Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: LIKE A GAZELLE IN A MOSH PIT  (Read 23328 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re:LIKE A GAZELLE IN A MOSH PIT
« Reply #30 on: December 03, 2004, 09:36:20 AM »

Hey, elmore, maybe you can get the buyer to buy Writer's Block for the store.  I know that Marcy the Marketing Lady has been in touch with the Lincoln Center B&N and we're supposed to hear something in January (holidays being what they are) but the more stores, the merrier say I.

I was awakened by Fed Ex, dropping off an envelope from our very own Harvey Schmidt.  It's the info about his Times Square exhibit in the lobby of the York Theater - I'm going to see it whilst in New York, and I urge everyone else to.

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #31 on: December 03, 2004, 09:42:18 AM »

Today's LOL moment from the memory file:

I was going through old videos this morning getting ready for my next round of eBay auctions, when I came across the old Sabu feature Elephant Boy, which reminded me that years ago I had Dear Spouse Betsy believing it was a prequel to Elephant Man.  Maybe you had to be there.....  ::)
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #32 on: December 03, 2004, 09:45:36 AM »

In the DVD player: Last night, der B and I watched a motion picture entertainment called Spider-man 2.  It wasn't nearly as much fun as we'd hoped it would be.  I guess I'm supposed to think Peter Parker's pathetic psyche is enjoyable, but it's not.  He's a mopester, humdrum without the hum.  The only thing that made sense was that his girlfriend, Mary Jane, was in love with him.  After all, she'd been abused by her dad, so she logically should either end up with another abusive sort or with a loser.  This is the super-hero the grandlads love so much?  The times we live in are sad, is all I can say.

As a long time comicbook fan, I could tell you that the character of Peter Parker started out as a mopey loser over 40 years ago (though he's grown to be much more self-assured over the decades), so his type of super-hero has been around for a long time.  It's not a sign of the times.

And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #33 on: December 03, 2004, 09:49:05 AM »

Last night's LOL moment:

Quite late at night, just before we put the kids to bed, suddenly our front doorbell rang in a very strange manner--the first tone rang for about 10 seconds, then the second tone quite briefly, as if someone had been leaning on the buzzer for a moment, then let go.  I looked out the peephole and saw no one, and opened the door, and there was dear dog BeeGee looking up at me on the porch with a "what took you so long?" look on his adorable face.  Evidently he has learned how to politely ask to come in.

I don't think I mentioned this before, but we had a close call with dear dog BeeGee last week--through an absolute fluke of a series of events that couldn't be replicated if you tried, he got a block of D-Con and ate it.  Luckily I noticed almost immediately and he has been on Vitamin K (suitable for a Kauffman dog, no?) since then and will make a complete recovery.
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #34 on: December 03, 2004, 09:49:25 AM »

Thanks for the vibes DRJENNIFER (and other DR's) - Holly's operation is sometime today, hopefully we will hear before 3 pm.

MEDIA ALERT:

DVD:  4 Episodes of tv's HOW THE MARRY A MILLIONAIRE courtesy DRMBARNUM & AIRPORT '79 THE CONCORDE!

CD:  Bus & Truck - the Demo Recording

VCR:  NIAGARA with Miss Marilyn Monroe, I really like this movie and Marilyn looks and sounds great.

DtM - last night was the first time I saw THE WORLD OF HENRY ORIENT from beginning to end, and I have joined the HO Cult.  What a beautiful movie.  What lovely performances.  The girls are a bit forced (but they are young girls NOT 20 year olds playing teen agers) and the adults are perfectly cast.  Well of course I do not have the sing the praises of this movie around HHW.  I am only sorry I have neglected it lo these many years.

Elmer Bernstein's piece for piano and orchestra is perfect....and the reaction of the audience waiting at the stage door later in the movie after Henry leaves the hall is hilarious!

Marrie Spaeth (now a Republican pundit) and Tippy Walker are so cute.  Paula Prentiss gives what I think is her best performance, she is hilarious and a perfect foil for Sellers.  Angela Lansbury is perfect - Phyllis Thaxter is wonderful.  AND I really liked Tom Bosley, who I usually don't.

Now - questions - what is it the two girls are saying when they jump over things?  I can't understand the word they say.  AND if you have the DVD, is the sound quality a problem.  I was going to order it, but it seems that many reviewers said it was hard to hear.

Okay Friday.....official full-price opening!

