Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: THE OOMPH FACTOR  (Read 22302 times)

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
Re:THE OOMPH FACTOR
« Reply #30 on: December 05, 2004, 09:19:37 AM »

And Jane, ages ago you asked for a photo of my new rug. Well, the corner of it is in this pic. It's not an exciting rug, but looks good in the space. A nice warm color. Abie finds it relaxing.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #31 on: December 05, 2004, 09:19:48 AM »

RE SUMMER MAGIC. I haven't seen it since I was a kid. Back then, I liked almost everything I saw, but I remember leaving the theater thinking decidedly that the film wasn't up to the best of Hayley Mills from previous Disney epics. It was a slight letdown, and I've never tried to find it on TV or on video. However, I would like to give it another chance as a adult and see if I like it any better.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #32 on: December 05, 2004, 09:20:36 AM »

Thanks for the info provided after I went to bed last night about the late, beautiful John Ashley.

Matt H.

« Reply #33 on: December 05, 2004, 09:21:00 AM »

Off to our matinee. Will post later today.

Danise

« Reply #34 on: December 05, 2004, 09:23:26 AM »

I have to say, DR Panni, that Dear Dog Abie is one the most relaxed dogs I've ever seen.    :D

Break a leg, DR Matt!

Dan-in-Toronto, I still like to try one of those.  I'll have to ask around.
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #35 on: December 05, 2004, 09:45:47 AM »

Good Afternoon!

What an amazing day it is here in Richmond.  The sun is out.  The sky is blue.  The temp is in the upper 50s - may even break 60 later on.  I even have the front screen door "open" to get some fresh air circulating in the apartment.

It took a few extra moments to fall asleep last night since every little rustle or squeak I heard sounded like a mouse to me.  Who knows?  It might have been, but I did finally make it to bed, and I slept rather well.  Almost too well.  I had wanted to get up right at 9:30 to head over to brunch, but instead I looked at the clock at 9:30, and then stayed in bed until about 10:15.  Then I got up, got dressed and headed over to Sidewalk...
Make Your Own Luck.

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #36 on: December 05, 2004, 09:48:35 AM »

DR Danise,

Another thing about the seedless pomegranates. The skin is more a blushing golden than the customary red.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #37 on: December 05, 2004, 09:56:51 AM »

I must go now and watch the end of THE TERMINAL.
Is it just me, or is this sentence self-redundant?

::)
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #38 on: December 05, 2004, 10:04:19 AM »

(Boric acid and Borax are toxic and should not be accessible to parrots and other pets. Baking soda is said to work as well as Borax.)
In other words, with baking soda the roaches burp themselves to death?

:P
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #39 on: December 05, 2004, 10:16:24 AM »

Oh, bother.  I just looked up the weather forcast for NYC tomorrow.  Looks like it's bundle weather.
Monday: Cloudy with rain and snow. High 44F. Winds E at 10 to 15 mph. Chance of precip 70%.
Monday night: Light rain early...then remaining cloudy with showers late. Low 42F. Winds E at 5 to 10 mph. Chance of rain 60%.
So bring the 'brollys and heavy coats, and we can all make sure our esteemed BK keeps warm by giving him warm hugs.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #40 on: December 05, 2004, 10:18:59 AM »

When I got to Sidewalk, the line for a free table wasn't too long, but since I was just there by myself, I was able to grab one of the two-tops that run down the middle of the restaurant.  -Everyone usually waits for a booth.  I grabbed a few sections of the Sunday paper off the bar, and started reading about the current local Arts scene while my coffee and water were brought to me...

I did order the Eggs Edwina - which I think I incorrectly described previously.  From the plate up: toasted English muffin, grilled tomato slices, thick cut bacon, fried eggs, melted fontina cheese; with breakfast potatoes on the side.  YUM!  In any case...

I'm so glad I was able to be here today - and more thankful I didn't end up sleeping through this morning.  Edwina and her daughter, Marissa, were manning the fort when I came in, and the brunch bartender finally walked in a few minutes later.  So, the service was a little off, but not really in bad way.  One of the other (off-duty, not on the schedule) kitchen guys was having brunch at the bar, and he ended pitching in getting people seated and bussing tables when needed.  I almost got up a few times myself, but Edwina and Marissa would somehow always manage to catch the attention of those who are looking for it. ;)

I didn't notice Edwina when I first got there - I guess she was running around back in the kitchen.  After a couple of minutes, someone came up behind me and gave me a big hug.  Hmm...  I was thinking it was one of my friends... And, lo and behold, it was.  It was Edwina.  She asked how I was doing, and where I had been since I hadn't been in a while.  Even her daughter had been wondering where I was.  So, I filled her in on LA and Houston, and my current and upcoming gigs.

"I'm so proud of you."

-And that's when the misty eyes first started up...

As I was eating, and as she was taking care of the other tables, we talked more and more.  She was supposed to have the knee surgery back in August, but due to blood pressure issues, they had to push it back to December.  Tomorrow in fact!  She'll be out of the hospital on Friday, and then it's six months of rest, recovery and physical therapy.

