Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: NO MORE HALVAH  (Read 26039 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
NO MORE HALVAH
« on: November 19, 2004, 12:01:07 AM »

Well, you've read the notes, you know the new watch cry of haineshisway.com, you know we're havin' a partay, and thus you may now post until the cows come home, which they now will because of the no halvah edict.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2004, 11:59:55 PM by bk »

Tomovoz

Re:NO MORE HALVAH
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2004, 12:10:11 AM »

Happy Birthday Jason.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Tomovoz

« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2004, 12:19:30 AM »

CDs: The Beatles "Sgt Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club  Band"
         London Cast (Tommy Steele) "Some Like It Hot"
          Still Jerome Kern!!!!

DVD: Bobby Darin:  "Mack is Back"
Record: "On The Wings Of Love"  Jeffrey Osborne.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2004, 01:09:19 AM »

DVD player: I'm catching up with films that start with the letter A.  Adam's Rib, Angels in America, Adaptation.

CD player (car): Der Brucer bought a disc of Ferrante and Teicher during our DVD raid last week.  

CD player (house): just a variety of stuff, getting used to having a CD player in my room.  Yes, BK, a lot of what's playing is what you've produced.  Only this time, I'm paying more attention to what Elmore worked on, too.  (See, the discussions on this site do have their effect.)

And I'm reading this mystery story set in 1969.  I'd include the title, but I'm stuck to remembering it.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Danise

« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2004, 03:33:40 AM »

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]Happy,[/move]

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]Birthday,[/move]

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]DR Jason!!![/move]
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2004, 04:00:00 AM »

Good morning, all!  First, DRJason, Happy Birthday and wishes for many more healthy and happy ones.

DRNoel, I hope things didn't get too testy yesterday about opera and musical theatre.  When I was much much younger than I am now, I believed a lot more in things I read about subjects only to find later that the writer fed me a line.  I find this happens a lot - Ethan Mordden's entirely incorrect account of my Cole Porter restoration JUBILEE is the latest, and since it's in print it must be true! -  and I've been lucky to work in a field where a lot of things I'd seen in print turned out to be wrong, from plot synopses to casting.

So, I'm outspoken, not mean (I hope), but I'm a Virgo, and I analyze the hell out of things.  I've had about 40 years of reading, listening and working in various aspects of musical theatre, from opera to musical comedy.  I couldn't tell you which came first, probably opera, and I've formed my own opinions of the field, which often are totally the oppposite of your views.  I respect them, but I'll challenge them, partly to keep the debate going and partly to help me formulate my own thoughts.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2004, 04:05:37 AM by elmore3003 »
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Michael

« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2004, 04:00:41 AM »

HAPPY BIRTHDAY JASON

« Last Edit: November 19, 2004, 04:01:38 AM by Michael Shayne »
Never stop dreaming.

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2004, 04:28:14 AM »

A barely-survived trip to the dentist followed by a halvah binge. Is there something not right with this picture?

No More Halvah - Two Versions

When you lift the lid, the music plays
Like a disapproving nod.
And it sings in your ear:
"No more halvah, my dear!"
In a way, it's a little like the voice of God.

Comes the day you say, 'What for?'
Please.. no more (halvah).

« Last Edit: November 19, 2004, 05:26:36 AM by Dan-in-Toronto »

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2004, 04:28:39 AM »

Happiest of Birthdays to DR Jason!

Ben

« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2004, 04:30:25 AM »

Oh, Michael!!! Where on earth did you find that picture???

Happy Birthday Jason! Think of MTI as Minscule Talentless Imbiciles (except for you)

Listening to a rebroadcast of Russell Davies on BBC Radio Two right now. I'm not sure what else I will listen to during the day.

I will be seeing a cabaret show tonight. Friends who had a singing group for a few years have decided this is the end. They are performing at Don't Tell Mama's and recording the evening to make a CD. It will be the farewell performance.

Anthony will be working at ActorFest tomorrow. It's a full day seminar hosted by Backstage, the trade paper here in New York (I think they also have a Los Angeles edition). I shall attempt to purchase a couple of his Christmas gifts since he will be away. Shhh, don't tell him. Since I'm about to embark on my monthly vacation from work, we will be together full time for the next month so there isn't much time. I also have to get a few more Hannukah presents (I have five of the requisite eight) so I can mail out the box on Monday.

