Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: TODAY IS THE FIRST DAY OF THE REST OF THE WEEK  (Read 25658 times)

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
Re:TODAY IS THE FIRST DAY OF THE REST OF THE WEEK
« Reply #30 on: November 28, 2004, 07:11:20 AM »

I want to go ahead and put up my WIZARD OF OZ Christmas tree, but it's probably too early, isn't it? Not even December yet.

When do other DRs put up your trees, if, in fact, you put up one at all? I didn't for many years, but this little table top tree is a snap to put up.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #31 on: November 28, 2004, 07:13:12 AM »

I suppose I'll get around to seeing GHOST today while my laundry is in the dryer. I got some of those discounted DVDs from Deep Discount yesterday, but didn't have time to open the box being involved in other projects around the house.

Danise

« Reply #32 on: November 28, 2004, 07:16:30 AM »

Thanksgiving weekend is the time we always started decorating the house and putting up the tree.  

You've seen the kind of trees I had when I was growing up but now that there is just Mom and myself, we just put up a little fake tree.  

I don't know if we are going to bother with a tree or not this year.  We never turned the lights on after I put it up last year.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2004, 07:17:37 AM by Danise »
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #33 on: November 28, 2004, 07:18:50 AM »

Elmore, I have a question for you.  Do you ever use computer programs for your work?   I bought Finale PrintMusic and have been trying to get it to work.  I remember I bought it because it said you could scan music into the program and then work with it, like change the key, etc. but it's a lot harder to use than I thought it would be.

DRDanise, I'm a computer illiterate with Finale.  I have friends who are virtuosos with it, but I can't think music and a computer screen. I need a shhet of staved paper and a sharp pencil.  I must say I admire your ambitions with it.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #34 on: November 28, 2004, 07:19:59 AM »

I want to go ahead and put up my WIZARD OF OZ Christmas tree, but it's probably too early, isn't it? Not even December yet.

When do other DRs put up your trees, if, in fact, you put up one at all? I didn't for many years, but this little table top tree is a snap to put up.

My memory is that my Mother started decorating for Christmas as soon as Thanksgiving was a day old.  In Philmont, New York, many people have their Christmas decorations up by Thanksgiving!
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

PennyO

• Ah, if I knew then what I know now...
    • Penny Orloff
« Reply #35 on: November 28, 2004, 07:25:19 AM »

Mornin' chilluns. I'm packing to fly back to NYC today - hope to see y'all at BK's signing on Dec. 6th. Do we have plans to eat together??

What's happening in LA this week? Well, there was Thanksgiving. And too much tsurris to go into. anyhow, there will be more on Dec. 8, when I'm back again...

What's the weather in NY today, Elmore? See yas soon...
PennyO

PennyO

• Penny Orloff
« Reply #36 on: November 28, 2004, 07:26:57 AM »

This week in NY - Penny puts together a mailing, and hires a press rep for JEWISH THIGHS ON BROADWAY! And heads to bk's book partay. y'all know about musicians and free food...
PennyO

Danise

« Reply #37 on: November 28, 2004, 07:27:16 AM »

Well, I guess it would be a bit easier if I knew how to read music!  LOL.  I found another program on E-bay that said it teaches music the way the Navy teaches their band members to.  I was thinking about getting it

I'm looking over the sheet music I bought of Some Sunday Morning.  I don't know how you or DR Jose or DR Noel manage to read everything and play it.  It all looks Greek to me!
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #38 on: November 28, 2004, 07:29:46 AM »

Mornin' chilluns. I'm packing to fly back to NYC today - hope to see y'all at BK's signing on Dec. 6th. Do we have plans to eat together??

What's happening in LA this week? Well, there was Thanksgiving. And too much tsurris to go into. anyhow, there will be more on Dec. 8, when I'm back again...

What's the weather in NY today, Elmore? See yas soon...

DRPennyO, the weather is rainy, dark and damp!  Really awful.  Have a safe flight in.  I've mislaid your phone number, which is why you haven't heard from me.  I miss you at Arties!

I'm taking care of Joe allen's after the reading.   Can I get a tally on how many DRs are planning on coming to Joe Allen's?

PennyO

• Penny Orloff
« Reply #39 on: November 28, 2004, 07:31:24 AM »

Oh - while I'm here... I'm still looking for a sublet for Jan-Apr. I'm telling everyone - please look out for a nice sublet for a nice Jewish girl doing a nice Jewish play. Thank you all, sweeties.

