Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: LIKE A GAZELLE IN A MOSH PIT  (Read 23332 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
LIKE A GAZELLE IN A MOSH PIT
« on: December 03, 2004, 12:01:30 AM »

Well, you've read the notes, you've ingested the notes, you've digested the notes, you've ruminated on the notes, and now it is time for you to post until the cows come home or are found with the gazelles in a mosh pit.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2004, 11:59:14 PM by bk »

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
Re:LIKE A GAZELLE IN A MOSH PIT
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2004, 12:10:17 AM »

In my CD player I have Yo-Yo Ma Plays Ennio Morricone, which is lovely. I had it on especially loud this afternoon to combat the very loud and bad music the little boy downstairs was playing. He stopped, so I guess I won. Or Yo-Yo won. When hip cats greet Yo-Yo, do they say, "Yo! Yo-Yo!"...?
Just asking. Good-night.

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2004, 05:00:00 AM »

CD (computer) - Barbara Cook's Broadway.
Cassette (kitchen) - Sally Mayes' Our Private World.
I'll be working this weekend, but it's the sort that lends itself to background music ... so I'm working on a selection.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2004, 05:28:45 AM »

In my CD player I have Yo-Yo Ma Plays Ennio Morricone, which is lovely. I had it on especially loud this afternoon to combat the very loud and bad music the little boy downstairs was playing. He stopped, so I guess I won. Or Yo-Yo won. When hip cats greet Yo-Yo, do they say, "Yo! Yo-Yo!"...?
Just asking. Good-night.

I wonder if Yo-Yo Ma was ever mistakenly introduced as Yo Mama.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2004, 05:37:47 AM »

Welcome to My Media Check:

CD Player (at home):  the soundtrack to the Julie Andrews Cinderella

CD Player (at work):  U2 -- How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb

DVD Player:  Santa Vs. The Snowmen -- in 3D!

VHS:  A Christmas Carol from last Sunday night.  (I wish I knew that The World Of Henry Orient was on TCM last night--I would have taped that.)
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Ben

« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2004, 06:01:21 AM »

Quick post before we're off to Broadway Cares volunteering.

I'll be errant and truant all day but just wanted to say

Yo

Nothing in anything, except food in our stomachs.

Later, gaters.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2004, 06:32:21 AM »

Good morning, all!  This is my first day returning to my part-time job at Barnes & Noble since July, so I'm quite happy about it.  I get to play in the boks, help a few Christmas shoppers, hang out with a lot of friends, and think about other realities than my health, music and theatre.  The manager of the store where I work is one wonderful lady, her assistant manager Cathie is like a sister, and the two clerks I primarily work with, Val and Tara, are great.

Media alert:

CD:  Christmas has settled in, and I've been burning Christmas compilations of my arrangements for BK, the New York City Gay Men's Chorus and the Radio City Christmas Spectacular.  I'm playing them back as I burn them to check them out.  I've also been playing a lot OUT OF THIS WORLD (Porter), Guy Haines' fab solo album, FINE AND DANDY, and the Herbert shows I'm editing.

DVD:  Three Netflix movies; first up, THE RECKONING based on the myster MORALITY PLAY  I just read.

VCR:  Nothing these days; my videotaping mania has died.  When the bookshelves collapsed, along with throwing out a lot of books, I tossed out a great many movies and television programs I had taped in the past 12 years or so.  Don't miss any of it.

I'm having a weird thing going on with the post box I use regularly at 14th Street and Seventh Avenue:  none of my checks in the past two weeks are turning up, and I'm wondering if there's a crazy postman in the Village?  My Macy's payment took 19 days to reach them this month.  Any advice?
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Jennifer

« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2004, 06:37:24 AM »

DR JRand, good vibes for Holly. ~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Jennifer

« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2004, 06:38:20 AM »

Check your PBS stations for the Julie Andrews Cinderella.   It's on here this Sunday at 3pm (weird time).  Yeah!

Jennifer

« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2004, 06:40:38 AM »

Oh what joyous weather.  NOT!

It's -17C with windchill.  That is way too cold.

At least they are now saying that there will be only 1 cm of snow, instead of the 5cm I heard yesterday.

Jennifer

« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2004, 06:45:41 AM »

DR Elmore, use a different post box!

But hey, I would contact the US Postal Service general number and tell them about your problem.  You know where the mailbox is, so you can give them the info!

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2004, 07:00:02 AM »

In the DVD player: Last night, der B and I watched a motion picture entertainment called Spider-man 2.  It wasn't nearly as much fun as we'd hoped it would be.  I guess I'm supposed to think Peter Parker's pathetic psyche is enjoyable, but it's not.  He's a mopester, humdrum without the hum.  The only thing that made sense was that his girlfriend, Mary Jane, was in love with him.  After all, she'd been abused by her dad, so she logically should either end up with another abusive sort or with a loser.  This is the super-hero the grandlads love so much?  The times we live in are sad, is all I can say.