Hi, Dan. Hi, Woody.

Emily

« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2004, 05:07:46 AM »

HAPPY BIRTHDAY JASON! :)
"We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true" except at HHW of course! - Robert Wilensky

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2004, 05:11:22 AM »

Happy Happy Birthday, Dear Reader Jason!!!
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2004, 05:47:00 AM »

No More Halvah - Two Versions

When you lift the lid, the music plays
Like a disapproving nod.
And it sings in your ear:
"No more halvah, my dear!"
In a way, it's a little like the voice of God.

Comes the day you say, 'What for?'
Please.. no more (halvah).

DRDIT, you beat me to it!

Media alert:

CD:  Always Guy Haines, and now I have this "Bus and Truck" demo to listen to.   Beyond that, no idea.

DVD:  I've got one Netflix film and I forget what it is!

VHS:  I have this new player, nothing I do programs it correctly, and I'm abandoning videocassettes.  What the hell?

And I'm seeing the Almodovar film tomorrow night.  Beyond that, I'll see where my listening/viewing takes me.  I'm reading the new Bankhead and Margot Fonteyn bios simultaneously, so now I want to see Talullah in THE SLEEPING BEAUTY and Fonteyn in LIFEBOAT.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2004, 05:47:59 AM by elmore3003 »
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2004, 05:48:52 AM »

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]! ! ! ! !  HAPPY BIRTHDAY DR JASON  ! ! ! ! ! [/move]
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2004, 06:19:28 AM »

My Halvah-Free Media Check:

CD Player (at home):  A Party With betty Comdon and Adolph Green (the first one)

CD Player (at work):  Nothing.

DVD Player:  My Man Godfrey bought by my sister at K-mart for the price of--you guessed it--a dollar.  What is it with all these $1 DVDs?

VHS:  Nothing.

MP3 player:  Frank Zappa's Chocolate Halvah  D'oh!  Almost made it all the way through...  Isn't it insidious how much halvah invades our lives?

And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Jennifer

« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2004, 06:48:38 AM »

Happy Birthday DR Jason!

MBarnum

« Reply #16 on: November 19, 2004, 07:06:15 AM »

Media check:

CD: Arabian Pop Hits

VHS: Mask of Fu Manchu

DVD: W.C Fields collection and The Marx Bros. Collection, Johnny One Eye.

And my Bollywood movie of the week is Angilumala. A fun costume drama that I started last night and will finish this afternoon.

MBarnum

« Reply #17 on: November 19, 2004, 07:07:05 AM »

Have a wonderful Birthday Jason!!!  ;D :D ;) :)

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #18 on: November 19, 2004, 07:13:44 AM »

The Number One reason I should never try to multi-task:

I forgot the change the master on the copy machine and ran off the wrong page on ALL of the Thanksgiving bulletins.
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #19 on: November 19, 2004, 07:14:58 AM »

I go to retrieve my toasted bagel and return to my desk to find that someone has left a mysterious package there.  I wonder what it can be...
-- Anaïs Nin

Noel

• Husband (10th year), father and songwriter
    • Musings on musicals
« Reply #20 on: November 19, 2004, 07:15:00 AM »

Zombie Prom, a musical by Dempsey and Rowe
The Christmas Bride, a musical by Noel Katz (demo)
Lost In Boston III

The tape deck has various cassettes involving work on Generation F'd.
In this family, when words won't do, there's gotta be a song.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #21 on: November 19, 2004, 08:03:32 AM »

elmore's post above (his response to Noel) is why I love this site and why we will soon be the most popular site on all the Internet.

Ginny

« Reply #22 on: November 19, 2004, 08:06:11 AM »

CD - A Saturday Tradition, The University of Michigan Marching Band, to counteract all the Ohio State Buckeye mania going on in my workplace today.  Go Blue!
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #23 on: November 19, 2004, 08:17:54 AM »

Good Morning!

...As much as I like being a late-night denizen, I'm sort of digging being on a "normal" schedule.  Of course, as soon as I start rehearsals and performances for Hallelujah, Baby! in two weeks, all bets are off...

