Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: GOBBLE-GOBBLE  (Read 19953 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
GOBBLE-GOBBLE
« on: November 24, 2004, 12:02:29 AM »

Well, you've read the notes, you've gobbled the notes up, or rather pre-gobbled the notes up, and now it is time to post until the pre-gobbly cows come home.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2004, 12:21:10 AM by bk »

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
Re:GOBBLE-GOBBLE
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2004, 12:55:32 AM »

Yesterday afternoon, der B and I indulged ourselves and went to see the new Jerry Bruckheimer/Nick Cage film, National Treasure.  We'd agreed that it would probably be better seen on a large screen, and as usual it was nice to be right.

It's a piece of fluff, of course, with Sean Bean as a suave villian opposite Cage's ernest good guy.  John Voight is nicely cast as Cage's dad, Harvey Keitel does right with the FBI role, and Diane Kruger and Justin Bartha round out the leads.  There are lots of set pieces, including the obligatory car chase, the obligatory Mission: Impossible break-in, the obligatory entering-the-ancient-secret-hiding-place.  And there was the obligatory Jerry Bruckheimer music, sort of like what can be heard on Iron Chef but even more so.

But it's all good fluff.  Most of the film is set along the northeastern seaboard, from Washington (yep, that's the National Archives, inside and out) to Philadelphia (yep, that's Reading Terminal Market, with one of my favorite book stores in the background) to NYC (yep, there's...no, I've only walked past Trinity Church, never been in it).  Will the film earn Cage another Oscar?  Of course not.  But it solidifies his reputation as one of his generation's acting chameleons, gracefully moving from serious films to audience pleasers, from character to very different character, sort of like a male Merle Streep or a goofier Tom Hanks.

So go, have a good time at the matinee.  And it's PG, so you can take those neices and nephews, if you want.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2004, 04:24:50 AM »

THE FAN - for some reason, I liked the book, and was very disappointed in the movie, but then I only saw it chopped up on television - but the ending was changed drastically!

I love to discover albums and then find them on CD!  And that WSS jazz album is one that was used in my dance class MANY years ago....we did some routines to it ....it is exciting!

My question for ASK BK day - and I remembered it from Monday - who is the BEST director you worked with (so far) in your TV acting career, and did you realize it at the time?

Yes, my Amazon review was up INSTANTLY and my corrections/edits were up almost as fast!

Going to read DRMS review right now.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Ben

« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2004, 04:32:57 AM »

One post to accompany the notes. Oh, my.

Well, I have been errant and truant myself. I am tying up loose ends at work before vacation (and first Turkey Day).

We are having guests for Thanksgiving. Friends we met in Key West in 2003 and then spent time with in England over Christmas are arriving today and will be coming to Long Island for an "American" Thanksgiving (whatever that is). Anthony is on the Island already, helping his mother prepare for the big even and I will meet our friends tomorrow late morning after they watch a bit of the Macy's Parade live on the streets of New York. We will then brave the hordes of people and take the LIRR (that's Long Island Rail Road to those of you outside of New York) to Ronkonkama (and they say that Coon Rapids is a funny name) where we will stuff ourselves with turkey, green bean casserole, yams (I LOVE yams), a pre-meal antipasto, 3 different pies and ice cream. They will get to see Anthony's world-famous doll house as well.

I'm here at the office for half a day then it's home to do laundry, run to Penn Station to get my ticket for tomorrow and do sundried last minute chores. We will be on Long Island until Sunday because Anthony has two, count 'em, two Baxter shows on Saturday. Sorry I can't join you TD and Larry. I will be there in spirit. TD, I told them to expect you at Footlight. If you didn't get to Academy last time, try again this time. It's at 18th Street between 5th and 6th Avenues in the middle of the block on the south side of the street. Just a couple of doors away from that is the re-opened children's book store, Books of Wonder. They have moved into a bigger space and have re-opened with a Cupcake Cafe as part of the set up. Yummm. Right now Cupcake isn't up and running (they're still working on the space) but every day until they open the Cafe puts out free cake and cupcakes and pie, so walk by and grab a goodie from Cupcake while you're looking for CDs.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2004, 04:33:05 AM »

Nice review DRMS!

Michael

« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2004, 05:19:04 AM »

A couple of things about The Fan.

Once of the songs: "Hearsts, Not Diamonds by Hamlisch and Rice was actually nominated!!!!.........for the worst song of the year at the Razzies!

The film was basically a slasher film dressed up with so called respectability with actors like Lauren Bacall, James Garner, Maureen Stapelton, Hector Elizondo.

Some future well know actors were also in it:

Terrence Mann, Dwight Schultz Anna Maria Horsford, Dana Delany and Liz Smith

The late Reed Jones played the choreographer was one of the original cast members of Cats.