The original soundtrack was issued by Film Score Monthly more than one year ago. It's a gorgeous score, including the concerto.  The audio is superb.

It may be ordered through Screen Archives (just google that name and you'll get a link.  They handle all sales/distribution of FSM's CD releases now.  You can type in the name of the film and you'll find the CD.
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #35 on: December 03, 2004, 09:50:56 AM »

Last night's LOL moment:

Luckily I noticed almost immediately and he has been on Vitamin K (suitable for a Kauffman dog, no?) since then and will make a complete recovery.

Vitamin K?

Is that Kaopectate?

:D
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

William F. Orr

• Jeeper Creepers!
« Reply #36 on: December 03, 2004, 09:51:42 AM »

In my CD player, Fairport Convention, "The Rhythm of the Times".  In my VCR. my eleven year old daughter's singing performance her music teacher arranged to be filmed and shown on the local  public access TV channel. In my DVD player, oh lord, Barbie in the Princess & the Pauper!!! (I mentioned the 11 year old daughter did I not?)

Welcome, vixmom!

Since I know you, I assume that the public access channel is on Long Island.  Can you give us date and time so the other LI hainesy/kimlets (especially me) can be sure to watch and/or time-shift.

And while you're at it, please to tell everyone all about you.
"Champagne to my real friends, and real pain to my sham friends!"
--Wayland Flowers

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #37 on: December 03, 2004, 09:56:28 AM »

Today's LOL moment from the memory file:

I was going through old videos this morning getting ready for my next round of eBay auctions, when I came across the old Sabu feature Elephant Boy, which reminded me that years ago I had Dear Spouse Betsy believing it was a prequel to Elephant Man.  Maybe you had to be there.....  ::)

Good joke, DR JMK, but I think that could actually work into a sequel to Young Sherlock Holmes.  Young Sherlock teams up with Young John Merrick (who hasn't completely sucumbed to his disease so he can still be portrayed by a young hollywood hottie) to find out why Queen Victoria has suddenly been reversed in age to an 18 year old (she's played by Linsay Lohan!)  

We need to get a treatment written up on this quickly!
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

MBarnum

« Reply #38 on: December 03, 2004, 09:57:08 AM »

I am glad that BeeGee has recovered! Whew, that would be close call JMK!

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #39 on: December 03, 2004, 09:58:18 AM »

VCR:  Nothing these days; my videotaping mania has died.  When the bookshelves collapsed, along with throwing out a lot of books, I tossed out a great many movies and television programs I had taped in the past 12 years or so.  Don't miss any of it.

I know EXACTLY what you mean. I'm visiting this same "scenario" in various aspects of my daily life.  I make a few piles that I tell myself are for storage/charity/etc., then I get tired of walking around the piles and tote them all to the trash...where they should have gone from the GITGO!

William F. Orr

• Jeeper Creepers!
« Reply #40 on: December 03, 2004, 09:58:58 AM »

Or, DR vixmom, was she already on and I missed it?
"Champagne to my real friends, and real pain to my sham friends!"
--Wayland Flowers

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #41 on: December 03, 2004, 09:59:49 AM »

I'm having a weird thing going on with the post box I use regularly at 14th Street and Seventh Avenue:  none of my checks in the past two weeks are turning up, and I'm wondering if there's a crazy postman in the Village?  My Macy's payment took 19 days to reach them this month.  Any advice?

Yes...link into your bank's website and set up online payment of your bills.

It's safe, it's fast and you have the security of knowing that your bills are paid when you want them to be paid.  No checks will ever go missing and you cut down on your need for checks, too!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #42 on: December 03, 2004, 10:06:47 AM »

Welcome, vixmom!  Glad you have joined us.  

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #43 on: December 03, 2004, 10:08:47 AM »

DR SWW, I'm surprised you weren't thrilled with SPIDER-MAN 2. Every review that I read commented on its superiority to the original film. I was NOT a big fan of the original, so I had high hopes for liking this sequel. Now, I'm not so sure.

Got this in the mail Tuesday and watched that night.

WONDERFUL MOVIE!  Terrific story, excellent effects and very touching developments in arc.  It was a wonderful movie-movie and a perfect complement to the original which I also love.

Matt, you'll love it.  I appreciate it the same way I did "X-2"!

Anyone who knows "Spiderman" knows that Peter Parker was an ordinary, insecure fellow who was bitten by a spider and took on extraordinary strength and spiderlike abilities.  It's the entire charm of the character that he's more human than not.  