One of the ladies who was waiting at the bar heard us talking, and Edwina took that opportunity to tell her and her friends about our "history".  How's it been 18 years that we've known each other.  18 years!  -Half of my life so far.  How I'm "the best pianist in the world".  How I travel here and there.  How she would "make" me was dishes sometimes back at Stella's.  Some of my career highlights so far.  And how she considers me one of her "babies".

That was round two of the misty eyes...

-Oh, and I, of course, informed them how most of Marissa's wardrobe and orthodontic work was "paid" by me through my tips.  ;)

As I finished up, Edwina came by for another hug, and since I remembered to bring my camera, we got a nice pic taken together.  -My first pic of Edwina.  -And once I find the USB cable for my camera, I'll get the pic posted here on HHW.  And I also made sure to get Edwina's address and phone numbers.  -She is definitely getting a Christmas card from me this year!

After paying the check, I made sure to get up and meet Edwina behind the bar for a proper hug.

"I'll miss you."
"I'll miss you too."
"I love you."
"I love you too."

That's when I started leaving so that I wouldn't break down right there in the restaurant...

"I'll see you in New York, Jose!"

And I've been sort of holding back the tears every since...
Make Your Own Luck.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #41 on: December 05, 2004, 10:26:39 AM »

So happy for you DRJOSE that you got to spend some time with Edwina today.  Lovely story.  

MRBK should be in NYC by now, I think, or maybe on the way to the hotel.  So we should hear from him soon.

DRMATTH you are correct about SUMMER MAGIC not being one of Hayley's best.....it has some wonderful moments, particularly the songs - but the it doesn't really end, it just stops - but I love the songs and everyone gives a nice performance.

Lovely rug , DRPANNI, and another nice Abie picture.  Pretty colors!

Zotz....wasn't she the middle Gabor sister?

Holly is resting as well.  Her pain medication makes her sleepy which is okay.  She lays down in front of the fireplace and s l e e e e e p s!
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #42 on: December 05, 2004, 10:26:56 AM »

DRJose, what a great event today!  Edwina sounds wonderful,  and I hope you and she can keep in touch.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #43 on: December 05, 2004, 10:34:00 AM »

OH! And Santa Claus was at Sidewalk Cafe this morning too!  He was dining with Mrs. Claus, I presume (she opted to forego her traditional red and white garb this morning), along with some friends and his grand-daughter.  Who knew Santa had a grand-daughter.

As he finished up his meal, he made the rounds of the restaurant and handed out candy-canes to everyone!  I even overheard one of the young ladies at the bar confess to him that she had been bad this year.  "Well, you know, Santa likes it when you've been bad."

:o

After Santa paid his check - no free-meals for Ole St. Nick! - he headed outside and got on his sleigh.  Well, more like his motorcycle!  He put a helmet on his grand-daughter, put her on the "back seat" and they drove off down Main Street.

And that, my friends, marked the official start of the Christmas Season!

;D
Make Your Own Luck.

Noel

• Husband (10th year), father and songwriter
    • Musings on musicals
« Reply #44 on: December 05, 2004, 10:47:17 AM »

"I got hold of a 19-page, single-spaced outline of an upcoming episode of "Queer Eye for the Straight Guy." Every moment is planned in advance, including a few specific lines for the straight guy to deliver, which Bravo says is not unusual for any reality show. It's something that people in Hollywood know and think is no big deal."
der ever-suspicious Brucer

I think a check of the archives will show that I said this same thing months and months ago.

And, not to turn a humorous post serious, but I'd think WGA members like Panni and Pogue would be up in arms about this.  It's a typical labor-management struggle.  Management (in this case, TV networks) feel they're paying too much money to union writers.  So, they figure out how to put out a product that doesn't use union writers (or, in the Queer Eye case, any writer who gets a credit).

To be clear, I'm not saying that reality shows should have been covered under a union agreement.  Instead of putting a fictional (that is, "written") drama or comedy on the air, the networks are churning out so-called "reality" shows, where they can satisfy the public's demand for entertainment without paying those Union rates.

And don't feel bad if you're in the audience.  It has little to do with you.  Queer Eye is my favorite of the "reality" shows, and DW Joy keeps threatening to submit me for it.

Actually, at one point, she complained I'm not black enough for her: that black culture - in dress, music, the way I move, interior decoration and food - had completely eluded me.  I had to agree, and was willing to submit myself to the TV show that would make me over under the tutelage of five fabulous African-Americans.

I chickened out when I learned the show's title: Black Eye for the White Guy.
In this family, when words won't do, there's gotta be a song.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #45 on: December 05, 2004, 10:57:17 AM »

Hmm... I don't think BK gets into New York until sometime around 3:00 or 4:00 this afternoon.  If his plane left at 8:00am PST, then... The "math" always confuses me... However, I think he did post that his arrival time would be sometime this afternoon EST... I think...

Now I just need to think what I'm going to do with the rest of my day.  Lots of things I should get done.  Lots of things I need to get done.  Just a matter of prioritizing.  However, I have a feeling I'll just be taking care of things as I come across them.

