Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: NO MORE HALVAH  (Read 26038 times)

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
Re:NO MORE HALVAH
« Reply #60 on: November 19, 2004, 10:47:33 AM »

And one for Coleman!!
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #61 on: November 19, 2004, 10:47:57 AM »

Good Afternoon!

-I just finished a bit of tidying up around the apartment, and now I must get ready to head up north - well, at least up to Fairfax to spend some time with my family.  And, as luck would have it, my brother, Jay - not to be confused with DR Stuart's DB/DR Jay - will be flying in tonight too from San Diego.

Laters... from Fairfax
« Last Edit: November 19, 2004, 10:49:44 AM by JoseSPiano »
Make Your Own Luck.

Sandra

• "Stupider."
« Reply #62 on: November 19, 2004, 10:48:48 AM »

Happy birthday, Dear Reader Jason!! *Throwing confetti* To celebrate, I will go get a Cherry Coke as soon as I leave the library.

You may have written a whole paragraph about halvah, BK, but I bet that my fencing buddies and I are the only ones to have a ten-minute conversation about having anvils down your pants.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Vibes for my mom while she tries to clean up her bulletin mess.
The mountains are pretty.

"I'm gonna put the little fish in the big tank, and the big fish in the little tank." -- talkative bus driver

William F. Orr

• Jeeper Creepers!
« Reply #63 on: November 19, 2004, 10:58:39 AM »

CD Player at Work:  I just finished listening to the BK-produced Bay Cities The Anastasia Affair.  But now I have in The Will Rogers Follies, because it's the only Cy Coleman CD I have at work, and I want to hear Keith Carradine sing "I Never Met a Man I Didn't Like", so I can cry.  I feel I deserve a good cry when someone like him passes.  I'll go home later and play "Hey There Good Times" and "If My Friends Could See Me Now" and dance around the room with joy and celebration and laughter and legs.

VCR:  A blank tape, of course, for tonight's episode of Enterprise.  And speaking of Keith Carradine, yes, I did cry in the episode where his character died.  But hey, it was T'Pol, the Vulcan, who suggested naming the new nebula after him.  
"Champagne to my real friends, and real pain to my sham friends!"
--Wayland Flowers

William F. Orr

• Jeeper Creepers!
« Reply #64 on: November 19, 2004, 10:59:48 AM »

And I grew up in Oklahoma, where Will Rogers is something of a demi-god, second only to Mickey Mantle.
--Wayland Flowers

William F. Orr

• Jeeper Creepers!
« Reply #65 on: November 19, 2004, 11:07:57 AM »

Now since no one has made even one little peep about my riddle from yesterday, I will repeat it:

How (variant = Why) is a mouse when it spins?

And another couple of hints:

Steven King had the answer, but he was asked a different question, down a rabbit hole.

Alexander Rozhenko knew the answer, but he never heard the question.
--Wayland Flowers

William F. Orr

• Jeeper Creepers!
« Reply #66 on: November 19, 2004, 11:08:23 AM »

What do you mean, "Who is Alexander Rozhenko?"?
--Wayland Flowers

William F. Orr

• Jeeper Creepers!
« Reply #67 on: November 19, 2004, 11:09:09 AM »

Why, he is the grandson of Baron von Trapp and Bill Sykes' Nancy, of course.
--Wayland Flowers

William F. Orr

• Jeeper Creepers!
« Reply #68 on: November 19, 2004, 11:09:42 AM »

I am a my own frenzy.
--Wayland Flowers

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #69 on: November 19, 2004, 11:12:21 AM »

He's baaaaaaaack!  I've been hither and yawn since 8 this morning and I just started the laundry.  Where the hell is the Glamorous Life.  I'm enjoying WRITER'S BLOCK  quite a lot, although Dear Friend BK threw me for a loop right smack in the middle and I don't know where it will lead.  Hmmm . . .

DRRLP, thank you for the chaming poem. ;D

Cy Coleman's death is very sad.  I was at the same concert with DRGinny, and he was adorable about helping her with a ticket for I LOVE MY WIFE.  It was at the reception after the concert, and he was the epitome of graciousness and charm.  He may have been exhausted, but he was knd to everyone there.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #70 on: November 19, 2004, 11:13:45 AM »

What do you mean, "Who is Alexander Rozhenko?"?

