Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: THE RODRIGUEZ EFFECT  (Read 22585 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
THE RODRIGUEZ EFFECT
« on: December 05, 2004, 10:38:15 PM »

Well, you've read the notes, you've flown with me from coast to coast, and now it is time for you to post until the no-show cows come home.  To it, I say, and let's keep it lively and sparkling, and keep the home fries burning, and I'll have a full report for you with photographs on our signing party and subsequent bash at Joe Allen's.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2004, 10:03:48 PM by bk »

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
Re:THE RODRIGUEZ EFFECT
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2004, 10:45:05 PM »

I think I saw Olga Rodriguez on Ventura Blvd earlier this evening. She was looking for her suitcase.

Tomovoz

« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2004, 10:45:50 PM »

Any flight from Melbourne OZ to London UK is a horror story. 30 hours or whatever is HELL but what do we do we fly. Will Olga be at the Book signing?
The Olgas are a scenic attraction in Central Australia. (They are now usually called by their Aboriginal name - which of course I forget and am too lazy to research).
« Last Edit: December 05, 2004, 10:47:30 PM by Tomovoz »
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2004, 10:55:58 PM »

Travel story... I was once on an airliner heading for Switzerland which stood on the tarmac in Montreal one night for WAY over an hour. Each time they got ready to take off, they would discover something else that needed fixing. I finally had enough and my then husband and I, along with a number of other passengers, said we wanted to get off. I for one did not want to fly over the ocean on a plane that had parts being replaced left and right.
Well, we were told that we could not get off. That's right. Verbotten. No getting off this plane. One little old Jewish guy tried to fight his way off, threatening to punch out the steward. Finally, my then husband, who had at one time hosted a supper hour news show on the CBC, told the head steward that he was a journalist and if they didn't want this little story all over the CBC news tomorrow, they should let us off PRONTO. Which they did. A group of us, including the combatitive old Jew, were led off the plane. We were given a package of goodies by Swissair and were put up at a hotel near the airport. My then husband refused to take the package of goodies - journalisitic standards, wouldn't you know. My package contained all sorts of great stuff, including a nifty pair of red pajamas which I kept for years. The plane eventually took off without us. It made it across the ocean. We took off the next day on another flight and lived to tell the tale.
The End.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2004, 11:08:31 PM »

Good Morning!

Travel horror stories...  Thankfully, I've never been stuck on a plane during a delay, but I've had a few delayed flights, missed connections, etc.  Nothing truly horrific, just mainly inconvenient.  -The hassle I went through when flying out of Bush in Houston last month would have to be the most "horrific" thing I've been through.

I usually don't mind delays.  They give me time to relax, eat, read, explore the airport, etc.  And sometimes, like DR Panni, you end up getting some neat stuff as compensation for the delay.

The only times I do get nervous flying are when my connection window is very short.  "Run, Forrest, run!"  There have been a couple of times where I've run right off one plane and right onto another.  When I flew back into the States from Australia last year, I had just under two hours from the time I landed to make it through customs and the domestic check-in process in San Francisco.  That was an almost close call.

OH.. There was that one Amtrak trip up to NYC a couple of years ago.  It started snowing.   Hard.  They stopped the train in Philadelphia.  But then about an hour later, the snow stopped, the temps warmed up really fast, and I was in New York about 90 minutes late.  And the sun was shining!  Lots of slush on the street, however.

Well, I'm starting to ramble...  And we all know what that means...
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2004, 11:14:29 PM »

BK - Glad you made it to NYC!  I really am sorry I won't be able to make it up there tomorrow/today.  Time is really of the essence for me right now.  And as much as I'd love to see you and the rest of the gang tomorrow, I'd only be able to spend an eight hour "day" in NYC, and that's just not enough time to truly relax and enjoy it.  -Also, I received some unpleasant news earlier tonight.  It doesn't affect me directly, but it will make the next few days a bit interesting.  So...  Sorry to digress.

Please know that I'll be there in spirit.  You've written a great book, a clever mystery, and an all around damn good read!  Once again, Congratulations!  Have a shrimp on me!

