Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: TODAY IS THE FIRST DAY OF THE REST OF THE WEEK  (Read 25691 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
TODAY IS THE FIRST DAY OF THE REST OF THE WEEK
« on: November 28, 2004, 12:00:09 AM »

Well, you've read the notes, you've understood the profound profundity of the notes, and now it is time for you to post until the cows come profoundly home.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2004, 11:59:13 PM by bk »

Matthew

• You there, why are you so late?
Re:TODAY IS THE FIRST DAY OF THE REST OF THE WEEK
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2004, 12:15:50 AM »

bk says "I must flit about like a gazelle eating a fruit chew"

It's a bit past midnight, and I'm sleepless in Campbell, CA.  However, with the above comment from the notes, I shall lie awake wondering how the HELL a gazelle eating a fruit chew would make it flit

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2004, 01:03:20 AM »

Hello Tom and Matthew.

Panni

« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2004, 01:04:11 AM »

...and Ann.

Panni

« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2004, 01:06:44 AM »

I've been on the phone with some Indian gentlemen at AOL for the past hour (it was actually the ghost of Peter Sellers). They were totally unhelpful and seemed not to react at all when I was truly livid. At one point one of the Peters told me that I was not seeing what I was seeing on my screen. I asked him if he thought I was blind - but this made no impact on him whatsoever,

Panni

« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2004, 01:07:44 AM »

I guess no one is really there...

Panni

« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2004, 01:08:20 AM »

In that case, good night.

Ann

• Cake or Death?
    • My LiveJournal
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2004, 01:14:22 AM »

Hello late night people...

I just finished Eternal Sunshine.  I liked it.  I'm now eating a bagel.  I like it too.  

Tomovoz

« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2004, 01:14:55 AM »

Correct: no-one is really here. The AOL men have it right. You are not seeing anyone here or there. Keep taking the medication DR Panni
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Tomovoz

« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2004, 01:15:53 AM »

Anything would look good after "The Stepford Wives"!!
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2004, 05:06:17 AM »

Good morning, all!  I wanted to sleep late this morning, and my body insisted that 7:45 am was time to haul my butt out of bed.  So, I'm waiting for coffee and trying to program my day.

I will wander back later with some free-for-all thoughts.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Michael

« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2004, 05:57:19 AM »

Question for BK:

How can you use living real people (calling them by name) in a fictional situation (An event that never really happened) without getting your butt sued off?
Never stop dreaming.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2004, 06:20:08 AM »

Der Brucer's son in law, who hunts, presented us with a large baggie filled with goose breasts.  Not duck breasts, but breasts of goose.  Ten goose breasts, hopefully cleaned of all buckshot but the s.i.l. wasn't making any promises.

I now have to figure out how to cook goose breasts.  They appear to be a very lean meat, and what I've read is that they have a marvelous gamebird flavor when cooked correctly.  Cooked correctly means cooked rare, or at the very most medium rare.  Beyond that they become tough and inedible, unless they're slow-cooked to the consistency of mush, in which case why bother.

The most likely way I'll cook them is to sear them, then roast them in the oven until done (rare).

I have no idea how to sauce them, of course.  Nor do I have any idea what I should serve with them.

Here's a question for the DRs in general: when you've been served game, of any kind, what did you think of it?  And how was it prepared?
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Danise

« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2004, 06:29:19 AM »

Good morning all!

TCB, I'm so glad your opening night went so well!  I just wish I could have been there to see it.  

Before I start on what I wanted to say I looked in my cyber cookbooks and came up with the following:

Hope this helps:

Goose in Cream Sauce

Breast meat from 1 goose, cut in bite
   size cubes
3/4 c. flour (approximately)
4 tbsp. butter or margarine, divided
12 oz. fresh mushrooms, sliced
1 sm. onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 1/2 c. beef stock, canned or made
   from bouillon
1 c. sour cream
1/8 c. white Zinfandel wine

Toss meat cubes in enough flour to coat.  Heat 2 tablespoons butter in saucepan on medium heat.  Add meat cubes and brown on all sides.  Add the mushrooms, onion, and garlic.  Cook until the mushrooms are soft and the meat is cooked through, but not well done, about 10 minutes. Remove the meat and mushroom mix, lower the heat, and add 2 tablespoons butter.  Pour in approximately 1/2 cup beef stock and stir to mix with the pan drippings.  Add 2 tablespoons of flour to thicken the sauce and whisk well.  After sauce has thickened, add the rest of the beef stock, blend well, and add sour cream and wine.  Mix thoroughly, then return meat mixture to pan and heat through.  Serve over noodles or rice.

It sounds good-don't you think?
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2004, 06:29:28 AM »

Answering my own question, I've had a ragu of hart.  No, not the Hart that Rodgers played with, but hart as in deer.  It was quite tasty.