What I mean is, who the hell is Alexander Rozhenko?  Why is he saying those mean things about mice?
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #71 on: November 19, 2004, 11:15:33 AM »

Now I have to put down BUS AND TRUCK and listen to Cy.  I think WILDCAT, just for "Tall Hope" and "What Takes My Fancy."  And Robert Ginzler's fabulous orchestrations.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #72 on: November 19, 2004, 11:23:17 AM »

One more discount code for DEEPDISCOUNTDVD in case you want to place that third order....hehehe

NYTIMES
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #73 on: November 19, 2004, 11:27:11 AM »

I don't understand the mouse question.

Lovely Cy Coleman stories.  EBAY has a few Cy Coleman Trio albums....

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #74 on: November 19, 2004, 11:30:07 AM »

[size=8][move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]The happiest of birthdays to you, Dear Reader Jason!!![/move][/size]
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #75 on: November 19, 2004, 11:51:32 AM »

DRJAY - I now have the lovely Allison house photos in a frame next to the lovely photos of her home in Orange County and the lovely photos of her present abode at Holy Cross!

Just got my DVD of CALL ME MADAM - any opinions from DR's on the Krueger commentary?

Jennifer

« Reply #76 on: November 19, 2004, 11:52:49 AM »

Question for all you guys placing orders with deepdiscount.  Why do you all need to place 2 or 3 orders?  If it's for 20% off, how come you can't just place one big order?

I'm confused. :)

Jennifer

« Reply #77 on: November 19, 2004, 11:54:29 AM »

***APPRENTICE SPOILER FROM LAST NIGHT ***

The best line of the night was Wes sitting beside Maria at the end saying, "geez I at least wanted my own cab."

:)

Ben

« Reply #78 on: November 19, 2004, 11:58:33 AM »

Thanks to Google:

"Another entry was on the meaning of the curious nonsense riddle Why is a mouse when he spins? and its even sillier answer, The higher, the fewer. This was one of my father's favorites. The most interesting answer was that it is not altogether nonsense - properly it should go How is a mouse when it spins? - The higher, the fewer. And the meaning had to do with the centrifugal governor on an old steam engine - the weight was called the mouse, and as the engine rpm increased the mouse would rise due to centrifugal force. But as the mouse rose, the arm would force the steam valve in the more closed direction, thus reducing the rpm, that is, the higher (the mouse), the fewer (rpms). So for a given setting of the mouse on the arm, the engine would run at a constant speed."
« Last Edit: November 19, 2004, 11:59:16 AM by Ben »

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #79 on: November 19, 2004, 12:07:44 PM »

Thanks to Google:

"Another entry was on the meaning of the curious nonsense riddle Why is a mouse when he spins? and its even sillier answer, The higher, the fewer. This was one of my father's favorites. The most interesting answer was that it is not altogether nonsense - properly it should go How is a mouse when it spins? - The higher, the fewer. And the meaning had to do with the centrifugal governor on an old steam engine - the weight was called the mouse, and as the engine rpm increased the mouse would rise due to centrifugal force. But as the mouse rose, the arm would force the steam valve in the more closed direction, thus reducing the rpm, that is, the higher (the mouse), the fewer (rpms). So for a given setting of the mouse on the arm, the engine would run at a constant speed."

Thank you, Ben.   :-* :-* :-*

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #80 on: November 19, 2004, 12:14:21 PM »

The best line of the night was Wes sitting beside Maria at the end saying, "geez I at least wanted my own cab."

:)

DRJennifer, as soon as I saw they had to get into the same cab, I thought "I bet they throttle each other!"  I love this show.

Has anyone ever watched PASSIONS the stupidest show on afternoon tv?  I caught a bit of it today, and the title should change to "Sniveling, Whining."

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #81 on: November 19, 2004, 12:15:06 PM »

HAPPY BIRTHDAY JASON!!  

HAVE A WONDERFUL DAY!

Jane

« Reply #82 on: November 19, 2004, 12:16:12 PM »

I'm reading the new Bankhead and Margot Fonteyn bios simultaneously, so now I want to see Talullah in THE SLEEPING BEAUTY and Fonteyn in LIFEBOAT.