SPOILER ALERT RE: THe ending of the film vs the book

They actually film the ending of the book where the Lauren Bacall dies allowing herself to be murder by the fan. However the preview audiences hated that and it was refilmed where she kills the fan and walks away up the aisle of the theater. If you look closely it is not Lauren Bacall who is walking up the theater aisle but a double and it is taken from the back so that you do not see the face. Also ultimately where the fan gets the knife is ultimately not possible considering what happened seconds before.
Never stop dreaming.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2004, 05:34:48 AM »

I know we can't gobble-gobble, but can we Gobel-Gobel, as in George "Well I'll be a dirty bird" Gobel?
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2004, 06:17:19 AM »

My favorite parts were the rehearsals and performance of the “songs” in the musical Bacall was doing. If there are stupider songs please point me to them.

I haven't seen The Fan, so I don't know how this compares. But I thought "Otto Titsling" from Beaches (lyrics by Bette Middler) was pretty stupid.

td

• td
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2004, 06:17:48 AM »

DR Ben, we will miss you!
Academy is one of our scheduled stops on Friday once we get in and settled!  I had a ball there with DR MDS, and if you're shopping on a budget, Academy is a great place to go!
I packed last night so that I would be sure to travel light.
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2004, 06:33:48 AM »

Good morning, all!  Well, I slept late this morning, and I'd guess it's because of not sleeping well in an unfamiliar hotel bed.  I'm always neurotic, but moreso when I travel.  I'm waiting right now to call the Post Office so I can walk over and collect two days worth of mail.

DRBen, I'll miss seeing you this weekend.

DRtd, do I have your hotel phone number?  I may want to meet you at Academy on Friday afternoon, if that's when you're going.  We need to plan schedule for Friday.  I need to be at the recording office on Saturday until around 1:00.

Dear Friend BK, what is your planned itenerary while you're in NYC?  Besides the reading, are you planning to see anything?
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

MBarnum

« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2004, 07:32:53 AM »

I can't recall who on the board was a fan of THE WACKY RACES, but DVDVerdict.com has a good review of the DVD set....hmmmm...might be worth getting after all! Nice extras.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2004, 07:42:45 AM »

I can't recall who on the board was a fan of THE WACKY RACES, but DVDVerdict.com has a good review of the DVD set....hmmmm...might be worth getting after all! Nice extras.

That might have been me, DR MB.  In any case, I think I will put this one on my Christmas list now.

Also, check out this item on eBay.  I was going to put in a bid, but I thought it too pricey in the end (but then, I'm cheap that way.)
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2004, 07:48:29 AM »

Good Morning!

...And then the rains came... UGH!  All I can say is that it better clear up tomorrow like the weathermen and weatherwomen on TV have promised.  I slept well last night, but I'll most likely end up taking a nap - planned, but most likely unplanned - sometime this afternoon.  Just seems to be the kind of day to hide under the comforter for an hour or two.
Make Your Own Luck.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2004, 07:49:05 AM »

Is that Penelope Pitstop?

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2004, 08:05:00 AM »

DRMS - I seem to remember the controversy over THE FAN ending and the re-shooting.  Hmmmmmmm......do I want to buy this DVD?

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #15 on: November 24, 2004, 08:06:06 AM »

DR Jrand, have you ever viewed the Lucy In London clip on TVParty.com?  Lucy goes Mod and does the Twiggy thing!
-- Anaïs Nin

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #16 on: November 24, 2004, 08:06:26 AM »

Rainy here today as well...to the extreme....and some snow predicted for tonight.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #17 on: November 24, 2004, 08:11:06 AM »

I hope DR td has a lovely sojourn in NYC. I know he's been tlooking forward to this for quite some time.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #18 on: November 24, 2004, 08:14:30 AM »

Some notes on THE FAN:

It was the movie that introduced Michael Biehn to movie audiences. I was instantly attracted to him, despite the lurid, slasher mentality of this film, despite the big stars.

Sorry, I don't care if it did get nominated for a Razzie. I like "Hearts, not Diamonds." Not the way Bacall sings it, of course, since her foghorn voice doesn't ever do any ballad justice, but I'd love to hear a real singer like Debbie Gravitte handle it. (And how ludicrous for an audience to stand in exultation after Bacall's awful rendition.)

Jennifer

« Reply #19 on: November 24, 2004, 08:18:54 AM »

DR Jane, I would have offered to tape you the movie.  But I only read your request AFTER 10pm last night (which is when it was on here).  Plus I don't have a dvd recorder.

DR George, I LOVED that fairy from last night.  Really beautiful.