« Last Edit: December 03, 2004, 10:17:22 AM by RLP »

vixmom

• Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty
« Reply #44 on: December 03, 2004, 10:18:54 AM »

Dear Dr. Bill!!  She should be on LI cablevison channel 20 either 12/11 or 12/18 at 10 or 10:30 pm (public access isn't all that precise I 've found out)

Vicky is singing two songs from Jekyll & Hyde, "In His Eyes" and "Someone Like You"

She was so enraptured by these songs I search the ebay and found a DVD of the Broadway production starring Mr. David Hasselhoff.  We sat waiting to be enthralled and well....it seems the songs run from the sublime to the really really bad......

Our favorite, it was so bad it was good, was "Murder Murder" Some favorite lyrics:  "Oh no another murder, just like that other murder" "He hates the upper class, he must be on his ass"

The best expalnation we could come up with for the choreography was that the choreographer was suffering from severe muscle spasms and had a pencant for walking in small tight circles.

Tell everyone all about me? Naah, I'm boring.  My talent is appreciation.  Someone has to be the audience!!

Lately Vicky & I  have been appreciating Wicked.  We were lucky enough to get to see the show in August, a friend had two orchestra seats for the Sunday matinee the day before the Republican convention and decided the city would be too nasty that day, so we very happily took them off her hands  .

Any of you Broadway connected types on the list who might have a  secret connection to  get us in again take note, you would make a little girl and her cash strapped  mommy very happy!!!

Anything else about me? Uh, I gave you a keychain once!! And I do love Bill Orr!!
Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty

It’s weird being the same age as old people

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #45 on: December 03, 2004, 10:30:07 AM »

Good Morning!

Well, it's Good Afternoon by now, but it still feels like morning... at least in my head right now...

I woke up a bit groggy, a bit achy, with a weird feeling throat... ugh...  I thought my breakfast would have kicked in by now, but it hasn't.  Or it has kicked in by now, but it just wasn't the cure-all I was hoping it to be.  I think "it" is just the crazy weather and temp changes over the past week.  I also think Arena Stage's sort of infamous theatre dust and other stuff in the air may be having an effect.  Some of the other players in the band started sniffling last night too, so...  -Time to break out the Claritin!

As for media check...  I actually thought I would have more to list this week, but somehow my listening and watching plans got sidetracked - and I did plan to watch and to listen to some things.  So, with that disclaimer...

CD Player: Wicked (OCR/OBC/etc...), Hallelujah, Baby! (OCR) in preparation for rehearsals...

And that's about it.  I did get some prime-time TV time in this week, so I guess that counts for something.

...Now I'm just waiting to hear if I'll be needed to come in tomorrow and Sunday for rehearsals.  I actually would like to opportunity to learn the show - at least this version of the show - and the extra money would not be a bad thing either, but the more I think about it, the more I just want to go back home to Richmond this weekend, and enjoy my final weekend at home, in my own little corner, etc...  If I don't hear anything by 3:00, I'm just going to call the production office and tell them I'm not available.  I think...
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #46 on: December 03, 2004, 10:35:26 AM »

DR vixmom!  Welcome!
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #47 on: December 03, 2004, 10:42:09 AM »

Dear Esteemed BK - Just a word of "warning" for your upcoming flights this weekend to and from the Big Apple...  If you're the type of person who tends to overpack - I don't think you are, but just in case - be forewarned that the airlines are being VERY strict with the weight limits for luggage, and the number of pieces you can check and carry-on.  I had that bit of unpleasantness flying out of Houston a few weeks ago, and a bunch of other people I've spoken with who've been flying over the past couple of weeks have also been caught off guard by the strictness of the rules right now - well, at least the very strict enforcement of the rules.  In these days and times, it is understandable, all the security measures, but still...  My brother was charged $50.00 last week for having one of his bags ONE pound over the weight limit.  And the person at the desk would not allow him to redistribute a few things to his other bag since that would have a posed a "security" issue.  ?!?!?!?  So...