Media Check:

CD Player: Bus and Truck (demo), Caroline, or Change (OCR), Dave Grusin's new solo piano movie themes disc, and a bunch of other things on stand-by

DVD: Broadway: The Golden Age, Khwahish

VCR: ????
Make Your Own Luck.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #24 on: November 19, 2004, 08:22:43 AM »

Just heard the sad news that Cy Coleman had a massive heart attack and has died.  

I have so many lovely memories of him - he was very sweet, very kind, very gracious.  I remember going over his house to play him the Coleman cuts on Emily and Alice's album (I think there were three) and he was just like a little kid and he loved them.  

I remember the first time I met him - I'd sent him a note about including a classical piece by him on the Bay Cities' Classical Broadway album.  I hadn't heard back from him, and then one day the phone rang and I heard, "Bruce?  This is Cy.  Listen to this."  And he proceeded to play for me over the phone "Never Met a Man I Didn't Like" which he'd just gotten the mix of.  I thought it was such a funny way to meet one of my legends.

I remember badgering him to come and record a jazz CD for me - we talked and talked about it, but sadly the timing was never right.

I remember doing the revival cast album of Little Me - Neil Simon didn't want to be involved in the dialogue choices for the album, but I was insistent on having them because I felt it was the only way you'd know what Marty Short was about in the show - so, Cy and I sat for two days figuring it out, and we just had so much fun doing it.  I met his lovely wife that day, and her telling the story of how they met and their courtship was priceless and pure Cy.  And I remember the Little Me session as one of the easiest ever, and Cy just sitting next to Harold Wheeler, the orchestrator, and just loving hearing the tracks go down.

Finally, I remember him getting me his house seats for The Life, which he wanted me to see.  After the show, I handed him Lost in Boston IV, which we'd just finished, and which had Gimme a Raincheck, a cut song from Sweet Charity.  I'd seen a workshop of The Life months before and hated it - but somehow between then and what I saw that night, the show had become pretty good, thanks to Cy's music and Michael Blakemore's production.  Anyway, I handed Cy the CD and he, as always, was thrilled that the song had been recorded - I then told him how much I'd enjoyed the show, and said, "Cy, you are always the hippest one in the room."

And that was Cy - always the hippest one in the room.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #25 on: November 19, 2004, 08:24:12 AM »

Now, back to the halvah...

-What flavor of halvah was it? Plain (vanilla)? Chocolate? Pistachio? Marble (vanilla and chocolate)? Chocolate Covered?

-What form of halvah was it? A stick (like a quarter of butter)?  A brick (like a brick of cheese)?  Sliced to order from the deli? A pre-sliced, and wrapped piece?

And most importantly...

-Just how much of said halvah did you eat? ;)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #26 on: November 19, 2004, 08:28:40 AM »

Very sad news about Cy Coleman...

"The Colors of My Life..."
Make Your Own Luck.

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #27 on: November 19, 2004, 08:34:42 AM »

Very sad about Cy Coleman. I obviously have no personal memories of him like bk does, but will add the following... I was in New York with DD once when she was quite young. I told her we could see any show she wanted -- and she picked THE LIFE. Not ANNIE or something equally benign. My kid. Well, she just loved it. In fact, I had to explain to her that being a "ho" was not an option as a career choice. I still have the little match box from the show that she insisted on buying.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #28 on: November 19, 2004, 08:35:13 AM »

Two other funny memories:

We'd done the Randy Graff Cy Coleman album.  We sent Randy the mix and she had certain problems with it, which neither Vinnie nor I agreed with.  We went back and forth on it.  In the meantime, she sent the CD to Cy, saying nothing, just to get his reaction.  He called her and told her he loved it, loved her singing, loved the song selection.  And then he said, "Oh, and tell Bruce that's one of the best-mixed albums I've ever heard."  That was the end of Randy's problems with the mix.

And when I saw Will Rogers Follies, I developed a crush on one of the showgirls, Wendy Waring.  I called Tony Walton, and he told Wendy about it, and I later met her (never meet the people you have crushes on).  I told Cy that I had a little schoolboy crush on Wendy (just prior to meeting her) and his reply?  "Get in line."

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #29 on: November 19, 2004, 08:35:53 AM »

...Oh, I almost forgot... She also insisted on waiting by the stage door after the show and meeting the cast. I think I still have the autographed playbill.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2004, 08:36:44 AM by Panni »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8   Go Up