Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: TODAY IS THE FIRST DAY OF THE REST OF THE WEEK  (Read 25647 times)

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
Re:TODAY IS THE FIRST DAY OF THE REST OF THE WEEK
« Reply #60 on: November 28, 2004, 09:17:54 AM »

Good Morning!

YIPPEE!!  The sun is out today!  And since I actually was up before Noon today, I may get to enjoy a few more hours of it than I normally would. ;)

I've already had breakfast - same as my dinner last night, roast beef hash and eggs.  And then I had some tea - and just to show the influence this site has one my daily life, I had some White Tea.  Very soothing.  And a nice beverage on a bright and brisk morning.

DR Noel - I can bring up a few packets of the stuff to NYC next weekend if you'd like.  -I don't want your antioxidant levels to run low.  ;)

So... I'm gonna head out for a walk in a bit, then come back here and do some more cleaning, then get ready for my massage!  YIPPEE!
Make Your Own Luck.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #61 on: November 28, 2004, 09:23:18 AM »

Question for BK:

How can you use living real people (calling them by name) in a fictional situation (An event that never really happened) without getting your butt sued off?

It's done all the time - from Ragtime, to Stuart Kaminsky's series of Hollywood murder mysteries.  No prob at all.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #62 on: November 28, 2004, 09:25:15 AM »

This is so weird, 9:20 on a Sunday morning the doorbell rings and it is the guy to finish the drywall work.  You think he would have called first. :o

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #63 on: November 28, 2004, 09:25:38 AM »

DRJose, thanks for your help with the song info.  Are you coming to Joe allen's after the reading?

I just watched the 1957 Producer's Showcase of CINDERELLA with Margot Fonteyn and the Sadler's Wells (now Royal) Ballet.  I don't know why I feel Prokofiev let this ballet down after his fantastic ROMEO AND JULIET ballet, but I find the score neither magical nor romantic.  It was fun seeing two of Britain's greatest choreographers, Frederick Ashton and Kenneth MacMillan, in drag as the ugly stepsisters, and Margot Fonteyn is a perfect Cinderella.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #64 on: November 28, 2004, 09:29:38 AM »

I tell you, where else on all the Internet can you have enlightened discourse (or datcourse) on goose breasts and what to do with them?  I myself have never seen a goose breast let alone tried to cook one.  I've had my goose cooked a couple of times, however.

One of the joys of working with elmore is looking at his beautiful charts, all hand-written and purty.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #65 on: November 28, 2004, 09:39:03 AM »

RE: Finale and Music scanning software

I have both Finale and Encore.  Even though Finale is the far superior product in regards to bells and whistles, I use Encore for more of my "daily" stuff.  It's just a lot easier and faster to use.  Sometimes, I'll do the "base" work in Encore, then save it as a MIDI-file, then import the MIDI file into Finale, and then finesse from there.  I do have a trial version of Sibelius, but I have yet to open it up.

As for Music Scanning software, there are a couple of good ones out there.  My friend, Steve, uses one of them, and he gets pretty good results.  Since printed music is not all printed the same way (size, layout, etc.), there is a lot of finessing and finaigling you have to do, but once you get those settings set, the output looks pretty good.  It's not perfect - you still have to edit things - and sometimes it's a little "too accurate", but it's a great timesaver if you have to transpose whole scores and parts.  Steve uses it to make the rehearsal tapes for the Richmond Men's Chorus.  He scans the scores in, then converts the files to MIDI, then plugs that into Cakewalk, then... You get the picture.
Make Your Own Luck.

Matthew

• You there, why are you so late?
« Reply #66 on: November 28, 2004, 09:41:50 AM »

It's 9:30am and we've had no hot water since yesterday, it's not pretty.  The office doesn't open until 10:00.  Seems to me if you have a building full of people that are expecting hot water, you'd do everything you could to get the hot water up and running ASAP, even if it means working at all hours.

For music writting, I LOVE Encore, now put out by GVOX, it's simple and easy to use.  I also use Allegro, which is the middle version of the Finale family, but it doesn't work well with MAC OS X and there is no upgrade available. Also, Allegro has a scan option where you can scan music in and edit the notes.  I've never used it.  But there definately are scan programs that will scan a piece of music and convert it to a midi format, (notes, no words).