I'm rambling.. You know what I mean.
Make Your Own Luck.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #48 on: December 03, 2004, 10:43:23 AM »

Anyone who knows "Spiderman" knows that Peter Parker was an ordinary, insecure fellow who was bitten by a spider and took on extraordinary strength and spiderlike abilities.  It's the entire charm of the character that he's more human than not.  
I am not one of those who "knows" Spider-man, and I would dare to say that a sizable portion of the film's audience is like me in that regard.  Part of the responsibility of a film's writers, in a case like this, is to make sure the film stands on it's own, separate from the source material.  Indeed, with the X-Men films, much care was taken to make sure those unfamiliar with the source (again, like myself) would not be left in the dark as to what was going on.

I thought that the Peter Parker character worked in the first film, where he was discovering his abilities.  This time, with Parker overcome with self-doubt, fell flat.  Perhaps, with the third film, the film's creators will work around this problem.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #49 on: December 03, 2004, 10:45:29 AM »

Last night's LOL moment:

Quite late at night, just before we put the kids to bed, suddenly our front doorbell rang in a very strange manner--the first tone rang for about 10 seconds, then the second tone quite briefly, as if someone had been leaning on the buzzer for a moment, then let go.  I looked out the peephole and saw no one, and opened the door, and there was dear dog BeeGee looking up at me on the porch with a "what took you so long?" look on his adorable face.  Evidently he has learned how to politely ask to come in.

I don't think I mentioned this before, but we had a close call with dear dog BeeGee last week--through an absolute fluke of a series of events that couldn't be replicated if you tried, he got a block of D-Con and ate it.  Luckily I noticed almost immediately and he has been on Vitamin K (suitable for a Kauffman dog, no?) since then and will make a complete recovery.

Will we be seeing BeeGee on the news in the upcoming weeks?  Like that one dog who was letting out all his pals at the pound a few months ago... And now has been taped locking the deadbolt locks at his new owner's house?

;)

...And glad to hear that the Vitamin K is doing it's job.

Hmm... Maybe I need some Vitamin K right now...

::)
Make Your Own Luck.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #50 on: December 03, 2004, 10:51:08 AM »

Tell everyone all about me? Naah, I'm boring.  My talent is appreciation.  Someone has to be the audience!!
You're not alone in being part of the audience, Vixmom!  It's something der Brucer and I do very well!
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #51 on: December 03, 2004, 10:54:33 AM »

Jose, I pack as light as a person can pack - one small carry-on bag and my laptop, that's it.

My lunch got changed to a breakfast so I'm on my way to meet Mr. Kevin Spirtas right now.

Sandra

• "Stupider."
« Reply #52 on: December 03, 2004, 10:54:53 AM »

Welcome Dear Reader Vixmom. Do you like Cherry Coke?

I am reporting live from the third floor of the library, where I will shortly begin my second-to-last term paper. It's due Monday, and then the last one will take me all week, and then all I'll have to worry about is final exams.

I presented said second-to-last term paper in my first class today. Since I just decided on my topic last night, you'd think it would have been pretty disorganized (like yesterday's Shakespeare fiasco), but it wasn't. This means that I should always write my own material.

Today in my boring survey class, this one guy who always understands everything the teacher is talking about (there's one in every class) was discussing something very deep with the T.A., and boring Dr. C. apparently didn't understand what this guy was saying because he had the same look on his face my Grandpa did when I was explaining probability to him (my mom knows what I mean).
The mountains are pretty.

"I'm gonna put the little fish in the big tank, and the big fish in the little tank." -- talkative bus driver

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #53 on: December 03, 2004, 10:55:27 AM »

Good morning, all!  This is my first day returning to my part-time job at Barnes & Noble since July, so I'm quite happy about it.  I get to play in the boks, help a few Christmas shoppers, hang out with a lot of friends, and think about other realities than my health, music and theatre.  The manager of the store where I work is one wonderful lady, her assistant manager Cathie is like a sister, and the two clerks I primarily work with, Val and Tara, are great.

VCR:  Nothing these days; my videotaping mania has died.  When the bookshelves collapsed, along with throwing out a lot of books, I tossed out a great many movies and television programs I had taped in the past 12 years or so.  Don't miss any of it.

I'm having a weird thing going on with the post box I use regularly at 14th Street and Seventh Avenue:  none of my checks in the past two weeks are turning up, and I'm wondering if there's a crazy postman in the Village?  My Macy's payment took 19 days to reach them this month.  Any advice?

DR elmore - Hope you had/have a great time back with your family at work.

-I've been thinking of working part-time back at the music store, just to keep myself busy and out of trouble during the day. ;)  The owner still works in the store, and most of the staff that worked there when I was in high school are still there too.  They're like family to me too.