Der B has eaten bear, at a restaurant in Philly called Jack's Firehouse.  He enjoyed it.  (I was more conservative that night, dining on farm-raised buffalo.)  I recall that his bear was glazed with apple cider, which in the taste I had was very interesting.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Danise

« Reply #15 on: November 28, 2004, 06:32:18 AM »

Here is another one:

Stewed Wild Goose

1/2 c. onion
1/2 c. celery
1 c. water
2 bouillon cubes
1/4 c. soy sauce
1/2 tsp. thyme
6 med. potatoes, quartered
1 goose

Skin out goose and remove breast portions.  I only use breast.  Cut meat into bite size pieces.  Place goose and first 6 ingredients into slow cooker and cook 2 hours.  Add potatoes and cook another 1 1/2 hours.  Thicken with cornstarch.  
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Danise

« Reply #16 on: November 28, 2004, 06:34:15 AM »

One last one:

Goose Breast

1 goose breast
4 stalks celery (chopped)
2 med. onions (chopped)
6 cloves garlic (chopped)

Cover bottom of pan with grease.  Slice goose breast into 1 inch strips and brown.  Remove goose from pan and add celery, onion and garlic and cook until all are soft.  Put goose strips back into pan on top of celery, onion and garlic.  Add just enough water to cover.  Let simmer until tender enough to cut with a fork (about 3-4 hours).  

I've never had any wild game so I can't help you with that.  
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #17 on: November 28, 2004, 06:34:18 AM »

Thank-you, Danise!  That sauce does sound good.  I'd be more inclined to use a drier white wine over the white Zin, but that's my taste in wine coming through.  (Or I'd use a red wine, which would balance with the beef stock.  Have to think about this one...)

I notice that the meat is to be "cooked through, but not well done."  That matches what I was reading earlier, so I think I'll give this recipe a try.  Again, thanks!   :-*

Danise

« Reply #18 on: November 28, 2004, 06:39:23 AM »

Aww heck, I've found at least 3 or 4 more goose breast receipes.  If you want them, let me know.   I think I have your e-mail address but to be sure, if you do want them, PM me with it and I'll send them to you or I can PM them to you.  Does that make sense?

Touch Magic, Pass it on!

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #19 on: November 28, 2004, 06:41:42 AM »

Thank-you, Danise!  That sauce does sound good.  I'd be more inclined to use a drier white wine over the white Zin, but that's my taste in wine coming through.  (Or I'd use a red wine, which would balance with the beef stock.  Have to think about this one...)

I notice that the meat is to be "cooked through, but not well done."  That matches what I was reading earlier, so I think I'll give this recipe a try.  Again, thanks!   :-*

DRSWW, in Lebanon, Ohio, not far from my home, is a fantastic restaurant, The Golden Lamb.  They're famous for serving game in season.  You might look them up on the web and see if there are any ideas there.  My only memory of game is having pheasant as a child, which I really liked.  Beyond that, good luck, but I think DRDanise has been amazing this morning!
« Last Edit: November 28, 2004, 06:42:27 AM by elmore3003 »
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Danise

« Reply #20 on: November 28, 2004, 06:43:17 AM »

Your more than welcome!  I doubt I would ever have cause to use those receipes myself but I'm glad the "book" had them for you!

Touch Magic, Pass it on!

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #21 on: November 28, 2004, 06:47:24 AM »

Well, I just checked The Golden Lamb site, and found nothing on their wild game menu.  I'm lousy on the web, so maybe someone else will have better luck.

Jennifer

« Reply #22 on: November 28, 2004, 06:47:53 AM »

Can someone give me the link for the Writer's Block website.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #23 on: November 28, 2004, 06:48:41 AM »

Answering my own question, I've had a ragu of hart.  No, not the Hart that Rodgers played with, but hart as in deer.  It was quite tasty.

Nobody's hart belongs to me.

Jennifer

« Reply #24 on: November 28, 2004, 06:51:08 AM »

Nevermind, I found it by clicking on the Kritzer books icon.  I knew it was something like writersblockwebsite, but when I tried to do a search on it, I had no luck. :(

Jennifer

« Reply #25 on: November 28, 2004, 06:56:00 AM »

Oy, if someone showed up and gave me a dead animal they just killed I'd probably faint.

Danise

« Reply #26 on: November 28, 2004, 07:03:09 AM »

I know how you feel, Jennifer.  I don't know what I would do either.  Meat comes from the grocery store in neat little packages.  

Just so you know, those recipes came off of East Chef’s One Million of the Worlds Best Receipes.  I bought it at Walmart near where the Microwaves are sold.  

I remember thinking, “One million recipes should just about cover everything!”  I guess I was right.

Jrand, did you read the book, COLOSSUS THE FORBIN PROJECT?  I seem to remember there being a sequel book as well or I might be a little mixed up because sometimes the books are so different from the movies.  

Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Michael

« Reply #27 on: November 28, 2004, 07:08:09 AM »

Never stop dreaming.

Danise

« Reply #28 on: November 28, 2004, 07:09:28 AM »

Elmore, I have a question for you.  Do you ever use computer programs for your work?   I bought Finale PrintMusic and have been trying to get it to work.  I remember I bought it because it said you could scan music into the program and then work with it, like change the key, etc. but it's a lot harder to use than I thought it would be.
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #29 on: November 28, 2004, 07:09:55 AM »

I've had that Betty Hutton SATINS 'N SPURS for several months. I'm very glad to have it since the LP was one of the biggest costing collector's items for a long time. The score, I thought, was an almost total washout, but Betty's always in there giving it her all, and the Capitol singles bonus items are great!
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Up