EL Eric just saw a water heater roll by, I think there's hope!

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #67 on: November 28, 2004, 09:49:09 AM »

Unlike Jose, I don't really play what's written very much.  I just sort of make "educated guesses" and, often, nobody can tell the difference.

Well, there are times when I don't really play what's written very much too.   :-\

Actually, it all depends on the style and period.  Basically, pre-1970's, I fill in the holes, so to speak.  Post-1970's, I play what's on the page.

However, I do envy your "ear" skills.  Mine are very inconsistent.  One of these days, I will do what Ellis Marsalis suggested to me when I was in college.  I just need to set aside four weeks - at least - and only play by ear and/or with lead sheets.  I need to break the "habit" of my classical upbringing basically.  I need to stop "thinking" so much when I play, and just play.

I also remember someone mentioning something along the lines of:  God gave you two hands to play.  And he gave you two ears.  Use both of them.

Then again, I'm a pretty good audition pianist.  I love sight-reading.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #68 on: November 28, 2004, 09:51:46 AM »

DRJose, thanks for your help with the song info.  Are you coming to Joe allen's after the reading?

Count me in!  -Although, after checking with the contractor at Arena, there is a chance we could be called in on the Monday for rehearsal if needed and/or requested by the conductor.  I'll know definitely by Friday a.m. which is the union-required notice period.  But...

Count me in!
Make Your Own Luck.

Matthew

• You there, why are you so late?
« Reply #69 on: November 28, 2004, 09:52:57 AM »

Who plays what's written?  :)

When I started to play shows, my classical technique pretty much went away.  I've always been able to play by ear much better than reading what's on the page.  Once I know something, it's easier to improvise.  I love to site read, also.  But we must begin teaching people not to bring Jason Robert Brown music to an audition.  If you've never taken the time to play his music, good luck site reading it.  Damn them all!

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #70 on: November 28, 2004, 09:53:23 AM »

As for game... I haven't have much either.  However, there's a crew guy at Ford's Theatre who prepares an amazing venison in barbecue sauce.  Soooo good.  Very flavorful and tender.  And his secret recipe sauce works perfectly with the venison.
Make Your Own Luck.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #71 on: November 28, 2004, 09:55:28 AM »

elmore, be sure to ask the question tomorrow, since there are certain hainsies/kimlets who aren't around for the weekend festivities, and they might miss it in the posts.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #72 on: November 28, 2004, 09:56:28 AM »

OK... I need to get out of here for a while and go for a walk.  And I think I'm gonna hit the park today - it's been a while.

-Now ain't this a lovely number of posts so far today?  And it's just 10:00AM PST!

Laters...
Make Your Own Luck.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #73 on: November 28, 2004, 09:59:26 AM »

Why are you going to hit the park?  Why must you always do violence to the park - what did the park ever do to you I'd like to know?

It's still very windy and crisp here, but the result of all the wind is that the sky is a gloriously glorious blue.

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #74 on: November 28, 2004, 10:14:34 AM »

My CD player is on the fritz, so I'm listening to cassettes as I do domestic chores. At the moment, it's Top Banana. I had forgotten about the song Nobody Loves Me Like My Dog, in which a barking pooch tries to drown out Phil Silvers. Unfortunately for Phil, another barking dog - Archie the spaniel - got into the act as soon as he heard the first one.

There are some treasures in Top Banana, and I think it would be a funny show to see. I don't know how it would play without Phil Silvers - or Rose Marie, for that matter. It seems to have been written just for them.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #75 on: November 28, 2004, 10:30:36 AM »

I tell you, where else on all the Internet can you have enlightened discourse (or datcourse) on goose breasts and what to do with them?  I myself have never seen a goose breast let alone tried to cook one.  I've had my goose cooked a couple of times, however.

Not just cooked, Dear Friend BK.  You were put through the ringer. Oy!

I will indeed ask the question again tomorrow morning.  I do want to alert Joe Allen's tomorrow afternoon that there will be a crowd and a bona fide partay.
Do you know if any of your invited guests who don't hang out on the site will be come to the partay?
« Last Edit: November 28, 2004, 10:31:21 AM by elmore3003 »
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Noel

• Husband (10th year), father and songwriter
    • Musings on musicals
« Reply #76 on: November 28, 2004, 10:32:20 AM »

Top Banana is very dear to my heart, and the musical I've been writing, Such Good Friends, covers a similar milieu.  Top Banana and Li'l Abner are Johnny Mercer at his funniest, which is quite wonderful.  There's a very odd movie of Top Banana that appears to have been filmed on its Broadway stage.  Indeed, Phil Silvers and Rose Marie are the stars.  Unluckily (for us all), most of the songs have been cut out.