(Hmm.. "a shrimp on me".. Hmm..)
« Last Edit: December 05, 2004, 11:17:39 PM by JoseSPiano »
Make Your Own Luck.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2004, 11:28:22 PM »

The only bad experience traveling that I've had was the one time I went to New York.  On the way back, we got to the airport, but went to the wrong airline's check-in counter.  We were in line for about 45 minutes waiting, before someone realized that one of the family in our group went to a different place.  THEN we realized that we were in the wrong place and had to RUN with all of our bagage to the right place.  It was too late.  The one family got on the flight and they took off!  The organizer of the tour went and spoke with the airline people.  There were about 15 or so people who missed the flight!  We were able to get flights to the airline's hub in St. Louis and be put up for the night there.  Actually, we were in the hotel for only about 4 hours.  The next morning, we were all able to get flights to Seattle...a whole day late.  Other than that the trip and the flights themselves were pretty fun.  I discovered that I actually like flying! ;D
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Jed

« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2004, 11:37:30 PM »

Last night, my dear cyberfather, TCB, pondered...
Hmm, or did he smile more after the bitch-slap???

...Some questions are best left unanswered.

Anyway, as Ann posted earlier, Tom was far and away the best part of the show.  Yes, the music was canned and the scene changes were endless, but it was just some fun holiday entertainment.  Can't wait until the day when I actually get to share a stage with my cyberdad!
« Last Edit: December 05, 2004, 11:46:00 PM by Jed »
I sat beside the class clown... and I studied him

M. Brandon

« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2004, 12:31:43 AM »

On the last day of a family trip to Florida, my father drove us to the wrong airport.  We arrived at Ft. Lauderdale nice and early and checked in only to discover that our plane flew out of Miami.  We hopped back in our car and sped the hell over to Miami.  Luckily, our plane hadn't taken off yet, but my dad still had to return the rental car.  We checked our bags and rushed to our gate.  The plane was boarding, but we had to wait for my dad.  They told us we had 5 minutes before they closed the doors and the plane left.  My mom stood at the bottom of the escalator waiting for my father.  My sister and I sat in the uncomfy chairs.  At one point I got up and stood right behind my mother, humming "Coro a bucca chuisa" from Madama Butterfly (the music where Cio-Cio-San waits silently for Pinkerton.)  Mums didn't find it so funny.  My father did arrive just in time to get on the plane, and we made it home safe, but there was a lot of stress there that needn't have been.

Who do you save when your house is on fire?
Don't bring the guy who lit the match!

Danise

« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2004, 03:38:40 AM »

Maybe Olga has the answer to my $54.00 question.  

Morning all! I must run for the bus.
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2004, 05:02:28 AM »

A woman in our building, Andrea, opened a travel agency. We thought it would be neighborly to give her some business. We booked a trip to Key West. The route seemed a bit strange, as we had to change planes in Philadelphia. Unfortunately, we learned in Philadelphia that we hadn't been booked on a connecting flight and had to spend the night (our expense, and in summery clothes on a wintry night) in a hotel near the airport. Next morning we continued on to Fort Lauderdale, for another connecting flight. ("Just get your tickets when you land there - planes leave all day long.") We learned in Fort Lauderdale that there hadn't been service between that airport and Key West for over a year. (So we rented a car.)

Neighbors Katie and Doug, schoolteachers, booked their March break through Andrea. They were to leave on a Sunday. Andrea called them on Saturday morning, saying there was a flight available that afternoon - so they could squeeze an extra day into their long-planned-for vacation. They arrived at the airport to find that nobody knew what they were talking about. Unhappily, Andrea had already cancelled their Sunday flight.

Phil and Mary had Andrea book them a trip to Hawaii. They were told to pick up their tickets at the airport, but when they tried checking in, the attendant said there was no record. Of the bunch, they had the best luck as they managed to find another flight later that day.

I ran into Andrea not too long after these episodes and she told me she wouldn't be booking neighbors' trips any longer. "The airlines just keep screwing up," she said, "and it's getting embarrassing for me."
« Last Edit: December 06, 2004, 05:05:51 AM by Dan-in-Toronto »

Ben

« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2004, 05:20:01 AM »

Well, I haven't been around much since Thursday afternoon but I'm here about to run out for BC/EFA volunteering. I shall be at the book signing, but will probably make it by the skin of my teeth (almost Thornton Wilder reference) since I will try to see some of the first night of Gypsy of the Year which is at the Neil Simon Theatre and begins at 4:30

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2004, 05:32:19 AM »

Once heading back from Miami we were told that our flight had been delayed for a couple of hours - a maintenance problem in Toronto. Within minutes, folks started kvetching - and soon the attitudes got a little ugly. One chap in the waiting area spoke up and said there's no point in complaining. Safety is the main issue; we're going to be stuck, so why not make the most of it and just read or chat pleasantly. This guy wasn't pedantic, just sensible, and within moments everyone was in a friendly mood. It was astonishing how he had turned things around so quickly. When I introduced myself, I learned that he was the founder and head of one of the best known building companies in Toronto. It was easy to understand how he had become so successful.