In my hands: I'm reading The DaVinci Code.  Someone should get DaVinci a handkerchief.  Der B loved the book, with it's quick cutting from scene to scene right as something is being discovered.  Me, I find this quick cutting distracting, annoying when it happens every two pages.  It reminds me of the badly written/edited films our esteemed BK has railed against so often.

In my mouth: I just finished a lemon-poppy seed muffin.  Not too sweet, nicely tangy, and with lots of poppy seeds to find stuck between my teeth later in the day.  Yummy.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2004, 07:02:49 AM »

Fletcher, the deaf Dalmatian, today is proving himself worthy of his nickname, "Sir Fartsalot."   :-\
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2004, 07:26:58 AM »

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]! ! ! ! !  HEALTHY VIBES FOR DR JRAND'S HOLLY  ! ! ! ! ![/move]
-- Anaïs Nin

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2004, 07:27:10 AM »

Thanks for the vibes DRJENNIFER (and other DR's) - Holly's operation is sometime today, hopefully we will hear before 3 pm.

MEDIA ALERT:

DVD:  4 Episodes of tv's HOW THE MARRY A MILLIONAIRE courtesy DRMBARNUM & AIRPORT '79 THE CONCORDE!

CD:  Bus & Truck - the Demo Recording

VCR:  NIAGARA with Miss Marilyn Monroe, I really like this movie and Marilyn looks and sounds great.

DtM - last night was the first time I saw THE WORLD OF HENRY ORIENT from beginning to end, and I have joined the HO Cult.  What a beautiful movie.  What lovely performances.  The girls are a bit forced (but they are young girls NOT 20 year olds playing teen agers) and the adults are perfectly cast.  Well of course I do not have the sing the praises of this movie around HHW.  I am only sorry I have neglected it lo these many years.

Elmer Bernstein's piece for piano and orchestra is perfect....and the reaction of the audience waiting at the stage door later in the movie after Henry leaves the hall is hilarious!

Marrie Spaeth (now a Republican pundit) and Tippy Walker are so cute.  Paula Prentiss gives what I think is her best performance, she is hilarious and a perfect foil for Sellers.  Angela Lansbury is perfect - Phyllis Thaxter is wonderful.  AND I really liked Tom Bosley, who I usually don't.

Now - questions - what is it the two girls are saying when they jump over things?  I can't understand the word they say.  AND if you have the DVD, is the sound quality a problem.  I was going to order it, but it seems that many reviewers said it was hard to hear.

Okay Friday.....official full-price opening!
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #15 on: December 03, 2004, 07:27:41 AM »

Thanks for the special vibes DtM - they came up while I was writing my post.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #16 on: December 03, 2004, 07:32:50 AM »

Looking forward to returning to the show tonight, but am somewhat on edge about second night let-down. I know my energy and focus aren't going to flag, but I can't speak for the others in the cast, particularly the children. Fingers are crossed.

Thanks for asking about pictures. None yet, but the props lady was snapping away like mad during that Wednesday final dress and there may be some forthcoming. And I understand the show is to be recorded (shhhh........ not supposed to be, you know), and once I get my hands on that, I'll do some captures and post them.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #17 on: December 03, 2004, 07:33:06 AM »

DRJRand54, here's hoping Holly's okay!

Did you learn your song yet?
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Matt H.

« Reply #18 on: December 03, 2004, 07:36:25 AM »

Friday Media Check:

CD - HOLIDAY IN PLAID

DVD - Marx Brothers set and will begin at the beginning with THE COCOANUTS

DVR - Wednesday night's LOST
          Wednesday night's LAW & ORDER
          Thursday night's JOEY
          Thursday night's CSI rerun (season premiere that I missed due to SOMETHING'S AFOOT)

vixmom

• Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty
« Reply #19 on: December 03, 2004, 07:46:13 AM »

In my CD player, Fairport Convention, "The Rhythm of the Times".  In my VCR. my eleven year old daughter's singing performance her music teacher arranged to be filmed and shown on the local  public access TV channel. In my DVD player, oh lord, Barbie in the Princess & the Pauper!!! (I mentioned the 11 year old daughter did I not?)
Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty

It’s weird being the same age as old people

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #20 on: December 03, 2004, 07:46:16 AM »

Thanks DRELMORE - as a matter of fact, I learned it pretty well from the CD - but it's great to have the music!   ;D

Well here is the only newspaper photo to yet appear from our show.  It is not so hot, but better than nothing!  And not really representative of the piece...but...it is Mrs Bob Cratchitt facing up to Clarence the Angel from IT'S A WONDERFUL LIFE....you have to be there, no explanation will suffice.  ;D

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #21 on: December 03, 2004, 07:47:02 AM »

Hi vixmom - welcome!  You are NOW a celebrity MOM!

Matt H.

« Reply #22 on: December 03, 2004, 07:55:21 AM »

DR SWW, I'm surprised you weren't thrilled with SPIDER-MAN 2. Every review that I read commented on its superiority to the original film. I was NOT a big fan of the original, so I had high hopes for liking this sequel. Now, I'm not so sure.