Piano playing: I start by throwing all ten fingers at the keys, and then removing every note that sounds wrong to me.  I guess you could call that an "ear."  Indeed, Matthew's spelled out yet another good reason to despite Jason Robert Brown.  He's written fewer than fifty songs, but about as many notes as Schubert.
In this family, when words won't do, there's gotta be a song.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #77 on: November 28, 2004, 11:28:31 AM »

I think DRJOSE answered DRELMORE's question about the song in the commercial, and I think he is correct.

Hmmmm.....shorter rehearsal today - for me.  I left when there was no more dancing to be done.  

Watching some television and maybe a DVD.  Very windy here last night as well!

All of this talk of computer music programs.  The only one I have is a CyberSound Music Studio.  You hook up the keyboard and you can make music files by playing it note by note - instrument by instrument.  

Sounds like MRBK got some good CD's.  I have one Betty Hutton CD -  one of the Great Ladies of Song Capitol series.  Lots of fun to hear....with some radio promos in between some of the songs....  And ANNIE GET YOUR GUN is going to be on TCM on December 8th - if you don't already have the DVD!

I like ANNIE GYG but my favorite Betty Hutton movie is PERILS OF PAULINE....whew....she gets to sing "Rumble"!
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #78 on: November 28, 2004, 11:31:01 AM »

Good morning. It's beautiful today in the City of Studio. I took a long walk in the new hood, as well as taking Abie to the park in the old hood so he could play with his weekend doggie friends (especially his "special" friend, Edie). I dropped in briefly on my old landlord and lady, while Abie waited in the car.
Once more the morning seems to have gotten away from me. I already had a good cry (okay, childish) because I couldn't find a meeting tape I really needed and am beginning to suspect that I DID find it and the reason the meeting isn't on it is because it didn't tape. Oy! I'll just have to renconstruct from memory. The meeting was only a few days ago, so it should be okay. But the whole thing was just very frustrating, thus the tears.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #79 on: November 28, 2004, 11:46:12 AM »

I want to go ahead and put up my WIZARD OF OZ Christmas tree, but it's probably too early, isn't it? Not even December yet.

When do other DRs put up your trees, if, in fact, you put up one at all? I didn't for many years, but this little table top tree is a snap to put up.

I figure that as long as it's after Thanksgiving, you can do whatever you want.  I have a little table-top Christmas tree that about two and a half feet tall.  It's decorated with mini icicle ornaments and a garland of instruments.  No, really!  It has trumpets and violins, etc.  It's pretty cool.  In my last two apartments, I'd put it on top of my microwave oven.  The last apartment I had, I kept it there the entire time that I lived there.  I never put it away!  So, I say do whatever the heck you want!
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Tomovoz

« Reply #80 on: November 28, 2004, 11:46:50 AM »

How odd to have "Picture Book" mentioned here. spooky odd. I only played it a few days ago.. I eventually replaced my old 45 with the album (CD). As far I know the single bombed everywhere in the world except here in Melbourne. "Picture yourself when your'e getting old" was not a great opening line for teenagers! The flipside was "Starstruck" - another great track. But then I've never been known as a dedicated follower of fashion.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #81 on: November 28, 2004, 11:49:55 AM »

I don't anticipate inviting too many people who aren't hainsies/kimlets to Joe Allen on that night.  I can meet those types on Sunday or Tuesday night.  Heard from Brent Barrett, who will, most likely, be at the signing.

Tomovoz

« Reply #82 on: November 28, 2004, 11:53:00 AM »

There's a Hewlett-Packard printer commercial airing at the present time:  there's a young man hanging picture frames about his neck and turning them intro photos of himself.  The background rock song is driving me mad to figure out what it is.  Is it a 70s song?  Does anyone know its name?  Thanks.
Close but no prize! The song is from 1969.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #83 on: November 28, 2004, 12:00:45 PM »

Good Afternoon!