I have a storage shelf with about 120 VHS tapes in it... None of which have been watched in one year.. two years... three years... more...  Hmm...

As for your post office box woes...  Sometimes "delays" happen - especially around this time of year, but I'd still call the post office branch in charge of that box, and file a "complaint".  You never know... maybe the box got vandalized or something like that...  -I've always wondered how the post office handles mailboxes getting "hosed"/flooded out or otherwise "pranked".
Make Your Own Luck.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #54 on: December 03, 2004, 11:06:35 AM »

I am not one of those who "knows" Spider-man, and I would dare to say that a sizable portion of the film's audience is like me in that regard.  Part of the responsibility of a film's writers, in a case like this, is to make sure the film stands on it's own, separate from the source material.  Indeed, with the X-Men films, much care was taken to make sure those unfamiliar with the source (again, like myself) would not be left in the dark as to what was going on.

I thought that the Peter Parker character worked in the first film, where he was discovering his abilities.  This time, with Parker overcome with self-doubt, fell flat.  Perhaps, with the third film, the film's creators will work around this problem.

I thought the story brilliantly written...and it stands alone just splendidly.  I totally disagree with your every observation regarding this film.  And I doubt that if a sizable portion of the audience had reacted as you did, it would have garnered the critical raves or made the bazillion dollars it earned at the box office.

Your comments are the only negative ones I've read.

I'm certainly not interested in trying to change your opinion of this film.  

However, if anyone has doubts about the film, it's incumbent upon someone who LOVED the movie to say so.

« Last Edit: December 03, 2004, 11:17:29 AM by RLP »

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #55 on: December 03, 2004, 11:16:42 AM »

Welcome New D(ear) R(eader) Vixmom!!

In my CD player at work:  Six CDs that I just got free (only $18.73 for shipping!!) for joining the BMG record club!!

• Linda Eder's "Broadway My Way"
  • Ain't Misbehavin'.  I've always had this record (and tape and CD-R) but never a "real" CD
  • the OBC recording of On a Clear Day You Can See Forever with Barbara Harris
  • the remastered OBC recording of The Sound of Music with Mary Martin
  • the remastered OBC recording of Candide with Barbara Cook
  • the soundtrack to "NEW YORK - A Documentary Film"
and finally:  the 2-CD Broadway Deluxe Collector's Edition of Hair, which has both the OBC and the OOffBC.  I actually paid for this one so it's my one and only "obligated to buy" CD from BMG.  My purchase requirement has been fulfilled!  I got a lotta listenin' to do!  (almost a Bye Bye Birdie reference) ;D
« Last Edit: December 03, 2004, 11:18:57 AM by George »
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

MBarnum

« Reply #56 on: December 03, 2004, 11:17:51 AM »

Just 40 minutes until gettin' off of work time! Woohoo!

Then off to an estate sale in Keizer and then a trip through Meier and Frank and the rest of the mall.

MBarnum

« Reply #57 on: December 03, 2004, 11:19:30 AM »

The only Spider-Man I know is the old cartoon from the 60s. Although I briefly dated a guy a few years ago who collected anything and everything on Spiderman. He even had Spiderman tatoos.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #58 on: December 03, 2004, 11:29:32 AM »

Welcome to brand spanking new DR Vixmom!
-- Anaïs Nin

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #59 on: December 03, 2004, 11:29:56 AM »

Welcome New D(ear) R(eader) Vixmom!!

In my CD player at work:  Six CDs that I just got free (only $18.73 for shipping!!) for joining the BMG record club!!

I've been a member of BMG for many years - I think since my freshman year in college.  They're inventory may not be encyclopedic, but there are some "obscure" items among all the popular stuff.  Over the past years, they've been distributing CDs from a bunch of smaller labels.  Classically speaking, they carry some CDs from the English label, Hyperion, which normally run $18-22 dollars in the stores since they're imports.  But when BMG runs one of those "Buy 1, Get 3 Free" sales...  And sometimes they offer No S&H.  *It pays to sign up for the e-mails - they seem to have private sales every other week...  Well, just like this week - 60% off with No S&H!

And for show-related CDs, they carry a bunch of the Sony and Decca reissues, as well BMG/RCA, DRG and Nonesuch.  *And be sure to check the Clearance Sales every few weeks, usually a treasure or two to be had in there - even with the S&H included.
Make Your Own Luck.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Up