;D

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #83 on: November 19, 2004, 12:28:49 PM »

Favorite Cy Coleman songs? How about Here's To Us?

There are so many wonderful songs. Others that immediately come to mind:

We Had A Dream
Where Am I Going?
I'm Way Ahead
Our Private World

BK, Thanks for sharing those wonderful stories.

About four years ago I was in New York and went to hear Lillias White sing at Arcie's Place. I arrived as Cy Coleman was leaving the first show. Between shows he sat in the lounge while I listened to him sing Lillias's praises to friends and strangers. It was Lillias's evening, and Cy Coleman brought every conversation back to her. It was nice but not surprising to see him go back for her second show.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2004, 12:32:14 PM by Dan-in-Toronto »

Jane

« Reply #84 on: November 19, 2004, 12:34:26 PM »

Matt H. Tuesday I wasn’t able to get here Tuesday until the afternoon, after a very hectic day.  I figured I was likely speed reading and missed your suggestion to record HOUSE.  I have noticed I enjoy and watch a number of the same shows you do so I would have recorded HOUSE if I had seen it.  Just out of curiosity I checked your posts to see what I missed-and I still can’t find it.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #85 on: November 19, 2004, 12:36:17 PM »

Well DRJENNIFER - at first I thought of just a few DVD's I wanted so I ordered...then I thought of some more.  

Then DRMBARNUM mentioned some more.  

Jane

« Reply #86 on: November 19, 2004, 12:36:39 PM »

François thanks for the Castle link.

I like my marbled halvah cold and without nuts.  Eating too much halvah also makes me sick-if only I didn't make such a pig of myself, the problem is stopping it is soo good.

DtM which MY MAN GODFRY?  I prefer the David Niven & June Allyson, 1957 remake.  I suspect I’m in the minority on this.

Noel on four legs: LOL

RLP cute ditty to elmore
GREAT therapy-at first I thought wonderful then decided you were being sarcastic-hope it was both.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #87 on: November 19, 2004, 12:42:05 PM »

I threw elmore for a loop, excellent.  The loop will lead you, do not worry.

td

• td
« Reply #88 on: November 19, 2004, 12:43:23 PM »

I watch PASSIONS when I can, it's the silliest most entertaining thing on NBC!  But now that we have that unseemly angle to speak about, there's a certain seriousness invading Harmony.  It's not always easy to tread that line between offensive and entertainment value, but, a good deal of the time PASSIONS gets its right.  Poor Chad.  Poor Whitney.  I still believe that if PASSIONS had more talented actors, like Juliet Mills and Kathleen Noone, rather than the bottom of the casting pool, things would be even more entertaining in Harmony.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY JASON!

Very sad about Mr. Coleman, I LOVE MY WIFE was one of the earliest Broadway shows which I saw - and gawd, was James Naughton young then, too!
Like Noel, my favorite Cy Coleman song is "I Walk a Little Faster."

MEDIA CHECK:
cd players:  Bobby Darin sings Ray Charles, Dusty in Memphis, BUS AND TRUCK, Maureen McGovern sings Gershwin, Dionne Warwick:  My Favorite Time of the Year.
dvd:  TENEBRE (really liked this one, and didn't guess the murderer's identity), MICHAEL BALL LIVE AT THE ROYAL ALBERT HALL.
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

Jane

« Reply #89 on: November 19, 2004, 12:49:12 PM »

Interesting stories on Cy Coleman.  When someone special is lost the stories keep them alive.

WITCHCRAFT
THE BEST IS YET TO COME

“Mr. Coleman's musical education began early. Born Seymour Kaufman on June 14, 1929, the son of Russian immigrants, Max and Ida Kaufman, he was raised in a Bronx apartment house owned by his mother. As he later told it, one of the tenants moved out and left a piano behind. The Kaufmans made the piano their own and soon their 4-year-old son made it his. The boy was good enough to attract the attention of the building's milkman, who in turn mentioned the prodigy to his own son's piano teacher. The teacher was impressed and offered classical lessons, with the result that young Coleman (he was still Kaufman then) made his Carnegie Hall debut at age 7.”
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8   Go Up