MBarnum

« Reply #23 on: December 03, 2004, 08:14:22 AM »

Welcome to new Dear Reader (DR) Vixmom! I will bet your daughter was thrilled to see herself on TV!!

Media check:

CD: The Best Arabian Album Ever Vol. 3, and two new CDs of the Egyptian "Ricky Martin", Amr Diab.

DVD: 4 episodes of the 1950s TV series HOW TO MARRY A MILLIONAIRE, episodes of THE LUCY SHOW (from the $1 store).

VHS: 2 episodes of the TV series FRONTIER CIRCUS starring John Derek.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #24 on: December 03, 2004, 08:40:08 AM »

Frontier Circus - I haven't thought of that show in 40 years or MORE.  

Thanks everyone!  Holly the zaftig sharpei is now recovering from her surgery.  She will get to come home tomorrow morning!  Thanks again...and bark bark from Gone Hollywood!

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #25 on: December 03, 2004, 08:41:35 AM »

Media check:

DVD:  THX 1138.

CDs:  this morning Japanese Melodies with flute and harp, though I have been listening to a lot of Medieval Christmas music as the holidays approach.  In my "work CD" player is the Contemporary Christian group DC Talk, which does some really excellent jazz-tinged pop stuff that I am doing choral arrangements of for the Tigard Pops Choir.

JR:  now you must run out and get the cast album of the musicalized HO, Henry, Sweet Henry, which was the biggest musical hit of the 1967-68 season, written about in spectacularly funny fashion in Goldman's The Season.
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #26 on: December 03, 2004, 08:54:26 AM »

BTW, don't know if this got mentioned during my long absence, but Collectibles has just put out another 3 great Percy Faith reissues, and these are all jam packed with rarities--two of them are single only compilations of Percy's orchestral backings for other artists when he was A&R Director at Columbia in the 50s.  The third is the fairly tame I Think I Love You, but with quite a few bonus tracks that were singles-only releases in the late 60s.  And in the best news, it appears there is hope for The Oscar soundtrack to be reissued.  Evidently someone has been beating Tony Bennett about his head and shoulders to stop moaning about the rights to the single version of Maybe September that's included on the soundtrack LP, which has been the sticking point up to now.
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

Jennifer

« Reply #27 on: December 03, 2004, 09:09:30 AM »

I have a lot in my VCR: Wednesday's LOST and SMALLVILLE, Thursday's Joey, and a bunch of movies my sister taped for me including STUCK ON YOU, SCARY MOVIE 3, and TRIPLETS OF BELLEVILLE.

And I have 3 dvds to rent from my video store before January 1st.  So I shall probably get something tomorrow.  THE TERMINAL is definitely something I want to see.  I bought my brother-in-law SPIDERMAN 2 for Christmas.  So I'll probably just borrow it back from him.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #28 on: December 03, 2004, 09:13:11 AM »

Hello, Vixmom!  Welcome to the partay!  Pull up a chair and tell us about yourself, when you get the chance!

Noel

• Husband (10th year), father and songwriter
    • Musings on musicals
« Reply #29 on: December 03, 2004, 09:19:17 AM »

With shows opening Sunday and Wednesday, I've been understandably e & t, and haven't been reading posts since that 300+ night.  I feel very out of the loop.  But I should be able to make it to that signing, and the Joe Allen's nightcap.  I have been reading the notes

Right now I'm listening to Donald Feltham's Broadway radio hour, which, given my old computer and slow internet connection, actually takes me more than six hours to listen to (it keeps stopping, buffering, and then goes on).  In the CD player are:

Sweet Charity
Bus & Truck (demo)
Sally Mayes: Story Hour
vcr is half-way through this week's Law & Order

The view from behind the piano is murky.  I've no idea if these Second City shows will be the funniest thing since sliced jello or uncomfortable embarrassments.  You simply have to see for yourself.

I'm not sure how many numbers I have in Generation F'd - could be two, could be three.  The opening number is the catchiest number ever written.  Eight bars of the thing and you'll be humming it forever.  I say this not as a boast, but as a warning.  And Then He Wrote - Songs of Squeaky Klein may turn out to be as short as a half hour, as we've cut the barbershop quartet, and I'm being pressured to shorten the ballet as it's tiring the cast out.  (I hasten to point out that we've only one particularly young and spry person in the cast; everybody else is around 50.)  And Then He Wrote is free, no reservations needed, in a nice neighborhood (Elmore's) and over soon.

Generation F'd

December 5 & 13
7pm & 9pm
Barrow Group Studio
312 West 36th Street - 3rd Floor Theatre
Admission: $10
Reservations - 212 691 0011 or KNSecondCity@aol.com

Wednesday the 8th at 8:30, the improvised-before-your-very-eyes musical revue, And Then He Wrote - Songs of Squeaky Klein plays at the 78th Street Theatre Lab (just East of Broadway, over Stand-Up New York)

Also, on the 13th, I'm accompanying carols in the lobby of 1633 Broadway (Paramount Plaza - 50th-51st) at lunch.
In this family, when words won't do, there's gotta be a song.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Up