What a great day for a walk!  The air is crisp, the sky is blue, and the sun is shining.  -Sheesh, it almost sounds like I'm in the City of Studio from the various meteorological descriptions on this here site.  I did indeed hit the park, and the park did not hit back.  Some of the trees still had some leaves on them, and there were a couple of brilliant yellow leaves on the trees and on the ground.  The ones on the ground almost appeared to be oversized buttercups.  Very beautiful.  It was also very encouraging to see that the City has started planted some new trees to replace the ones that were felled during Hurricane Isabel last year.

After walking the Vita-Course in the park, I headed over to Carytown and did some window shopping.  Lots of people out, and some of the stores have started their holiday hours this weekend - meaning they're now open on Sundays.  The holiday spirit is definitely in the air.

And now I'm watching the end of some show about a pierogi festival on FoodTV, and I just finished a small bowl of oatmeal - some new-fangled, organic stuff I bought last night - very tasty.  The oatmeal should hold me until tonight, and then I'll fix something else for dinner after my massage.
Make Your Own Luck.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #84 on: November 28, 2004, 12:08:41 PM »

I'm off to get a bite to eat.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #85 on: November 28, 2004, 12:10:55 PM »

Piano playing: I start by throwing all ten fingers at the keys, and then removing every note that sounds wrong to me.  I guess you could call that an "ear."  Indeed, Matthew's spelled out yet another good reason to despite Jason Robert Brown.  He's written fewer than fifty songs, but about as many notes as Schubert.

I actually like the challenge of playing harder music at auditions.  Jason Robert Brown - or JRB as the "kidz" like to call him - does write a lot of notes, but since a lot of his music is jazz/funk-based, once you break it down harmonically, most of it is very "simple", and it's just a matter of riffing and keeping the rhythm going, driving.  My problem with someone bringing in JRB for an audition is that they want it played fast(er).  Sometimes that's a physical impossibility.

Bernstein's music will sometimes throw me for a loop.  As will Loesser.  The chromaticism is so "acurrate", that one misplaced note or even one omitted note can change the intended harmonies.
Make Your Own Luck.

Sandra

• "Stupider."
« Reply #86 on: November 28, 2004, 12:17:39 PM »

And just remember, your "late night" is not as "late night" as my "late night".  And since she knows that I know that you know that she knows that I know that you know...

:-X

I guess I've been working on these term papers for too long, because I understood that perfectly.

I know I haven't been pulling my own weight, BK, but that's because of the aforementioned term papers that are slowly driving me insane. The only things keeping me going are Cherry Coke and a dwindling chocolate stash in my room. I'll be back when my term papers are done and I can forget all about John Keats, William Shakespeare, and all those other high-falutin' Greeks (Oh, a Music Man reference) until next semester when they'll all be shoved down my throat again.
The mountains are pretty.

"I'm gonna put the little fish in the big tank, and the big fish in the little tank." -- talkative bus driver

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #87 on: November 28, 2004, 12:20:04 PM »

RE: Christmas decorations...

Growing up, my parents would usually start decorating right after Thanksgiving.  Most of it would depend on what else was going on in their lives at the time.  Sometimes they would go out and get the tree on the morning of the day after Thanksgiving.  Other times, it would be the following weekend.  But no later than two weeks before Christmas Day.

My mom also used to do theme trees.  She would spend a few months before the holidays making and/or collecting ornaments.  One year it was all cross-stitch ornaments.  Another it was bamboo angels.  Another, various stars.  In those years, the tree was usually up on Thanksgiving Friday so my mom's creations would get maximum tree-time. ;)

Steve and I used to decorate - well, Steve used to decorate since I was usually working during the holiday season.  Again, for us, it was a matter of just how much craziness we were dealing with - concerts, rehearsals, work parties, etc.  It really is amazing how stressful the holidays can become - if you let them.
Make Your Own Luck.

Tomovoz

« Reply #88 on: November 28, 2004, 12:29:54 PM »

Question for DR Jose. What would be the top 10 "Audition" songs these days? (Following up "I Can Cook Too" comments the other day.).
James Thurber 1957

Tomovoz

« Reply #89 on: November 28, 2004, 12:30:55 PM »

Christmas Decorations should never started until after the birthdays of certain people on this site.
James Thurber 1957
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Up