Woods and Der Brucer: I wish I was eating at YOUR house when you pull those goose breasts outa the oven. I have eaten a lot of game: caribou, moose, elk, buffalo, deer, Dahl sheep, ducks, pheasant - the lighter wine and butter and herbs sauces were delish on the lighter meats, heavier sauces on the heavier beasties, like moose.
PennyO

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #40 on: November 28, 2004, 07:31:31 AM »

Well, I guess it would be a bit easier if I knew how to read music!  LOL.  I found another program on E-bay that said it teaches music the way the Navy teaches their band members to.  I was thinking about getting it

DRDanise, since the Navy Band uses enlisted professional players, I wouldn't trust any book claiming teach you Navy Band methods.

PennyO

• Penny Orloff
« Reply #41 on: November 28, 2004, 07:32:12 AM »

I'll come to Joe Allen's!
PennyO

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #42 on: November 28, 2004, 07:32:47 AM »

Woods and Der Brucer: I wish I was eating at YOUR house when you pull those goose breasts outa the oven. I have eaten a lot of game: caribou, moose, elk, buffalo, deer, Dahl sheep, ducks, pheasant - the lighter wine and butter and herbs sauces were delish on the lighter meats, heavier sauces on the heavier beasties, like moose.

Ohmigod, she's turned into Annie Oykley!

PennyO

• Penny Orloff
« Reply #43 on: November 28, 2004, 07:33:35 AM »

Okay - packing for serious now. More later.
PennyO

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #44 on: November 28, 2004, 07:42:35 AM »

DR Elmore: count der B and myself for Joe A's.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #45 on: November 28, 2004, 07:46:21 AM »

DR Elmore: count der B and myself for Joe A's.

Fab!  This is going to be a PARTAY!

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #46 on: November 28, 2004, 07:50:32 AM »

Decorating for Christmas?  When I was growing up, the outside lights would go up within a week after Thanksgiving.  It started as Dad's job, then got transferred to me.  I was much more anal about not having two of the same color bulb in sequence, with one exception being the year I put a sequence of red bulbs over our front door.  Mom didn't care for that, and made me change it.

Inside, there was the creche and other holiday decorations that would go up around the first week of December.  The tree itself wouldn't go up until about a week before the big day, because Mom didn't want it drying out too early.

Der B and I didn't bother with decorating back in Long Beach.  Last year, our first here in Rehoboth Beach, we finally decided to get a tree on the chance that the grandlads would come down to visit and wonder where our tree might be.  They didn't visit.  That, and we learned the hard way that having decorations too close to the floor wasn't very wise in a dog-inhabited house.

This year, if we get a tree at all, it will go up in the den, not the living room, because the dogs love having the living room window free for their street-gazing.  Outside lights are another matter.  We've got the lights, and the hooks...and a ladder that is too danged short to easily reach the roofline.  My fear of falling is going to be a real problem with getting those lights hung.

But there's always the chance I'll be able to sequence those lights above the front door....
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Noel

• Husband (10th year), father and songwriter
    • Musings on musicals
« Reply #47 on: November 28, 2004, 08:19:23 AM »

I think I shall make it to Joe Allen's.  If I go to the play-reading, I'm certainly not going to hang out there afterwards, and if the play's two hours long, I'll leave.

The version of Finale I work on is six years old.  I also have Finale 2000, but don't like it because you can't cut and paste fractions of a measure.

I'm not aware of a program in which you can scan music and change its key, but I've often wondered why there isn't such a thing.  Perhaps there is.  I've long looked forward to that brave new world future.

Unlike Jose, I don't really play what's written very much.  I just sort of make "educated guesses" and, often, nobody can tell the difference.
In this family, when words won't do, there's gotta be a song.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #48 on: November 28, 2004, 08:20:36 AM »

JRand GOOD SCRIPT VIBES!

Emily

« Reply #49 on: November 28, 2004, 08:25:34 AM »

MMMMMM... goose...

(And just for the record, just because I am pro-gun control does not make me anti-hunting!  I'm all for people understanding where their food comes from)

My sisters' neighbour is a big hunter and he invariably brings her some of the returns of his expeditions each year.  She makes goose with an orange sauce similar to this one:

Wild Goose Breasts with Orange Glaze

Submitted by: Christopher Robin Henry

"This is a great recipe for that wild bird you're not sure what to do with. Sweet and tangy at the same time."  Original recipe yield: 4 servings.