Michael

« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2004, 05:43:46 AM »

Once heading back from Miami we were told that our flight had been delayed for a couple of hours - a maintenance problem in Toronto. Within minutes, folks started kvetching - and soon the attitudes got a little ugly. One chap in the waiting area spoke up and said there's no point in complaining. Safety is the main issue; we're going to be stuck, so why not make the most of it and just read or chat pleasantly. This guy wasn't pedantic, just sensible, and within moments everyone was in a friendly mood. It was astonishing how he had turned things around so quickly. When I introduced myself, I learned that he was the founder and head of one of the best known building companies in Toronto. It was easy to understand how he had become so successful.

That or he saw Bells Are Ringing and remembered  the "Hello Scene" on the stuck subway train.
Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2004, 05:47:53 AM »

Received an email that Oliver (the musical not the singer) is coming to Fort LAuderdale in February. Anyone know anything about this production? Non-equity? Equity?
Never stop dreaming.

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2004, 05:48:27 AM »

DR Michael,

LOL!

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2004, 05:49:14 AM »

DR BK,

I think "The Rodriguez Effect" is a great title for your next mystery.

Emily

« Reply #17 on: December 06, 2004, 06:01:31 AM »

My dad got stuck sitting next to our former Prime Minister Brian Mulroney once on a flight from Toronto to Montreal.  He says that was by far the worst travel experience he ever had because the guy WOULD NOT shut up and seemed to get angry that my father wasn't making a big deal that he was sitting next to him.  

Can I get some vibes for my Issues in CDN Democracy exam this afternoon?  Merci bien! :)
"We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true" except at HHW of course! - Robert Wilensky

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #18 on: December 06, 2004, 06:20:50 AM »

One more airplane experience.

We flew the cheapy Air TransAt to England about eight years ago. No sooner were we aloft than all the lights went out. We made an emergency landing at Montreal's Mirabel (aka White Elephant) Airport. At one in the morning, there were virtually no other souls in the airport - no restaurants, snack bars, etc. A couple of hours later we re-boarded. A passenger asked a flight attendant if it would be possible to get a cup of tea. "I don't think so," she snapped. "This is Air TransAt."

Noel

• Husband (10th year), father and songwriter
    • Musings on musicals
« Reply #19 on: December 06, 2004, 06:48:24 AM »

I'm pretty sure that's the non-Equity tour of Oliver!
In this family, when words won't do, there's gotta be a song.

Noel

• Musings on musicals
« Reply #20 on: December 06, 2004, 06:54:59 AM »

It looks like I'm putting off my haircut until tomorrow or Thursday, so I'll look majorly unkempt at the signing and the nightcap.  Some of you may have served under Maj. Lee Unkempt in the Army: Hellish it was, and, unaccountably, he was a neatness freak.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #21 on: December 06, 2004, 06:59:27 AM »

It is a non-Equity tour of Mackintosh's production of OLIVER! I remember reading an interview in VARIETY some months ago in which Cameron defended non-Equity tours of things like OLIVER! saying it was the only way it would make money.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #22 on: December 06, 2004, 07:08:46 AM »

Travel horror stories? Only one.

It was the summer before my senior year in high school, and my aunt took my mom and me with her to Mexico for three weeks. The plans was to arrive in Mexico City and stay a week, then take the bus to Taxco for two-three days, then the bus to Acapulco for a week, and then fly back for a few final days back in Mexico City. A very elaborate and special vacation.

The first night in Mexico City, we arrived very late only to find that our hotel (The Alameda) was overbooked and there was no room for us. The hotel sent us to a nearby flea-bag place, and our room (only one available) HAD been freshly painted, so we thougfht maybe one night there would be OK. It was noisy, the paint fumes were still pretty strong, and we noticed painted over roaches in the corners.