Unfortunately, it does look like I won't be heading up to NYC tomorrow even though I would like to.  The thought of commuting eight to twelve hours tomorrow before an 11-hour rehearsal day is just not a thought I'd like to think about.  Please know that I'll be there in spirit, and I'm sure one of the H/K's will pass on my hugs by proxy.  Alas, if BK must bitch-slap me with a wet noodle the next time we meet in person, so be it.

In the meantime, I'll be playing a few hours of auditions for the upcoming production of Big River up at Ford's.  They're auditioning locals for the incoming Theatre Deaf West production that's coming in the spring.  Then it's most likely a few hours of keyboard programming.. Then...

Well, I have some stuff to attend to in the kitchen.. I'll be checking in between tasks... I hope.  -Meaning, I hope I get some tasks done, not that I hope I'll be checking in.

:)

;)
Make Your Own Luck.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #46 on: December 05, 2004, 11:00:09 AM »

DRNOEL were you able to find a good deal on your airplane ticket?
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #47 on: December 05, 2004, 11:08:58 AM »

Panni the color of your rug warms up the room and goes nicely with the beautiful throw blanket Abie is on.  Is that only a blanket or do I also see a matching throw pillow?  BTW, Abie looks sweet when he sleeps.  What does he look like when he is running? :)

Jose your story of today with Edwina has me all teary eyed.

JRand I suppose sleep is the best thing for Holly while she recovers.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2004, 11:11:21 AM by Jane »

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #48 on: December 05, 2004, 11:10:55 AM »

OH! And Santa Claus was at Sidewalk Cafe this morning too!  He was dining with Mrs. Claus, I presume (she opted to forego her traditional red and white garb this morning), along with some friends and his grand-daughter.  Who knew Santa had a grand-daughter.
And the reason you thought Mrs. Claus was still a virgin after all these years is...???

As he finished up his meal, he made the rounds of the restaurant and handed out candy-canes to everyone!  I even overheard one of the young ladies at the bar confess to him that she had been bad this year.  "Well, you know, Santa likes it when you've been bad."
Which explains his jolly "Ho-ho-ho," if you ask me!

Jane

« Reply #49 on: December 05, 2004, 11:15:58 AM »

MBarnum I just read the interesting article on Cal Bolder.  Is there a link for your other article?  It was  also a reminder for me to pick up THE LAST REUNION so I can read it after WRITER’S BLOCK.

Jane

« Reply #50 on: December 05, 2004, 11:21:54 AM »

One of Echo’s symptoms is her back right leg drags.  As it became progressively worse we purchased little booties in anticipation of the day her toe nail would become worn down to the point of bleeding.  Today she needed to wear the bootie for the first time.  

I couldn’t stop laughing during our walk as she sounded like a horse with only one horse shoe.  Eventually the toe nail will grow back and hopefully we will be able to walk without the bootie.  If not she did surprisingly well with it and didn’t seem to mind.  She has been amazingly good through all of this.

MBarnum

« Reply #51 on: December 05, 2004, 11:32:51 AM »

MBarnum I just read the interesting article on Cal Bolder.  Is there a link for your other article?  It was  also a reminder for me to pick up THE LAST REUNION so I can read it after WRITER’S BLOCK.

Thanks for checking out the interview, Jane! There won't be a link for the entire interview as it will appear in the magazine Filmfax, which is not on-line...it you would find at your local Borders or Barnes and Noble bookstore.

But do get Cal's book...it is very good! I was quite amazed that he was such a talented writer. Unfortunately due to his going through chemo right now I think his second book has not been finished yet.

MBarnum

« Reply #52 on: December 05, 2004, 11:34:08 AM »

I did also notice that on Horror-wood.com they referred to Cal Bolder as Cal Boulder...I e-mailed them to see if they could correct it. I haven't told Cal about the interview being up yet as I didn't want him to see the misspelling!

Jane

« Reply #53 on: December 05, 2004, 11:54:45 AM »

MBarnum I actually meant your article in Scarlet Street on Peggy Webber.  I went back and re-read my question-oops, I didn't state that fact.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2004, 11:56:57 AM by Jane »

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #54 on: December 05, 2004, 11:55:48 AM »

I think I might be about to put us into Cinerama, or at the very least, VistaVision.  If so, I will correct.
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

JMK

« Reply #55 on: December 05, 2004, 12:03:28 PM »

In the "will he ever shut up about her?" department:

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

JMK

« Reply #56 on: December 05, 2004, 12:05:02 PM »

This article just came out a couple of days ago.  It ran in several regional newspapers around Portland.  I've already gotten quite a few cryptic emails from people, LOL.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #57 on: December 05, 2004, 12:37:01 PM »

I've already gotten quite a few cryptic emails from people, LOL.
Letter substitution, or just strange?   ::)

MBarnum

« Reply #58 on: December 05, 2004, 12:38:40 PM »

DRJane, likewise with the Peggy Webber interview. That one is not on-line either, just in print in the magazine Scarlet Street...which also can be purchased at finer book stores! LOL!

JMK, which Portland publications printed your Frances Farmer article?

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #59 on: December 05, 2004, 12:48:22 PM »

DR JMK,

Is there a link to the compete article?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Up