INGREDIENTS:

4 goose breasts
salt to taste
1 dash dry vermouth (optional)
1 tablespoon grated orange zest
1 orange, juiced
1 teaspoon lemon juice
1 teaspoon brown sugar
1 clove garlic, minced
1 tablespoon soy sauce
1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
1/4 teaspoon caraway seeds

DIRECTIONS:

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Rinse the breasts in cold water, and place in baking dish. Splash with vermouth, then season with salt; set aside.

In a medium bowl, combine orange zest, orange juice, lemon juice, brown sugar, garlic and soy sauce. Season with mustard and caraway. Pour glaze over breasts in baking dish.

Bake in preheated oven for 30 minutes, or until no longer pink and juices run clear. Baste at least twice during baking.  
"We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true" except at HHW of course! - Robert Wilensky

Noel

• Husband (10th year), father and songwriter
    • Musings on musicals
« Reply #50 on: November 28, 2004, 08:27:19 AM »

All this talk of breasts may lead us to get more "hits" than usual.  Now, THAT'S how you become the most popular site on the internet!
In this family, when words won't do, there's gotta be a song.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #51 on: November 28, 2004, 08:29:23 AM »

There's a Hewlett-Packard printer commercial airing at the present time:  there's a young man hanging picture frames about his neck and turning them intro photos of himself.  The background rock song is driving me mad to figure out what it is.  Is it a 70s song?  Does anyone know its name?  Thanks.

Jane

« Reply #52 on: November 28, 2004, 08:32:46 AM »

Oy, if someone showed up and gave me a dead animal they just killed I'd probably faint.

Danise and Jennifer, precisely the reason I don't eat it.

Jane

« Reply #53 on: November 28, 2004, 08:50:56 AM »

Normally the day after Thanksgiving I blast Christmas music and decorate our house for Christmas.  If I haven’t finished addressing my holiday cards I do so then.  

I have the cards and labels ready.  I also have a holiday letter typed, but not printed out, to include in the cards to friends I’m not in touch with often.  This year they are just sitting there waiting for me.  Our Echo is not well at all and this is not a happy house hold.

Matt H.

« Reply #54 on: November 28, 2004, 08:51:06 AM »

I've seen that commercial, DR elmore, but, naturally, I have no clue what song is being used. It's not from a Broadway show!

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #55 on: November 28, 2004, 08:52:47 AM »

Good Morning!

As for BK's "late night" comment about my current status as a Late Night WUSSBURGER...  I'm sure my late night denizen days will return once I'm back in "show mode".  These things come and go in phases.  Just waiting for the pendulum to start swinging the other way.  Or at least for rehearsals and performances to start up again.  Which, according to my calendar, will be commencing this coming Thursday.

And just remember, your "late night" is not as "late night" as my "late night".  And since she knows that I know that you know that she knows that I know that you know...

:-X
« Last Edit: November 28, 2004, 08:54:37 AM by JoseSPiano »
Make Your Own Luck.

Danise

« Reply #56 on: November 28, 2004, 08:53:16 AM »

I know it makes me a horrible person because I love animals so much and yet I eat them.  

I guess getting meat in prepackaged containers makes it easy to forget what that steak or chicken breast (doing my part to help with making the site get more hits, hee, hee) was part of.  
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Danise

« Reply #57 on: November 28, 2004, 08:55:53 AM »

And just remember, your "late night" is not as "late night" as my "late night".  And since she knows that I know that you know that she knows that I know that you know...

:X
DR Jose,
When I figure out what you said exactly, I’ll comment.   ;D
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #58 on: November 28, 2004, 09:08:02 AM »

There's a Hewlett-Packard printer commercial airing at the present time:  there's a young man hanging picture frames about his neck and turning them intro photos of himself.  The background rock song is driving me mad to figure out what it is.  Is it a 70s song?  Does anyone know its name?  Thanks.

DR elmore - I believe the song is "Picture Book" by The Kinks.

OH!!  Yes, it is!  Just click below:

http://www.hp.com/hpinfo/newsroom/hpads/you/photography/index.html

-And, I have to say, I think the whole series of commercials are very well done.  And the whole picture/live person/picture device amazes me.  I can't imagine how much frame-by-frame editing they had to do to get all of that to look the way it does.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #59 on: November 28, 2004, 09:11:09 AM »

DR Jose,
When I figure out what you said exactly, I’ll comment.   ;D

DR Danise - I'm not sure either...  I think I was entering sitcom mode - possibly "Gilligan's Island" or "Three's Company".
Make Your Own Luck.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Up