Anyway, my aunt was so angry about a nice hotel like The Alameda not guaranteeing us a room that she said we would go back there and sleep in the lobby if we had to until they gave us our rooms. This we did, and as we waited in the lobby for the rooms to be prepared, we glanced at an English newspaper on a sofa and noticed that there had been a murder committed at the flea-bag motel three days before that was still under investigation. We think the murder had happened in our room and the paint was hiding blood stains or some such remnants of the murder. The newspaper account didn't say which room, but the fresh paint seemed just too coincidental.

Matt H.

« Reply #23 on: December 06, 2004, 07:11:54 AM »

On that same Mexico trip, on the flight back to Miami, we had to circle Maimi for two hours due to a raging storm down below. But I wasn't scared for some reason. I think now I'd probably be petrified.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #24 on: December 06, 2004, 07:12:10 AM »

Good Morning!

Well, I need to make this quick... Need to get downtown... And then...  ???

I received a call from someone in NYC this morning... :)

-Yes, that's meant to be cryptic...

RE: The Non-Equity tour of OLIVER - It's actually a pretty decent production - at least it was a year ago.  The pit is small(!), but they manage well with the synths.  However, after finding out just what "concessions" were made in regards to the pay scale for all involved even for this non-AEA tour... You'd help actors out more by going to a local restaurant and tipping your waiter/waitress well.

Laters...
Make Your Own Luck.

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #25 on: December 06, 2004, 07:18:15 AM »

I think this is one of Myron Cohen's.

An old Jewish man has never flown before, and he's quite nervous. A few minutes after he gets settled, a big, heavy, football-player-type plops down in the seat next to him and immediately falls asleep.

The plane takes off, and soon the old man starts to feel a little airsick. Before he can help himself, he throws up all over his companion.

About five minutes later the big guy wakes up, looks down, and sees the vomit all over him.

"So," asks the old man . . . "are you feeling a little better now?"

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #26 on: December 06, 2004, 07:22:10 AM »

I slept very well here in New York, New York.  I'm meeting Skip Kennon at noon so I must get ready shortly.

Danise, what is the question?  I must have missed it in yesterday's posts.

Emily

« Reply #27 on: December 06, 2004, 07:37:35 AM »

We flew the cheapy Air TransAt to England about eight years ago. No sooner were we aloft than all the lights went out. We made an emergency landing at Montreal's Mirabel (aka White Elephant) Airport.

This is the same airport that was used for many of the shots in one of BK's more recently viewed films - the Terminal.

At least Mirabel is getting SOME use.

My sister and her boyfriend had a chartered flight to England this summer which departed from Mirabel.  My father drove them to the airport.  When they got there, the place looked absolutely deserted - maybe 50 cars in parking lots made for 10 000 vehicles, a single dejected taxi and only one open door going into the terminal.

The place should be taken out of its misery and turned into condos.

*COUGH COUGH*

MY VIBES PLEASE!!! :)
« Last Edit: December 06, 2004, 07:37:49 AM by Emily »
"We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true" except at HHW of course! - Robert Wilensky

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #28 on: December 06, 2004, 07:42:38 AM »

I've traveled enough over the last two decades to gather all sorts of fun travel stories.

Two that stick out in particular both involve delays.  One was the time der Brucer and I were returning from Philly to Long Beach, some time during the late summer.  When everyone was already on the jet, it was announced that we couldn't take off as of yet, because of the stormy weather ahead.  So we sat there and sat there...eventually, we did take off, but it was way too late for us to make our connection in Phoenix.  Not only did we miss our scheduled connection, but the following (and last) connection as well.  Luckily, I'd planned ahead and scheduled an extra vacation day after we were supposed to get home, so I didn't miss any work.  (The stormy weather, as it turned out, was neither in Phoenix nor Philly, but in between.  It seemed someone with the airline didn't want to send the jet around the storm.  It would have cost them too much.  So instead they had to pay for everyone who missed their connections staying overnight in Phoenix!)
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Noel

• Musings on musicals
« Reply #29 on: December 06, 2004, 07:53:26 AM »

Skip Kennon and his librettist Jack Viertel both attended Area 51 - The Musical.  That was four and three quarters years ago, but it's possible, BK, he'll talk of nothing else.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8   Go Up