Question for DRs:  I wanted to copy that fairy and send it to someone.  What would be the simplest way.  I ended up copying the pic to a disk and then attaching it to my email.  But there must have been an easier way to click and copy, right?

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #20 on: November 24, 2004, 08:18:55 AM »

A SEASONAL LEVITY

A young man named John received a parrot as a gift.
The parrot had a bad attitude and an even worse vocabulary.
Every word out of the bird's mouth was rude, obnoxious and
laced with profanity.

John tried and tried to change the bird's attitude
by consistently saying only polite words, playing soft music and
anything else he could think of to "clean up" the bird's vocabulary.

Finally, John was fed up and he yelled at the
parrot. The parrot yelled back. John shook the parrot and the parrot
got angrier and even ruder. In desperation, John threw up his
hands, grabbed the f@$ing bird and put him in the freezer.

For a few minutes the parrot squawked and kicked
and screamed. Then suddenly there was total quiet. Not a peep was
heard for over a minute. Fearing that he'd hurt the parrot, John quickly
opened the door to the freezer.

The parrot calmly stepped out onto John's
outstretched arm and said, "I believe I may have offended you with my
rude language and actions. I'm sincerely remorseful for my inappropriate transgressions and I fully intend to do everything I can to correct my rude and unforgivable behavior."

John was stunned at the change in the bird's attitude. As he was
about to ask the parrot what had made such a dramatic change
in his behavior, when the bird continued, "May I ask what the turkey did?"

HAPPY THANKSGIVING

der Brucer

We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #21 on: November 24, 2004, 08:19:35 AM »

If anyone is the mood for a good cry, and if the show has yet to air in your area, today's "Ellen DeGeneres" show is her Thanksgiving show.  More like a Giving Thanks show.  It's dedicated to all the troops serving over in the Middle East.  It's only been on for 20 minutes so far, and I've cried twice!
Make Your Own Luck.

Jennifer

« Reply #22 on: November 24, 2004, 08:23:17 AM »

Oh my book arrived on Monday!  But I haven't decided whether to start it right away or finish a library book I have that is due this week.  Decisions, decisions!

Matt H.

« Reply #23 on: November 24, 2004, 08:34:10 AM »

Ellen's show comes on here at 3 p.m., so if I'm not finishing up WALK ON THE WILD SIDE and remember to do it, I'll switch over and catch it. I saw in the newspaper listings this morning that Tom Hanks is also a guest, ad I know how much fighting soldiers/veterans mean to him.

Noel

• Husband (10th year), father and songwriter
    • Musings on musicals
« Reply #24 on: November 24, 2004, 08:41:09 AM »

Oh my book arrived on Monday!  But I haven't decided whether to start it right away or finish a library book I have that is due this week.  Decisions, decisions!

You think your decision is tough?  You see, I've got this wobbly table...
In this family, when words won't do, there's gotta be a song.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #25 on: November 24, 2004, 08:50:02 AM »

DRJENNIFER you can click and save it to a file on your hard drive.

But I usually do it as you did, save it to a disk, then I can just delete it when I am done.

Sometimes depending on your browser, when you right click you have the option of "Send Image" and when you click that - am email box comes up with the file already attached.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #26 on: November 24, 2004, 08:53:33 AM »

You think your decision is tough?  You see, I've got this wobbly table...

DR Noel - Go to Starbucks - I'm sure there's one near you.  Go the little "bar" where they have the cream, half&half, milk, cinnamon, nutmeg, cocoa, etc.  Grab a handful of sugar packets - I think the "Sugar in the Raw" ones are the biggest ones.  Walk out of said Starbucks back to your abode.  Place required amount of sugar packets underneath the requisite leg of your table.  And if you're concerned about the sugar packets opening, just place them in a plastic baggie, and/or in the padded envelope that "Writer's Block" came in.

:D
Make Your Own Luck.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #27 on: November 24, 2004, 08:55:49 AM »

Hmmmmmmmmm....Penny Marshall was just on some Entertainment show and was asked about her concern over the recent basketball violence.  She said:  "It's not the people in the expensive courtside seats that are causing the problems....it's those people up in the other seats....."

At least that sounded like what she said in her unintelligible nasal twang.
Pretty high falootin' talk from a gal who used to work in a brewery - which she was lucky her brother owned.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #28 on: November 24, 2004, 08:56:59 AM »

DRNOEL maybe you could put your right foot under the table leg.

William F. Orr

• Jeeper Creepers!
« Reply #29 on: November 24, 2004, 08:59:03 AM »

I'm sure you have a musical score or two that would just fit and would find better application there than elsewhere.  :-)

Not a score by Noel Katz, I hasten to add.
"Champagne to my real friends, and real pain to my sham friends!"
--Wayland Flowers
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Up