, 06:45:17 PM »

Some thoughts on movies I've seen in the last week or so:

The Incredibles:  Terrific movie for people of all ages.  Proves that a strong story served well by animation technology remains a strong story.  Talk of its nomination as best film (in addition to being nominated as best animated film) of the year is warranted.  I heard lots of laughs of recognition by parents in the audience in response to many of the lines in the film.

The Polar Express:  Proves that technology does not a story make.  This film has its moments, but I could not help but think it was a big build-up for a theme-park ride yet to be built.  Strangely, it's not out of Disney or Universal or even Knott's Berry Farm.  The book on which this film is based is unfamiliar to me, but I'm guessing that it's a magical children's story that has been beefed up (possibly with the use of steroids) to make it a viable theatrical release.  The non-human imagery is breathtaking in many parts.  The depiction of hair blowing in the wind is landmark.  That said, I would much have preferred live actors in front of a blue screen over the spooky human characterizations this film offers.  Talk of Best Actor for Tom Hanks?  Gimme a break.

Callas Forever:  Fanny Ardant as Callas is wonderful, and any scene in which she appears is quite fine.  There is a film within a film in this picture, in which Mme. Callas (played by Miss Ardant) plays Carmen, lip-synching to the recording she made twenty years prior to the time of Callas Forever, and it's a movie that I wish had truly been made. Mr. Zefferelli, who essentially channels himself into the Jeremy Irons character, is rather self-indulgent in this film in his depiction of a romance he has with a young artist.  Please.  Had this film focused exclusively on Madame Callas and omitted Zefferelli's apologia to the young man he wronged, this would have been a far superior movie.

Sideways:  Lovers of fine wine and small-scale character-driven comedy/drama should run to see this film.  My kind of movie.  This and Garden State are probably the two best films I've seen yet this year.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2004, 06:53:47 PM by Jay »
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #111 on: November 15, 2004, 06:49:27 PM »

This and Garden State are probably the two best films I've seen yet this year.

DRJay, I thought GARDEN STATE was a hoot!  I talked to DRPennyO about seeing SIDEWAYS.  She should be back from LA by now.

Jane

« Reply #112 on: November 15, 2004, 06:56:50 PM »

elmore-LOL.  You would think all the years I lived in the east would have toughened me up-no way.  And tell Penny to come see my photos of Lithia Park.  She should appreciate them having been there.

My goodness, I just read that Popeye is 75 years old.  I had no idea.

I’m not as eloquent as Jay.  All I have to say about THE INCREDIBLES is it was lots of fun.

Jane

« Reply #113 on: November 15, 2004, 07:00:58 PM »

That was the third time tonight I posted and then was locked out and had to reconnect.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #114 on: November 15, 2004, 07:07:28 PM »

Ain't technology wonderful?

Emily

« Reply #115 on: November 15, 2004, 07:08:52 PM »

Guess what I just ordered... :)
"We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true" except at HHW of course! - Robert Wilensky

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #116 on: November 15, 2004, 07:09:06 PM »

Oh yes.  Add I [Heart] Huckabees to my list of favorite films so far this year.

Now I'm late to, believe it or not, a Tupperware party.  Until later, I remain yours, yours, yours.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2004, 11:30:52 PM by Jay »
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

Emily

« Reply #117 on: November 15, 2004, 07:10:02 PM »

...and can I just say how much I LOVE the fact that the Canadian Dollar is now equal to a whopping 82 cents American?!?

LOVE.THAT.
"We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true" except at HHW of course! - Robert Wilensky

Tomovoz

« Reply #118 on: November 15, 2004, 07:28:37 PM »

Emily the $A and the $C must be living in the same universe.
James Thurber 1957

Jane

« Reply #119 on: November 15, 2004, 07:34:48 PM »

Emily I also ordered my book today.  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up